HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Over/Under until Bobrovsky is the starter?

Old
12-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Just give us one more defenseman that knows how to defend and we will be ok.

Lets just take a look at this

Kimmo - Coburn

Carle - Bourdon

Lilja - Mez

Thats a defense that should be able to at least push sides to the perimeter. The amount of shots in the rangers game that were taken from the slot, 2 on 1's, 1 on 1's. Was a complete joke. Then you have to look at the rebounds. Yeah Bryz has been pretty bad, and giving up rebounds, but you don't expect the puck to sit there infront of the goaltender for a good 3 seconds while the shooter gets another go.

We have deeper problems than goaltending. But the easy out is to blame Bryz. Covering up for a lot more than shoddy Goaltending IMO

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:40 AM
s3x

It's not going to happen this year. Executives don't look highly on dishing out $51 million for an investment only to see it written off. And Laviolette knows this without anyone having to say anything to him -- because if it was a coaching decision, Bob would already be the starter.

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Pandl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Kimmo - Coburn

Carle - Bourdon

Lilja - Mez

Thats a defense that should be able to at least push sides to the perimeter. The amount of shots in the rangers game that were taken from the slot, 2 on 1's, 1 on 1's. Was a complete joke. Then you have to look at the rebounds. Yeah Leighton has been pretty bad, and giving up rebounds, but you don't expect the puck to sit there infront of the goaltender for a good 3 seconds while the shooter gets another go.

We have deeper problems than goaltending. But the easy out is to blame Leighton. Covering up for a lot more than shoddy Goaltending IMO
What I read last year.

Pandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:57 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

Kimmo - Coburn

Carle - Bourdon

Lilja - Mez

Thats a defense that should be able to at least push sides to the perimeter. The amount of shots in the rangers game that were taken from the slot, 2 on 1's, 1 on 1's. Was a complete joke. Then you have to look at the rebounds. Yeah Bryz has been pretty bad, and giving up rebounds, but you don't expect the puck to sit there infront of the goaltender for a good 3 seconds while the shooter gets another go.

We have deeper problems than goaltending. But the easy out is to blame Bryz. Covering up for a lot more than shoddy Goaltending IMO

I think that's more of a matter of us getting behind in the game. When we're losing Laviolette impresses our defensemen to force the issue even more at the point of attack. Because of that there are a lot of odd-man breaks against us when we're losing.

The problems in the slot stem generally on our defensemen not named Coburn, Meszaros, and Timonen. And even then, Coburn and Meszaros have a lapses every once in a long while.

That said, our defense even without Pronger does a GREAT job at clearing out rebounds and second opportunities. Coupled with the low shot totals we're giving up...

Honestly, we're 5th in the NHL in SA/G with 28.6, but at the same time, we're 18th in GA/G with 28.5.

We paid for a goalie that's used to getting peppered and stopping a number of shots. In actuality, we wanted a solid first save goalie who covers a lot of net so that it doesn't matter how many shots he gets hit with because he's not going to see a lot of action in Philadelphia.

We want a goalie who can stay focused through long lapses, not necessarily a superstar that can stop 10 shots in 20 seconds.

I can't believe I'm saying this...but we'd probably be much better with Weber/Suter + Leighton than Bryzgalov + whatever defensemen Weber/Suter would replace.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:

Kimmo - Coburn

Carle - Bourdon

Lilja - Mez

These are the excuses that were used for Bob and Boosh. The EXACT same ones. We got Bryz because he's supposedly good enough to succeed in these conditions. So far he most definitely isn't.

12-24-2011, 12:34 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
These are the excuses that were used for Bob and Boosh. The EXACT same ones. We got Bryz because he's supposedly good enough to succeed in these conditions. So far he most definitely isn't.
Exactly. He got the big bucks to be a standout goalie. He hasn't stood out in a good way at all.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Then maybe it's the system and not the goaltender? Thats the entire point of the post.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Then maybe it's the system and not the goaltender? Thats the entire point of the post.
Bob and Boucher did just fine in the same system. Other goalies do fine on worse teams. Bryz is paid to be a top 5 goalie, and right now he ranks in the bottom 5, with his backup outperforming him overall. I find this disturbing. Not all goaltenders are heavily reliant on their defense, and the idea behind getting Bryz is that he would be one of those goalies.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Exactly. He got the big bucks to be a standout goalie. He hasn't stood out in a good way at all.

Just because you give a goalie big bucks does not mean he is a top goalie. I really want to know what the Flyers used to evaluate Bryz. Considering the system he came from really makes a difference in performance.

Goalies are very difficult to evaluate because alot of there success and failure can be attributed to the talent and system around them. The flyers play a pretty open style of hockey with many scoring opportunities. Alot of time our forwards are out of position , and some times our dmen are out of position because they come up to make a play. These are all factors that hurt goaltenders. If you're forwards and dmen play more conservative your goalie will benefit simple as that.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:16 PM
DenverBoone

Well, as long as research on active galactic neuclei is unfinished, I'm afraid Universe will keep on tuning out from time to time.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Mgkibbles

The Flyers occasional scattered brain team defense certainly doesn't help, but in no game this year has Bryz been outstanding, nor has he "stole" a game. Maybe he's been playing through an injury, or maybe Phoenix and Anheim play styles made him look better than he really is. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know Bobrovksy has been the better goalie thus far, granted Bob's sample size is small.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Bob and Boucher did just fine in the same system. Other goalies do fine on worse teams. Bryz is paid to be a top 5 goalie, and right now he ranks in the bottom 5, with his backup outperforming him overall. I find this disturbing. Not all goaltenders are heavily reliant on their defense, and the idea behind getting Bryz is that he would be one of those goalies.
Couldn't agree more. Personally, I think it's pathetic how much excuse-making is going on for Bryz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Just because you give a goalie big bucks does not mean he is a top goalie. I really want to know what the Flyers used to evaluate Bryz. Considering the system he came from really makes a difference in performance.

Goalies are very difficult to evaluate because alot of there success and failure can be attributed to the talent and system around them. The flyers play a pretty open style of hockey with many scoring opportunities. Alot of time our forwards are out of position , and some times our dmen are out of position because they come up to make a play. These are all factors that hurt goaltenders. If you're forwards and dmen play more conservative your goalie will benefit simple as that.
That's completely irrelevant. The point is that he's paid like a top goalie.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:37 PM
cheesesteak

Bob was really solid in his last start he should get the next game. It hasn't been all Bryz though I mean 2 deflections, and a whole bunch of other bad deflections, but he gets no excuses with that contract. I don't know what Homer was thinking 9 years when Bob should be ready in 3-5 years maybe sooner, and Bryz hasn't been worth the money so far he hasn't really stole a game. Bryz without a doubt has been a disappointed so far.

It annoys me when the media uses Bryzgalovs record to say he's playing good. Bob has a better win/save % right not. Bryz needs to get it together. He's not the reason this team is near the top right now.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Couldn't agree more. Personally, I think it's pathetic how much excuse-making is going on for Bryz.

That's completely irrelevant. The point is that he's paid like a top goalie.

And what i was saying was Salary does not = performance. Numerous athletes have never lived up to the size of their contracts. The size of the contracts usually came from the team's desperation to believe that this player is greater than he is. Its time to set aside salary and just look at how he plays the position.

Old
12-24-2011, 06:27 PM
rafman522

ITs all very shaky... during our 7 game win streak i was very impressed with Bryzgalov. He made all the big saves and he was rolling. Its much too early to completely waive this guy off. However if this continues throughout the year it will be interesting at the end if there is an amnesty clause do we drop Bryz or maybe Pronger.

This rangers game we just played bad defensively. and that obviously made Bryz look even worse

rafman522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:

The Ed Snider "If you don't get me the best goalie on the free agent market, you're all ****ing fired" evaluation method.

Eight more years of this, boys. Enjoy.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:30 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Same number of WINS as Lou, Elliot, Quick and Lundqvist. I will take wins over stats any day!

I believe Hockey is still a Team Sport!

Last edited by OzFlyer: 12-26-2011 at 04:41 AM.
OzFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:43 AM
tuckrr

tI dont think bryz's NMC is an issue, say in 4 years, BOB is killing it. We keep bryz as backup, and im sure he'll waive his NMC...no goalie wants to be #2
especially one as good as bryz.

verrry different than a contract like briere's

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
Same number of WINS as Lou, Elliot, Quick and Lundqvist. I will take wins over stats any day!

yes, but winning 6-5,7-6,5-4, isnt matter of good goaltending..
i like Bryz but he didnt steal a single game yet and i think we have quite a few matches behind us

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:19 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
yes, but winning 6-5,7-6,5-4, isnt matter of good goaltending..
i like Bryz but he didnt steal a single game yet and i think we have quite a few matches behind us
If the goals dry up like they did against Boston and the Rangers that's exactly where he needs to shine. When the playoffs roll around he's going to have to win 2-1 or 3-2 games because high scoring games aren't plentiful.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
If the goals dry up like they did against Boston and the Rangers that's exactly where he needs to shine. When the playoffs roll around he's going to have to win 2-1 or 3-2 games because high scoring games aren't plentiful.
yep i agree, i mentioned these results, because someone mentioned those many victories, and i don't really think its because of our goalie.
But i don't wanna bash i like Bryz and i hope his time will come

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
The Ed Snider "If you don't get me the best goalie on the free agent market, you're all ****ing fired" evaluation method.

Eight more years of this, boys. Enjoy.

Lol. I think that Snider was really frustrated by all the fluke goals that teams scored against us. Bouch and Bob gave up some brutal goals at impossible angles. To his credit Bryz has not given up any goals like that this year.

Old
12-26-2011, 01:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post

Team sport works in averages.

Team sport does not work when it's "win this game or you're going home early."

We've had goalies forever that win because of our team. We hired Bryzgalov to win that one we game we need to win despite our team.

All Bryzgalov has proven is that he can win games in Philadelphia just like Leighton can win games in Philadelphia. In fact, Bryzgalov has had worse stats....

If we wanted a goalie that was going to win on our coattails we could've paid $1.00m. Why are we paying $5.67m? Right now, Bryzgalov is by far the most overpaid player on the team; even more than Shelley.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:02 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Lol. I think that Snider was really frustrated by all the fluke goals that teams scored against us. Bouch and Bob gave up some brutal goals at impossible angles. To his credit Bryz has not given up any goals like that this year.
No... Bryz hasn't let any goals in on the short side when he should have been hugging the post.

This never happens to Bryz... all of Bryz's goals against have been on near impossible shots

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Pandl

Note my first post and reactions.

Pandl is offline   Reply With Quote