HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So, At What Point Is It Ok To Start Believing We Can Compete For The Cup This Year?

Old
12-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Talk about it now. This is a very, very good team.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Two things though......
-Boston
-Sauer/Staal

Lets see how we play against the big yellow machine.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
First of all, no objective party would agree that we're playing as well as we possibly can right now. In fact, our ceiling is actually far higher.

We also are fans, not coaches. We don't need to toe the line with the "don't hand out playoff spots" meme. That's for them to say. As fans, we have every bit of freedom to speak as highly of our team and its potential as we want. Do I think our place in the standings means anything right now in December? Not really. I know our January and February slumps all too well. But it seems the more pressure we have the better we play.

You speak of playoffs, game 7's etc. I actually welcome it this year. No team is better conditioned than we are, and it is pretty commonly regarded throughout the league that we overall are the hardest working team. Combine that with the leagues top goal scorer and a defensive system that actually works, and I say December or not, January 2nd or not, that we have a team that has exceeded expectations and quite possibly has what it takes to go to war. Even if we slide, and slide hard, I think they've already proven what they CAN do, even when they can't. That will hold even truer if we win the biggest game in 17 years.
That is what Drubackatu is actually saying. All circumstances being considered (injuries to Wolski, Staal, Sauer, Eminger) we are playing as well as we can right now, and we really are. How much more do you want considering our defensive injuries?

As well as we have played, we do have the potential to be better once we are healthy. But I don't think any one can REASONABLY expect more from this team right now then they have done up to this point with a 21-8-4 record.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:14 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
I didnt feel like elaborating because i was drinking egg nog and watching the jets while I typed, my apoligies. I didnt mean to just dump on your point and run away, no need to talk about impulsively reacting and no logic, what are you grading a college paper? All im saying is I dont want to expect too much now and then get let down. I initially picked this team to be a 4/5 team in the conference and said we definitely have a cup shot, I mean its about whose hot in the playoffs, with the hot goalie ofcourse. My point was, anybody can have a division lead at christmas, was that 08-09 team much less skilled and competitive, hell yea, I mean the 05-06 team had just as many points through the same amount of game, but they collpased at the end, once again not as good. I completely agree with you about the character and skill, but Im saying its a little early to start feeling so confident. When we can hang around the top with boston, pitt and philly for a span of 2 months into march, then I will say alright, lets go. We havent played boston yet, they are the best team in the nhl lately. Also, philly is a shell of what that team should be with injuries and such. That being said, if staal and sauer come back well, I definitely think that we should be considered a serious contender. I have all the faith in the world in this team, I love em more than anything, that being said Im so used to heartbreak that I just dont want to set myself up for a boatload of dissappointment, stretching out what we have done so far. I want to see it on a bigger scale.
Thanks. Believe me, I know the hurt and let down all too well. I've been a Rangers fan for 27 years. I also didn't mean to sound overconfident. I just think between last night and Jan 2nd, that those games will be as tough, grueling, filled with pressure and passion, as any playoff game ever will. If we end up winning them both, the latter while in Philly, and our rookies and youth continue to stand tall, then in with rational confidence, not over confidence, wouldn't it be ok to start believing we could win any given playoff game? Wouldn't that have been proven in at least some sort of way?

Again as I said earlier, I made no mention of a division lead nor 1st place. I know that means jack ****.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:15 PM
nyrfan1026

Win or lose, the Winter Classic doesn't really mean much, just another 2 points, and that's how the team should be approaching it. If we can enter the playoffs with the big guns relatively healthy and consistently scoring, with our full defensive corps ready to go, then we may be in business. Anything is possible when you have the best goalie in the world and a hard-nosed coach whose been there, done that. A guy that his players truly believe in.

nyrfan1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:16 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
That is what he is actually saying. All circumstances being considered (injuries to Wolski, Staal, Sauer, Eminger) we are playing as well as we can right now.
But we're not. Dubi overall has been a shell of himself, though I love what I'm starting to see. Richards is still getting used to New York, and definitely can be better. Boyle has been a no show most of the season, though lately I've liked his play a bit more as well. I love fedotenko, but I think it's fair to say he has more to his game that he can reach as well.

Playing as well as we can? I don't think so for a second. Dubi gets rolling, Boyle gets rolling, the boys overall learn to actually hit the net more, and we're on a whole nother level.

Old
12-24-2011, 01:19 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
Win or lose, the Winter Classic doesn't really mean much, just another 2 points, and that's how the team should be approaching it. If we can enter the playoffs with the big guns relatively healthy and consistently scoring, with our full defensive corps ready to go, then we may be in business. Anything is possible when you have the best goalie in the world and a hard-nosed coach whose been there, done that. A guy that his players truly believe in.
You must be the only person that thinks the Winter Classic is just another game. The atmosphere will be tremendous. Pressure at an all time high. Nail biting every bit as frantic as any game 7 in the playoffs. Bragging rights every bit as exciting. Now granted, the team needs to be focused and prepare for it like any other game. But we don't. To us, it's a hell of a lot more than a regular game and a hell of a test the result of which will be in our heads for quite some time.

Old
12-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

But I do have to say, I want that Atlantic...the presdients trophy might be a little too much, but I want to win that division. 05-06 still kills me, blowing that lead down the stretch. I want it now.

Giglio NYR15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:21 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Talk about it now. This is a very, very good team.
Holy fughck Jonathan I thought you were about to blast the **** out of me lol

Cheers!

Old
12-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Holy fughck Jonathan I thought you were about to blast the **** out of me lol

Cheers!
Hell no. I've been saying all along how great our team is. Gotta believe, man.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:23 PM
nyrfan1026

Quote:
You must be the only person that thinks the Winter Classic is just another game. The atmosphere will be tremendous. Pressure at an all time high. Nail biting every bit as frantic as any game 7 in the playoffs. Bragging rights every bit as exciting. Now granted, the team needs to be focused and prepare for it like any other game. But we don't. To us, it's a hell of a lot more than a regular game and a hell of a test the result of which will be in our heads for quite some time.
If we win, then its just 2 points of many more to come. If we lose, then the team puts it behind them and its on the next one.

Of course we want the two points over a divisional rival, just like we did last night, no?

Its a good early test, but we'll be no better a team if we win, no worse if we lose.

Old
12-24-2011, 01:23 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
In no way shape or for am I trying to be a dick because for the most part I do agree with you but, the proper word there is ADVERSITY.
Yup. That's what happens when you play MW3 and type at the same time lol.

Not sure I've ever made that mistake. Not gonna check, but pretty sure I just made it twice in this same thread.

Old
12-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Achene*

We need more than three guys whom we aren't surprised to see score.

We have seen the Rangers do this time and time again since the lockout. Lundqvist carries the team to success early while other teams in the league get better. Barely hold onto a playoff spot to get knocked out in the first or second round.

Achene* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:26 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
If we win, then its just 2 points of many more to come. If we lose, then the team puts it behind them and its on the next one.

Of course we want the two points over a divisional rival, just like we did last night, no?

Its a good early test, but we'll be no better a team if we win, no worse if we lose.
To most of your points; duh.

To the last, that's where you're angle is wrong. The point wasn't that we'd be better for it. The point is that as fans, we'd be able to believe we had already in fact been and can continue to be, that good.

Old
12-24-2011, 01:28 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Hell no. I've been saying all along how great our team is. Gotta believe, man.
I was surprised out of ignorance. Admittedly, I haven't read much on this board in a while. I just thought you were the eternal cynic?

Old
12-24-2011, 01:29 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achene View Post
We need more than three guys whom we aren't surprised to see score.

We have seen the Rangers do this time and time again since the lockout. Lundqvist carries the team to success early while other teams in the league get better. Barely hold onto a playoff spot to get knocked out in the first or second round.
No way you can compare this team to those. Those teams didn't even begin to have the depth, consistency and leadership that we have now. In fact, they were fairly one dimensional.

Old
12-24-2011, 01:32 PM
nyrfan1026

Quote:
To most of your points; duh.

To the last, that's where you're angle is wrong. The point wasn't that we'd be better for it. The point is that as fans, we'd be able to believe we had already in fact been and can continue to be, that good.
It will be a good measuring stick against a top rival that is playing equally just as good hockey as our team. If we lose, the disappointment could be erased by following it up with a 3 game winning streak, or the excitement of a victory could be derailed by a losing streak.
Either way, this team is tough as nails, built for playoff hockey, with the best goalie in the world and a coach whose already been there.

Point is, health as always will be our number one concern.

Old
Achene*

Quote:
No way you can compare this team to those. Those teams didn't even begin to have the depth, consistency and leadership that we have now. In fact, they were fairly one dimensional.
I want to agree with you, but it's deja vu when I look at the GF and GA.

Achene* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Stop the knee jerk reaction. I said nothing about a division lead nor 1st place. Instead, I speak of character.

Most team's bases don't wait until March until they believe their team has what it takes to compete. In fact, I find the notion silly.

After what we've shown so far, throughout a ton of diversity, if we can win a game that will have as much or more pressure as any playoff game can, if our youth can stand tall through it, while in Philly, then why the heck should we have to wait till March to believe? What would give us reason not to believe?

You impulsively reacted yet you gave no logic to fortify it. Can you elaborate?
I'll put in my two cents worth; when your a long time fan, you tend to temper your enthusiasm a bit due to all the failure in the past. That being said, I honestly believe that we need another legit goal scorer(preferably a big bodied guy like Ryan), our defense has to be 100% healthy and the players need to collectively continue to buy in and bring their hard hats to work every game. Even then, I still feel our team is not talented enough to handle teams like the Pens and Flyers(who are also far from healthy) nor big and physical enough to handle the Bruins in playoff series.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
For this board and Rangers fans in general?

Probably game 7, 3 minutes to go, we're up 4-1
I f***in love it! I feel exactly the same way.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
But we're not. Dubi overall has been a shell of himself, though I love what I'm starting to see. Richards is still getting used to New York, and definitely can be better. Boyle has been a no show most of the season, though lately I've liked his play a bit more as well. I love fedotenko, but I think it's fair to say he has more to his game that he can reach as well.

Playing as well as we can? I don't think so for a second. Dubi gets rolling, Boyle gets rolling, the boys overall learn to actually hit the net more, and we're on a whole nother level.
Yeah and what if has Dubi and Boyle turn it on some one else slumps? Im a huge optimist but... were 21-8-4 missing Staal, Sauer, Eminger, Wolski... I think many of us would be happy if this was our record and completely healthy. 21-8-4 is spectacular all things considered.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:40 PM
wr50l

Quote:
I don't understand your position. In fact I was just thinking last night (as he made a great breakway stop on the penalty kill) that Hank hasn't had nearly as many one-man show type games this year as past years. The team is regularly playing defence and scoring enough goals and only occassionally has Henrik been called upon to do the unbelievable for entire games.

wr50l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
not worried as in - it might be a good idea to do deals at the deadline ?

or not worried as in - you dont think Glenn will do much at the deadline ?
I think a deal is possible at the dead line. What that deal might be for... well, I have a very hard time visualizing it at this point. Teams can always be improved on paper, but the reality of team chemistry and other factors will effect the decisions.

The Rangers have been extremely stingy in parting with assets, I'm thankful to say. I hope that continues.

The only area I have concern with is one that was exposed a bit in the St. Louis game IMO. Namely, players that have the size and physicality to impose their will, and with stand the efforts of opponents to do the same. That's it.

Any deal if it happens IMO, will only happen if it is a complete no brainer (which is rarely the case) and/or only after VERY careful consideration.

If the team continues to play as it has the very simple question will be "why would we mess with this?"

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
I f***in love it! I feel exactly the same way.
Damn right. It's time to strap yourselves in and ride the lightning folks.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:46 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
I want to agree with you, but it's deja vu when I look at the GF and GA.
We have a +27 goal differential. That's fourth in the league. What's wrong with the GF and GA?

BTW, Boston +56 differential is INSANE. They remind of how the Patriots used to be, it's not enough for them to just win the game, they want to destroy their opponents.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote