HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it safe to say that Kessel and Lupul are friends?

Old
12-24-2011, 01:35 PM
TMLOBI

vCash: 500
I get the impression that all of the Leafs get along pretty well together. I forget what foreign player it was but he said something along the lines of I can't believe there are no groups based on country with this team.. not an exact quote but you get the idea. You often hear that players from country A stick together and players from country B etc.

Maybe they all aren't best of buddies but I'd have to think they get along pretty well. I heard Phaneuf will often go to restaurants with various team mates.. it seems well documented that Bozak and Kessel have a bromance and it appears that Lupul is not the third wheel but apart of it!

Team chemistry is key and it seems like this team has it!

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:58 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
I get the impression that all of the Leafs get along pretty well together. I forget what foreign player it was but he said something along the lines of I can't believe there are no groups based on country with this team.. not an exact quote but you get the idea. You often hear that players from country A stick together and players from country B etc.

Maybe they all aren't best of buddies but I'd have to think they get along pretty well. I heard Phaneuf will often go to restaurants with various team mates.. it seems well documented that Bozak and Kessel have a bromance and it appears that Lupul is not the third wheel but apart of it!

Team chemistry is key and it seems like this team has it!
i've heard grabovski say that when he was comparing toronto with montreal.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:09 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 90
possibly

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Christ

I would say that the play by Kessel to give Lupul the empty net goal against the Isles last night when he may have been able to pot it himself suggests that they at least like eachother.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:47 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I would say that the play by Kessel to give Lupul the empty net goal against the Isles last night when he may have been able to pot it himself suggests that they at least like eachother.
Hopefully the pass was made because Lupul had the better chance of scoring. Friends shmends when the game is on the line.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Hopefully the pass was made because Lupul had the better chance of scoring. Friends shmends when the game is on the line.
i concur.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:58 PM
ReimTime
Bozakian Bond

I remember Kess and Loops sitting together and seemingly having a blast at a Jays game, so it would seem they're friends for sure.

ReimTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:59 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Maybe, maybe not. Kessel and Lupul could have half the points they do now, but be really good friends. Just like they could have double the points they do now but not talk to each other outside of when they absolutely need to.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post

The old Sundin team had some cliques that caused squabbles.

In before ZOMG SUNDIN BEST LEAF EVR NO U DIDNT bla bla bla

God those were terrible years. Thank god they are over.

You can tell this group fuctions as a unit, seems when one line has an off night another picks it up. Never had that in the Sundin years.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:36 PM
BIitz
RIP LL

They're hockey friends. Just like Tazer and Kane. I have friends I love to play hockey with, doesn't mean I hit them up in my freetime

BIitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Im Old Gregggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
If you base interactions based on Twitter you would have to think Schenn is the most anti-social guy on the team. Not saying its true or false, but thats the impression I get

And to everyone who says being friends doesnt matter..... it does.

The nature of pro sports is that comradarie among teams matters. When your on the road your around your teammates most of the time. For us in school and with jobs we try to be friendly with our workers but we have friends who we spend most of our time with. In sports the only "friends" you can see regularly are your teammates.
judging by his halloween pic and the fact he was sitting besides kessel at ufc a few weeks ago im guessing.... no prob not anti social

Im Old Gregggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:39 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post

You can tell this group fuctions as a unit, seems when one line has an off night another picks it up. Never had that in the Sundin years.
The Leafs are fighting to maintain 8th place and end the longest playoff drought in club history and your glad the terrible years where we made the conference finals twice are over?

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:45 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
The Leafs are fighting to maintain 8th place and end the longest playoff drought in club history and your glad the terrible years where we made the conference finals twice are over?

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:21 PM
bshaw

vCash: 2000
personal relationship..we dont know...nor will we ever unless one gets traded because if one says they didnt liek the other off the ice ,. that will stir up some ****.
professional relationship..obviously bfffs because kessel is always jumping into lupuls waiting arms..

bshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:29 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

The Leafs as a whole are a very tight-knit group judging by articles that have been written as well as the interactions they have off-ice. Wilson is liked by the players and he has set an atmosphere where the team bonds well together, I don't really like Wilson but that is definitely one of things he has done that I think is great for the team.

The only one who seems a bit off is Connolly, judging by what was said about him in Buffalo and how he kind of kept to himself, and even now, it doesn't seem like he's much of a team bonding kinda guy. I have a family friend who works at the clinic where Leafs and Raptors players get MRIs done as a receptionist, and he's had a few interactions with Kessel as well as Connolly. He said Kessel was really nice and a pretty chill guy, and he had a good half hour conversation with him once while Kessel was waiting for his MRI. In contrast, he said Connolly was a bit arrogant and standoffish, and was somewhat rude when he talked to him. Oh well, he's playing decent for us so no big deal.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Lupul is quite older than Kessel. Also Kessel looks more like a country kid, and Lupul looks like a classy city clubber. I can see Kessel and Bozak being good friends though. Maybe Lupul and Phanuef

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 06:13 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Think you need to fix that thing yourself. There wasn't a hint of sarcasm in the post that Cyris was responding to.

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:03 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
People to often confuse hitting with being passionate about winning and being a team guy.
Kessel cares about winning, and its pretty evident that he puts the team first. People (including myself at times) like to look at his defensive gaffs and lack of hits, but I know that if the other team has an odd man rush and Kessel is on the ice, he will skate as hard as he possibly cant to prevent a goal.

Kessel isnt one of our 'A's because he is our most skilled player. He has the 'A' because he works hard, is in great physical shape, is willing to change his game to help the team, and because he steps it up when we need him
No no.. he hates winning and only came here because we offered him more money. They call him Phil Ke$$el for a reason!

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:06 PM
mapes

Quote:
He did but he also probably could have got it in himself if he was as selfish as many other fans say. He saw Lupul was more open and someone coming towards him so he passed it instead.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:25 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
I'm a pessimist when if comes to situations like that. In my mind, Kessel made the pass for the following reasons:

- Knew Lupul had the better chance
- Knew if he took the shot himself and missed, it would've been embarassing and people would call him selfish
- Knew passing would make people think he's a team first kind of player

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:54 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

I feel as if this team is very close... A lot of them go out for dinner and heard many times they go out as a group a lot. Imo its a lot dion and the culture burke has brought in (that's my opinion that I've gathered from the media and from interviews ect)

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:58 PM
goguls

They'll all get along until one player bangs another player's wife

goguls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:14 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post

Sundin years had players like

Mats Sundin
Gary Roberts
Curtis Joseph
Alexander Mogilny
Steve Thomas
Joe Nieuwendyk

Almost all HHOF potential.

And Sundin years, before the lock out, constantly competed for the playoffs as one of the cup contenders as opposed to this team can't even make the playoffs. I'd welcome back the sundin years with arms wide open, in fact I miss those years, those leaf teams had HEART. And the sens rivalry was tremendous, some of the best playoff hockey. I'm hoping you're twelve cause anyone with half a brain of hockey knowledge would know how much better those Sundin years were than any team we've had since the lockout.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:25 PM
olivertwist*
joey crabb jr

seems based on twitter kessel and bozak and phanuef etc usually hang out go to dinner and stuff, i once heard phanuef say him and gunnarson go to dinner alot, but you don;t hear about kessel and lupul

olivertwist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:40 PM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Who cares?
This is correct....you sir win the internet

LolungoReboundo is offline   Reply With Quote