HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So, At What Point Is It Ok To Start Believing We Can Compete For The Cup This Year?

Old
12-24-2011, 02:50 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Any deal if it happens IMO, will only happen if it is a complete no brainer (which is rarely the case) and/or only after VERY careful consideration.

If the team continues to play as it has the very simple question will be "why would we mess with this?"
This is what it's really going to come down to. I think team chemistry is very important to Tortorella and I think we've seen that he does have a large amount of sway when it comes to who this team brings in.

Sather will probably do what he usually does at the deadline, a tweak here and a tweak here, maybe another big D-man to fill in at the 5/6/7 slot.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:05 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

At the point when they make a trade to address the one glaring hole in their lineup (top 6 LW), and to address the one major weakness this team has (a **** PP).

Until they address those issues (and obviously, until they get healthy), I don't see them beating Boston or Pittsburgh in a playoff series.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
At the point when they make a trade to address the one glaring hole in their lineup (top 6 LW), and to address the one major weakness this team has (a **** PP).
If Dubinsky recovers his game with the right timing we won't need to make that trade.... I see bolstering the bottom pairing depth as the more pressing factor... Guys like Straalman & Woywitka have done admirable jobs but they're not going to be guys I'll be comfortable with in key playoff games, especially on the road where we can't control who they're out there against... Also don't think the Rangers will be able to afford to only play them 10 minutes a game once the playoffs roll around... The other guys are going to be worn down.... Hopefully everyone is healthy come the playoffs and we have our best 5 d-men rounding out the top 6.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:17 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

I don't see why we some are saying it's too early to think Cup.

With the way we are playing with all our injuries, im a believer right now. If we can get Staal/Sauer back by March or so, then we'll be even in better shape. Get in the playoffs and anything can happen.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Quote:

Until they address those issues (and obviously, until they get healthy), I don't see them beating Boston or Pittsburgh in a playoff series.
I believe Wolski can solve the top 6 problem. However the PP has been a problem for this team for a LONG time. They have the skill they just cannot recognize the different types of PK's and the need to adjust depending on how a team is Pking.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
It must be a Christmas miracle because I actually agree with you. If I remember correctly we didn't do well against the Piles in 1993-1994 regular season but we swept them in the playoffs.

Playoff series are different from regular season play. Especially against a team like Boston who truly has it all. Scoring, defense and goaltending. I believe this team has what it takes when they are healthy. However if our defense stays as porous as it is right now I believe we could most likely make it past the first round but that would be all. If we go up against the Bruins in the playoffs we need to be completely healthy or we will get demolished.
Lol! I hear you and sometimes it takes a subject like this to pull us all together. Anyway, I'm not in love with discussions like these so early in the season because there are so many variables that can change our fortunes in a heartbeat. What if Gabby(who I've been critical of in the past) who is having a great season and is a legit Hart candidate gets hurt? Then what?? We DON'T have anyone on our roster or in hartford remotely able to replace his production. On the other side of the coin, we are winning these games without getting anything at all from Richards lately nor anything all season from Boyle and Dubi(who has been terrific lately and is due to break out). This is really a tough call and I'm really superstitious discussing or even thinking about it because of all the past failures but I really have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the character and collective unity of this particular team. It's just a feeling, mind you. Here's hoping Staal, Sauer and Eminger get healthy really soon. "Heave Ho, Pull Together."

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

If you're a real long time Ranger fan you never don't have the feeling that the good times are about to end.

I can definitely see this being the high point of the season.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I'm still holding off on it, let's have this conversation again in April. Too much can happen from now until then. Trades, injuries, slumps, etc. I think they need another dman and a top 6 winger.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Thanks. Believe me, I know the hurt and let down all too well. I've been a Rangers fan for 27 years. I also didn't mean to sound overconfident. I just think between last night and Jan 2nd, that those games will be as tough, grueling, filled with pressure and passion, as any playoff game ever will. If we end up winning them both, the latter while in Philly, and our rookies and youth continue to stand tall, then in with rational confidence, not over confidence, wouldn't it be ok to start believing we could win any given playoff game? Wouldn't that have been proven in at least some sort of way?

Again as I said earlier, I made no mention of a division lead nor 1st place. I know that means jack ****.
Boy, this is really something, isn't it? It took a thread like this to pull us Rangers fans especially the long suffering ones together and thinking collectively as one. I agree with you in the sense that winning breeds confidence which is especially important to the younger players and rookies forced into the lineup due to injuries. If we continue to play well, be competitive, win and Slats finds a gem at the trade deadline, then and only then I might get enthusiastic about our chances of competing for a cup(dare I say??).

Old
12-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:

Right on! I couldn't have stated it any better.

Old
12-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
They need a healthy defense and I still think they need another top 6 forward.
Was coming in to post exactly this.

I love what the team is doing, and it's all headed in the right direction, but I think a few things are missing. Take Boston out of the equation, and I put the Rags at the top of the food chain in the East. Not necessarily the best, but there's no team they can't handle. We'll see how they deal with Boston, but as others have mentioned... it'd be nice to see how they handle Boston with a less depleted D corps. Still missing a piece or two (not necessarily big ones, just the right ones) to really go for that run. It's coming.

Edit: Imagine if Dubi was playing like Cally. Add a top 6 LW to that mix, and it all gets very interesting...

Dubinsky - Stepan - Gaborik
X - Richards - Callahan

Or inverse Dubinsky with X. I love the bottom 6, and the D... especially when all the pieces are back. I just think the top 6 is missing something, and I'd love to see Dubinsky back into last year's form, or even better... the evolution of last year's form, what we were hoping for.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:25 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

With a healthy defense they can beat Pittsburgh. Assuming Crosby is out.

A healthy defense this team can go deep.

A cup though, they're going to have to add a top 6 forward.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:39 PM
cenas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
Edit: Imagine if Dubi was playing like Cally. Add a top 6 LW to that mix, and it all gets very interesting...

Dubinsky - Stepan - Gaborik
X - Richards - Callahan
No way Anisimov is off the 1st line.. he is a big part of that line. He is pretty much the best 2 way forward we have..

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayhat View Post
No way Anisimov is off the 1st line.. he is a big part of that line. He is pretty much the best 2 way forward we have..
If he was currently playing like we all thought he would coming into this season, he would have probably been on the first line.

12-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Ironic thing is that everything I posted was objective fact; whereas all you posted was based on silly emotion with absolutely nothing to back it up.
Odd,

You start a thread asking a question, you get a response which is anothers members thought on the topic, and you quickly dismiss it as "Silly Emotion" with no evidence to back it up. Love it!!

There are 20 other teams in the NHL (IMO) that have a shot at the Cup his year, as a fan of the Rangers isn't that the point EVERY SEASON? For it to actually happen two things have to occur.

1. Make the playoff's (would help to have home ice, not a requirement though).
2. Get hot in the playoff's (What's happening RIGHT NOW is a moot point after game 82).

There are some good teams struggling and some average teams taking advantage of that around the league right now. Let's see where it all stands after the regular season. There's nothing wrong with having belief or disbelief at this point, but let's see where we're at come the post season in regards to health and chemistry. If you don't have hope, well there's no point to watching regardless of which team you follow.

Merry Christmas to all !!!

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayhat View Post

Am I the only one that thinks that's nuts?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 06:23 PM
bettercallstaal
SAMCRO

In reality I think we're about 2 years away. You never know though. It may be possible for us to make the conference finals with what we have. We have to get through Boston first though.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 06:26 PM
XLJ

I think we can compete for a cup. But we need Staal and Sauer back healthy to do so.

We need to add another winger at the deadline. Even though he plays hard Mitchell should not be a top 9 forward. He should be centering the 4th line with Feds and Prust.

We need someone that can add some scoring, and can play on the 2nd unit powerplay. I'm thinking Dubi gets moved back to Richards line soon, and we need someone better to play with Boyle and Hagelin. I'm not sure if that player is going to be Wolski.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 06:31 PM
cenas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that's nuts?
Now that I think about it.. its Callahan. Its safe to say though that AA is handling a lot of the defensive aspects of the game for the GAS line.. both Gaborik and Stepan have very high offensive zone start percentages. They're getting coddled minutes and are there to score..

In a somewhat related note anybody criticizing Brian Boyle for not scoring much this year is nuts.. he barely ever gets to start a shift in the offensive zone. He's our Manny Malhotra this season..

(and Malhotra allowed Ryan Kesler to win the Selke last year by taking nearly all of his defensive responsibilities.. with easy minutes Kesler was able to score the required 40 goals to get the award )

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

I believe we can compete at the start of every season.

This year, I think the odds are a bit better.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Oh no not this crap...dude wait till march. Anybody can compete for the division at christmas, I mean it was said the 08-09 team were in 1st at this break. Cmon Man.
Oh no! It's a jinx! Just like the Gaborik 50 Goal thread!

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:28 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I want to see how we handle Boston.
Exactlt this. We have been very good against Boston in recent years as well, but this year they are quite a force. It will be a fantastic test.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

This has been a very good year so far.

Things I want to see before I believe:
- Consistency over the next 20 or so games.
- Healthy lineup
- Beating Boston

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:05 PM
ogie

I started believing July 1st...

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Agentsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
I believe Wolski can solve the top 6 problem. However the PP has been a problem for this team for a LONG time. They have the skill they just cannot recognize the different types of PK's and the need to adjust depending on how a team is Pking.
kreider could be the answer. perhaps as soon as the playoffs if he pulls a couture.

id give hagelin more of a chance there in the time being.

Agentsmith is offline   Reply With Quote