HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roy and Stafford package

Old
12-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Lloydchristmas138

vCash: 500
Roy and Stafford package

Simple as that, trade them for a legitimate player that can help this team, preferably a center.

I am of the opinion that when we get certain players healthy that we can be a great team but we just need to identify who is worth keeping and giving big minutes too, also it is crucial to get chemistry back on this team.

A few points:

*the case of derek roy and drew stafford- they are talented hockey players with no competitive edge, and they need large roles and lots of ice time to produce anything. NO THANK YOU GTFO.

Tyler Ennis - We need this guys healthy because he has skill oozing out of him if he gets confidence sky high and gets the loads of ice time he can be a breakout star in this league IMO.

Ville Leino. Okay he's a complementary player, but when he is put with the right two players to complement he can be a beast..(Briere and Hartnell) I might be one of the only fans that really prefer Leino over Roy or Stafford, but, he can help this team with his style.

Gerbe and Tropp- Love these guys. Skill and determination, they are great additions to any 2nd or 3rd line IMO.

Kassian and Adam- Say hello to the new Roy and Stafford, we know what we have in these two young players and I love what they bring to the table compared to Roy and Staff, especially considering age.

So without Roy and Staff(and Boyes) we have:

Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Ennis-Leino-Kassian
Gerbe-Hecht-Tropp
Ellis-Gaustad-Kaleta
Boyes,McCormick, Foligno in the future, (Armia long term)

You might not like that as much as me, but also consider the return that we could get would be substantial to add into the lineup.

It's not a rebuild, just trimming the fat and trust in our youth.

Lloydchristmas138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:10 AM
HiddenInLight

Lol. Leino is NOT a second line Center. He is a good wing, and capable of playing wing in the top six, but not center. Hecht is also a Left wing, though he can fill in for center. He's a hell of a lot better then Leino why would you put him on the third line? If everyone is healthy Ellis doesn't start. Period. McCormick over Kaletta.

If you trade Roy and Stafford who do you get back? What do you get back? Who do you eveb trade with? How do we get centers withour roy? Grass is always greener right? You say that until Leino is playing center on the second line. Then you want out from under him too. Its really unfortunate for your point that none of your lines make sense. This is a case of suggesting somthing without suggesting anything. Our team is better right now then they are in your 'preferred lineup'

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydchristmas138 View Post
Simple as that, trade them for a legitimate player that can help this team, preferably a center.

I am of the opinion that when we get certain players healthy that we can be a great team but we just need to identify who is worth keeping and giving big minutes too, also it is crucial to get chemistry back on this team.

A few points:

*the case of derek roy and drew stafford- they are talented hockey players with no competitive edge, and they need large roles and lots of ice time to produce anything. NO THANK YOU GTFO.

Tyler Ennis - We need this guys healthy because he has skill oozing out of him if he gets confidence sky high and gets the loads of ice time he can be a breakout star in this league IMO.

Ville Leino. Okay he's a complementary player, but when he is put with the right two players to complement he can be a beast..(Briere and Hartnell) I might be one of the only fans that really prefer Leino over Roy or Stafford, but, he can help this team with his style.

Gerbe and Tropp- Love these guys. Skill and determination, they are great additions to any 2nd or 3rd line IMO.

Kassian and Adam- Say hello to the new Roy and Stafford, we know what we have in these two young players and I love what they bring to the table compared to Roy and Staff, especially considering age.

So without Roy and Staff(and Boyes) we have:

Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Ennis-Leino-Kassian
Gerbe-Hecht-Tropp
Ellis-Gaustad-Kaleta
Boyes,McCormick, Foligno in the future, (Armia long term)

You might not like that as much as me, but also consider the return that we could get would be substantial to add into the lineup.

It's not a rebuild, just trimming the fat and trust in our youth.
One natural center on the team and he is a 4th liner. Good work. One step closer to Darcy's dream of fielding an entire forward corps of wingers, I guess.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

I can appreciate your thoughts but I'm not willing to get rid of Roy just yet. I think he has been used in the wrong situations for the last few years, and played as a true #1 center, which as we all know he isn't. We need to utilize him as an offensive center only, and we are playing him in all situations, late in games where we have the lead, back checking hard, etc. We need a solid checking center, who can put up 50 points.

I find it interesting that you mention only Roy and Stafford but not Gausted. To me, he is one of the guys I'd have on the way out. As part of the leadership core in Buffalo, he should've been made an example of the week after the Lucic incident.

The perfect flip. Gausted for Stoll.

During the Bills Super Bowl runs, we were always up against a few dynasty type teams, Dallas, NYG and San Fran especially. I was always in the minority in regards to Marv Levy. I always thought he was just a decent coach, not a get the most out of your club guy. (Polian was the guy who designed the Bills, not Levy.) IMO, Levy was along for the ride because on paper, the Bills were the best team. Here is my point, if Jimmy Johnson was the Bills coach, we would have won Super Bowls, yes, plural. The example I will point out is that if you screwed up during a game, and of course I'm not talking about their big 3 but a db that did something stupid, he cut them the next week. CUT THEM. He did it several times during their 3 out of 4 Super Bowl winning years. CUT THEM. Levy was always more relaxed, and buddies with the players but Johnson....he was the BOSS. You don't perform, you're out of here.

That concept needs to be put in place on the Sabres. Too much complacity amongst this group. Except the loosing? GTFO. That's why I'm all for 2-3 of the core need to go. I see fire in Vanek, always have. Gausted....gone. Stafford....gone. Roy, not until I see how he plays as a bonafide #2 center with a leader/shutdown guy...period.

Why flipping Gausted for Stoll works for me and a deal around Dubi/Stafford works also. 2 centers who can play and surround Roy.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Lloydchristmas138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
One natural center on the team and he is a 4th liner. Good work. One step closer to Darcy's dream of fielding an entire forward corps of wingers, I guess.
part of the point was to get a center for them like stastny, spezza etc. Adam and hecht can play either position and leino could in a bind. Center depth of say spezza, adam, hecht, gaustad isn't perfect but considering wing is our strength it can work imo.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-23-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Lloydchristmas138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:23 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I thought that Adam was a natural center. Or is he a winger that gets moved to C?

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:29 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
I thought that Adam was a natural center. Or is he a winger that gets moved to C?
Adam has been playing much better on the wing then center. If he is going to be a center he needs more time to adjust to the way the league plays the game in order to make the full time switch.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:46 PM
anonFOX
Rookie User

I'm a fan of Roy, I think he's a fantastic player! I agree with a poster a little further up when they said that he's being used in all of the wrong situations. For sure! He's always soft on the back-check and for this reason he isn't going to be our #1 centre.

I like Stafford too he is a beast when his confidence is going...

I'm not sure what this team needs, that's probably why I'm not the GM. But I'm starting to wonder if Lindy's style is working anymore?- maybe the team isn't responsive to it anymore?- who knows.

anonFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:50 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Okay genius part of the point was to get a center for them like stastny, spezza etc. Adam and hecht can play either position and leino could in a bind. Center depth of say spezza, adam, hecht, gaustad isn't perfect but considering wing is our strength it can work imo. But whatever you are wise as they come I guess, I stand by my opinion.
Mr (or Mrs) Christmas....

Yes, we are all in this together but....

Spezza has had issues with mgmt requesting trade, or whatever the story is. Now he's happy and wants to stay. Whatever. Smoke...fire.

Adam is a rookie.

Hecht is getting over the hill, and a UFA.

Gausted is a bum in my opinion, and a UFA.

I just don't see that group of centers being what we need, or leading us deep into the playoffs. Not at all.

If you could flip Stafford for Dubinski, and Gausted for Stoll and KEEP ROY....all in the realm of possibilities.....then look at the center depth.

Dubinsky, Roy, Stoll, Hecht, Adam....Boyes, Leino in a pinch. Much better and changes out 2 of the core we all want to change.

Old
12-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Can't get rid of Roy without getting another center back. Package Roy and Stafford for... something involving a center. I would imagine that package, along with a 1st, could get something pretty nice.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Roy and Stafford have had pretty mediocre seasons so far, but of course we all know how streaky Stafford is. He could reel off 10 in 10 and all of a sudden he's a steal of a deal and on the do not trade list. Roy has actually been really good defensively, and he's produced pretty good since his slow start. Have they performed up to expectations to this point? No. But, they are bit parts of this team, so you better get a great player or two in return.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Okay genius part of the point was to get a center for them like stastny, spezza etc. Adam and hecht can play either position and leino could in a bind. Center depth of say spezza, adam, hecht, gaustad isn't perfect but considering wing is our strength it can work imo. But whatever you are wise as they come I guess, I stand by my opinion.
I was merely pointing out there was one natural center in your lineup, and poked fun at Regier's propensity to bring in wingers in the hope that they can play center. It's nice to have guys like Hecht, Boyes, Leino, and (to a lesser extent) Adam who can play center in a pinch, but you're not going to win much if you're relying on three of them to be full-time centers, especially when your other center is Goose.

Re: Spezza. I don't see Ottawa trading Spezza. He probably could've asked out quietly this summer, and Murray may have acquiesced. But he didn't. Instead, he stated his willingness to be a part of the rebuild. That rebuild seems to be far ahead of schedule, and they just brought in Turris to complement Spezza. Even if Ottawa did make him available, why would they trade him to a division rival they're going to see six times per season and would probably have to beat in the playoffs under the new format? They'd trade him to one of the other 23 non-division teams they'll only see twice per season, and wouldn't have to deal with in the playoffs until the Final Four, if at all. Ottawa would require a serious overpayment to trade Spezza to Buffalo, Regier isn't in the business of overpaying, and I don't think most posters would be fine with what Ottawa would ask for in return.

Re: Stastny. Roy and Stafford for Stastny would be an egregious overpayment. I don't think that's in any way a net gain for our lineup. Besides, I think Colorado would want at least one of Ennis, Kassian, or Adam to bolster their young core of Duchene, O'Reilly, et al. Just my opinion, though.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-23-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 06:47 PM
joshjull

Stay on topic and away from the personal stuff.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:41 PM
dire wolf
be cool

The problem with this thread is that we don't know who we are trading Roy and Stafford for. I'm assuming most everyone would be on board if it were Roy and Stafford for someone like Toews or Kopitar. On the other hand, Roy and Stafford for somebody like Legwand or Horcoff doesn't sound too good. It's ridiculous for people in this thread to be arguing with each other about whether Roy and Stafford are worth more than X when we don't know what X is. So there.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:42 PM
McTank

If we could do stafford, Gragnani, and a 2nd for stastny or something like that I think it would make a big difference to the team. I doubt Darcy makes any moves until he sees what this team can do healthy though

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:04 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEYAREGOODSCARYGOOD View Post
If we could do stafford, Gragnani, and a 2nd for stastny or something like that I think it would make a big difference to the team. I doubt Darcy makes any moves until he sees what this team can do healthy though
Please, sorry, Staff, mag,and pick for a hof'rs son!!?!( whos a ppg player?!?!?!?

Really?

Old
12-23-2011, 11:38 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Please, sorry, Staff, mag,and pick for a hof'rs son!!?!( whos a ppg player?!?!?!?

Really?
A ppg player??? Since when, and his dad being a hall of famer is irrelevant. Stastny is overpaid and has been pretty mediocre this season. Sure itd Probly take more than that but I wouldn't be willing to give up a lot more.

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Maximrules

the reality is that there's a bunch of players on the team who play for themselves, not each other, and only care how they're individually doing. thus, this core won't win a stanley cup. it's really simple.

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:38 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximrules View Post
the reality is that there's a bunch of players on the team who play for themselves, not each other, and only care how they're individually doing. thus, this core won't win a stanley cup. it's really simple.
and you know this because......

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Maximrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
and you know this because......
uh, do you watch them play? they don't play like a team at all. boston is a team.

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:57 PM
PanicItsVanek26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximrules View Post
uh, do you watch them play? they don't play like a team at all. boston is a team.
How is Boston more of a team? Because they win? That couldn't be because they have better defense, goal-tending, center depth, goons and 1000 other things.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote