HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So, At What Point Is It Ok To Start Believing We Can Compete For The Cup This Year?

Old
12-24-2011, 07:33 PM
beastly115

vCash: 500
A fully healthy defense and one more elite talent - almost doesn't matter what position. We could use the depth and another weapon for our PP Could be a Ryan, Iginla, Suter or even Parise.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:36 PM
cenas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
A fully healthy defense and one more elite talent - almost doesn't matter what position. We could use the depth and another weapon for our PP Could be a Ryan, Iginla, Suter or even Parise.
Lets trade for Olli!

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Agentsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayhat View Post
Lets trade for Olli!
i wonder what thought goes into these comments. a trade for any of the guys u just mentioned would cost 2 or 3 CURRENT assets.

Agentsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
I don't see why we some are saying it's too early to think Cup.

With the way we are playing with all our injuries, im a believer right now. If we can get Staal/Sauer back by March or so, then we'll be even in better shape. Get in the playoffs and anything can happen.
It's December 23rd, that's why! A lot can happen between now and the deadline let alone the end of the regular season. An injury to Gabby, our one and only legit (great) goal scorer and the whole situation changes.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:51 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

How is Boston a "juggernaut" and a measly one point ahead of us.

We have less regulation losses.

We weren't "real" unless we beat "the best" who at the time was Philly, Pittsburgh, and Washington. Did it.

The only thing about Boston that worries me is the league allows Lucic to be the dirty piece of dog feces he is, and our guys blocking a Chara shot. Thats it.

Not going to give that team more respect then they deserve. They're an opponent and you never play lax no matter who it is, but be "scared" of the Bruins? Nah.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:52 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Odd,

You start a thread asking a question, you get a response which is anothers members thought on the topic, and you quickly dismiss it as "Silly Emotion" with no evidence to back it up. Love it!!

There are 20 other teams in the NHL (IMO) that have a shot at the Cup his year, as a fan of the Rangers isn't that the point EVERY SEASON? For it to actually happen two things have to occur.

1. Make the playoff's (would help to have home ice, not a requirement though).
2. Get hot in the playoff's (What's happening RIGHT NOW is a moot point after game 82).

There are some good teams struggling and some average teams taking advantage of that around the league right now. Let's see where it all stands after the regular season. There's nothing wrong with having belief or disbelief at this point, but let's see where we're at come the post season in regards to health and chemistry. If you don't have hope, well there's no point to watching regardless of which team you follow.

Merry Christmas to all !!!
I was responding directly to an insult, and called it out for what it was. Nothing odd about that whatsoever. If you go for a personal insult and directly call out the thread as nonsense, then the least you should do is offer something even remotely thoughtful that states why you hold that position.

In the end though, he explained and I respected.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:17 PM
NickyMaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
How is Boston a "juggernaut" and a measly one point ahead of us.

We have less regulation losses.

We weren't "real" unless we beat "the best" who at the time was Philly, Pittsburgh, and Washington. Did it.

The only thing about Boston that worries me is the league allows Lucic to be the dirty piece of dog feces he is, and our guys blocking a Chara shot. Thats it.

Not going to give that team more respect then they deserve. They're an opponent and you never play lax no matter who it is, but be "scared" of the Bruins? Nah.
Yeah, Boston is a super tough and physical team. But I think our guys can grind and hit them right back. I really want to see that goon Lucic carried off the ice! Thomas is one hell of a goaltender but Henrik is too. I think Boston is going to be a real test and if we can win, which I think is very possible, then we will know whether the Rangers are elite or not.

NickyMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Leetch66

Avery HAS to be in the game if we want to beat the Bruins...we will need every ounce of grit that we can bring for a game against the B's .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenry30 View Post
Yeah, Boston is a super tough and physical team. But I think our guys can grind and hit them right back. I really want to see that goon Lucic carried off the ice! Thomas is one hell of a goaltender but Henrik is too. I think Boston is going to be a real test and if we can win, which I think is very possible, then we will know whether the Rangers are elite or not.
Boston is one team that can wear you down physically. But to the Rangers credit we played them well last year, especially that last game. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:38 PM
IAMREALITY

I welcome the physical games and teams. I think we thrive against them. It's the teams with speed that concern me.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:39 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
It's December 23rd, that's why! A lot can happen between now and the deadline let alone the end of the regular season. An injury to Gabby, our one and only legit (great) goal scorer and the whole situation changes.
You can say this about any team.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

The Bruins are physical sure, but I don't think that's anything that scares the Rangers. There's no issue there. It's something that can and does wear down teams like the Sabres or Habs.

I'm more concerned about the fact that they score a bajillion goals while letting in even less than us. Simply put: They've got more guns than us, and atm their shield is a little bigger. Total test. And even then, one game won't mean much... a best of 7 vs. Boston the way they're playing now? Ick.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
You can say this about any team.
That's true but in our situation we are talking about a guy who has been injury prone in the past, is having a potential career year and who CANNOT be replaced in our lineup by some callup from the AHL like all of our defensemen that have gone down and been replaced seamlessly.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 02:52 PM
mcsauer2738

Back in July, the day we officially signed Brad Richards I said we were built to win the cup. We have a tremendous mix of both veterans and youth, the best goal tender in the world, and a coach that will not tolerate any sort of set back regardless of who is in the line up. Add to it the fact that around the trade deadline we won't be making any deals but we'll be getting our own back healthy and well rested were going to be deadly. Hopefully by the deadline Staal, Eminger, and Sauer are back. And with the way Marty Birons been playing Henrik will certainly be more than well rested for the playoffs and that is huge. I say we compete for the cup this year, IMO we should at least make the conference finals.

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Evolved83

OK so who is available that might be on the chopping block, can fit in the top 6, can help us score more goals and help out on the PP? I doubt wolski will fit this need when he comes back...

Evolved83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 03:26 PM
sousuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr50l View Post
I don't understand your position. In fact I was just thinking last night (as he made a great breakway stop on the penalty kill) that Hank hasn't had nearly as many one-man show type games this year as past years. The team is regularly playing defence and scoring enough goals and only occassionally has Henrik been called upon to do the unbelievable for entire games.
This is why Hank is putting up numbers that are better than other years. The D is cutting out some of the ridiculously amazing scoring chances and so he doesn't have to stop as many of them. These are the ones that usually lead to goals anyhow. For every Hank defender who stated that "put him on the Red Wings or Chicago and they win the cup and he wins Vezinas every year", this is the goalie we're seeing now. We aren't quite the Red Wings, but hopefully you understand the point.

sousuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:40 PM
blue425

Consistency for the remainder of the season.

Grabbing at minimum the #4 seed.

Sauer and Staal healthy by April.

Those things happen and anything can happen.

I'm starting to believe though..

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Orr Nightmare

Bruins will beat the Rangers into a bloody pupil. They are big, mean, skilled, nasty and dirty. The perfect blend for the playoffs. Get a ryan Clowe or a david Backes or a chris Stewart and it will help..but none of those guys are going to be available.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:14 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Bruins will beat the Rangers into a bloody pupil. They are big, mean, skilled, nasty and dirty. The perfect blend for the playoffs. Get a ryan Clowe or a david Backes or a chris Stewart and it will help..but none of those guys are going to be available.
Yet they didn't last year.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yet they didn't last year.
Reminded me what round of the playoffs they met again...

Every guy on that team has meat on their bones and even the little guys are nasty.

We can all pretend that the Rangers can hang with them but let's be realistic..

The Canucks had more skill last year but by the 7th game they were already done.

Old
12-25-2011, 07:00 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Reminded me what round of the playoffs they met again...

Every guy on that team has meat on their bones and even the little guys are nasty.

We can all pretend that the Rangers can hang with them but let's be realistic..

The Canucks had more skill last year but by the 7th game they were already done.
I'm just saying, you said something that was simply untrue.

The Rangers swept the Bruins in the season series, IIRC.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 07:49 PM
alves

I think it's too early to say we're ready. We've yet to play the Boston Juggernaut and we haven't played a healthy Philly. I think we need have to do those two things to see how we match up. While our offense is very good, I still think we need to shoot more. 27 SPG isn't great. While it's OK now since we're converting, I think the team needs to shoot more.

With Staal back, and Philly fully healthy (minus Pronger since he's out for the season + playoffs), how do you guys think we'd match up with Philadelphia, or Boston in a best-of-7?

Last edited by alves: 12-25-2011 at 07:54 PM.
alves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'm just saying, you said something that was simply untrue.

The Rangers swept the Bruins in the season series, IIRC.
The Bruins took it to another level in the playoffs last year and with the except of the first 6-8 games to start the season...they have been dominate. We are a very good team but they are on a different level

Old
12-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
for me, it is when we get everyone back and we are playing the same way we have CONSISTENTLY

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 07:57 PM
zestystrat

Relax, enjoy the way the team is playing...SCPO's are a long way away.

We haven't had a fun season like this in a while...I choose to enjoy this part of it with the hope that when fully healthy this team will be even more dangerous.

But for now, sip some nog and watch Torts drop F-bombs on HBO.

It's good to be us.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote