HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs Preds - Verizon Center - 7pm - 12/20/11

Old
12-22-2011, 01:40 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Yeah I agree not much else to do there for Halah. I think he waved his arms after seeing the pylon doing the same. I seem to remember the overhead goal cam showing him looking down, the puck whizzes between his legs, and then he exaggeratedly fell over backwards like he got run over by a moose.

I believe that goal was not reviewable but they took a look anyways, presumably to make Bruce feel better. That play right there was why we got Knuble. I contend that with the curved back of his skate blade, his blade may not have made contact with the goal crease before the puck went by. Not technically in the crease, the back of his skate just barely over the plane.

I am still hot under the collar about that, obviously.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Mothra

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Dude, the Caps averaged 45 shots over the last 3 games. No one on the Habs outside of Halak gave the Caps any trouble.
thats a pretty simple way to look at it.....the only player to have more blocked shots than Gill for the entire playoffs was Pronger, who had 71 to Gill's 68....thats nearly 4 blocked shots per game. Much of the talk after the series was of the blocked shots, where Gill lead the way. There is a reason they took so many outside/long shots....

if you dont think Habs blocking shots was a factor, we just disagree

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Koized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
thats a pretty simple way to look at it.....the only player to have more blocked shots than Gill for the entire playoffs was Pronger, who had 71 to Gill's 68....thats nearly 4 blocked shots per game. Much of the talk after the series was of the blocked shots, where Gill lead the way. There is a reason they took so many outside/long shots....

A huge reason for this was the insane amount of obstruction the refs were letting Gill get away with. If a Cap was within a foot of the guy they were being held, hooked or slashed. The best part was the next series Montreal played which was against the Penguins, and hearing the Penguins fans whine about how much obstruction he got away with when it was one of the main reasons for their success the season they won the Cup (along with Scuderi) just the year before.

It is very frustrating for me to watch a player such as Gill get away with constant obstruction when Semin gets called on it instantly. It probably has a lot to do with the players relationships with the refs and what not, because it just doesn't make sense.

IMO it would be in Schultz's best interest to add this element to his game. During the regular season he would be called on it more often but come the playoffs he would get away with it just as Gill and Scuderi did. To compensate for his lack of foot speed it would be very beneficial. The two players mentioned have learnt to make it not look very obvious, but have built careers on it.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koized View Post
A huge reason for this was the insane amount of obstruction the refs were letting Gill get away with. If a Cap was within a foot of the guy they were being held, hooked or slashed. The best part was the next series Montreal played which was against the Penguins, and hearing the Penguins fans whine about how much obstruction he got away with when it was one of the main reasons for their success the season they won the Cup (along with Scuderi) just the year before.

It is very frustrating for me to watch a player such as Gill get away with constant obstruction when Semin gets called on it instantly. It probably has a lot to do with the players relationships with the refs and what not, because it just doesn't make sense.

IMO it would be in Schultz's best interest to add this element to his game. During the regular season he would be called on it more often but come the playoffs he would get away with it just as Gill and Scuderi did. To compensate for his lack of foot speed it would be very beneficial. The two players mentioned have learnt to make it not look very obvious, but have built careers on it.
and it the part in bold that brought all this up.....I have never seen anything from 55 to think that will some how be part of his game.....Gill, for most of his career was a pretty tough player....one of those classic "hard to play against" guys.

I dont hate 55, I just see him as a vanilla type player, always have. There is nothing special in his game at all and I dont see where he is likely to develop the kind of intangible you like to see from a guy getting a sweater every night. Erskine isnt anything special but he brings some physical play....an intangible. I would be thrilled if 55 could add something.....but what has anyone seen from him that makes that even close to likely?

Old
12-22-2011, 06:43 PM
txpd

listen, the reason gill had so many blocks shots was the totally ridiculous zone time the capitals had and the silly number of shots they had at the net. i just dont buy that martin planned for the caps to have 100 pucks launched at his net every game.

yea...many shots were from the outside, but isnt basic playoff scoring about getting traffic and shots from the points? the caps had that going in spades. besides we've had this conversation about the shot charts for those games and the caps having 20+ shots on goal between the dots and from the hash marks to the crease.

like i said. with the number of shots at the net and the number hitting montreal players on the way the fact that not a single one deflected in the net is beyond me.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 07:01 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

Not simple at all. Despite all the Habs' shot-blocking prowess, the Caps were getting over 40 freaking shots per game on net, including upwards of 20 per game from below and between the circles.

In other words, the Habs' defense was not very good, at all. Gill sucks, and hasn't ever been particularly effective against the Caps.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:56 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Not simple at all. Despite all the Habs' shot-blocking prowess, the Caps were getting over 40 freaking shots per game on net, including upwards of 20 per game from below and between the circles.

In other words, the Habs' defense was not very good, at all. Gill sucks, and hasn't ever been particularly effective against the Caps.
interesting....seeing how you just said this...

Quote:
I actually think current Hal Gill is a pretty darn good projection of Schultz's upside
so the upside for 55 is a player that sucks? maybe we dont disagree then

Old
12-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
listen, the reason gill had so many blocks shots was the totally ridiculous zone time the capitals had and the silly number of shots they had at the net. i just dont buy that martin planned for the caps to have 100 pucks launched at his net every game.

yea...many shots were from the outside, but isnt basic playoff scoring about getting traffic and shots from the points? the caps had that going in spades. besides we've had this conversation about the shot charts for those games and the caps having 20+ shots on goal between the dots and from the hash marks to the crease.

like i said. with the number of shots at the net and the number hitting montreal players on the way the fact that not a single one deflected in the net is beyond me.
maybe they just didnt have the traffic in front like you seem to remember....where was all that traffic on the PP?

anyone thinking that shot blocking wasnt a factor in the series is kidding themselves....the way you make it sound they were pounding shots from the slot, with the entire team setting screens, and just got unlucky

great season for hightlights though

Old
12-23-2011, 12:24 AM
txpd

really? it sounds like that? i dont know how many wrist shots from the point ive seen go in the season for and against the caps because they hit something on the way in or the goalie was screened.

if a team is going to give up 40 shots and block another 40 shots there are a lot of shots headed toward the net with obsticals in the way. you know...throw the puck at the net and good things happen. i know you are not dense enough to miss my point. montreal was blocking shots with a layered strategy. pucks were bouncing off of their players all the way from the point to the net. not a single one was deflected and went in? not one? any shot at the net is dangerous. the more sticks and bodies in the way on the way the more dangerous they are.

its the risk you take. that and broken bones.

Old
12-23-2011, 06:24 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

We didnt have the screens in that series if Halak had 40 pucks hit him every game, and we lost the series. He was seeing his shots, not getting lucky, bodies were kept out of his way.

Laich was quick to ditch his face shield and said he would, yet came across as gun shy to me. Laich was our guy in front on the PP all year. I was hoping to see him in the playoffs with the shield, since in front of an Ovi headhunter is where he gets paid. Think about our 100 attempted shots every game, did he get hit by a puck once?

Old man Knuble did his thing in game 7, but he was overruled. So we obviously did not have a successful net presence, and had closer to no presence at all. Does anyone even remember a screen shot goal the entire series?

We were held to the small perimeter, enough to get lots of quality shots, but still Halak saw them. The Habs did exactly what they had to do to beat us. Concede getting outshot but make sure the goalie can see them. Did we fake a shot the entire series? Nope, we went with the one eventually has to go in theory. No, it doesn't, because there is only 60 minutes.

Enter reinforcements, one Troy Brouwer,

Last edited by RandyHolt: 12-23-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old
12-23-2011, 08:26 AM
txpd

i dont mean to be argumentative, but 40 blocked shots says he could not have been seeing his shots. at least not many of them.

when did brooks laich where a face shield? i just looked at all the youtube i could find on brooksie and see no visor action

Old
12-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
We didnt have the screens in that series if Halak had 40 pucks hit him every game, and we lost the series.
So the only way a goaltender makes 40 saves is if they are all unscreened and from the outside?

Really? How long have you been watching this game...?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
really? it sounds like that? i dont know how many wrist shots from the point ive seen go in the season for and against the caps because they hit something on the way in or the goalie was screened.

if a team is going to give up 40 shots and block another 40 shots there are a lot of shots headed toward the net with obsticals in the way. you know...throw the puck at the net and good things happen. i know you are not dense enough to miss my point. montreal was blocking shots with a layered strategy. pucks were bouncing off of their players all the way from the point to the net. not a single one was deflected and went in? not one? any shot at the net is dangerous. the more sticks and bodies in the way on the way the more dangerous they are.

its the risk you take. that and broken bones.
sounds straight out of the BB playbook that series...."keep at 'em boys...we are bound to get one"

so, the Caps were just unlucky? were they counting on being lucky to beat the 8 seed?

Old
12-23-2011, 10:04 AM
txpd

Quote:
so, the Caps were just unlucky? were they counting on being lucky to beat the 8 seed?
did i ever use the word luck or lucky? here's what i think. the capitals overreacted to losing that series and destroyed their team. they damaged themselves more than they proved to be fatally flawed.

dont overplay the 8 seed thing. often bad teams in the playoffs are other than an 8 seed and the 8 seed is often a competitive team. the thrashers that made playoffs were a tomato can. the senators of a couple years ago were in free fall and ripe for a 4 game sweep. you are not honestly suggesting that the canadiens were that class of hockey team, because you drop that 8 seed action like they were.

had the habs been run out of the playoffs in round with ease, i'd be with you. they proved otherwise.

as for counting on being lucky....when you go and stand in front of the goaltender, a defenseman generally comes with you. they both stand in front of the goalie. when a point shot hits that defenseman and goes in, is that lucky? its SOP.

when you are blocking shots and one gets half blocked and deflects in the net is that bad luck? its the price you pay for blocking shots. its a calculated risk. its going to happen.

my pov of that series was that varlamov allowed stoppable goals in each loss that gave montreal early leads. montreal relied on that lead.

we will have to agree to disagree on this.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Duke33

Quote:
sounds straight out of the BB playbook that series...."keep at 'em boys...we are bound to get one"

The defending champion Penguins lost to that same 8-seed. Obviously Montreal was doing something right. With a couple exceptions, Halak was amazing in both series.

It was funny watching this board after the loss to Mont. People were confidently predicting the mighty, powerful Penguins led by supercoach Bylsma would dismantle the Canadiens in a sweep or five games max, showing the Caps the errors of their ways. Didn't happen.

Honestly other than the lackadaiscal play in the first two periods of Game 5, the Caps were all over Montreal in every game. I'm really not sure what series some people were watching.

Duke33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:54 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
So the only way a goaltender makes 40 saves is if they are all unscreened and from the outside?

Really? How long have you been watching this game...?
Yes it is the only way. I have never watched a game before.

Really.

Fact is he saw shots and you know it.

Old
12-23-2011, 12:58 PM
txpd

i can tell you that he didnt see the blocked shots. i am assuming with 40+ on goal and 40 blocked that many of the shots on goal had attempts to block them that failed. assuming that the capitals themselves were no where near the net, the habs had to have screened him regularly in the attempts to block the shots.

recall they were using that layed scheme where they tried to block the shots at three different levels from the shooter to the net.

i dont understand your pov here. you cant block shots and not screen the goaltender. when you are blocking 40 shots you cant be fully or even partly blocking 100% of the shots attempted to block.

its like your saying that either there was a clear unobstructed lane for the goalie to see the shot and 100% of the rest of the shots were blocked.

Old
12-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Yes it is the only way. I have never watched a game before.

Really.

Fact is he saw shots and you know it.
Of course he saw shots, goaltenders always see the majority of the shots they face.

This discussion is getting ridiculous in that some appear to feel it is all or nothing when we all know that was not the case.

Over 3 games the Caps put 134 shots on goal, the Habs blocked 83 more, and the Caps missed the net on 39 more. They scored 3 goals.

How many of those 134 shots on goal were 'good' scoring opportunities? I don't know but IMO roughly the same or possibly a slightly lower percentage as most NHL games.

How many of those 256 shots directed at Halak was he screened on? I don't know but even if the Caps didn't set a single screen over those 3 games, which we know wasn't the case, the mere fact that the Habs blocked almost a 3rd of those shots means that they screened their own goaltender on a lot of others they didn't block and still only 3 pucks slipped past him that whole time.

Did the Caps make it as difficult as possible on Halak? No but that doesn't change the fact that Halak was amazing over those 3 games. It is hockey and that happens even to the best teams.

Old
12-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Atlas

Halak was great. But the blame rests with Boudreau for thinking he could get away with playing his boy Tyler Sloan in Game 5. The ancient Greeks called it hubris.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Millhaus

Especially after he also played him in game 4 and the Caps won that game 6-3...

Old
12-24-2011, 10:13 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

The caps did a lot right. They also left a lot on the table. The right doesn't make the wrong any less forgiveable.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:39 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Especially after he also played him in game 4 and the Caps won that game 6-3...
Bradley's garbage time goal in that game did the Caps in... making them switch back from Price to Halak for the next game.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote