HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it safe to say that Kessel and Lupul are friends?

Old
12-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Deuce Awesome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
Sundin years had players like

Mats Sundin
Gary Roberts
Curtis Joseph
Alexander Mogilny
Steve Thomas
Joe Nieuwendyk

Almost all HHOF potential.

And Sundin years, before the lock out, constantly competed for the playoffs as one of the cup contenders as opposed to this team can't even make the playoffs. I'd welcome back the sundin years with arms wide open, in fact I miss those years, those leaf teams had HEART. And the sens rivalry was tremendous, some of the best playoff hockey. I'm hoping you're twelve cause anyone with half a brain of hockey knowledge would know how much better those Sundin years were than any team we've had since the lockout.

Ahh man I knew it.

The only years we were any good with Mats at the helm was when we had all star vezina caliber goaltending with CuJo and Belfour. Once they were done shining and we were left with average goaltending (Raycroft, Toskalol) we have failed to make the playoffs since. Yes Sundin was with us post lockout. I include that as part of the "Sundin Era". I don't think of these years fondly. We did have a couple runs, granted, but it was goaltending that got us anywhere close to sniffing Lord Stanley. The Sens dominated us every time we played them and it was our goaltenders who stole the series for us.

When I think of true heart from the early 2000's I think of Darcy Tucker. Gave it all for us and burnt out young, you failed to mention him. Nieuwy played one season for us and we got spanked hard by Philly in the second round that year. I agree with the rest, Stumpy only had a couple good seasons with us but he was still a contributor.

The last complete team we had (goaltending, defence, offence) was the back to back semi's in the 90's with Pat Burns as coach. The team Burke is building right now will be reminiscent of those days. Just need a coach like Burns who can instruct a more defensive system.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:20 AM
mapes

Quote:
Sundin years had players like

Mats Sundin
Gary Roberts
Curtis Joseph
Alexander Mogilny
Steve Thomas
Joe Nieuwendyk

Almost all HHOF potential.

And Sundin years, before the lock out, constantly competed for the playoffs as one of the cup contenders as opposed to this team can't even make the playoffs. I'd welcome back the sundin years with arms wide open, in fact I miss those years, those leaf teams had HEART. And the sens rivalry was tremendous, some of the best playoff hockey. I'm hoping you're twelve cause anyone with half a brain of hockey knowledge would know how much better those Sundin years were than any team we've had since the lockout.
Yup, remember when we made the ECF twice in a 4 year span? How many times between 98-04 were we knocked out in the first round? I remember the Stumpy, Mats, Modin line which was killer and I loved Nolan, Mogilny and Mats for the short time they were together. My favorite moment as a Leaf fan happened during that era when Mats tied game 6 against the Canes in the 2002 ECF with like 20-21 seconds left. The place went absolutely NUTS. Too bad we lost in OT. But for that moment I had never been so excited as a fan.

I don't get how anyone says they don't miss those days.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:22 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
The only years we were any good with Mats at the helm was when we had all star vezina caliber goaltending with CuJo and Belfour.
Lol, what? You realize those 2 goalies played with us from 98-06 so that was nearly Sundins entire era with us. Most teams cant make the playoffs with brutal goaltending and Mats had 70+ points nearly every year of his career.

Old
12-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
I get the impression that all of the Leafs get along pretty well together. I forget what foreign player it was but he said something along the lines of I can't believe there are no groups based on country with this team.. not an exact quote but you get the idea. You often hear that players from country A stick together and players from country B etc.

Maybe they all aren't best of buddies but I'd have to think they get along pretty well. I heard Phaneuf will often go to restaurants with various team mates.. it seems well documented that Bozak and Kessel have a bromance and it appears that Lupul is not the third wheel but apart of it!

Team chemistry is key and it seems like this team has it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
i've heard grabovski say that when he was comparing toronto with montreal.
It was Grabovski regarding montreal lockeroom where everyone was divided into groups based on international status and what not while here everyone meshes together pretty well and there is no difference. The KGM line only on the offside worked together to make sure they all scored goals in a way by watching tape and doing seperate practice or something like that.

12-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Lol, what? You realize those 2 goalies played with us from 98-06 so that was nearly Sundins entire era with us. Most teams cant make the playoffs with brutal goaltending and Mats had 70+ points nearly every year of his career.
i dont remember much but from the some amount of videos i watched i loved it

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 01:18 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Is it possible to have such good chemistry between 2 players on the ice if they don't really like each other as people off it? I was wondering about that, and curious to know what you think.
It's modern day Bromance...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
It's modern day Bromance...
this is true bromance

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 04:06 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
the way they celebrate together tells me they like each other on and off the ice. just a pure guess by me...but sometimes stuff like that is easier to point out with some than others. they're probably buds.
I think we can be quite certain that they both play for the Leafs right now.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
As long as they're producing I couldn't care less.

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 12-25-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: not needed.
Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 04:10 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Yup, remember when we made the ECF twice in a 4 year span? How many times between 98-04 were we knocked out in the first round? I remember the Stumpy, Mats, Modin line which was killer and I loved Nolan, Mogilny and Mats for the short time they were together. My favorite moment as a Leaf fan happened during that era when Mats tied game 6 against the Canes in the 2002 ECF with like 20-21 seconds left. The place went absolutely NUTS. Too bad we lost in OT. But for that moment I had never been so excited as a fan.

I don't get how anyone says they don't miss those days.

Easily my most cherished sports memory. I was jumping up and down. It was nuts.

BTW, I'm '89 born so I'm a bit young to have experienced some of the other memorable sports / Leafs moments.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 04:23 PM
HOCKEYGOON

Is there any Leaf player that could be classified as a lockerroom cancer?

One of Burkes goals for this team is character players. You can see this just based on the players he's targeted in recent drafts.

HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 04:24 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
Ahh man I knew it.

The only years we were any good with Mats at the helm was when we had all star vezina caliber goaltending with CuJo and Belfour. Once they were done shining and we were left with average goaltending (Raycroft, Toskalol) we have failed to make the playoffs since. Yes Sundin was with us post lockout. I include that as part of the "Sundin Era". I don't think of these years fondly. We did have a couple runs, granted, but it was goaltending that got us anywhere close to sniffing Lord Stanley. The Sens dominated us every time we played them and it was our goaltenders who stole the series for us.

When I think of true heart from the early 2000's I think of Darcy Tucker. Gave it all for us and burnt out young, you failed to mention him. Nieuwy played one season for us and we got spanked hard by Philly in the second round that year. I agree with the rest, Stumpy only had a couple good seasons with us but he was still a contributor.

The last complete team we had (goaltending, defence, offence) was the back to back semi's in the 90's with Pat Burns as coach. The team Burke is building right now will be reminiscent of those days. Just need a coach like Burns who can instruct a more defensive system.
93 was definitely one of the best teams we had obviously, but the fact remains, the sundin years are far better than anything Burke has done. I didn't mention Tucker because he isn't in their stratosphere career wise. Other players i didn't mention that were great were Corson, Green, Markov, Yuski, a lot of players that just battled hard and never gave up.

And it's sad that you blame Sundin for not making the playoffs with a bad team yet criticize him when he's on a good one. I remember 2 post-lockout seasons the leafs were close to making the playoffs was SOLELY because of Mats. Team had piss poor defense, terrible goaltending, yet he had so many games where he single handedly took over and won/tied games for us.

The Sundin teams went to the ECF twice and made the playoffs every year before the lockout, yet you give all the credit to this team that still has a lot to prove. I hope this team that Burke is building can live up to or surpass what the team in Sundin's heyday did, that's a lot to live up to. In the Sundin years we asked "can we win the cup this year?" In Burke's tenure the question we ask is "Can we make the playoffs this year?" Talk about times changing. I'll take those so called "terrible years" over these years at the moment thank you very much.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 07:39 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Easily my most cherished sports memory. I was jumping up and down. It was nuts.

BTW, I'm '89 born so I'm a bit young to have experienced some of the other memorable sports / Leafs moments.
I'm 87 born so not much difference. We also won the first 2 rounds in 7 games each so the whole playoffs that year was exciting. Mats was injured, too, I believe for a little bit.

I remember 99 pretty well too and IIRC Hasek was injured in game 1 of the ECF (we won) but came back for games 2-5 and won the next 4. That was during Hasek's prime so good luck.

Old
12-25-2011, 07:52 PM
HOCKEYGOON

****** the Senators and Lalime in the playoffs every year was astounding.

HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 07:58 PM
whitera

i remember in bantam, my defence partner and i were great on the ice together but i must say we hated eachother off it. it doesnt really matter then off ice relationship.

whitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:08 AM
KuleminFan41

Well even if they dont like each other at the end of the day these guys are professionals and will do whats best for the club. But they do have incredible chemistry

KuleminFan41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Hopefully the pass was made because Lupul had the better chance of scoring. Friends shmends when the game is on the line.
I would hope that is true as well but Kessel did have a good chance of scoring that goal himself if he had wanted to. If Kessel hated Lupul, I doubt that he would have passed him the puck and probably would have went for the goal himself.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Kessel is very likely NOW Ron Wilson's best friend.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:15 PM
robdicks

Phil Esposito and Bobby Orr apparently had a dislike for each other. You just play through it.

Things that effect chemistry: playing style, the way a player thinks the game, experience playing with each other.

There really isn't much to do with being buddies.

The only way not being friends would have an effect is if one player was spiteful, or selfish and just didn't pass, or set up a player. You really don't want that type of player on your team anyways though.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Apparantly Alexei Kasatonov and Viacheslav Fetisov who were defense partners back in the USSR days as well as on the NJ Devils absolutely despised one another but on the ice they were a splendid duo.

On a more personal basis me and another guy who I couldn't stand [I'm sure it was reciprocated] played great hockey together, we just clicked till we were off the ice and his self-absorbed me me attitude took over and I could barely stand to be in the same bar as him.

Bottom line. Who cares.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:14 PM
dystemper

Quote:
93 was definitely one of the best teams we had obviously, but the fact remains, the sundin years are far better than anything Burke has done. I didn't mention Tucker because he isn't in their stratosphere career wise. Other players i didn't mention that were great were Corson, Green, Markov, Yuski, a lot of players that just battled hard and never gave up.
let's not forget how much locker room poison corson became, and it ushered in a really sad era in the leafs locker room filled with a lot of bitter, personal feuds. dude killed the locker room, ran mogilny (arguably the best player behind sundin) out of town, and from there on out, leafs were mired in that whole "muskoka 5" clique fiasco. took management way too long to ship them out of town.

dystemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Rinzler

I don't think they're friends at all as they don't seem to have compatible personalities. Colleagues whom work very well together for certain, but I don't see the two as guys who hangout outside of work. They don't have to be friends to do their jobs, just have to work together well.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:03 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb03 View Post
I don't think they're friends at all as they don't seem to have compatible personalities. Colleagues whom work very well together for certain, but I don't see the two as guys who hangout outside of work. They don't have to be friends to do their jobs, just have to work together well.
I usually don't chime in on conversations like this but it's been pointed out numerous times that Lupul has attended non-Leaf events with Kessel and others while being in Toronto (where family, friends, etc. can take precedent over hanging out with "the guys" because they see them so rarely).

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:10 AM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystemper View Post
let's not forget how much locker room poison corson became, and it ushered in a really sad era in the leafs locker room filled with a lot of bitter, personal feuds. dude killed the locker room, ran mogilny (arguably the best player behind sundin) out of town, and from there on out, leafs were mired in that whole "muskoka 5" clique fiasco. took management way too long to ship them out of town.
How did Corson run Mogilny out of town if AlMo was here after Corson left?

Mogilny left because the devils offered him more money than we could after the lockout ended. He ended up in the minors and then retiring after he left so its good we didnt match that contract.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Grandpabuzz

Send a message via AIM to Grandpabuzz
That's good that Kessel is getting along with team mates. I remember reading about how he dropped in draft position back in 2006 largely because there were reports that he didn't get along with anyone, hated Jack Johnson, etc.

Grandpabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote