HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal Worst Team In Canada:Damien Cox

Old
12-25-2011, 09:12 AM
dutchy29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
That part has me scratching my head wondering if this guy knows anything about this team. Eller is one of the most blue-collar guys we've got. Not to mention he isn't a winger.
the sitting of subban and eller vs. winnipeg was one of the dumbest coaching moves i've ever seen, we need someone that knows something about hockey to run this team in a hurry. Sitting rookies who aren't obiding by the system in their first year is one thing, sitting a sophmore that logs most of your defensemans minutes is plain dumb. This team doesn't need tough love it needs someone that can motivate and gel the team back together. geeesh

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:16 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
the sitting of subban and eller vs. winnipeg was one of the dumbest coaching moves i've ever seen, we need someone that knows something about hockey to run this team in a hurry. Sitting rookies who aren't obiding by the system in their first year is one thing, sitting a sophmore that logs most of your defensemans minutes is plain dumb. This team doesn't need tough love it needs someone that can motivate and gel the team back together. geeesh
Patrick Roy would light a fire under their ***** so hot it would singe their ass hairs off.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:20 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
I agree on Ellar, people have him overrated on the board, looks good but no finish, translates into no points. He steps it up or gets shipped out !!
How long do you propose you give young talent to start producing at an NHL level?
This is exactly whats wrong with the Habs organization, John Leclaire was very slow to start producing when he was in the NHL, the habs gave him away and he became one of the most prolific scorers in the league, Vincent Lecavlier didn't have much finish until well into his 3rd season.
Problem is Habs management does behave like the average fan and ships young stars like this out before they ever have a chance. The future looks grim.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:29 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
How many other teams have five or six future NHLers going into their AHL team next year? Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Bournival, Gallagher and Kristo all at one time.
LOL. The only blue chip guys we have are Beaulieu and Tinordi and I guess you can say Leblanc but even that is a stretch. The rest are pretty good prospects, but nothing serious. And yes, many teams have decent prospects.

Again, Hab fans do a wonderful job of overrating players. But I guess all fans do that to some extent.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:33 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Well that was a pointless article. Everything we know+errors+smug tone=Damien Cox

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:34 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
How long do you propose you give young talent to start producing at an NHL level?
This is exactly whats wrong with the Habs organization, John Leclaire was very slow to start producing when he was in the NHL, the habs gave him away and he became one of the most prolific scorers in the league, Vincent Lecavlier didn't have much finish until well into his 3rd season.
Problem is Habs management does behave like the average fan and ships young stars like this out before they ever have a chance. The future looks grim.
Uh. Vinny and Leclaire were far further ahead than Eller. I'm not even sure why you're comparing them. Vinny scored 13 goals in his 1st year and 25 with 67 points in his 2nd year. Leclair was a 45 point guy his first full year in the league.

I think Eller's a decent player, but his lack of finish is pretty scary. He has 12 goals in 117 games. I wouldnt ship him off, but if the right deal came along I would. Frankly I'd rather trade DD.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:35 AM
dcyhabs

Cox is pretty good, speaking as a Montrealer who has lived in Toronto. Of course he takes the Leafs over the habs, he writes for the Toronto Star. He generally has a balanced perspective, though. He is way better than most of the other writers in Toronto, and a lot better than most of the guys in the journal de M as well.

The habs are in freefall, easy column for him to say so.

Sitting Eller and Subban but no vets is a bad sign. Is RC going to be JM without the experience?

I think promoting an assistant was a bad move. Bringing in a new face motivates players to prove themselves to the new guy. At least you get a bounce, and, if the team starts winning, you may get team confidence.

Maybe they should have just let the power play go... Now there are too many offensive D-men for the available roles and only Gorges as an effective shutdown guy (OK, Subban does both, and Gill can sometimes play shutdown). Too many lefties again, too.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:36 AM
onebighockeyfan

To be fair Cox constantly posts garbage about the Habs. Just look at his Tweets. He's a ******* jumping at any chance to bash any Habs player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
I saw nothing wrong in what he wrote. He barely gave his opinion at all (only if you read between the lines) and he stated facts. Honestly, if you're not a Habs fan, it's something that may be good and interesting to read.

You guys need to sit back, take a breath and relax. Not everyone hates us, not everyone bashes us. We just suck, deal with it.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy33Clutch View Post
Damien Cox is a horsecrap writer. He seriously is pathetic, jumping at the chance to kick us while were down. Uninformed garbage as usual (and im not just referring to when he writes about the habs). While im ranting same goes for jack todd or whatever his name is haha
Remember when the Leafs were falling apart under John Ferguson Jr. a few years back... They were picked on by every sports writer in Canada...

It was like watching a car accident in slow motion... It's our turn...

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:38 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
Cox is pretty good, speaking as a Montrealer who has lived in Toronto. Of course he takes the Leafs over the habs, he writes for the Toronto Star. He generally has a balanced perspective, though. He is way better than most of the other writers in Toronto, and a lot better than most of the guys in the journal de M as well.

The habs are in freefall, easy column for him to say so.

Sitting Eller and Subban but no vets is a bad sign. Is RC going to be JM without the experience?

I think promoting an assistant was a bad move. Bringing in a new face motivates players to prove themselves to the new guy. At least you get a bounce, and, if the team starts winning, you may get team confidence.

Maybe they should have just let the power play go... Now there are too many offensive D-men for the available roles and only Gorges as an effective shutdown guy (OK, Subban does both, and Gill can sometimes play shutdown). Too many lefties again, too.
We need someone in the room who commands respect. Take a guy like Carlyle for example, he is a very respected coach in the NHL. He's won. If you want to go the bilingual route, then Patrick Roy is the answer. No coach will ever have have the type of support from fans and management in MTL as Patrick Roy will have, the players will know that they have to play for this guy or they simply will not play. He won't take the drama queens and the BS that is surrounding the team right now. IMO he is the man for the job.

Bringing in one of JM's puppets was a lateral move at best.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Keep in Mind that Cox is the same writer that said he hates Habs fans, on a trip to the Equator he was disturbed that he saw a guy with a Habs Tee-Shirt & had that printed in the Toronto Sun. saying were everywhere & seemed like it ruined his vacation.

Leafs fans Love to crap on Montreal, it's our war let us Montreal'ers fight it!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
How many other teams have five or six future NHLers going into their AHL team next year? Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Bournival, Gallagher and Kristo all at one time.
Pretty average talent there, especially at forward where the help is needed the most. 3rd line potential just keeps basic talent flowing into the organization, most other organizations are providing that to their team, and if necessary it's the calibre of talent you can easily pick up in trades or minor free agent signings.

The Habs have no game-changers in their system, another failing of Dr. Evil and Mini Me management.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Keep in Mind that Cox is the same writer that said he hates Habs fans, on a trip to the Equator he was disturbed that he saw a guy with a Habs Tee-Shirt & had that printed in the Toronto Sun. saying were everywhere & seemed like it ruined his vacation.

Are you thinking of Steve Simmons? Cox has historically been balanced and flattering to the Habs organization even when I didn't always agree with him.

Old
12-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Are you thinking of Steve Simmons? Cox has historically been balanced and flattering to the Habs organization even when I didn't always agree with him.
SS is another Arse, but Cox did write that Habs fans annoy him, trust me, I was in Toronto that day! I trashed the Sun on the TTC...

Old
12-25-2011, 10:11 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:

Thing about the leafs is if we don't suck they have no argument and if we do? Well at least well keep our lottery pick.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Thing about the leafs is if we don't suck they have no argument and if we do? Well at least well keep our lottery pick.
Lottery Puck/Pick may not be a bad thing... maybe. and we never suck! never!!!

Old
12-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Regardless of where he thinks Eller plays, he hasn't been anything more than our normal AHLer at this point. I don't get the love. The guy has no finish. Until he can take his level up another level, he will never be more than a has been/should have been.
You also hate Carey Price so that says everything anyone needs to know about your opinion. Eller's line was our shutdown line before he was scratched, playing against other teams top lines whenever possible.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
SS is another Arse, but Cox did write that Habs fans annoy him, trust me, I was in Toronto that day! I trashed the [BSun[/B] on the TTC...
Sun is Steve Simmons, Cox writes for the Star.

Cox has also written some flattering columns about the Habs, he praised Gainey when he took a risk and traded Huet away,he's also done some other columns that do Burke vs The Habs comparison that were written to embarrass the Leafs.

Cox definitely does not drink the Leaf Kool aid and is reasonable when assessing other organizations, even so far as to say he's a "grass is greener over there" type.

Simmons meanwhile is anti-hab and is contrarian to Cox in most respects.

Old
12-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Sun is Steve Simmons, Cox writes for the Star.

Cox has also written some flattering columns about the Habs, he praised Gainey when he took a risk and traded Huet away,he's also done some other columns that do Burke vs The Habs comparison that were written to embarrass the Leafs.

Cox definitely does not drink the Leaf Kool aid and is reasonable when assessing other organizations, even so far as to say he's a "grass is greener over there" type.

Simmons meanwhile is anti-hab and is contrarian to Cox in most respects.
I'm going back a few years Cox used to write for the Sun. On Sportsnet now. There are Ex Montrealer's that write for the Star!

Old
12-25-2011, 10:51 AM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Regardless of where he thinks Eller plays, he hasn't been anything more than our normal AHLer at this point. I don't get the love. The guy has no finish. Until he can take his level up another level, he will never be more than a has been/should have been.
Finally someone who sees the light

When the habs got him, oh man hes got potential give a few months and hes gonna blow up after the holidays ,then nothing changed

Beginning of the season oh man hes ready to blow up now after all he showed last year, then nothing changed

Now its oh man he showed great things in the first 30 games now hes ready to produce .....

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:58 AM
GordonGraham

Quote:
With prospect you never know what will hapeen

A few years ago it was with Komisarek, higgins, ribeiro, lapierre, ryder, latendresse, grabovski, Mcdonaugh, Ak , Sk this team is set

how did that turn out?

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
What a load of crap. On paper the Habs are better than more than half the league.

Jacques Martin destroyed all moral in the lockeroom. Give them some time to get their bearings.
Amazing how people still think this. All you have to do is watch the guys since he was fired and watch before (guys on the bench smiling, Cole's wave, lots of communication between players) and now (frowns, players looking straight in front of them). Not to mention the way they look on the ice and being outscored 17-6 since then. Firing Martin was a terrible mistake and I think the players did not like the move one bit. But keep telling yourself that he lost the room and the players hated him because people on hfboards said so.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Let's be reality
It's between us and Calgary right now

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Skarjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Finally someone who sees the light

When the habs got him, oh man hes got potential give a few months and hes gonna blow up after the holidays ,then nothing changed

Beginning of the season oh man hes ready to blow up now after all he showed last year, then nothing changed

Now its oh man he showed great things in the first 30 games now hes ready to produce .....
I have to agree. Eller has shown that he could be a very good 3rd line shutdown center, and having a player like that would certainly be a change from past years, but he has not shown he has any offensive flair at all. He had success with Moen and Kostitsyn playing soft minutes, but that's pretty much it. Until he shows he can score or set up plays, he's a 3rd liner in my mind.

Sitting him was still dumb though. Just cause he can't score doesn't mean he can't contribute. He's still better than anyone on our fourth line...

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Magic33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
What a load of crap. On paper the Habs are better than more than half the league.

Jacques Martin destroyed all moral in the lockeroom. Give them some time to get their bearings.
You can't actually believe that?

In fact, in my opinion, Martin was the only thing keeping this team afloat for the last few years. People think we should be a run and gun type of team but we actually don't have the horses for that. We needed to play that defensive system and it worked for most of the time he was here. They're just not that good of a team, you just need to take off your Geoff Molson rose colored glasses!

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote