HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Draft Strategy The only Way...

Old
12-25-2011, 10:50 AM
The Goalie Mask

vCash: 500
New Draft Strategy The only Way...

Are only only hope to improve this current team is a a more aggressive new draft strategy for this upcoming draft especially!

We need to get the first round pick from the bottom feeders - Columbus, Carolina, Islanders or Anaheim to position ourselves for the lottery pick...

We don't need to tank.....We can swapt our first round pick with a package of players that aren't part of our future to any of these 4 teams which would secure for us a lottery pick. Most teams don't believe the habs will finish high so our first & second round picks would be attractive to these team if packaged properly.

That would allows to secure a future russian offensive star which we desperately need to add to our core group and will be available in this years draft.

We should focus on making Montreal the go to place for Russian players and french players that way we can tap into top talent. Much like Detroit is the go to place for swedish players Montreal should do the same with talented russian players. Montreal is the perfect place for russian players to transition into north america because of it's european lifestyle. Russians once in Montreal love the city.

We should also get Alexander Radulov from Nashville & Semin from Washington.

We can also get Brassard from Columbus.

Our focus in the draft and young prospects should be top russian & quebec talent. We should also make our environment comfortable for these 2 groups by having language support, housing support, culture support and vet players to help them transition in Montreal.

What do you guys think?

The Goalie Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goalie Mask View Post
Are only only hope to improve this current team is a a more aggressive new draft strategy for this upcoming draft especially!

We need to get the first round pick from the bottom feeders - Columbus, Carolina, Islanders or Anaheim to position ourselves for the lottery pick...

We don't need to tank.....We can swapt our first round pick with a package of players that aren't part of our future to any of these 4 teams which would secure for us a lottery pick. Most teams don't believe the habs will finish high so our first & second round picks would be attractive to these team if packaged properly.

That would allows to secure a future russian offensive star which we desperately need to add to our core group and will be available in this years draft.

We should focus on making Montreal the go to place for Russian players and french players that way we can tap into top talent. Much like Detroit is the go to place for swedish players Montreal should do the same with talented russian players. Montreal is the perfect place for russian players to transition into north america because of it's european lifestyle. Russians once in Montreal love the city.

waaay easier said than done

Our focus in the draft and young prospects should be top russian & quebec talent. We should also make our environment comfortable for these 2 groups by having language support, housing support, culture support and vet players to help them transition in Montreal.

What do you guys think?

waay easier said than done. if it were that easy most teams would be doing this. Oh wait they already are and thats why its so hard to do

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:12 AM
neofury*

Since bottom feeders are in our position but even worse they'll never give up their 1st. Their 1st comes at the cost of Subban, Price, Pacioretty, maybe if Gorges was signed to a good deal him + prospect... no way you'll get CBJ 1st for a guy like Cammy/Gio/1st(or combination). When you have the opportunity to draft a young Ovechkin Crosby etc, you don't take Cammy + Future Kostitsyn (draft pick) for Future Ovechkin. It just doesn't make sense, you go with the high pick in almost all cases where it's a deep draft.

I just think we should tank and get what we can in general for those players, to teams looking to take them, the best deal from the team we feel will finish lowest in the standings. We could probably get 2nd + prospect from some teams for guys like Cammy/Gio/etc maybe if we're lucky a low 1st. I doubt we get a top 15 pick.

I agree with Montreal going Russian/French if they can, but I'd rather the best most compatible high end players available be it UFA or draft. But I wouldn't mind being that team that tries to get Russians back into the NHL. If you have several on your team more will be confident to sign there.

Radulov is a pipe dream and Semin imo could be the wrong direction, could just be another Cammalleri except he doesn't put up points in the post season...

Brassard is a possibility but I think it would require overpayment.

I don't necessarily think they have to be Russian/Quebecois but I do agree it's kind of a good idea for locker room purposes if most of the players are from the same places and speak the same language, and for being on the same page and communication.

I've always loved Russian players too. I want the next Bure on this team or the next Mogilny. Some Russian player who is really high end. Of course I would just as easily want the next Crosby or Giroux. This team has a star goalie and PK will have a bright future people just need to trust me on that one But we need that one (or two) elite forwards like a Kovalchuk/Parise kind of tandem. If we can tank I won't mind, I know it will upset a lot of fans but I'd actually be excited about this team if we go 1-2 years with lotto picks. It can really help change a team. We have some of the pieces already in Pacioretty and in my opinion Kostitsyn and Gorges. Cole can stick around too. Plekanec is an obvious keeper. The rest can honestly go. We're set with Price/PK but we need that star forward, Plekanec is imo capable of 80~ points if he had a guy like that. Some guy who can make things happen, not a Cammy, somebody who is on another level.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Skarjak

I don't know... it's very hard these days to get the lower ranked teams to trade their draft picks. I think everyone is aware of their value nowadays.

We could could a pretty decent amount of 2nd rounders by trading vets, though, and you can always find good top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen in the 2nd round.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Bieber fever

no bottom feeders will trade their first round pick this year ........let's just acquire some random 1st in 2012 and hope one of them will end up beeing that kid Mckammon ( like Boston did with Kessel)

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:29 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:

What do you guys think?
we dont need more junk like Radulaov, Brassard , etc...we have our own crap to work with on this team

the first order of business is stop the BS singnings in the offseason

no more 4+ million players who have no impact on this team or are way overpaid

Cole, Cammy, Gio, Markov ( FINISHED ) ETC, ETC.... stop this

and this includes Gorges , Kronwall just got 4.5 Gorges isnt 1/2 the player he is

use him as trade bait for get picks

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:39 AM
TheBuriedHab

Of course we get a gift of a thread like this on Christmas.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:39 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
First of all Merry Christmas everyone.

2nd of all when the Bottom feeders KNOW they are bottom feeders, you will have to pay a premium for their #1 pick, and even then there's no guarantee.

Its alot of risk and a high price for not much of an assurance. I agree once every 10 years or so if you have faith in the top tier players in the draft you go for broke and get the pick, but otherwise your going to kill your future

JHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:42 AM
LeHab

Quote:
We can swapt our first round pick with a package of players that aren't part of our future to any of these 4 teams which would secure for us a lottery pick. Most teams don't believe the habs will finish high so our first & second round picks would be attractive to these team if packaged properly.

What do you guys think?
It's 25 of December so I am going to be nice and only say your proposal is a terrible deal for the opposite team.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:49 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Radulov is a pipe dream and Semin imo could be the wrong direction, could just be another Cammalleri except he doesn't put up points in the post season...
i need to know where this myth started that semin doens't put points in the playoffs. if you check his post-season stats, you'll notice they are almost identical in pace to his regular season stats.

in other words, he puts as much points on the board during the playoffs as he does during the regular season

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:53 AM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
we dont need more junk like Radulaov, Brassard , etc...we have our own crap to work with on this team

and this includes Gorges , Kronwall just got 4.5 Gorges isnt 1/2 the player he is

Radulov junk and trade Gorges ? really ?

Last edited by PATCHESx67: 12-25-2011 at 11:58 AM.
PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:03 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarjak View Post
I don't know... it's very hard these days to get the lower ranked teams to trade their draft picks. I think everyone is aware of their value nowadays.

We could could a pretty decent amount of 2nd rounders by trading vets, though, and you can always find good top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen in the 2nd round.
I think the only way we can get a very high pick is if our own draft pick is high (say we have 6 or 7th overall) so we can trade it + a prospect or a few 2nd rounders to move up.

There is no way a bottom feeder would trade their first for our overpaid veterans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
Radulov junk and trade Gorges ? really ?
And Cole is useless at 4m

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:37 PM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
It's 25 of December so I am going to be nice and only say your proposal is a terrible deal for the opposite team.
Actually most hockey experts and other teams feel that we will finish outside the playoff race. They felt this way before the season and now with all the turmoil the general consensus is even a worse finish.

This mean that the perception out there places us with at least a top 10 pick. We need to use this perception to our advantage and package our first pick (which will be quite good) to move hire for a lottery pick. Between vets, other draft picks & prospects we have enough to put together a nice package to either Carolina, Anaheim, Columbus or islanders.

We have pieces that would address needs these teams have and the GMs would consider our offers.

Old
12-25-2011, 09:43 PM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Of course we get a gift of a thread like this on Christmas.
The only gift we need is assembling some competent leadership in management, coaching,scouting and vet leadership...merry christmas!

Old
12-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Lafleurs Guy

If we want higher picks, a good route to try is to go after clubs who may hold another club's pick or contenders who have good prospects. Washington for example has Colorado's pick. Phoenix had Turris (thought maybe he's a bust) and there are probably other clubs with good prospects that we culd try to go after as well.

Problem is though that a lot of our best tradeable assets are slumping badly. And if we're looking to sell, that really kind of sucks...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:19 PM
wedge

I looked at the date the topic was started. I was sure it was in 1968, when GM weren't as smart as today.

nevermind...

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

What do you guys think?
Sounds like Burke with the Leafs.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Russian players are the last thing wr need, even the elite ones tend to stop giving a constant effort after a huge contract (ovi,kovi) thats assuming they dont bolt to the khl after a benching.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:47 PM
beaverBFP

This team does not need more soft Russians, we need more Canadian born player who have passion for the game.

More Getzlaf type players, less Semin.

beaverBFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Nothing new here...

1- We'll need to part with our UFAs of value to playoff-bound teams as rentals to get picks.
2- Keep all our picks
3- Our veterans that might interest other teams to get picks (3rd, 4th, 6th round picks, anything really).
4- Keep all our young players.
5- Keep all our picks.
6- Try to trade up at the draft.
7- Keep all our picks
8- Try to hit the jackpot with one of our multiple late round picks.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverBFP View Post
This team does not need more soft Russians, we need more Canadian born player who have passion for the game.

The Getzlaf-inspired Ducks are storming through the West. NOT!!! And who says that Canadian-born players have passion for the game from the moment of conception or the milk they're fed? I'd still welcome Ovechkin and Malkin and Datsyuk. There are lots of US Americans I'd gladly take. (And isn't Emelin popular with the fans who attend the Bell Centre?) By saying Canada you're less chauvinistic than the fans who specify Québec but you're hardly free from chauvinism.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post

I might take a crack at Radulov depending on the price...If I had assurances from his agent he would report send Weber Palushaj and a conditional 2nd(if he reports), with a 2nd coming back if he doesn't come this year.

Brassard for the money he makes and the knocks on him(softness and inconsistency), the price would need to be very cheap with him playing little and making 3.2 mil for 2 1/2 more years. Gomez would need to be going the other way in the deal(Gomez + Weber/Palushaj for Brassard + AHL veteran/NHL depth or 4th/5th rounder).

Why would we be in a rush to trade Gorges?

I agree if he wants 4.5 mil/year it will be hard to sign him. He's a solid #3-4 who isn't a great PP guy and not a big hitter. At 3.5-3.8 for 3-4-5 years I go for it, but for 4+ I have to think long and hard and check what I can get back as guys like Mitchell, Gleason and Allen will be UFA's.

What BS offseason signings do you not like?

I don't see where Markov is finished, if anything the extra time off should make his knee taht much stronger hopefully avoiding the dreaded Wisniewski 3rd ACL surgery. Lots of athletes have come back from ACL injuries, with a guy as skilled as Markov I would be verry patient before dumping him/moving on. If we were talking Campoli or AK or Gill then those guys can be replaced, but guys Markov's calibre rarely get traded or signed as UFA's.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverBFP View Post

I don't think Canada has the market cornered on grit or Russia has it cornered on softness. Guys like Datsyuk Wellwood Ribeiro Brassard Emelin Ovechkin Spezza Thornton Lecavalier blow up taht stereotype.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:11 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Impossible to be done in this league unless you take advantage of a desperate team/GM years in advance before they know they are in line for the 1st overall.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:12 AM
BigHabs

Quote:

What do you guys think?
1. That just sounds wrong. I think the last thing is that the Habs need to secure a Russian. I understand both are slated to be good players. We are only having problems, look how long it took the media to give Kostitsyn a break. He still gets it once and awhile. Now I know that these guys will have more potential. Just too be honest I think the Habs need to start building around North American players. That way no question marks and drama about them bolting to Russia and never reaching their potential in Montreal. I want to start getting a more physical, forechecking, star power team. Plus I would hate to see a player like them come into a crap storm which we have going on and probably all the way to the draft. We don't even know if we will have the same GM or Coach.

2. I would not be interested in Radulov, its the same crap every year, we don't know if he is coming back. Always reports every sing year about him coming back and he never does. Just a show. Wouldn't want that here it would just be a drama fest with the media is he ever took off again.

3. With all the crap going on in Washington and him supposely being a distraction last week. I wouldn't touch that to bring him here.

4. This is probably the worse. I wouldn't want this team built around Russians and Quebecois. Quebec's talent pool has died down a bit, not where it used to be before. Russians while fancy foot work and dangling. Just not too many of them in the league that can take hits and body work. This would be the worst combination to have on the roster. The funny part about it would be Russians talking to the Russians in Russian and the French talking to the French in French. I could just picture a split right down the locker room right now. Plus we have been slowly moving away from that old thinking. Finally drafting North American talent with grit and heart. Picking up Bournival in a deal. Gallagher, Leblance, Beaulieu, and Kristo. I like where this team is going. The thing I like right now is they are getting French players to please fans, but are French players with talent rather than plugs. Which is great for our future.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote