HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Game #33: St. Louis Blues at Pheonix Coyotes

Old
12-23-2011, 11:00 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Lucky to win it. But that's a sign of a good winning team-winning the poorly played games. Still, it would be nice to have them start scoring PP goals.
No Christmas presents before Christmas day...so, the Blues will get their PP goal(s) on the 26th against Dallas.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:04 PM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

They just mentioned on the postgame show that the Blues are 8-2-0 in games following a regulation loss. Not that tonight was a great example of that, as they had a few major bounces go their way and Elliott was stellar in net, but still, I find it encouraging going forward.

kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:14 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
So now to play Dallas. Against Dallas and Colorado the last year and a half, 11 games, 10 losses. This has to change. Especially with a home game against Nashville and two road games against Detroit in the five days after that game.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Fred Murtz

Elliott saves and post game interview

Alex Pietrangelo post game interview

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Fred Murtz

T.J. Oshie & Evgeny Grachev Merry Christmas

David Perron and Roman Polak Merry Christmas

Patrik Berglund and Jaraslav Halak Merry Christmas

Last edited by Fred Murtz: 12-23-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:43 PM
sh724

I really really really wish somebody would tell Kelly and Pang nobody cares about their golf outings. They bring it up several times every game and with every person that is in the press box with them. Now they are showing highlights of their golfing, really? this is hockey if I wanted to watch that I would turn it to the golf channel

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:20 AM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton724 View Post
I really really really wish somebody would tell Kelly and Pang nobody cares about their golf outings. They bring it up several times every game and with every person that is in the press box with them. Now they are showing highlights of their golfing, really? this is hockey if I wanted to watch that I would turn it to the golf channel
yeah, i absolutely hate those 2. I especially hate how john kelly ALWAYS says "oh and he hit the top corner!!" after every goal. Almost all of those are after the player shoots the puck midway into the goal opposed to actually hitting the corner. As a player myself, it really irritates me because sniping the corner is so much harder than just tapping it in, and I hate when Kelly gives players credit for something they obviously didn't do. HATE IT!

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Gullibull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman1707 View Post
yeah, i absolutely hate those 2. I especially hate how john kelly ALWAYS says "oh and he hit the top corner!!" after every goal. Almost all of those are after the player shoots the puck midway into the goal opposed to actually hitting the corner. As a player myself, it really irritates me because sniping the corner is so much harder than just tapping it in, and I hate when Kelly gives players credit for something they obviously didn't do. HATE IT!
You and the above poster should try watching the opposing team's broadcast sometime. We're fortunate to have the broadcasting duo that we do. Any John Kelly criticism should be directed toward his programmer; he only says what he's programmed to say. Not his fault.

Gullibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:35 AM
OhNoLookOutRUN

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullibull View Post
he only says what he's programmed to say.
When I read this sentence, all I can think of is ROBOT KELLY.

OhNoLookOutRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:56 AM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullibull View Post
You and the above poster should try watching the opposing team's broadcast sometime. We're fortunate to have the broadcasting duo that we do. Any John Kelly criticism should be directed toward his programmer; he only says what he's programmed to say. Not his fault.
Actually I have gamecenter so I watch a lot of hockey and have heard every teams announcers a few times. While some are better than others I do not know of any that spend as much time talking about golf as hockey. And I have definitely never seen any other team show highlights of their golf. I do not have a probably with kelly and pang but they should do their job and discuss hockey not golf, if I cared that much about them where I wanted updates on their daily golf trips I would go to twitter and ask them not watch a blues game.

Everything they say is not from their producer, their golf discussions usually come out of nowhere and are more like two friends talking to each other than two guys broadcasting a sporting event. Producers set up whats said during intermissions, right after commercial breaks. what replays to show, ect. The producer does not script them an entire show as that would be impossible and if it was the tv networks would higher random people with nice voices to read off of a teleprompter. Nobody is telling these guys so spend 15 mins a game talking about golf they just enjoy talking about it. It would be one thing if STL was known for having good golf courses or had high profile PGA events every year and used those to segue into their own stories but that is not the case.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:30 AM
BlueDream

EDIT: Scratch that post....

Good win for us. Don't like the 'Yotes, they aren't a talented team.

Last edited by BlueDream: 12-24-2011 at 02:41 AM.
BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:27 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Kelly and Pang are among the best in the league. I'm not a big fan of Kelly's delivery and overall vocal style. I think his catchphrases are weak, he's not particularly exciting, and I HATE the way he picks up Beninati-isms like "melts it down" and "circles the wagons" (that's ****ing not what that phrase means, professor). Nevertheless, John Kelly is one of the most prepared play by play announcers in hockey. He knows players on the other teams very well. He studies the guys, their names, and their tendencies. The only name I think he gets wrong regularly is Hjalmarsson, but that's not because he doesn't know the player, it's just a goofy flaw. This is not the case for most play by play guys out there, who, for the most part, go with "and X team gets the puck out of the zone" when it isn't a star.

Pang is awesome. Some people think he's annoying, but he's so passionate, knowledgeable, and objective and I like his sense of humor.

I don't care about golf at all, but I thought their golf talk today was a hoot. Honestly, most of the time, I'd prefer to watch a game with no announcers at all. Just give me the sounds of the game and that's it. But if there are guys talking, make it fun. Whether it's interviewing Armstrong or goofing around, whatever. I don't need them to tell me who has the puck and what he did with it because I can see that with my eyes.
I can understand if you aren't familiar with the opposition or if you find it distracting, but I don't have those issues.

Plus, it wasn't a particularly exciting game. Lots of back and forth neutral zone play. It's hard to complain when the alternative to golf talk is, "Blues have it, oh, nope, they flipped it to the Coyotes, who quickly give it up. Now it's the Blues, whose rush fizzles on the boards. The Coyotes knock it to center, where the Blues get it and fire it back in and change lines," over and over.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 06:06 AM
BluesRiver

I echo the sentiments expressed here that the Blues' TV announcers are excellent and much better than most tandems around the League. I can't think of other announcers off-hand, but maybe it Carolina's TV announcers who are also very good and not homerish at all.

This topic could be a good thread by itself. We could compare the other teams' TV announcers.

BluesRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:51 AM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
...and I HATE the way he picks up Beninati-isms like "melts it down" and "circles the wagons" (that's ****ing not what that phrase means, professor).
THANK YOU. I've gotta admit that Kelly's grown on me quite a bit since his first season here, but every time he pulls that one out it drives me insane (for the exact same reason). I knew I couldn't be the only one.

kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:34 AM
FOOTE
bloody hell

Needed this win before the little break here. Next week is going to be a big one.

FOOTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Blues0307

Spectr17, you're a welcome addition to the board. Thanks for posting the goals.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:01 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
Spectr17, you're a welcome addition to the board. Thanks for posting the goals.
In the running for "Blues HF Board MVP" this season.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:02 PM
execwrite

The Grachev-Arnott-D'Agostini group looked pretty strong as the third line.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Rizzo90

yeah, as corny & sometimes annoying as Kelly & Panger can be, THE worst is the guy from the sabres who yells scooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrre..... WHAT A COMPLETE JACKALOPE!!

Doc Emerich (spelling?) is THE best that ever was!! Wish he called the blues games

Rizzo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpremix88 View Post
Tkachuk - Weight - Guerin
Rucinsky - Cajanek - Dvorak
Stempniak - McClement - Backes
Mayers - Johnson - Drake

We've come a long way.
Look at that second line...Insert puke smiley.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:31 PM
stlweir

It was even worse after the Blues dealt the veterans on the first line.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Gullibull

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton724 View Post
Actually I have gamecenter so I watch a lot of hockey and have heard every teams announcers a few times. While some are better than others I do not know of any that spend as much time talking about golf as hockey. And I have definitely never seen any other team show highlights of their golf. I do not have a probably with kelly and pang but they should do their job and discuss hockey not golf, if I cared that much about them where I wanted updates on their daily golf trips I would go to twitter and ask them not watch a blues game.

Everything they say is not from their producer, their golf discussions usually come out of nowhere and are more like two friends talking to each other than two guys broadcasting a sporting event. Producers set up whats said during intermissions, right after commercial breaks. what replays to show, ect. The producer does not script them an entire show as that would be impossible and if it was the tv networks would higher random people with nice voices to read off of a teleprompter. Nobody is telling these guys so spend 15 mins a game talking about golf they just enjoy talking about it. It would be one thing if STL was known for having good golf courses or had high profile PGA events every year and used those to segue into their own stories but that is not the case.
That's kind of what I like about them. They have this weird chemistry together that's hard for me to pinpoint. Obviously John Kelly is a robot from the future programmed as a broadcaster, but Panger seems to bring out the humorous side of JK that wasn't intended to be there. I think they do a great job announcing the games, and I blame Panger for leading the discussion off into tangents. Inevitably, that happens every time there's a guest in the booth (Armstrong in this case). I'm willing to forgive them and look past it, because it doesn't happen too often and I enjoy the duo.

Sidenote: John Kelly's hole-in-one is absolute proof that he is a cybernetic organism. No mere mortal could pull off such a feat.

Gullibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:06 AM
superblues
I'm being sarcastic.

vCash: 50
pang and kelly.jpg

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:01 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by superblues View Post
I was thinking more Gilligan and the Skipper. My son got a kick out of this one.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote