HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011-2012 NBA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 03:51 PM
levski87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Yep, ever since 1998. Before that, I was as diehard a Knicks fan as you could find. I don't understand how anyone can like them right now. What is there to like, especially if you like the Rangers? What do we love about the Rangers right now? Well, the fact that they have a homegrown, drafted and developed core, no? The Knicks, after making horrible mistakes for over a decade, finally start to have the makings of a real team with some real impressive and versatile players, and they give it all away - and for what?

A guy who ****ed over his team, his teammates, and his coach for an entire season, a guy who behaved with zero class, a guy who spent most of his 7-8 years with his last team playing lazy, uncommitted defense. A guy who, for me, ruins the experience of watching basketball. It's a team sport, and I enjoy watching teams execute. I enjoy passing, I enjoy great execution of plays. I like watching the Spurs play. I like watching the Thunder play. The Lakers (since they got Gasol). There's nothing more boring in basketball for me than watching a black hole player, who for every nice individual effort, makes 2 or 3 terrible ones.

Finally, I was starting to come around to being a Knick fan again. After years and years of betrayal, players like Gallo, Felton, and Chandler were getting to me. It was hard not to like them. Same old Knicks, though. Just a bunch of free agents. This isn't a team, and they're not your team. I can't wait to see them not win a championship. I have nothing but similar feelings for the Heat, I don't like what they did, either, but at least Lebron and Wade are far better players than Anthony. I look forward to watching them and the Bulls achieve far more success over the next few years.
I never get your logic towards the Knicks. You would prefer a team with Felton, Gallo, and Chandler over a C.Anthony/T.Chandler? How can you even say that?

The Knicks today are a far better team than the Knicks from last year. Anthony is a star player in this league, and with the pick up Chandler, we are a true contender. We were a .500 team last year with your golden players, and you want us to contend for a championship with that ****** roster?

I, along with other Knicks fans, KNOW that Anthony/Chandler/Davis give us a better chance to win a title then those 3 scrubs you mentioned above. Basketball is a team game, but a single player can take over certain points of the game (Remember Jordan,Kobe,Wade,Lebron....). Anthony has that ability, which far outweighs anything Gallo/Felton/and Chandler would have ever contributed.

Some of your posts lead me to believe you have never EVER played basketball in your entire life.

Oh and btw, the only reason the Knicks were "good" last year was because of Stat. Guess what, he isn't a homegrown player, just a UFA that played lights out for us.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:19 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
I never get your logic towards the Knicks. You would prefer a team with Felton, Gallo, and Chandler over a C.Anthony/T.Chandler? How can you even say that?
Because I don't enjoy rooting for selfish, lazy **********? Because I like watching teams, not collections of free agents and hired guns? Because I enjoy team basketball, not one on one playground displays?

Quote:
The Knicks today are a far better team than the Knicks from last year. Anthony is a star player in this league, and with the pick up Chandler, we are a true contender. We were a .500 team last year with your golden players, and you want us to contend for a championship with that ****** roster?
Then how come the Nuggets, in a tougher conference, were so much better after the trade when they acquired the scrubs, as you said? Better than the Knicks, in fact, particularly where defense is concerned. And no, I don't think that Knick team could contend for anything. I do think that if the Knicks don't make the Anthony trade, keep the team they had before it last year, and then sign a guy like Chandler this summer, they'd have a much better and deeper team than they do now.

Quote:
I, along with other Knicks fans, KNOW that Anthony/Chandler/Davis give us a better chance to win a title then those 3 scrubs you mentioned above. Basketball is a team game, but a single player can take over certain points of the game (Remember Jordan,Kobe,Wade,Lebron....). Anthony has that ability, which far outweighs anything Gallo/Felton/and Chandler would have ever contributed.

Some of your posts lead me to believe you have never EVER played basketball in your entire life.

Oh and btw, the only reason the Knicks were "good" last year was because of Stat. Guess what, he isn't a homegrown player, just a UFA that played lights out for us.
The fact that you would put Anthony in the same conversation as Jordan, Bryant, James or Wade, all of whom are excellent defensive players, leads me to believe that you don't understand how basketball is played at the NBA level. Ditto for calling Felton and Gallo scrubs. Yeah, a great perimeter defender and phenomenal 3 point shooter who can drive the lane and get to the free throw line is a scrub.

I'll stand by a prediction I made not long after he was drafted: Carmelo Anthony will never win an NBA championship.

Oh, and I played organized basketball from age 7-16, though I don't see how that matters at all.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain me how you are a Knick fan if you like this team. How are these Knicks? Sounds more like a bunch of frontrunners to me.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Because I don't enjoy rooting for selfish, lazy **********? Because I like watching teams, not collections of free agents and hired guns? Because I enjoy team basketball, not one on one playground displays?

Then how come the Nuggets, in a tougher conference, were so much better after the trade when they acquired the scrubs, as you said? Better than the Knicks, in fact, particularly where defense is concerned. And no, I don't think that Knick team could contend for anything. I do think that if the Knicks don't make the Anthony trade, keep the team they had before it last year, and then sign a guy like Chandler this summer, they'd have a much better and deeper team than they do now.

The fact that you would put Anthony in the same conversation as Jordan, Bryant, James or Wade, all of whom are excellent defensive players, leads me to believe that you don't understand how basketball is played at the NBA level. Ditto for calling Felton and Gallo scrubs. Yeah, a great perimeter defender and phenomenal 3 point shooter who can drive the lane and get to the free throw line is a scrub.

I'll stand by a prediction I made not long after he was drafted: Carmelo Anthony will never win an NBA championship.

Oh, and I played organized basketball from age 7-16, though I don't see how that matters at all.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain me how you are a Knick fan if you like this team. How are these Knicks? Sounds more like a bunch of frontrunners to me.
I'm with this guy. I loved this team at the start of last season. I have nothing against Melo, but I would rather have all those guys. Especially since they were developing (Galo, and Chandler)

Old
12-19-2011, 05:35 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Drafted my first NBA fantasy team in years today...

John Wall
James Harden
Trevor Ariza
Melo
Stat
Chandler
Frye
Okafor
Odom
Ben Gordon
Casspi
Ricky Rubio
Shumpert

12 team rotisserie, I'm sure it's terrible but I've got big expectations for my big 3!

Old
12-19-2011, 06:26 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Gallo, Chandler, and Felton are role players...that's it.

Knicks and Rangers fans both have this thing with overrating their players. Stars win championships. Dallas, SAS, and Detroit are the exceptions. Look throughout history and 95% of teams had at least two stars. We couldn't just wait for Gallo and Chandler to develop into the next big things, which I don't think they will anyways. You need stars like Melo to compete in the playoffs vs. guys like LeBron. A team of Amare, Felton, Gallo, Chandler, Mozgov was a 1st-2nd round exit for years to come, Amare is approaching 30 too, so we couldn't just wait. A team of Amare, Melo, Chandler, Fields, Davis, TD, Shumpert is not bad and a contender IMO.

What was your plan than if you didn't want Melo? Just wait for Gallo to become the next Dirk?

Old
12-19-2011, 06:39 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Neither Chandler or Gallinari are starters on a championship team.

Good players coming off the bench though.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:53 PM
levski87

Quote:

Hmm, I didn't know that Carmelo is a selfish, lazy, *********, but thanks for the opinion. I guess he was so lazy when he carried Syracuse to that NCAA title. Man, what a bum!

Not ever play in basketball is considered TEAM basketball, Mr. 9 years playing organized basketball. Basketball does have isolation plays and every star player has their own share per game. Kobe has them, Jordan did, Lebron.. the list goes on and on...

I rather Carmelo have the ball in his hands over a player like Gallinari or Felton (lol). There really is no comparison here.

Also, you're rating that the Nuggets are better than the Knicks over a 20 game sample? You of all people should know that is an extremely small sample size to use as evidence. Lets observe this season how the Nuggets compare to the Knicks.

Let's not overhype Gallinari here, his 3 point shooting wasn't anything spectacular. Last year his 3PT FG% was .347 with the Knicks.

Anthony's was .316 when he played with the Nuggets. The difference is negligible.

Carmelo will never win a championship? Well, the odds are in your favor simply because ONLY ONE TEAM WINS PER YEAR.

We like this Knick team because they have 2 All-star forwards, a defensive center who knows what it takes to win, and rising PG/SG's in Douglas and Shumpert.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:55 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post

Knicks and Rangers fans both have this thing with overrating their players. Stars win championships. Dallas, SAS, and Detroit are the exceptions. Look throughout history and 95% of teams had at least two stars. We couldn't just wait for Gallo and Chandler to develop into the next big things, which I don't think they will anyways. You need stars like Melo to compete in the playoffs vs. guys like LeBron. A team of Amare, Felton, Gallo, Chandler, Mozgov was a 1st-2nd round exit for years to come, Amare is approaching 30 too, so we couldn't just wait. A team of Amare, Melo, Chandler, Fields, Davis, TD, Shumpert is not bad and a contender IMO.

What was your plan than if you didn't want Melo? Just wait for Gallo to become the next Dirk?
Exactly.

Some Knicks fans sure do love their role players. You need allstars on your team to win in this league and the Knicks finally have that.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post

this man gets it.

this is a league of stars. you need to build around stars and then fill in the gaps as best possible.

Felton and Gallo are OK players...nothing more, nothing less. plus, Felton is already 27 years old. its not like hes going to develop into a better player than what he is now.

they are definitely way better off with Melo than they are with those role players. and now with Chandler all this team needs is someone who can competently play PG

Old
12-19-2011, 11:18 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
PGs are suppose to handle the ball the most.

He will mesh well with Amar'e Melo AND Chandler. Why?

Because he can break down a defense by getting into the paint and he has good court vision and passing skills. Something Tony Douglas doesn't have.

Did you watch him with the Clippers? Lots of ally-oops to Blake Griffin..

Handle yes but B-Diddy takes lots of shots. Between 02 and 08 (his prime years) he was taking anywhere from 16 to 20 shots a game. When you consider his FG% hovering around 40-41%, that's not that appealing.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:23 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
John Hollinger notes an interesting statistic on Davis: he had the highest "quality assist" number of any player in the league. More than half of his assists resulted in easy layups or dunks, well above anyone else. He also ranked 16th out of all PGs (65 total) in assist ratio, or the number of player possessions that resulted in an assist--just behind Andre Miller, Deron Williams and Raymond Felton.

He's not Jason Kidd or Steve Nash out there, but he seems to be a well above-average distributor of the ball from the 1 spot.

Not questioning Diddy as a distributor (there's a reason he's avering more than 7 assists a game over his career) just as a guy who chucks up tons of shots. IMO he shoots too much as a point guard. With Melo and Amare damanding so much of the ball a pass-first PG would do wonders for Knicks. B-Diddy is NOT a pass first PG.

Old
12-24-2011, 11:26 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Opening Day in less than 12 hours.

LGK!

Old
12-25-2011, 11:34 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Melo looks real good right now.

Old
12-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Muh
Beadle

Good first half.

Go Knicks, start this Christmas day off right.

Old
12-25-2011, 12:55 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

What the hell has happened.

Old
12-25-2011, 01:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Just checked the score on my phone. Jesus christ, what happened. So much for the new defensive Knicks.

Old
12-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Looks an awful like last years playoff series.

Old
12-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I don't think there will be a defensive Knicks as long as Mr. Pringles is the coach.

Old
12-25-2011, 01:24 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Just checked the score on my phone. Jesus christ, what happened. So much for the new defensive Knicks.
Rondo killing us.

TD can't guard him to save his life.

Old
12-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Look at all that D!!!

Old
12-25-2011, 01:35 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Nice to see Lundqvist at the game.

Old
12-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Nice to see Lundqvist at the game.
Prust is there too.

Old
12-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

I'll take it.

Old
12-25-2011, 01:53 PM
M0rbid

Those cheap shot artist Celtics deserved it...... I hope they continue to lose.

Old
12-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Missed the game, but we won...

AwwwYeaaahh

Closed Thread