HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Gainey now with the team

Old
12-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Halak had potential as well. He was a 24 year old goalie that carried his team into the playoffs and through to the ECF.

Eller was sold to us as a guy who could play NOW and contribute NOW. 1 1/2 years later we're still waiting.

Frankly I think Gauthier made the right choice but again, I think he misjudged Eller's capabilities.

LOL @ huge potential. His ceilling is 2nd line center. But his lack of finish does not scream huge potential, does it?
Stop making stuff up so you can attach a false paradigm to your faulty logic.

He does have huge potential, but considering your manic use of comfabulations, I wouldn't trust you to see anything for what it is.

And before you argue, what the Habs said about Eller is that he was ready to play in the NHL, that's all. The rest you added to it.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 03:06 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Can someone explain to me why the Habs situation is so catastrophic?

Sure they're doing awful this year, but they have several excixting young players and a pretty solid core in place and some exciting prospects coming up the lines in the next year or two.

I thought Gainey did a good job, not mistake free and didn't ultimately achieve what he had hoped for but he set up a good foundation for this team for years to come, took a team with nothing, rebuilt them on the fly and had a team that was contendering for the playoffs almost every year as well.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 03:08 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Eller was sold to us as a guy who could play NOW and contribute NOW. 1 1/2 years later we're still waiting.
lol no he wasn't!

edit: well, i see ozy beat me to it...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 03:12 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
lol no he wasn't!

edit: well, i see ozy beat me to it...
I disagree completely anyways. Eller hasn't put up the offensive numbers but he contributes to this team in many different ways. I think he's a very solid young player and can't wait until he really gets going.

Old
12-25-2011, 04:46 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post

Sure they're doing awful this year, but they have several excixting young players and a pretty solid core in place and some exciting prospects coming up the lines in the next year or two.

I thought Gainey did a good job, not mistake free and didn't ultimately achieve what he had hoped for but he set up a good foundation for this team for years to come, took a team with nothing, rebuilt them on the fly and had a team that was contendering for the playoffs almost every year as well.
Why is it so catastrophic? Poor trading and asset management by Gauthier.

Look at Hamilton. One of the worst teams in the AHL. There isnt a lot there.

You can go through the list of Montreal transactions last year and you will see a lot of trades for nothing (Laps is a good example) in return and lot of giving up of draft picks.

Regarding Halak, I like Eller. I think one day he will be productive for this team. However, we should have gotten more for him.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 04:51 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Halak had potential as well. He was a 24 year old goalie that carried his team into the playoffs and through to the ECF.

Frankly I think Gauthier made the right choice but again, I think he misjudged Eller's capabilities.

LOL @ huge potential. His ceilling is 2nd line center. But his lack of finish does not scream huge potential, does it?
He had a whole 7 nhl games under his belt when we got him. Where did you dream that up?

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 04:52 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Stop making stuff up so you can attach a false paradigm to your faulty logic.

He does have huge potential, but considering your manic use of comfabulations, I wouldn't trust you to see anything for what it is.

And before you argue, what the Habs said about Eller is that he was ready to play in the NHL, that's all. The rest you added to it.
Apart from Eller being a little raw I think management was fairly accurate in saying he's NHL ready but they never said he would be a big time player asap.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 04:58 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

You can go through the list of Montreal transactions last year and you will see a lot of trades for nothing (Laps is a good example) in return and lot of giving up of draft picks.

Regarding Halak, I like Eller. I think one day he will be productive for this team. However, we should have gotten more for him.
They've consistently been good, and look at the influx of quality that is likely coming to them next year. Bournival, Gallagher, Beualieu, Tinordi, Kristo, Quailer maybe?

Lots to be excited about.

Giving up a lot of draft picks? Some, but they've also recouped some picks in some ways as well and they've not given up any 1st rounders except for in the Tanugay, deal, and before he got hurt that looked like a sound investment.

Old
12-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
He had a whole 7 nhl games under his belt when we got him. Where did you dream that up?
I dont know if you were watching hockey 2 years ago but what he's saying is true and was stated by Gauthier when the trade was made. He said Eller will be able to contribute now.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:08 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I dont know if you were watching hockey 2 years ago but what he's saying is true and was stated by Gauthier when the trade was made. He said Eller will be able to contribute now.
77 games played last year, he was able to contribute. I don't recall Gauthier saying he'd contribute in a top 6 offensive role.

Old
12-25-2011, 05:12 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
And he is contributing, at a 3rd/4th line level. The statement " 1 1/2 years later we are still waiting" is downright laughable.

Are you guys so desperate for anything to run gauthier down with you will rip on a 22year old kid who hasn't been given a chance?

Old
12-25-2011, 05:20 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
And he is contributing, at a 3rd/4th line level. The statement " 1 1/2 years later we are still waiting" is downright laughable.

Are you guys so desperate for anything to run gauthier down with you will rip on a 22year old kid who hasn't been given a chance?
I disagree Sharp. He hasn't been given offensive chances as much as I owuld have liked to see, but he's been getting quality minutes in the NHL, coming along exactly how I'd like to see any youngster who isn't a surefire top line guy.

I'm less upset than others about Eller sitting, sometimes I'm sure it can be a good thing to sit down for a night and have a look at things from another angle. What's encouraging to me is that Lars Eller from what I've been able to gather about him as an opinion doesn't seem like the type of kid to be slighted by something like this.

Old
12-25-2011, 05:24 PM
HCH

Quote:

I thought Gainey did a good job,
Wow! Gainey did a horrible job. I don't know how anyone can delude themselves into thinking otherwise. As long as he is still has any influence, don't count on many positive results

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:29 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
I disagree Sharp. He hasn't been given offensive chances as much as I owuld have liked to see, but he's been getting quality minutes in the NHL, coming along exactly how I'd like to see any youngster who isn't a surefire top line guy.

I'm less upset than others about Eller sitting, sometimes I'm sure it can be a good thing to sit down for a night and have a look at things from another angle. What's encouraging to me is that Lars Eller from what I've been able to gather about him as an opinion doesn't seem like the type of kid to be slighted by something like this.
Until he is given top 6 minutes/linemates he probably wont develop into a top 6. I think if Eller is PG's worst move we are in good hands.

Old
12-25-2011, 05:34 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Wow! Gainey did a horrible job. I don't know how anyone can delude themselves into thinking otherwise. As long as he is still has any influence, don't count on many positive results
How did he do a horrible job? The team has been competitive to very competitive almost every year since he took the job.

Old
12-25-2011, 05:36 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
stop making sense.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:37 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Until he is given top 6 minutes/linemates he probably wont develop into a top 6. I think if Eller is PG's worst move we are in good hands.
I agree with that both, Still so young...a Plekanec/Eller combo at center is kind of enticing for in a couple of years, and where does DD go? He's proven at worst he could be capable of being a small 3rd line centerman who can be on your PP wave and provide results.

Could he be a winger? All preseason I wanted to see a Kostitsyn-Eller-Desharnais line. Could have a chance to do that now.

And then you can put Plekanec (our teams best forward) with 2 beasts of wingers.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cole
Kostitsyn-Eller-Desharnais
Moen-Gomez-Gionta
Blunden-Noekeleinan-White

Old
12-25-2011, 05:49 PM
FeelsLike93

I wont be the guy who creates a new thread and it gets locked right away so ill just stick it in this thread so you guys are aware of this 'rumor'.

As per incarcaratedbob on twitter, says Habs prepared to fire their GM in the next 7-14 days and make a trade in that same timespan.

Hopefully Gauthier isnt the one making the trade before he gets the boot..

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:51 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelsLike93 View Post
I wont be the guy who creates a new thread and it gets locked right away so ill just stick it in this thread so you guys are aware of this 'rumor'.

As per incarcaratedbob on twitter, says Habs prepared to fire their GM in the next 7-14 days and make a trade in that same timespan.

Hopefully Gauthier isnt the one making the trade before he gets the boot..
You can't really be serious can you Feelslike93?

Do you really believe that if the Habs were going to fire Gauthier he'd be making any trades beforehand?

Old
12-25-2011, 06:02 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
You can't really be serious can you Feelslike93?

Do you really believe that if the Habs were going to fire Gauthier he'd be making any trades beforehand?
Molson would simply refuse the trade.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:14 PM
habsjunkie2*

I'd love to seem them all cleaned out, and I hope to god Bob Gainey's role with this team is eliminated too, he is a terrible, terrible GM.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:54 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I'd love to seem them all cleaned out, and I hope to god Bob Gainey's role with this team is eliminated too, he is a terrible, terrible GM.
Gainey took over a team that was in disarray and brought them back to respectability. Ultimately his tenure has been a disappointment, but pieces that he brought in through trades or draft are huge parts of this team and could very well be part of the core of the habs team that wins the cup in the near future.

To call him terrible just confuses me, what did he do that made him a terrible GM?

Old
12-25-2011, 07:05 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

1- Agreed. Gauthier needs to go.

2- LOL! Calder Cup in 2007, WCF in 2010, WCF in 2011. Most of that core is now on the Habs so of course they won't be as good this year. Lots of great prospects for next year though!

3- Somewhat agree. The goalie market though is terrible. Price is also much better.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 07:10 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
1- Agreed. Gauthier needs to go.

2- LOL! Calder Cup in 2007, WCF in 2010, WCF in 2011. Most of that core is now on the Habs so of course they won't be as good this year. Lots of great prospects for next year though!

3- Somewhat agree. The goalie market though is terrible. Price is also much better.
Why does Gauthier need to go?

The way I see it, he's compiled a pretty solid team. THe results certainly aren't there this year but he's made lots of good moves and hasn't really had many big miscues. The Markov one sucks, but cosnidering the options I still support signing Markov.

Old
12-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
stop making sense.
Why have you been putting different good looking women on your avatar on a hockey discussion site? This is just something I've always found bizarre. What shortcomings in your life are you trying to compensate for? Just wondering.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote