HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Worst Team In Canada:Damien Cox

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-25-2011, 05:36 PM
  #76
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I dunno LL, I don't see the big risk, Give up no assets and add a guy for 3 years at 4.25. Not super long term, he's very durable something this team could certainly use, he's a very bright offensive player.

My problem currently is Campoli. He has no business being in the line up. To me the habs need to trade Gill and Campoli both, one because there's no spot for him and the other because he's a proven playoff warrior.
Short term? No issue with kaberle, but if he failed to meet expectations we'd have Gomez and kaberle at 11.5 mil cap hit as dead weight, that's not easy to swallow even if it's for 1-2 years. It's tough for Molson to pay 10+ mil on something useless. So, IMO, it's a risk, not a major one, but the capspace he takes prevents us from signing other guys as well.

Look, campoli, gill and so on, trade them for a 2nd-3rd a piece because we aren't keeping them. If you can trade kaberle this summer for more than you got him for=win. The habs are missing a top blueliner. I would overpay for a guy like shea weber. Anyone not named Subban, Price or pacioretty is available. However, having kaberle's contract in the fold obviously limits such a deal from being even considered. That's risk, perhaps not a realistic or probable risk, but it does handcuff your options.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:44 PM
  #77
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Hard to dispute. The most depressing aspect of our team is that we have so many relatively long-term contracts being used on underachieving players, who are past their prime (Gomez/Markov/Gionta/Cammalleri/Kaberle). It will take several years to get out of this gutter.
In 2 years about 28 million is freed up... considering this season is mostly over.

That is not so bad.

3 years of high draft picks could be excellent.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:45 PM
  #78
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Short term? No issue with kaberle, but if he failed to meet expectations we'd have Gomez and kaberle at 11.5 mil cap hit as dead weight, that's not easy to swallow even if it's for 1-2 years. It's tough for Molson to pay 10+ mil on something useless. So, IMO, it's a risk, not a major one, but the capspace he takes prevents us from signing other guys as well.

Look, campoli, gill and so on, trade them for a 2nd-3rd a piece because we aren't keeping them. If you can trade kaberle this summer for more than you got him for=win. The habs are missing a top blueliner. I would overpay for a guy like shea weber. Anyone not named Subban, Price or pacioretty is available. However, having kaberle's contract in the fold obviously limits such a deal from being even considered. That's risk, perhaps not a realistic or probable risk, but it does handcuff your options.
There are always ways around that LL, handcuffs options to a slight extent I suppose but the way the team is formulated right now they are looking in absolutely filthy shape at the conclusion of the 2013/2014 season.

Would I Love Anze Kopitar on the Habs right now? Yes, him and possibly 50 other guys I'd love to see the habs go all in, send a bunch of assets their way and bring him back. But who knows how that will turn out, and what sort of ridiculous return any of these high end centermen would garner.

Stay the course, accumulate assets, search the free agency markets for shorter term guys that can have the potential to pay off big.

Good call on Kaberle, if he turns it around he's a VERY tradeable asset. I think he might end up staying with the Habs, frustrating us a great deal sometimes, but ultimately being a valuable player for their defence.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:50 PM
  #79
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
In 2 years about 28 million is freed up... considering this season is mostly over.

That is not so bad.

3 years of high draft picks could be excellent.
Born, Cammalleri is in a huge funk but I think he'll turn it around, or be gone, within weeks. He's not great but he's a proven consistent 30+ goal threat. Gionta is good for around 25 odd goals as well, very inconsistent though.

THere's no reason to think the Habs can't draft high this year and regroup for next season and be a playoff bound team right away.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cole
Kostitsyn*-Eller-Leblanc


That looks to me like a pretty slick top 6, if you add in Cammalleri, or Gionta or both to that and move forward looking at next year that's a potentially sick top 9 as well.

Search the UFA bin for some bargain guys looking for one year deals to parlay into multiple year deals (think Malhotra with the Sharks in late Summer 3 years ago) and move into a season next year with some combination of those 6 guys I just listed in the line up and any one of or multiple of Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta. Solid defence too.

The thing is, unless the cap goes down...there's no cap crunch coming for Montreal next year. They could basically be fine just by not re-signing Kostitsyn and promoting Leblanc or someone of his ilk. It's not a big deal.

The season after Pacio is an RFA (along with Desharnais, and Weber..and who knows hwat happens with Emelin and Diaz) so there will be a crunch there I would think. The habs are fortunate that other than Price no one soon will be up for any big money raises. Even Gorges and Kosty both make a pretty penny already so any adjusting for their raises wouldn't be massive issues.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:05 PM
  #80
Habbadasher
Registered User
 
Habbadasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My couch
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Damien Cox, is a hater, he is brutal in his criticism, and all you have to do is look at the standings, and look on website or two, and write a trashy piece like that.

If Cammy doesn't improve, I'm sure there will be a team or two willing to take a chance on the playoff leader in goals from two years ago. Philly gave-up a first for Versteeg, I say Cammy is better.

Need a good puck mover? Well, we have Kabs, Toronto got a decent return for him last year.

We can rebuilt with our prospects, a high draft pick, and a decent return for Cammy and Kaberle.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:01 PM
  #81
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,274
vCash: 500
How can anyone argue against us being the worst canadian team?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:05 PM
  #82
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Why are sports journalists such a bunch of nerds these days? It's unreal. They seem like a bunch of tightass guys who think they are above everything even though they have experienced zip. Whatever happened to the real sports journalists who were more in the down and dirty nitty gritty, who knew what was going on on the ground, who knew the athletes personaly and wouldn't just make something up?

More importantly the old school journalists were passionate about the sport while the new ones seem to spend their time denigrating the sport.
Time to get over it guys, things change all the time, journalism is not what it was 10 years ago, let alone 20-30 years ago, and it won't be the same in 10 years. Change journalism with whatever word you want, and it will be the same. Welcome to LIFE.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:09 PM
  #83
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
How can anyone argue against us being the worst canadian team?
Ottawa is garbage, and main reason we are the "worst" team right now, is because our team skill is being underutilized, because coach has a "blue color" approach and because everyone is drawn into panic mode.
Ottawa sucks, and Tor is going back to having 4GA/Game, they suck. Edmonton and Calgary suck also. Come to think about it, except for Van, Canadian teams are quite below average.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:10 PM
  #84
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,274
vCash: 500
Right, but at the end of the day we are the worst team in Canada.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:14 PM
  #85
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Right, but at the end of the day we are the worst team in Canada.

At the current moment, result oriented only, would be a yes and i agree, but that might change soon, which IMO i doubt, because the players will be living with the threat of being traded and rumors circulating, which will only solidify the status of "sucking".

But there is defiantly room to argue against it, considering i doubt anyone 5 games ago would come out with article about the habs being worst Canadian team.

The timing of the article says everything you know about the reason and existence of the article.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:43 PM
  #86
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Can someone explain to me what is so bad about the Habs' situation?

Sometimes for whatever reason a season goes poorly, that doesn't negate all of the good things about the Habs at all, yet some people try to make it seem that way.

It's really bizarre.
Cox explained it pretty well actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
So one offseason and things are an undisputable disaster?

You say yourself they have a good young core in place, what is so bad about the Habs situation moving forward? Every year 14 teams in the league miss the playoffs. Since the lockout the Habs have made the playoffs more often than not.

Gauthier has made several very good moves and everytime I ask for examples of all the awful moves it's just malarkie I get as an answer. Meaningless crap that proves nothing.

I love where this team is headed in the future and would be more than happy if Gauthie was the man leading them.

The habs might be lacking blue chip high end prsopects, but they have several guys ALREADY producing and they actually have a pretty sweet little group of guys not in the NHL yet...and when you combine that with the possibilities they have this season and offseason the group could look unbelievably imrpessive.
It's not a disaster. We're just going through a really terrible time right now.

Point is though that we don't have great prospects on the horizon. We have what we usually have. Decent young players that can make up a decent team but not much more than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
How can anyone argue against us being the worst canadian team?
Right now they can't. That could change with a win streak and a drop by some other clubs but right now we suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
At the current moment, result oriented only, would be a yes and i agree, but that might change soon, which IMO i doubt, because the players will be living with the threat of being traded and rumors circulating, which will only solidify the status of "sucking".

But there is defiantly room to argue against it, considering i doubt anyone 5 games ago would come out with article about the habs being worst Canadian team.

The timing of the article says everything you know about the reason and existence of the article.
Very true.

However, we still don't have a great future ahead of us based on what I see out there. If we ever want to build a contender we're going to have to stop doing things the way we have. Reactive moves aren't going to get us anywhere.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:57 AM
  #87
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !
 
Vsevolod Bobrov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Habs are awful right now (on paper they shouldn't be), but surprise surprise we still have a lot of injuries. That's on management though for building around injury-prone and smaller players (who generally wear down over time).

I have no explanation for the performance of a guy like Cammalleri this year. Dude has just given up. I for one am all for packaging off as many vets as possible this year and try to get into the lottery pick. Move up to the top spot if need be. We have some very decent youth coming up over the next 2-3 years so now is the time to pick up some high-end picks and shed as many bad contracts as possible.

The only guys over 25 I think we should keep are Gorges, Plekanec, Cole, Kaberle (just because you can't move that contract) and Markov. Sit Markov the rest of the year so he can come back at 110% next year and get a full training camp. Tank it.
How could you get rid of Gomez, Cammalleri and Gionta, yet consider Kaberle unmovable

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:24 AM
  #88
stides*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Parkdale
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 500
lol you guys are 6 points back of the playoffs with 46 games remaining. I thought leafs fans were jumpy but, damn! if the leafs by some miracle make the playoffs i want montreal in there as well because if we played it would be epic.

stides* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:37 AM
  #89
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Cox explained it pretty well actually.

It's not a disaster. We're just going through a really terrible time right now.

Point is though that we don't have great prospects on the horizon. We have what we usually have. Decent young players that can make up a decent team but not much more than that.

Right now they can't. That could change with a win streak and a drop by some other clubs but right now we suck.

Very true.

However, we still don't have a great future ahead of us based on what I see out there. If we ever want to build a contender we're going to have to stop doing things the way we have. Reactive moves aren't going to get us anywhere.
It's not the greatest future ahead, but i don't think it's bad. All that i care is that we keep our current core of players. PK, Price, Georges, Eller, Patches, Pleks and you can add Emelin and Leblanc to that list. And i hope the recent panic will not be detrimental to that core. i'm not big fan of these players missing out on the PO's, even if it's only for 4 games.
Whatever comes next, i hope that core is intact next September, and with a set plan and blueprint to winning. Whatever the strategy is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLights View Post
lol you guys are 6 points back of the playoffs with 46 games remaining. I thought leafs fans were jumpy but, damn! if the leafs by some miracle make the playoffs i want montreal in there as well because if we played it would be epic.
Unless you follow the habs closley, to most this seems like a slump, but its deeper then that. Over the last 4 games, we have yet to observe any comprehensive on ice plan, and panic is set in the habs organization as much as the fanbase. It can obviously turn around and we could be back in PO race, but honestly, it seems like the employee's don't care and seems like anyone can get "fired" anyday, and the players know it. Until there is some kind of stability instiled in this team, panic is visible from the owners all the way to the play on the ice by EVERY player right now. It's kind of scary.


Last edited by uiCk: 12-26-2011 at 02:43 AM.
uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:44 AM
  #90
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !
 
Vsevolod Bobrov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLights View Post
lol you guys are 6 points back of the playoffs with 46 games remaining. I thought leafs fans were jumpy but, damn! if the leafs by some miracle make the playoffs i want montreal in there as well because if we played it would be epic.
There's 3 teams ahead of us and we have more games played than all of them. Actually make it 4 teams we're competing with because Tampa is a threat to us at this point. Everytime we grind two points, its basically guaranteed another team will have climbed on the same night too.

But what really makes the habs look like utter **** is the way they lose. They have no coherence or direction as a 5-man unit and there aint any sign of hope at horizon. Out of Gomez, Gionta, Cammaleri and Kaberle, Cammy is the only one who I see potentially picking up his game and he's the most disinterested of the bunch.

Add Markov to the body count and we have about 30 million$ worth of **** all. This team is a complete mess.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:56 AM
  #91
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,162
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
In the 3-Point world of the NHL, were way out! Were the chihuahua, We should be Bulldogs.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:43 AM
  #92
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
How can anyone argue against us being the worst canadian team?
Because the truth hurts.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:07 AM
  #93
LordRamsay
Come out and flay
 
LordRamsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 905
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
I'm going back a few years Cox used to write for the Sun. On Sportsnet now. There are Ex Montrealer's that write for the Star!
You're confused. Cox has never written for the Sun.

Also, I've never seen him say he hates the Habs or Hab fans. Not his style.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:48 AM
  #94
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,068
vCash: 500
i bet cox waited a long time to write this,

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:34 AM
  #95
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Not only is Damien Cox the worst writer in Toronto, he is the worst writer in the country, he's off once again imo.

The Flames are in the worst position now and the future, their prospect pool is weak, the best players are aging, our best players are young, so, to me, Calgary is by far the worst team in Canada, Montreal is 3rd imo, Ottawa is 2nd, but has a loading pool of prospects moving forward, so long term the Sens are positioned better than us.

I'd have np saying over this year and the future the habs are 2nd worst in Canada, but the worst belongs to Calgary AINEC.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:41 AM
  #96
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
How can anyone argue against us being the worst canadian team?
Not very hard to do with Ottawa hvaing half an AHL team, Calgary being on a downward spiral and Toronto not having made the playoffs in like 7 years and dropping after a hot start.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:44 AM
  #97
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Not only is Damien Cox the worst writer in Toronto, he is the worst writer in the country, he's off once again imo.

.
We've slipped to where all "the worst writer(s) in the country" will come out of the woodwork to laugh at us. It comes with the territory... We've been there in the past... The Leafs have also been there recently. Whole books have been written on how much they stunk... We've got to suck it up until the team gets better.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:03 AM
  #98
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,804
vCash: 500
Cox along with that twitchy Simmons are both terrible writers. I'm baffled as to how these two morons even have a job...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:10 AM
  #99
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,223
vCash: 500
Montreal needs a Damien Cox. Cox is critical of the Leafs, and was expecially hard on John Ferguson Jr. once he realized that JFJ was a Houle-like stooge to MLSE's Richard Peddie. He questioned the trading of draft picks and young players on a team that was supposedly under a 5 year building plan under the new GM. He thought the Leafs were a laughing stock when they were in fact that.

Cox also has not been drinking the Burke Kool Aid although he will praise when a deal looks strategic.

Sorry, some are barking up the wrong tree. Some people haven't even read the article thoroughly or are so afraid of this reality as to block the words out from their minds. Cox is commenting on the team AT CHRISTMAS. He says this is the state of the NHL RIGHT NOW. He's talked about injuries, notes some of the prospect that may help, and doesn't predict the future.

Some fans need to wake up. Coffee's brewing.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:59 AM
  #100
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,335
vCash: 500
Habs are by far the worst Canadian team.

Do you guys actually watch them pay and seriously think the habs are better than Ottawa or the Leafs or Calgary?

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.