HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This team no longer represents its fans

Old
12-24-2011, 08:58 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
hopefully only losing the fair weather fans who wait on a return of the nordiques. And I am getting very tired of this crap. I am not looking forward to seeing that silly protest.
the part I bolded was refering to culture and language in case you didnt notice...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Le CH

Given the reactionary and emotional nature of this fanbase/media and managements recent decisions, Id say you are very well represented by the organisation. This team is struggling at the moment and its frustrating but hopefully this will only lead to the bandwagoners jumping ship... good riddance ( oh and take Gomez with you ).

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

What Im really tired of is people who speak in the name of all fans.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:39 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
What Im really tired of is people who speak in the name of all fans.
I agree with you , and my personal opinion is that not only this team has been playing the ''get in the playoff by a hair and get bounced , draft average player , rinse and repeat'' game for 20 years , they've been doing it all the while taking away some of the french factor out of the club.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
the part I bolded was refering to culture and language in case you didnt notice...
by putting it in french it lets those who would call me out...ahem....understand exactly my point of vue on this silliness. As I am sure someone with a Quebec flag for an avatar would understand that. But then again, some in Quebec would label me a "vendu".

Maerry Christmas

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Why? Our greatest quality is that we show up. Otherwise we're obnoxious, entitled, and turn on the team more often than we change our bedsheets.

Go to the Bell Centre and tell me we have good fans. It's a bunch of malcontents who'd rather be elsewhere waiting for "their" team to make a mistake so they can be even angrier. In Nashville you have a crowd that gives their team a standing O during TV timeouts to try to get them back in the game. Good luck trying to get our fans to even start a "go Habs go" chant if we're down by one.

And as for our "best" quality, the empty seats I've been seeing in person and on TV tells me we're not even as good at that as we claim to be. Toronto fans have been filling their rink for the past 7 years of Hell. A half season of crappy hockey here and people start skipping out on games. And then some have the gall to say it's because we have high standards.

So no, I don't think we're nearly as good a fan base as we so modestly claim to be. And if teams were assigned to fans based on merit, we've got the team we deserve.
Your post is spot on. The bold part is the general consensus about Montreal fans, whether people choose to accept that or not... it's just a fact really.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Guy Caballero

So many drama queens. It's like no one has ever seen a team go through an ebb before. I didn't see anyone say boo when they got 103 points, which wasn't that long ago. Fortunes turn on a dime in the modern NHL. We suck now, but it won't take much to right the ship.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 03:28 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal
Why? Our greatest quality is that we show up. Otherwise we're obnoxious, entitled, and turn on the team more often than we change our bedsheets.

Go to the Bell Centre and tell me we have good fans. It's a bunch of malcontents who'd rather be elsewhere waiting for "their" team to make a mistake so they can be even angrier. In Nashville you have a crowd that gives their team a standing O during TV timeouts to try to get them back in the game. Good luck trying to get our fans to even start a "go Habs go" chant if we're down by one.

And as for our "best" quality, the empty seats I've been seeing in person and on TV tells me we're not even as good at that as we claim to be. Toronto fans have been filling their rink for the past 7 years of Hell. A half season of crappy hockey here and people start skipping out on games. And then some have the gall to say it's because we have high standards.

So no, I don't think we're nearly as good a fan base as we so modestly claim to be. And if teams were assigned to fans based on merit, we've got the team we deserve.
describes this board well enough...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:23 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
by putting it in french it lets those who would call me out...ahem....understand exactly my point of vue on this silliness. As I am sure someone with a Quebec flag for an avatar would understand that. But then again, some in Quebec would label me a "vendu".

Maerry Christmas
Of course you think it's silly, watching people "fight" for something you have no problem giving away must be odd to you.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

Boo hoo hoo. The OP has a short memory. He's already forgotten about the dreary, incompetent Houle regime in which the Habs were lucky to make the playoffs in any given year. Or as recently as the mid-2000s (like the time the Habs lost to the Leafs and missed the playoffs).

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 12-25-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Ginu

A team may not be playing well and it might be boring to watch, but in no way is a team meant to represent its fans. It's made to win, end of story.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Teufelsdreck

When I was young and the Habs won five Cups in a row IN A SIX-TEAM LEAGUE, the fans felt pride in the team BUT NO SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT. Once Maurice Richard hung up his skates the city had to wait five more yaars in which Chicago and Toronto took over. The teenagers and twenty-somethings of today demand a re-creation of those days without any comprehension of how difficult it would be to match it in today's NHL.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 12-25-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old
12-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
When I was young and the Habs won five Cups in a row IN A SIX-TEAM LEAGUE, the fans felt pride in the team BUT NO SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT. Once Maurice Richard hung up his skates the city had to wait five more yeaars in which Chicago and Toronto took oover. The teenagers and twenty-somethings of today demand a re-creation of those days without any comprehension of how difficult it would be to match it in today's NHL.
My memories begin a decade later, but still well within the dynasty years. There definitely WAS a sense of entitlement. Back then, a stretch of more than two seasons without a Stanley Cup was considered worrisome. Remember - we burned through Claude Ruel and dumped Al MacNeil before getting Bowman. The water level was much higher and so were our expectations.

I don't think today's younger fan base lacks comprehension, and, in fact, I'd say they feel entitled to far less than we did back then. The water level has lowered considerably and so have the expectations. My guess is young fans would happily settle for an entertaining ride towards the Cup, even if we don't make it all the way there. Our famous 2010 run was a perfect example. We fell short, but the fans loved it. The Habs gave us a great story with great characters, and re-energized the city. People love watching underdogs overachieve; they hate watching our current potential underachieve.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

Oh sorry, I thought this was the Islander's forum. If you guys are disgruntled we could definitely use some fan support on the Island. We stink now but we have some good young prospects. Also Hab fans are familiar with our arena because you guys fill it every time the Habs come to Long Island. Just sayin'.

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
My memories begin a decade later, but still well within the dynasty years. There definitely WAS a sense of entitlement. Back then, a stretch of more than two seasons without a Stanley Cup was considered worrisome. Remember - we burned through Claude Ruel and dumped Al MacNeil before getting Bowman. The water level was much higher and so were our expectations.

I don't think today's younger fan base lacks comprehension, and, in fact, I'd say they feel entitled to far less than we did back then. The water level has lowered considerably and so have the expectations. My guess is young fans would happily settle for an entertaining ride towards the Cup, even if we don't make it all the way there. Our famous 2010 run was a perfect example. We fell short, but the fans loved it. The Habs gave us a great story with great characters, and re-energized the city. People love watching underdogs overachieve; they hate watching our current potential underachieve.
Do you remember why McNeil was dumped right after he won the Cup? The French players on the team (particularly Henri Richard) objected to being coached by an anglophone. That irked me but I was pleased when Bowman was named.

Old
12-25-2011, 10:55 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Does a professional hockey team need to represent you?

I am so tired of people wanting validation.

Did your mommy not hug you enough as a child?

Cowboy up. Sheesh...
It's the YOUtube generation. The FACEBOOK, that is, MY face, generation. In fact, there was literally a Myface page, right?

Not surprised at all. There is no separation any more between the event and the fan. The fan becomes the event. It's a world best suited for callow narcissists, who must somehow participate and be seen in every situation.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
It's the YOUtube generation. The FACEBOOK, that is, MY face, generation. In fact, there was literally a Myface page, right?

Not surprised at all. There is no separation any more between the event and the fan. The fan becomes the event. It's a world best suited for callow narcissists, who must somehow participate and be seen in every situation.
I call them the Agent Smith generation. Me me me.

All want to be different and special but end-up being all the same.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:06 AM
BoNeS42

Quote:
Boo hoo hoo. The OP has a short memory. He's already forgotten about the dreary, incompetent Houle regime in which the Habs were lucky to make the playoffs in any given year. Or as recently as the mid-2000s (like the time the Habs lost to the Leafs and missed the playoffs).
Oh yeah, because us Quebecers want any french speaking idiot to take the job. NOPE, get that **** out of your head. Not many people were happy to see this mess from Day 1, mainly because all of those guys were inexperienced.

Like I said in other posts, I could care less is my coach was a ****ing mexican, but at least, hire someone with experiences who was growing up as a Habs fan or something.

Also, if we have 2 people tied to take the job, yes it should go to a french speaking person first, but only if it's very close.

People have a problem with Cunneyworth because he isn't a well known winner and is obviously a ****ing Senators that doesn't give a **** about the Habs and is only hired because all this organisation is filled with ****** Senators.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
When I was young and the Habs won five Cups in a row IN A SIX-TEAM LEAGUE, the fans felt pride in the team BUT NO SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT. Once Maurice Richard hung up his skates the city had to wait five more yaars in which Chicago and Toronto took over. The teenagers and twenty-somethings of today demand a re-creation of those days without any comprehension of how difficult it would be to match it in today's NHL.
I'd be happy if management actually just tried to do it.

We haven't seen any kind of real effort towards building a real winner in a long time now.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'd be happy if management actually just tried to do it.

We haven't seen any kind of real effort towards building a real winner in a long time now.
That's a ridiculous statement. These are all proud people. To say they haven't made any kind of real effort is pretty pathetic, no offense.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
That's a ridiculous statement. These are all proud people. To say they haven't made any kind of real effort is pretty pathetic, no offense.
None taken.

Please show me what they've done to assemble a contender. All I've seen are quick fixes and panic moves to make 8th place. Where has the proactive planning come in? Please... show me.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:45 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
A team may not be playing well and it might be boring to watch, but in no way is a team meant to represent its fans. It's made to win, end of story.
It's not winning anyways... What's your point?

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:47 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
nope i dont have a short memory...those teams played with more passion and will to win, they just had worse players than the current teams.

on paper recent teams have been much better and the skill of players on the current roster far surpasses anything we had in those eras, but those teams played with much more heart...

this team had heart 2 seasons ago, not now. And last team to have us at the edge of our seats and play with passion was Carbo's team that finished first.
maybe they were all playing like that so they can get the next year (jk)

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:38 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I call them the Agent Smith generation. Me me me.

All want to be different and special but end-up being all the same.
Great posts.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:59 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
This team always represents it's fans win or lose...were red and white. It's OK to lose as long as we grow!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote