HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ice skate fitting help

Old
12-25-2011, 07:49 PM
DelZottoLover

vCash: 500
Ice skate fitting help

Okay so i'm a female, 20 years old.. and 105 lbs. It seems like all the skates I try on never work for me. I can skate forwards but can never seem to turn, or stop. Idk if it's my skates...my boot.. or whatever. I'm pretty light and I always get guys making fun of me telling me to gain an extra 70 lbs if I want to play on a women's team. Anyway I have to get junior skates to fit better. I recently just got a pair of Eastons ultra lite pro SBX. in a size 4.5 D they are very comfortable however when I tried to skate on them yesterday my ankles just kept caving inwards. I know your ankles are supposed to have room, but I think I might of had to much room. Would I have to go to a size C? The only thing is I can't seem to find any skate online that makes a size C. Or should I go to a size 4.0 D in juniors?

DelZottoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 07:52 PM
DelZottoLover

Skate fitting help for ladies narrow feet lol

Okay so i'm a female, 20 years old.. and 105 lbs. It seems like all the skates I try on never work for me. I can skate forwards but can never seem to turn, or stop. Idk if it's my skates...my boot.. or whatever. I'm pretty light and I always get guys making fun of me telling me to gain an extra 70 lbs if I want to play on a women's team. Anyway I have to get junior skates to fit better. I recently just got a pair of Eastons ultra lite pro SBX. in a size 4.5 D they are very comfortable however when I tried to skate on them yesterday my ankles just kept caving inwards. I know your ankles are supposed to have room, but I think I might of had to much room. Would I have to go to a size C? The only thing is I can't seem to find any skate online that makes a size C. Or should I go to a size 4.0 D in juniors?

Old
12-25-2011, 08:15 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
what you are describing sounds like it has more to do with your skating ability, and ankle strength than the skates.

What size shoe U.S. size are you wearing?

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:41 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Things you can try:

Graf 703's -very narrow boot and they do make it in an N (narrow) width

Deeper Hollow- 3/8ths or so on a sharpening will give you more bite into the ice if its slipping you are having trouble with.

Superfeet- provide support for your heel and stop it from twisting in the skate (therefore less inward pronation)

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:10 PM
DelZottoLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
what you are describing sounds like it has more to do with your skating ability, and ankle strength than the skates.

What size shoe U.S. size are you wearing?

I'm not sure what is is In mens i'm a 6.0 in women's i'm a 7.0. Basically when I stand on my skates it feels like my ankles are singing towards my inside edge and my toes sort of grip on the boot.

Old
12-25-2011, 09:11 PM
DelZottoLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
Things you can try:

Graf 703's -very narrow boot and they do make it in an N (narrow) width

Deeper Hollow- 3/8ths or so on a sharpening will give you more bite into the ice if its slipping you are having trouble with.

Superfeet- provide support for your heel and stop it from twisting in the skate (therefore less inward pronation)
Where can I buy superfeet? I've heard of that before

Old
12-25-2011, 10:20 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoLover View Post
I'm not sure what is is In mens i'm a 6.0 in women's i'm a 7.0. Basically when I stand on my skates it feels like my ankles are singing towards my inside edge and my toes sort of grip on the boot.
That is called ankle skating and it's usually from strength and ability. before you buy anything else try tying your skates tighter. I'm looking for a web page that has a better way to get the top of your skate tight. (If anyone can remember that blogers site Post it here)

I know 30 year old men who ankle skate and try to play hockey so it can be done. spend money on instruction before you start changing your skates and changing foot beds. You did say the skates are comfortable. It's hard to hear that the issue might be you and you can't fix it with equipment. If you really want to play hockey you will as much Ice time as you can and a skating instructor.
As for sharp If I was you I would start with 1/2 in.
You are in FL?

Last edited by adaminnj: 12-25-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old
12-25-2011, 10:50 PM
DelZottoLover

Exercises wearing skates at home

Are there any good exercises to practice at home on your carpet with your skates on? Yeah that might seem silly I know. But can't it be helpful for good balance?

Old
12-25-2011, 11:59 PM
ArrogantOwl

You gain balance with a good athletic stance and posture. You can, but you'll feel really dumb if you break something on your skates off the ice.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:40 AM
DelZottoLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
That is called ankle skating and it's usually from strength and ability. before you buy anything else try tying your skates tighter. I'm looking for a web page that has a better way to get the top of your skate tight. (If anyone can remember that blogers site Post it here)

I know 30 year old men who ankle skate and try to play hockey so it can be done. spend money on instruction before you start changing your skates and changing foot beds. You did say the skates are comfortable. It's hard to hear that the issue might be you and you can't fix it with equipment. If you really want to play hockey you will as much Ice time as you can and a skating instructor.
As for sharp If I was you I would start with 1/2 in.
You are in FL?
I have wax laces that stay tight it just seems the top of my skate is a little wide and if I do try to tighten that up as well, it still comes undone. Just the top portion though. I also baked these skates about a week ago that's why they're more comfortable for me. I just don't feel stable on my ankle part. I am actually looking into classes the only thing is, the ice rinks from me are all about 2 hours away which sucks. Yes i'm in FL. I want to be on a women's league once I progress. Are more hollow blades better for people who aren't that heavy?

Old
12-26-2011, 01:05 AM
newfr4u

balance is improved with strength. do your strength exercises off the ice, and wear skates on the ice.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
My first piece of advice would be to try on every make and model of skate you can get your hands on at a store before buying. Women's feet are built differently than men's feet, typically with much narrower heels and low ankles but a wider (and lower) calf. You want to walk around in the skates in the store if possible to see if they give you enough support in the top. My guess is that you're wearing a model that's relatively straight back to front rather than tapering in at the heel like most women need.

Tight lacing, especially as a beginner, can also help. As your ankles and legs get stronger, you should be able to loosen the top, but a stop gap is to lace the final 2-3 eyelets as tight as you can without cutting off circulation. If the boot is cheap or it's way too big in the heel, this won't fix everything, but if it's all about ankle strength, it will give you a good starting point. Ankles should have room once you know what you're doing, but when you're just starting, you don't have the muscle memory or strength to do the super loose thing.

It took me forever to find skates (I have the opposite problem from you - I have wide front feet but a narrow heel - I measured a 5.5 EE in some brands but wear a 6D in others while wearing a 8.5/9 regular width women's shoe), but it made a huge difference to things like stopping. I highly, highly advocate making use of a good local skate shop because there's really no other way to find out what works for your foot.

ETA: The other thing I do is retighten my top 2-3 laces on each skate after taking 1-2 laps around my end in warm ups. Lacing them while sitting is a good start, but your foot will shift a little in the boot through walking, standing and skating, and I can usually get it tighter without cutting off circulation once I've moved around in it a bit. Wax laces shouldn't come loose if you tie them well enough, so I suspect your feet are shifting once you get up and they weren't as tight as you meant them to be.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:45 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

watch this vid about tying skates. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp5J_KR1348

Old
12-26-2011, 04:40 AM
SCritical

I'm also a beginner female player. I found that abs and back strength exercises helped my skating, as well as the back pain, if thats a problem for you. Also doing wall sits can improve your leg strenth and balance, as well as get you used to bending your knees. A roller hockey playing friend told me to practice balancing on the outside of each foot for as long as I can. Don't know if it's helpful, but I do it anyway

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:36 AM
SCritical

A couple of questions...how long have you been skating? Have you taken lessons? Because if you're just starting out all you will be able to do is skate in a straight line no matter what skates you have!

The most important thing for you I think is to get fitted properly, I think. I believe you said in another thread your nearest rink was along way away but it might be worth making the trip to visit their proshop. You would know skates cost alot of money, so you want to be completely sure that they are right for you and that you can get alot out of them!

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

A Graf 703 sounds like a great fit for you. But make sure they are tied up properly. If the feet are literally twisting or moving inside the skate when laced up, nothing will help until you get new skates.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Gibson19

What you could do instead of wearing skates indoors is grab two 2x4's about 2.5 to 3 feet long. Cross them so they make a plus sign. Then stand on the one on top.

It will help your balance and you can practice stick handling while you do it too.

Gibson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:45 PM
beth

I'm in between a 7-7.5 in women's shoes, and my skates are Eastons in 4EE. If that helps. What's your women's shoe size? EDIT: Oh, I just saw that you said you are a 7. Then you should definitely be in size 4 rather than 4.5.

Do you have a lace tightener to help you get your skates tight? That might be helpful until you get used to tying them. A lot of it though, is that you just need to build up your ankle-strength as you learn. It will come with practice.

The bonus part about having women's size feet is that skates are a lot cheaper in the junior sizes!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:47 PM
forbs02
Blergh

I wear a 7.5 in women's shoes, and a 3.5 in skates. Where are your toes in relation to the end of the boot? They should be lightly brushing the end.

Eastons also tend to run on the wide side, you should consider looking into the vapor line in Bauer. If you are finding you still have too much room around the ankle, consider getting some bunga pads to fill in the empty space. They are a padded sleeve that you put on that is good for helping with lace bite, but if turned sideways can add some volume to your ankle.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You can't say for sure if you're 1, 1.5, 2, or whatever sizes down from your street shoe. It depends on the shoe, the skate, and the foot.

For instance, I have a pair of workout shoes that are size 8. Just bought them last month. Just bought a pair of dress shoes for work that are size 9.5. I have shoes anywhere from 8 to 10.

In skates, I wear a 7.5EE in Bauer but 8.0D in Graf. Grafs tend to be a bit smaller.

What you want to do is try on every brand in every size. You want them as snug as possible without causing pain. Just remember after you skate for about 5 minutes your feet will swell a bit. But you can always loosen up skates or get them stretched.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:03 PM
DelZottoLover

So i'm about to take pics and post them up here in a bit to show what my skates look like and how my foot fits in the bed. Thanks for everyone's advice I really appreciate it

Old
12-28-2011, 10:40 PM
rwr

dZL You should beable to buy superfeet online if you don't have a good skateshop. I actually found that they help my skating. Posters saying to try on a bunch of skates are right. I had RBK 9k skates and they felt ok so I bought them. After a yr they still hurt. So I went and tried on a bunch of great skates, bought the total ones and they felt great my first skate

rwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:21 PM
DelZottoLover

Hey guys so I went skating last night with a friend, and got my skates to a 1/2 in. I did great on them!!! Still need to practice stopping and turning though...i can only go forwards i'm still learning. Thanks for everyones advice!

I do have another question though, when I put my skates on I can't seem to feel the toe box. I know your feet are supposed to slide up and feather the toe box but my toes don't. Should I go a size below?

Old
12-31-2011, 09:44 PM
AIREAYE

When you skate, your foot naturally slide back so that you either barely touch the toebox or not at all. The feathering is if you're ina neutral standing/sitting position.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:01 AM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

my best advice here is to not pull a Paul Coffey and wear skates 3 sizes too small

Dr Van Nostrand is offline   Reply With Quote