HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So, At What Point Is It Ok To Start Believing We Can Compete For The Cup This Year?

Old
12-25-2011, 08:00 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Bruins will beat the Rangers into a bloody pupil. They are big, mean, skilled, nasty and dirty. The perfect blend for the playoffs. Get a ryan Clowe or a david Backes or a chris Stewart and it will help..but none of those guys are going to be available.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:03 PM
darko

What sucks is that there is a good chance Pens, Flyers and Rangers end up with #1, #4 and #5 seeds unless 1 team really drops off. It'd suck not winning the division, finishing #4 or #5 and playing Philly/Pitt.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
What sucks is that there is a good chance Pens, Flyers and Rangers end up with #1, #4 and #5 seeds unless 1 team really drops off. It'd suck not winning the division, finishing #4 or #5 and playing Philly/Pitt.
To be the best, you gotta beat the best. Philly and Pitt aren't the best exactly, but they're the a part of the top teams in the East. I'd play anybody right now.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:14 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Bruins will beat the Rangers into a bloody pupil. They are big, mean, skilled, nasty and dirty. The perfect blend for the playoffs. Get a ryan Clowe or a david Backes or a chris Stewart and it will help..but none of those guys are going to be available.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

It's getting easy to tell which posters would prefer a team of enforcers.

Our team is one of the tougher in the league. Just because we watched Boston PUMMEL a soft Vancouver in the finals doesn't mean they're a team of 18 boulders and a brick wall between the net.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:30 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
The username Orr Nightmare didn't tip you off?

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:

Our team is one of the tougher in the league. Just because we watched Boston PUMMEL a soft Vancouver in the finals doesn't mean they're a team of 18 boulders and a brick wall between the net.
Right, me asking for Clowe, Backes or Stewart is asking for Goons. Rangers are very good and Richards has really added an element that was sorely missing...but we aren't on the Bruins level..I know that might be hard for some of you to understand

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Right, me asking for Clowe, Backes or Stewart is asking for Goons. Rangers are very good and Richards has really added an element that was sorely missing...but we aren't on the Bruins level..I know that might be hard for some of you to understand
I think you're slightly overrating the Bruins. They're the best right now, but they're not the greatest team ever assembled.

I would love Backes on this team.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:38 PM
NYR510

vCash: 1140
I'm withholding judgment on the Rangers' chances against the Bruins until I actually see them play one another. We had some good games against Boston last year IIRC, and they went on to win the cup. Our team is much improved this year, too.

NYR510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:

BTW, Dave Maloney, who might know a thing or two about hockey said once Rupp came back into the lineup that every one else on the team feels 3 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier.

Old
12-25-2011, 08:42 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

And yet it took 7 games to beat the team they "pummeled".

Giving that team too much respect. They're an opponent, an obstacle, nothing more. They're not the 1980's Islanders.

Old
12-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
And yet it took 7 games to beat the team they "pummeled".

Giving that team too much respect. They're an opponent, an obstacle, nothing more. They're not the 1980's Islanders.
The Canucks happened to be a very talented team...with 2 of the top ten players in the league...on talent alone they should have beaten the Bruins.

BTW the Bruins are something like 20-2 in their last 22 games.

Old
12-25-2011, 09:00 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
The Canucks happened to be a very talented team...with 2 of the top ten players in the league...on talent alone they should have beaten the Bruins.

And yet, they only have 1 more point than the Rangers.

The Bruins are a very good, very complete team...but they are vulnerable, don't believe they are not. Take their physicality and shove it right back at them, because the Rangers are a more purely talented team than the Bruins. They're not as big, but they mix physicality and skill just as well, if not better than the Bruins. I'd also tale a healthy Rangers defense over a healthy Boston defense with ease, the Bruins have only 1 legitimate top-pairing defenseman (albeit, quite possibly the best shutdown player in the league, but no one special beyond that, really). The Rangers look to have 3, with another one showing that potential in Del Zotto. Boston has a very balance offense...but they don't have that legitimate gamebreaker. Seguin looks to be becoming one, but he is only 20, and isn't on Richards or Gaborik's level as of now.

Add another 50 point forward to the lineup, and I'd rather the current Rangers than Boston as of now. I am not nearly as enamored with the Bruins as everyone else is. The 07-08 Ottawa Senators had a stretch where they won 15 out of 17. They collapsed. I don't believe the Bruins will collapse, but they'll fall off this wagon eventually.

Do I want to face them in a playoff series? No, they would be by far the hardest test this team has faced in years...but do I think a win against them in 7 games is impossible? Not in the slightest.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard

Last edited by JeffMangum: 12-25-2011 at 09:11 PM.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:17 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
And yet, they only have 1 more point than the Rangers.

The Bruins are a very good, very complete team...but they are vulnerable, don't believe they are not. Take their physicality and shove it right back at them, because the Rangers are a more purely talented team than the Bruins. They're not as big, but they mix physicality and skill just as well, if not better than the Bruins. I'd also tale a healthy Rangers defense over a healthy Boston defense with ease, the Bruins have only 1 legitimate top-pairing defenseman (albeit, quite possibly the best shutdown player in the league, but no one special beyond that, really). The Rangers look to have 3, with another one showing that potential in Del Zotto. Boston has a very balance offense...but they don't have that legitimate gamebreaker. Seguin looks to be becoming one, but he is only 20, and isn't on Richards or Gaborik's level as of now.

Add another 50 point forward to the lineup, and I'd rather the current Rangers than Boston as of now. I am not nearly as enamored with the Bruins as everyone else is. The 07-08 Ottawa Senators had a stretch where they won 15 out of 17. They collapsed. I don't believe the Bruins will collapse, but they'll fall off this wagon eventually.

Do I want to face them in a playoff series? No, they would be by far the hardest test this team has faced in years...but do I think a win against them in 7 games is impossible? Not in the slightest.
Didn't you know, the Bruins are going to go 49-0 the rest of the way...decimating all in their path, and then sweep their way to the Cup.

All shall bow to the greatness of the Bruins and their otherworldly imposing ways.

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

Old
12-25-2011, 09:19 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Didn't you know, the Bruins are going to go 49-0 the rest of the way...decimating all in their path, and then sweep their way to the Cup.

All shall bow to the greatness of the Bruins and their otherworldly imposing ways.

I'd rather play a combination of the 50s Canadiens, '82 Islanders, and the '93 Penguins.

We all know the Bruins was just destroy them.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:

And then sweep the entire playoffs and shut out every team and then not lose next year or ever again.

Old
12-25-2011, 09:25 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

And if the finals were officiated the way the rest of the season, or even the playoffs, had been, than they would have beaten them on talent alone. Better yet, the Bruins and all of their toughness would never have even made the Finals, IMO, if Crosby was healthy.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Don't look now, but we could be #1 in the East 24 hours from now.

Old
12-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
Quote:
Don't look now, but we could be #1 in the East 24 hours from now.
It will also be the first time since the 1993-94 season that we had three five-game winning streaks in the same season (excluding the playoffs).

12-25-2011, 09:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
It will also be the first time since the 1993-94 season that we had three five-game winning streaks in the same season (excluding the playoffs).
I can't read the tone in your post.

Is this supposed to somehow discredit what this team is accomplishing?

It is a significant accomplishment, though.

Old
12-25-2011, 10:04 PM
district9

the positive thing about this team is that they're first in the division at christmas with a huge amount of important injuries. it would be one thing if the team was healthy and doing this well, we'd all be laughing at the thought they could ever compete for a cup, but looking at the way the team is playing it's definitely not impossible.

boston is still definitely the favorites in the east. they look unbeatable in a series right now. however, i think the rangers, flyers, and pens are right behind them.

the team's defense has been insane, and will only continue to get better. if staal returns and can play healthy without recurring concussion symptoms, we get back sauer and eminger, i think the team will have probably the best defense in the nhl. the offense has been pretty good even with a slumping dubinsky. gaborik is having the bounce-back year we all hoped for. callahan is proving that he deserves his recognition.

i think a healthy 2011-2012 new york rangers team is absolutely 100% cup contenders. we can't get too far ahead of ourselves on staal or sauer though, and there's no way to predict who may go down in the future. this team WILL make the playoffs, so let's see what the active roster looks like going into the playoffs. then we can decide.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:07 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Beat New York to a bloody pulp (I'm assuming that's what you meant)? When did the Rangers turn into the Canadiens? The Rangers, particularly Lundqvist, have been excellent against the Bruins for years now, including their cup winning year. The Bruins are a great team, but let's not make it seem like the Rangers all of a sudden don't stand a chance.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:21 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Serious question. This team has proven a lot to us this year so far haven't they. They've exceeded our expectations and battled diversity like true warriors. Yes as a Rangers fan, there's always that cynicism of feeling like the slippery slope is only a footstep away.

Thing is, we just beat the 3 hardest teams for us to play against (regardless of standings) including a decisive win over Philly after playing the night before and 3 in 4 nights. We won all 3. I'm still giddy. But it took guts like you wouldn't believe.

But the biggest reason I'm beginning to believe we can make a serious run at the cup is because NOTHING seems to faze our rookies. These three games, and last night inparticular, were huge tests for our young guys. It kept being repeated last night that it felt like a playoff game. I think that falls short. It felt more like a game friggin 7. Yet our rookies and youth didn't falter a bit and made some amazing plays under pressure. They proved a lot to me last night.

But Jan 2nd is going to be the biggest test I've seen us have since we let Jersey come back in the 94 playoffs. The pressure, the need to win, the battle level, will be at all time highs at the winter classic. In my opinion, if we can play them in their turf as hard as we have the two games at home; if we can win that game; if our rookies and youth can handle that all like pros; then I think THAT will be the signal, the time, for us to really, truly believe that we can compete for the cup this year.

I'm falling in love with this team. I can't remember the last time we had this much depth, consistency, and LEADERSHIP.

Happy holidays to everyone, and may you all be safe and find good cheer. Eat some ham, some turkey but leave some room; for Monday night we all will be eating fishsticks :-)
Back in September, I suggested that if everything fell into place this year, we could be a Cup contender. Aside from a few well wishers here, there was a lot of skepticism.

I know that I am often the voice of optimism around here but let's take a look at this franchise. We have rebuilt with homegrown players. We have traded for top draft choices from other organizations. We have seen incredible growth from our players, some of it anticpated and some of it completely unexpected. And when we had skill gaps, management has made prudent free agent acquitioions to filll gaps.

And despite some things going very badly this year (Dubinsky 2-4-33, Staal, Sauer) this is a very good team and one that will only get better and better.

The truth is that last year any of 6 or 7 teams could have won the Cup. The Bruins were a bad bounce away from being eliminated in the first round. If the Rangers played the Bruins in the first round last year. most here were anticipating we could beat them. The facts are that with the balance in the league today if you are an elite level team (we are) have an elite goaltender (we do) and get on a roll, you can win the Stanley Cup. This year.

Boys and Girls, it doesn't get much better than this. These are our guys, we've watched many of them since the day they were drafted. The bust their ass the way we always wanted. And they are damn good. What more can you want? Sather talked about getting a good young group together and letting them grow together. This is how it's done by the book. Perhaps the best part is that thanks to prudent salary cap management, this group should be able to stay together for many years.

The short answer is yes, we can compete for the Cup this year. And for many years to come.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I'd rather play a combination of the 50s Canadiens, '82 Islanders, and the '93 Penguins.

We all know the Bruins was just destroy them.
You mean the 1982 Islanders who had, Potvin, Bob Bourne, Gillies, Brent & Duane Sutter, Nystrom, Dave Langevin, Gord Lane and for good measure Billy Smith...do you mean that Islander team that blended the skill of Bossy and Trottier, who was not afraid of the rough stuff.

I believe you mean the 91-92 Pens, the the Habs won it in 92-93, that Pens team had, Stevens, Tochet, Mark Recchi,Troy Loney, Ulf Samuelson, Grant Jennings, Jay Caufield, I wont include Lemieux and Jagr who were both tree trunks.

You reference 2 teams that could and would wear you out over a long series.

I am not looking to add a goon...I think we need to add a power forward and a dman with snarl...if Stu can maintain then he is the guy....imo that is what we need to compete with the Bruins or the Pens or the teams out west in a 7 games series.

We are not far off but not there just yet...

Old
12-26-2011, 12:44 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Beat New York to a bloody pulp (I'm assuming that's what you meant)? When did the Rangers turn into the Canadiens? The Rangers, particularly Lundqvist, have been excellent against the Bruins for years now, including their cup winning year. The Bruins are a great team, but let's not make it seem like the Rangers all of a sudden don't stand a chance.
With Hank we always have a chance...I think it would be greatly enchanced if we added a Clowe type.

The Bruins use a bullying tactic to get what they want...which is more space for their skilled guys...I know the Rangers wont back down but they wouldn't be able to sustain....Krieder and McIlrath are great pieces to help combat that in the near future...if I could some how replace Boyle or Feds spot with Clowe/Backes clone then I think we would compete much sooner rather than later.

When Gabby scored that goal and got whacked in the shoulder(mere inches from his face), I want that dman to know he can never do that again.