HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gm#35: Kings @ Sharks, 12/23/11, Post Game S/O LOSS thoughts & tidbits

Old
12-24-2011, 09:10 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Giroux only missed a few games and one of them was a 6-0 loss to Boston. Another was a SO loss to Colorado.
aight, ill trade that for Marc Staal. That doesn't really disprove my point. Good teams can lose their top players and still win. Take out Quick from our team and we're the Anaheim Ducks.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
aight, ill trade that for Marc Staal. That doesn't really disprove my point. Good teams can lose their top players and still win. Take out Quick from our team and we're the Anaheim Ducks.
Maybe Quick going down would give Bernier the chance to get in a groove and emerge as a legit #1? I'd take JB over 90% of the backups in the league so I don't really see Quick as being as vital as you're making him out to be.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
Actually, that wasnt kopitars blown coverage. If you watch the replay, Richardson came down low to cover coture which forced Kopi to cover the point. Richardson then lost his man resulting in a goal.

This is a example of how richie isnt a good defensive forward. Nor should he be on the top line.
You are right that he was correctly covering the point when I thought that he wasn't (because I didn't see a player on the point). However just before the shot the player on the point moved inside and Kopitar didn't see it. There is a very good replay later, showing view from (behind) goalie towards Couture and Kopitar. You can see that at the moment of shot Kopitar is covering nothing, there is nobody on the point.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:32 AM
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Maybe Quick going down would give Bernier the chance to get in a groove and emerge as a legit #1? I'd take JB over 90% of the backups in the league so I don't really see Quick as being as vital as you're making him out to be.
thats pure speculation, JB is still an unproven #1.. given the chance maybe he could emerge as a legit number 1, and maybe not, pure speculation.. quick is more vital than we all can make him out to be..

gtwyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:00 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
well, we're 2-4-0 w/o quick and 14-10-0-5 with him, while giving Bernier the favorable schedule. sample size is small, so i won't put that much weight into it, but those stats don't surprise me in the least bit.

And it's not that Bernier is playing bad, it's that he's playing human. Quick just happens to be single-handedly winning/getting us overtime games for us.

but if you still don't agree with me, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old
12-25-2011, 08:23 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

I know, it's too early for projections, yadda yadda - but I just updated my numbers, and wanted to share them with anyone who was interested.

The current pace of the Western teams has the Preds nabbing the 8th and final playoff spot with 94 points, so the Kings will likely need 95 to qualify. They currently have 37 points with 47 games left to play. Therefore, the Kings need 58 points in the final 47 games, or a record of 29-18 --- a winning percentage of .617 (current season pace is .529)

So, an 11-game winning streak followed by .500 hockey for the rest of the season would get that first-round matchup with Chicago for the Kings.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:30 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
I know, it's too early for projections, yadda yadda - but I just updated my numbers, and wanted to share them with anyone who was interested.

The current pace of the Western teams has the Preds nabbing the 8th and final playoff spot with 94 points, so the Kings will likely need 95 to qualify. They currently have 37 points with 47 games left to play. Therefore, the Kings need 58 points in the final 47 games, or a record of 29-18 --- a winning percentage of .617 (current season pace is .529)

So, an 11-game winning streak followed by .500 hockey for the rest of the season would get that first-round matchup with Chicago for the Kings.
I don't understand why those numbers are so grim. We're 3 points out of the 8th spot. Even if there were only 10 games left, I wouldn't be worried. Yet the record that everyone keeps projecting looks nearly impossible.

Old
12-25-2011, 10:03 PM
LaLaLand

Quote:
I agree with this. No shot against JQ but given the opportunity, I feel like JB would emerge as a #1 in this league.

LaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:15 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLand View Post
I agree with this. No shot against JQ but given the opportunity, I feel like JB would emerge as a #1 in this league.
Based on what?

He has had chances to shine and he has not, not saying that he can't, or won't ever, but why do people feel that Bernier would emerge as a #1, when he can't play up to it when he is thrown in there?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
I don't understand why those numbers are so grim. We're 3 points out of the 8th spot. Even if there were only 10 games left, I wouldn't be worried. Yet the record that everyone keeps projecting looks nearly impossible.
But the Kings are in 11th.

They have to pass 3 teams to make the 8th spot. The Kings must have a better record than 4 other teams the rest of the way, that is why it looks grim. It's not the number of points back, it is how many other teams are just as far back that you have to pass.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W...osAngeles.html

If the Kings can play up to their abilities, they should make the playoffs, but it will be fight all the way until the end of the season because of their poor start.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
But the Kings are in 11th.

They have to pass 3 teams to make the 8th spot. The Kings must have a better record than 4 other teams the rest of the way, that is why it looks grim. It's not the number of points back, it is how many other teams are just as far back that you have to pass.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W...osAngeles.html

If the Kings can play up to their abilities, they should make the playoffs, but it will be fight all the way until the end of the season because of their poor start.
Not that I disagree with you about how hard the task is, but even at the start of the season it doesn't look much better. When I saw that we need to have better record than 7 other WC teams, I never thought: "Oh well, that's easy." It's a tough league with hard salary cap, winning is not easy.

Old
12-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

on like the 20th december last year, the Kings were only about 3 games above .500 werent they? and ended up making the playoffs with 2 games to spare, and i think the west was tougher last year, not worried

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:43 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I have to laugh at some of you guys for being concerned about being 3 pts out of the playoffs with ONLY 47 more games to play.

Yeeesh, give it a rest already.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:54 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Three points behind with less than half the season played projects to seven points out at the end of the season, is why -- and that's assuming the Kings play slightly better than .500 hockey in the first place (only three teams are below .500 in the West, because of the gimmie points). So, if playing above .500 leaves you seven points out, you have to play that much MORE above .500 to catch up. That's why the projections are of concern. Not impossible, but a steep hill to climb.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Three points behind with less than half the season played projects to seven points out at the end of the season, is why -- and that's assuming the Kings play slightly better than .500 hockey in the first place (only three teams are below .500 in the West, because of the gimmie points). So, if playing above .500 leaves you seven points out, you have to play that much MORE above .500 to catch up. That's why the projections are of concern. Not impossible, but a steep hill to climb.
Is this a sarcastic post or you are serious? I don't want to reply to this and look like someone who doesn't understand the joke.

Old
12-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Based on what?

He has had chances to shine and he has not, not saying that he can't, or won't ever, but why do people feel that Bernier would emerge as a #1, when he can't play up to it when he is thrown in there?
SJ, you know that younger goalies need more work that they need more than a couple of games in a row to get into a groove. That's really what separates them from experienced goalies. Bernier has shown flashes but it will take a good 15 or 20 game stretch to really see what he can do. He might not get that with the Kings.

He could surprise us. He has a very calm presence considering how young he is. Calmness in a good goalie can completely change a teams attitude on the ice.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Calmness in a good goalie can completely change a teams attitude on the ice.
I was thinking about some really good goalies and I got an impression that among great goalies most of them were/are not very calm. Not saying anything about Bernier, just that calmness (visual) is probably not a very important factor.

Old
12-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Duc620

Well, maybe I should say "confidence". Billy Smith never gave me the impression he was beat - even after being scored upon in a vital situation. Roy was the same. Both seemed, to me at least, to be calm in the storm. They never got "frantic". Luongo gets frantic at times. And his team suffers from that.

OTOH, Tim Thomas built his career on frantic. So what the hell do I know

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:23 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
SJ, you know that younger goalies need more work that they need more than a couple of games in a row to get into a groove. That's really what separates them from experienced goalies. Bernier has shown flashes but it will take a good 15 or 20 game stretch to really see what he can do. He might not get that with the Kings.

He could surprise us. He has a very calm presence considering how young he is. Calmness in a good goalie can completely change a teams attitude on the ice.
He has shown flashes, absolutely, He needs to put that all together into one game before you start talking about a string of games,

It's all a process, he has the tools, I understand that, it's his mental makeup that I am not sure is there...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
on like the 20th december last year, the Kings were only about 3 games above .500 werent they? and ended up making the playoffs with 2 games to spare, and i think the west was tougher last year, not worried
Kings were 18-12-1 on December 20th, 2010 and they were +15 in goal differential.

Kings were 15-14-4 on December 20th, 2011 and are -9 on the goal differential.

On December 26th, 2010, the Kings were 21-12-1, 4th in the conference. Now they are 16-14-5 and tied for 11th. It's easy to see why they made he playoffs last year and it is a huge climb right now.

I don't think anyone is throwing in the towel at this point, but it isn't as easy as some are making it out to be. 3 points isn't the benchmark, it is being tied for 11th.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote