HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Wow, just went to the cornerstore and saw the JdM. What a rag. Quebecor is really trying to milk the situation the best it can.

Old
12-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
That would be nice but I don't see Roy getting along with Pierre Mcguire at all.
this...

if McGuire were to take over, don't be surprised to see RC stay in place a bit longer despite the backlash... McGuire is really high on him as a coach, and unless this awful start continues and RC proves inept as a Head Coach, I could see PM come in and do what PG couldn't... deflect the negative attention away from the anglo coach.

otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised to see a "left field" type candidate get chosen by McGuire as HC. Don't see him going with a guy like Hartley, and PM is likely too saavy to step into a situation with a huge personality & cult status like Roy as his first head coach.

Old
12-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Only in Quebec would people be willing to accept an absolute traitor to the team he spat upon as a coach. Un-freaking-believable! Roy? If his name had been Smith or Valek people in Montreal would boo him every time his name was spoken in hushed whispers. Roy? Hey, let's hire the guy who gave all of his fans, french, english, and otherwise, a great big FINGER (both literally and figuratively), threw a huge hissy fit because he was told to play the game he gets millions of dollars to play, all because he didn't want his personal stats to be negatively impacted by being part of a huge blow-out. He also tells the owner on public television he quits and demands a very public trade in order to handcuff the organization so that his trade value is as low as humanly possible, causing as much damage to the organization as he possibly can. Then, after supposedly maturing, he coaches his own sons to be pieces of trash who go out and assault other unsuspecting players for no good reason.

Really? People want this piece of trash coaching the most storied organization in all of Hockey? Wow, I guess being french as a coach in Quebec is more important than being principled, having integrity, and basic human decency. I hope Roy never, EVER, coaches the team he spat upon. Hiring him would be desperate and political. Did I mention disgusting, repugnant, and absolutely WRONG??

Please, let the Molson's hire ANY other human on the planet before Roy.
So you are the one talking about a french guy being so important so that people act differently because of it, yet, I can tell you that and your post says A LOT about this board double standards. If that kind of post would have been written towards an anglo, you would have been bashed like there's no tomorrow.

Pretty strange what's going on around here. You have so many french media bashers about their position, yet, some people are just doing the exact same thing but against francos. How's that any better? And stop with the best man available no matter the language. That's crap. 'Cause while you say that, if you are honest, you'd say that there's NOBODY right now that are bilingual that would do the job. And before you say it's the same thing for me, note that I started the Jim Benning campaign for GM. Would be fun to know your ideas for the "best man available" fans so I can understand the explanation as to why there's no franco people on that list....

I'm really stunned that such hatred are directed towards Roy. A proven winner. A guy who has so much ego that he decided to ride the bus for 8 years now. A guy that will be respected by all.

But then, who the **** cares if he fails? Are people in here absolutely sure that their candidates won't fail? Really? Great joke! If he fails, will rinse and repeat and move on. Just like we've been doing for 18 years. Besides, at first he will have to deal with the lineup he has. Remember? Some in here saying that Cunneyworth lack of success is directly related as to how that team sucked and how Martin was a god.

Old
12-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Evil Ted

Pierre Mcguire is probably my bilingual choice. I think its important its someone who works as hard as he does and has a lot of energy he also has ties and understand the media and how it works which I think is important. I would rather have him GM and then Roy as coach just my opinion of course it will be exciting when this seasons over to see what directions this team goes!!!

Old
12-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Bloumeister
Live And Let Dye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Wow, just went to the cornerstore and saw the JdM. What a rag. Quebecor is really trying to milk the situation the best it can.
I saw the front page too. Anyone read the Hartley column "J'ai dit NON au Canadien"? Curious.

Old
12-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

As much as it will be fun to see Roy trying his magic in the pros, it could also be great to see McGuire doing the same.

Now.....if he doesn't want any problems with the medias, he'll have to explain his position on Michel Therrien. I believe that mcGuire was way too harsh in his way of analysing Therrien's work. I'm not saying Therrien was perfect neither am I saying that Therrien was even fine. But the way McGuire talked about him, he was borderline mocking him in a lot of occasions. And that's why french medias and mostly RDS hate him.

If McGuire is smart, he'll address it. And frankly, he should have addressed it before.

Old
12-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
I saw the front page too. Anyone read the Hartley column "J'ai dit NON au Canadien"? Curious.
yes i did.

he said not to the habs offer in like 97.

at the time he was coaching in the playoffs for hersey bears, and they were in conf finals..he said no because he did not want to abandon his team in their playoff drive which is entirely respectable. they went on to win calder cup and then he became coach in colorado 2 years later and went on to win the cup so good for him.

habs went with Vignault instead...

and yes JDM is a rag milking this media bonanza

Old
12-25-2011, 06:14 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Well Roy has the kohonees to take the reins and bring the Habs back to a team that can not only play firewagon hockey but bring the players that make the team a winner.It seems that Patrick has earned the right by being a winner in each undertaking he has in hockey since he goaltended for Granby Bisons before the Habs selected him then thrust him into the first string goalie job that spring in 1986 when the Habs won the Stanley Cup and he was MVP.I would much rather have a coach with the passion to fire up his players to feats that every pundit thinks impossible! Go Patrick Go!

Old
12-25-2011, 06:44 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Like in 1986 with Savard-Perron

and in 1993

with Savard-Demers...

1. I have no probs with a french coach or GM. Just not the two you cite:
2. Perron was useless apparently, Robinson ad Gainey coached the team in the playoffs.
3. I love Demers, but you think an illiterate could coach now in the NHL?

Your estimation of both guys is too high. They both had great great players and teams, and lucked out.

Old
12-25-2011, 07:09 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Why? because you would not have it your way? Nothing wrong with Roy and Groulx as coaches and Bergevin or Brisebois (or even Roy for that matter) as GM......

One who does not understand the market he operates in is usually doomed to fail......that's the abc's of business!!!
How do YOU know there's nothing wrong with these guys? Tell me.

Me? I have no suggestions because the two positions are the most difficult positions in professional hockey.

But yeah, YOU know they're fine. YOU know they'll be GREAT. It's all baout waht YOU know.

You know what? You don't know anything, nor do I. You know nothing. Your confidence is absurd.

When I express expert opinions, I do so only in my profession. In everything else, I do not presume to know. Maybe you should do the same.

Muppet.

Old
12-25-2011, 07:19 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Only in Quebec would people be willing to accept an absolute traitor to the team he spat upon as a coach. Un-freaking-believable! Roy? If his name had been Smith or Valek people in Montreal would boo him every time his name was spoken in hushed whispers. Roy? Hey, let's hire the guy who gave all of his fans, french, english, and otherwise, a great big FINGER (both literally and figuratively), threw a huge hissy fit because he was told to play the game he gets millions of dollars to play, all because he didn't want his personal stats to be negatively impacted by being part of a huge blow-out. He also tells the owner on public television he quits and demands a very public trade in order to handcuff the organization so that his trade value is as low as humanly possible, causing as much damage to the organization as he possibly can. Then, after supposedly maturing, he coaches his own sons to be pieces of trash who go out and assault other unsuspecting players for no good reason.

Really? People want this piece of trash coaching the most storied organization in all of Hockey? Wow, I guess being french as a coach in Quebec is more important than being principled, having integrity, and basic human decency. I hope Roy never, EVER, coaches the team he spat upon. Hiring him would be desperate and political. Did I mention disgusting, repugnant, and absolutely WRONG??

Please, let the Molson's hire ANY other human on the planet before Roy.
I agree entirely. Find a great french coach and even GM if we can, but Roy? He can fack off very much. Good goalie though.

Old
12-25-2011, 07:21 AM
ymorin007*

Send a message via MSN to ymorin007*
We could hire Jacques Mercier

Old
12-25-2011, 07:27 AM
bsl

Quote:
Wow, Most of us in Quebec were happy that Roy stood up to Tremblay who figured as the coach he was now Napoleon and displayed a utter lack of respect to his players and his seasoned winning goalie in a game by letting him getting shelled 9 goals before pulling him......everyone wanted Tremblay's head.....perhaps you were visiting another continent that week ensuing that ill-fated game?

Clearly you missed what was said by all Quebecers at the time......still to this date, Tremblay is still pointed the finger at and Roy is adulated....Roy spoke his mind about a terrible management (Houle/Tremblay) and he was RIGHT....period....All Quebecers agreed with that....guess you were not watching the same game and did not read the same papers (independently of the language)

Roy was also the reason we won the cup in 86 and 93....call him trash if you must, but you are a small minority to think like that.....
I understand what you are saying. No one here would ever say anything other than that Roy was possibly our greatest goalie ever. I love Patrick our goalie and always will.

But he walked out on the MONTREAL CANADIENS. Richard never did, Beliveau never did, not one of our great french players ever walked out on the team, and they had some pretty bad coaches and years too. Not many, but some.

Roy walked out on the HABS. He sh-it on the Habs. End of story. Don't want him near this team.

Old
12-25-2011, 07:31 AM
bsl

Quote:
Perhaps not. There is a tradition in hockey that when an administrator can get a better job elsewhere, he is let to take that opportunity......(I think its a way for the NHL to avoid any anti-trust or monopoly complaints). You usually see assistant coach let go to accept a coach position and assistant GM allowed to accept GM positions. This would not be a first....and would continue a long line of such situations happening...
Nill would be damn lucky to be GM of the most important hockey team in the world. People her underestimate how tempting this would be for any GM in hockey.

Old
12-25-2011, 07:40 AM
justsomeguy

Yet another list of Habs management candidates - As per Josh Freed

Figure if Henry Aubin can weigh in, anybody can.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...186/story.html

Old
12-25-2011, 07:40 AM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Pierre Mcguire is probably my bilingual choice. I think its important its someone who works as hard as he does and has a lot of energy he also has ties and understand the media and how it works which I think is important. I would rather have him GM and then Roy as coach just my opinion of course it will be exciting when this seasons over to see what directions this team goes!!!
Maye this is the real reason that Mcguire left TSN to go to the US. He could sort of be out of the spotlight here in Canada, knowing that his buddy Molson would come calling as soon as the Gauthier experiment was over. I would love this duo and it would certainly not ever be boring. Think francophone Rex Ryan and John Torterella. Do I think it work? Who cares, it would sure be entertaining and it would take all the focus off the players. I hope it happens.

Old
12-25-2011, 07:59 AM
psychonaut

That is the best one yet!!!!

Old
12-25-2011, 08:05 AM
JackieChan

Even though I'd prefer if all of the management was bilingual, I must say that was excellent!

Old
12-25-2011, 08:21 AM
nnynetpotato

Man,Bill Clinton would be up here in a minute.

How you ever get him outta the ballet,though...

Old
12-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Captain Saku

Quote:
There are assistant blue line coaches, goalie coaches, powerless play coaches, hooking coaches, boxing coaches, slap shot coaches and head shot coaches.

Old
12-25-2011, 09:26 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
This guy killed it lol

Old
12-25-2011, 12:24 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Awesome article!

''Finally, let me suggest a wild-card entry. New Korean dictator Kim Jong-un could face a hard time holding onto power with his dictator dad gone - so he may be open to outside world offers.''

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...#ixzz1hZXQ2ouw

But can he speak french ?

Old
12-25-2011, 05:53 PM
SB164

What are people's thoughts on Marc Bergevin, assistant GM of the Chicago Blackhawks?

Old
12-26-2011, 12:59 AM
tinyzombies

Carbonneau Power

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...guy-carbonneau

You know this is a discussion. How many coaches are we going to attack for putting bottom 6 players on the top 6 because of the GM? Carbo led the league in scoring, but lost because of lack of tuffness. What does that mean?

What do you think - honestly?

You have learned since you made your last mistake, no? I'm assuming Carbo has, assuming he DID make any big mistakes.

Even if we are stuck with a bunch of midgets and have to play defensive... CARBO WAS THE PREMIER SHUTDOWN CENTER OF HIS ERA --- AND HE WAS SMALL.... This is a smart hockey man.

I'm not happy about his comments when Therrien was coach. And now he's said it again. But to be honest, the man has delivered.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 12-26-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old
12-26-2011, 01:23 AM
Kriss E

Not sure if serious.

Closed Thread