HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Shakeup of roster looms as Rangers get healthier

Old
12-26-2011, 04:52 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Wojtek Wolski, sidelined since Oct. 27 with a sports hernia that required surgery on Nov. 7, should be ready to return to the lineup by the end of this week.

Marc Staal, sidelined all season dealing with the after-effects of the concussion he initially sustained last Feb. 22, could be cleared for contact this week and could make his 2011-12 debut within the next two weeks.

Michael Sauer, sidelined since Dec. 5 with post-concussion symptoms in the aftermath of the blow he took that night from Dion Phaneuf, seems to be improving though the Rangers have issued no updates concerning his health.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1hdWlTJz2

Larry Brooks wrote Tim Erixon will be sent down when/if Jeff Woywitka is healthy enough to play freeing up a roster spot for WW. Brooks wrote Slats could move Sean Avery who Brooks believes should have value because his boy Sean has proven he can still play when given a chance or they could move Erik Christensen. Avery and/or Christensen have value in a trade? Call Pierre Gauthier in Montreal.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:28 AM
MorrisWanchuk

who goes out the lineup for wolski?

Aves/Christ are barely worth a 7th rounder. waive them and i bet nobody picks them up.

Woy in for Erixon I'm ok with. the kid needs AHL time

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:41 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
who goes out the lineup for wolski?

Aves/Christ are barely worth a 7th rounder. waive them and i bet nobody picks them up.

Woy in for Erixon I'm ok with. the kid needs AHL time
The kid needs time. Im not convinced he needs AHL time. I'm more inclined to think he's very close and let him learn at the NHL level. Especially if the alternative is Woywitka who's typical hot potato game is a lot worse than any rookie mistakes Erixon could make. I understand Eminger or Stralman over Erixon up when everyone's healthy, but Woywitka is just bad news man. I think Redden is better, honestly.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:11 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
The kid needs time. Im not convinced he needs AHL time. I'm more inclined to think he's very close and let him learn at the NHL level. Especially if the alternative is Woywitka who's typical hot potato game is a lot worse than any rookie mistakes Erixon could make. I understand Eminger or Stralman over Erixon up when everyone's healthy, but Woywitka is just bad news man. I think Redden is better, honestly.
Of course Redden is better than Woywitka,but he is by far to expencive in compare to what he brings.
If he had a cap hit around 1 mill,he would have played in the NHL,no?

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:19 AM
cenas*

Quote:
I don't think its good for his development to play 8 minutes a night in the NHL. Its better for him to play 20 in AHL for a few more months or even this full year..

I don't think he deserves more time right now and Torts certainly does not..

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:20 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Playaff poosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Of course Redden is better than Woywitka,but he is by far to expencive in compare to what he brings.
If he had a cap hit around 1 mill,he would have played in the NHL,no?
Sadly no. The way Redden is playing for CT, he wouldn't be in competition for the 7th d-man even considering all our injuries. He's no better than, Woy, Strålman, Erixon, Bickel, Bell or Parlett. He's done as a hockey player on any lever above the AHL.

I hear he's great with the kids and that he played a part in mentoring McD, but as a hockey player he's just not that good anymore.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Vitto79

I hope Avery or Ec can get an ahl call up back or pick. We will know after the roster freeze. One is waived if not

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
The kid needs time. Im not convinced he needs AHL time. I'm more inclined to think he's very close and let him learn at the NHL level. Especially if the alternative is Woywitka who's typical hot potato game is a lot worse than any rookie mistakes Erixon could make.
Disagree on Woywitka. I can count (2) 'rookie' mistakes all season. Serviceable 3rd pairing guy who's done well with his 10 minutes. The roles that you're looking for he and Erixon to fill are not interchangeable.

As for Wolski, if you WANT to put him in the lineup without an injury, Hagelin could be the odd man out as the only waiver exempt forward. Not advocating it, just saying.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Vitto79

Yea hags is going no where. Ec or Avery decision yet again. Who sits is the tough decision

Old
12-26-2011, 08:05 AM
eco's bones

I expect Slats will work the phones to see if he can get anything back for Avery or EC but I wouldn't count on it. I am an Avery fan by the way but I don't see him replacing anyone currently in the lineup. This Rangers team has a mean vibe to it which kind of negates one of Sean's better assets.

Personally putting both of Avery and EC on waivers and sending both to the AHL (if no one claims them) is not necessarily a bad thing. It's like having two NHL capable players in the bank for later on--in case of injuries etc. Depth can be a very valuable thing--especially getting towards the playoffs.

As for Erixon--I think he's looked much better on this recall but I think he'd be better off-for now-getting more ice time with the Whale. If it were my decision though Bickel would be playing over Woywitka. I've been impressed with him and I think we could use his toughness.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:19 AM
DutchShamrock

Send Erixon down for proper ice time. I'm not sure who Wolski is better than in the lineup right now. I was all about Avery playing over EC but that's not the issue now. None of the three are better than anyone in the lineup up at this time. Waive Avery and EC if you can't get a return. Wolski is there to play over a struggling player, be it Boyle or Dubinsky for example.

The phrase "roster shakeup" is not something that should be associated with this team right now.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:29 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Even Jan Erixon feels Timmy needs some more time in the AHL. He made those comments to Al Trautwig last Thursday.

Does WW have 10-12 goals in his stick? The Rangers could use his offensive ability and big body. WW is playing for his supper. Slats is not QOing WW in late June but some team could give him a decent contract this summer IF he starts putting the pucks in the net.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:39 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Disagree on Woywitka. I can count (2) 'rookie' mistakes all season. Serviceable 3rd pairing guy who's done well with his 10 minutes. The roles that you're looking for he and Erixon to fill are not interchangeable.

As for Wolski, if you WANT to put him in the lineup without an injury, Hagelin could be the odd man out as the only waiver exempt forward. Not advocating it, just saying.
Its not even worth thinking about, because its not happening.

The kid is getting top six duties already. And his responsibility keeps growing. Getting more PK time.

Mitchell is also contributing.

Avery and/or Christensen are the dead weight on the roster.

Cut them out and add Wolski, who if he plays like he did before he reinjured himself, will be an extra shot of skill.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:54 AM
HankTheTankYoLo

Anisimov - Stepan - Gaborik
Wolski - Brad - Cally
Hagelin - Dubi - Fed
Prust - Boyle - Rupp

HankTheTankYoLo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Vitto79

The above is my lineup too tot torts will switch Boyle n feds

Old
12-26-2011, 10:17 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolundasweden View Post
Wolski - Brad - Cally
Hagelin - Dubi - Fed
Prust - Boyle - Rupp
Looks good to me.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:19 AM
OverTheCap

Erixon needs some more time in the AHL, he's made a few bad turnovers in his own zone.

So long as this team is winning, Wolski should not be rushed back into the lineup. And now that Dubinsky has been switched back to left wing, he looks his old self again. Putting him back at center just to get Wolski into the lineup may be counterproductive.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:20 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I don't want Dubi playing center.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:23 AM
HankTheTankYoLo

Quote:
Wolski - Brad - Cally
Hagelin - Dubi - Fed
Prust - Boyle - Rupp
That above is my line up, but this could work also:

Wolski - Brad - Cally
Hagelin - Boyle - Dubi
Prust - Rupp - Fed

HankTheTankYoLo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:26 AM
ruckus*

I'm not all that concerned about the forward situation.

Why does everyone care when Torts is only going to play the fourth line 5 minutes a night? It's not even worth discussing. Who cares who he puts out there. Rupp is worthless garbage but that doesn't matter because Torts wanted him here in the offseason and goes out of his way to talk him up even though he brings nothing to the table. Again, it doesn't really matter though because he'll still only play him 5 minutes a night.

The Wolski question is interesting but I do find it more than a little amusing seeing so many people since he's been injured just slotting him right into the 2LW spot as if he's going to make a difference. I understand that's the glaring hole in our lineup but haven't people watched Wolski since he's come here? Last season was a perfect example of what everyone should be expecting. Three or four games in a row of invisibility, then a game where he looks like he should be a top line wing. I'm not against giving him the opportunity but I do not expect anything from Wojtek. He does not fit the mold of this team or organization. We need talent, but we need it to work hard consistenly. Wolski is gone after the season anyways. Maybe he can find a way to contribute but I'm not getting my hopes up.

The defense is where things get interesting. I don't think there's any way you cant reinsert Eminger into the lineup when he's healthy but that's obviously a long way from now. Bickel has been solid, though in limited minutes. Erixon should go back down, IMO. I think Woywitka has been more than fine, not sure what people are looking for out of a bottom pair defenseman. Stralman is still a liability in his own zone but the Rangers have done a very good job covering up for him, and he doesn't seem to care that he's not very good defensively because it doesn't shake his confidence when he has the puck.

I'd still expect it to be more than two weeks before we see Staal and Sauer I wouldn't look to see until mid February at this point at the earliest.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:32 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Any Avery fans (myself included) who think Avery will be in the NHL with the Rangers when everyone is healthy is kidding themselves. It's the same decision as the beginning of the year and I suspect Avery to be waived very quickly after the roster freeze ends.

I also think that Tortorella continues his love for EC and keeps him around "for the shootout." What leads me to believe this is that every time EC was plugged into the lineup, even if he wasn't playing well, Torts showed confidence enough to give him good ES and PP time.

Maybe we'll see WW being moved instead?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
wow i wonder who we could get for Avery and EC? i heard Bobby Ryans available.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Orr Nightmare

Wolski is soft, lazy and not mentally strong enough to play Tort's brand of hockey.

He is a skilled guy but doesn't mean ****....I am sure Sather is working the phones.

If we could get a 5th rounder for him it would be wise to move him.

Anyone who says Rupp is garbage should ask Dave Maloney that question.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Vitto79

I. Doubt wolski can be moved with that contract and he's useless on a bottom six line which is why lw w the rr line makes sense. It's been e revolving door so why not

Old
12-26-2011, 10:51 AM
jniklast

Quote:
That above is my line up, but this could work also:

Wolski - Brad - Cally
Hagelin - Boyle - Dubi
Prust - Rupp - Fed
Can Rupp win faceoffs? I don't want my 4th line to continually chase the puck after facoffs. Other than that this looks good, I'd definitely give Wolski a chance to play with Richards and see how that works. Depending on the opponent I'd maybe dress Mitchell instead of Rupp and try this:

Wolski - Brad - Cally
Hagelin - Dubi - Mitchell
Prust - Boyle - Fed

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote