HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Any word on how bad Andy Mcdonald's Concusion is?

Old
12-24-2011, 08:52 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Sounds like a good chance he's back in late January. He will help the offense a lot.
I just wonder what line would they put him on. He could play with Perron and McDonald to make 2 solid consistent scoring lines or on a line with Stewart to try and get him going.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:00 PM
stlblues9

Just out of curiosity, what would the potential lines be when Mcdonald returns?

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:02 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

IMO the only guarantees are Steen-Backes-Oshie will stay together and Perron will stay on the 2nd line, after that the coaching staff will have some tough decisions to make.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 07:51 AM
execwrite

vCash: 500
When we get healthy and McDonald, Huskins, Sobotka and Crombeen return, sounds like Cole, Grachev, Porter and Reaves are headed back to Peoria.

Good depth.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:26 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
When we get healthy and McDonald, Huskins, Sobotka and Crombeen return, sounds like Cole, Grachev, Porter and Reaves are headed back to Peoria.

Good depth.
They would only need to send two forwards down, not three. They only have one non-injured forward in the pressbox, though Sobotka and Crombeen are imminent.

Of Grachev, Porter and Reaves, only Grachev is waiver-exempt so he's the easy first choice. Reaves signed his first contract when he was 20 and is 24 now (will be 25 by the time McDonald gets back) but it doesn't matter because he only had three waiver-eligible years.

Although they clearly value Porter, I think they would sooner risk Porter than Reaves. Of course, if any forward is hurt (or traded) by the time McDonald is back, it's not an issue. Frankly, I saw someone cite late January for a McDonald return and that would be quite surprising. I wouldn't be bummed but I'd be very surprised. He's a well-conditioned athlete but he's barely begun skating again and there's no rush. They're winning and they have this roster issue. Last game before the All-Star break is Jan 24th, four weeks and a day. There's no need to get him back before the All-Star break. I'd guess mid-Feb to mid-March, sometime in there. We don't even know how he's responding to the light workouts yet.

As for lines when Sobotka and Crombeen get back, because it sounds like they're very near, Grachev is sent down and they probably go:

Steen Backes Oshie/Stewart
Perron Berglund Oshie/Stewart
D'Ags/Sobotka Arnott Langenbrunner
Sobotka/D'Ags Nichol Crombeen
Porter, Reaves extra

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:40 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

When McDonald gets back, IF the whole roster were healthy and nobody'd been traded (two HUGE assumptions), some ideas:

McDonald Backes Stewart
Perron Berglund Oshie
Steen Arnott Sobotka/D'Ags
Sobotka/D'Ags Nichol Langenbrunner
Reaves, Crombeen extra
Porter sent down

Steen Backes Oshie
McDonald Berglund Perron
Sobotka Arnott Stewart
D'Ags Nichol Langenbrunner
[Nichol being the first guy sitting to get Reaves or Crombeen in with D'Ags or Sobotka shifting to center]

Old
12-25-2011, 05:02 PM
stlweir

When Healthy AMac has been an asset who adds skill and high end speed. He will make this very good team even better.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:20 PM
MU_Beerman

I appreciate Steen's versatility, but he has to be getting top 2 line ice time no matter what the combos are. The guy brings too much everything to be riding the pine.

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:57 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I'd be up for a 3rd line of Sobotka-Steen-Oshie. That's a tough line to play against and a dangerous scoring threat every shift.

It leaves a top 6 with some combination of:
Backes, Berglund, Perron, Stewart, McDonald and D'Agostini.

It also puts Arnott and Langenbrunner on the 4th line with Crombeen, Nichol or Porter. We might start seeing some of the older guys get nights off for rest and recuperation.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:56 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU_Beerman View Post
I appreciate Steen's versatility, but he has to be getting top 2 line ice time no matter what the combos are. The guy brings too much everything to be riding the pine.
If you keep them at LW, one of McDonald, Perron and Steen is going to be on a "third" line though I can't imagine all three wouldn't see significant ice time. Steen also would get special teams time. I wouldn't be worried about him not seeing the ice enough.