HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggest surprises to you so far this year?

Old
12-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
I disagree bigtime with the OP.

I'm very surprised that we DO have offense! Besides games where we are noticably crap, we have been scoring 3+ goals on a regular basis.

Last year we were winning 2-1 and 3-2 CONSTANTLY. This year it is so refreshing to see offensive production

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:26 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Mdz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:42 AM
bmw2004

MDZ
Hagelin
Girardi
and
Gaborik

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:46 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Good:
Del Zotto
Biron
Hagelin
Defense

Bad:
Dubinsky
Injuries

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:07 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Been pleasantly surprised with most of the team, especially our top end players, Gaborik, Richards, and Captain Cally who are all having all-star seasons. Stepan and Anisimov on pace for 60 points each is nice too.

Hagelin has been amazing thus far! He always reminded me of a Callahan without the scoring touch. When he was called up, I would've expected him to score 4 goals for the rest of the season, totally did not expect his offensive upside!

Defensively, Girardi, McDonagh and Del Zotto have been incredible for us. Eminger was fantastic up until his injury. Stralman looked slow and out of place at first, but now he looks great! He has been hitting and making beautiful passes on the PP. Very impressed.

The only downside so far has been lack of scoring from Boyle and Dubinsky, who wouldn't be able to hit water if they fell out of a boat. They have played great defensive hockey and have had great puck possesion and pressure in the offensive zone. Still not ruling out a strong finish for either of them though, as I BOLDLY predict Dubi to finish with 15 goals and 40 points. I think Boyle will have around 10 goals by season's end.

All in all, very solid this season only 8 regulation losses is impressive. Doing it without 2 of your best defenseman? That's insane! LGR!!!

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

The defense. Specifically the sustained excellence in the face of losing some key players and the youth stepping up big time!!!

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:14 PM
eco's bones

Stepan looks to me now like a (future) legit No. 1 center man. The guy he reminds me of most is Brad Richards.

Girardi is not so much a surprise. He stepped his game up last year when Staal was out for a few games--particularly in a big game against Washington where he shut down and frustrated the **** out of Ovechkin. He's just a smart, solid player. Logs a ton of minutes, plays a physical game and hardly ever takes a penalty. IMO Rangers fans should pay a lot more attention to that--so I'll say it again, tons of minutes, physical play, hardly ever puts his team down a man--so when they are down a man he's usually out there blocking shots, clearing pucks and not putting the Rangers in two man down situations. He's a guy you win games with.

Del Zotto is not only playing great defense but he's getting his offense back. He's become an all situations player.

McDonagh--I expected more of the rock solid defense he gave us last year--and maybe some improvement on that. We've got that improvement big time but he's also adding offense and lately he's been breaking up tons of plays in the neutral and turning them into quick strike opportunities for his team. He's not done improving.

Hagelin--I really love his speed--his ability to get to loose pucks. He's got good hands and defensive sense as well and I think putting him on the same line with Callahan could pay big dividends in the near future--two ferocious but skilled forechecking forwards working off of each other.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:36 PM
bourgeoisie
Je suis Charlie

I'm surprised by the standings.

bourgeoisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:46 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

Biggest surprise has to be our defense

Have to say I was a little skeptical about our lines going into the season. That skepticism quickly faded after watching Girardi turn into an elite player as well as MDZ's significant improvement. On top of that, I am particularly pleased with our ability to bounce back after injuries. Losing Staal, Sauer, and Eminger would normally make me want to cry but the fact that they can be replaced with ease reassures me of our depth and it definitely mitigates any loss we may endure. Once we get the guys back though, you hate to see anyone get sent down

You wanna see Dubi score some more points (and I still think he'll get hot soon), but the production of our top line has been sufficient. Gabby, Artie, and Stepan have all been playing very well, however I wouldn't consider any of them surprises since I had high expectations for each of them. I would love to see Stepan in blue for a long time.

All in all, the defense among other aspects has been surprisingly good and Dubinsky has been surprisingly bad. I like where we stand, and once our defense is completely healthy we can give any team a run for its money.

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:49 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

1. MDZ
2. Stepan
3. McD
4. Hagelin

12-25-2011, 12:57 PM
John Torturella

How exactly is this team bad offensively? In 20 of their games they are top 10 in the league in goals and goals per game.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:13 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
- How good defensively the team's been despite missing staal.
Really?!!?!?! Staal is one of 6 defenseman.he is not the heart of the team,nor is he the best defensively on the blue line,he is not the most physical either.

NYR has top end young talent.There is nothing shocking about there play on the blue line minus Staal..McD and Sauer were phenomenal last yar.Girardi always been solid,but everyone was busy blowing Staal so Girardi got little recognition.delzotto is good,he had a sophmore slump and thats not something un common..I still think delZotto will be a steady solid 50 point defenseman as he matures. Eminger another solid vet on the blue line.Very consistant.i am happy with him.

So can you really say you are shocked at how good the Defense is minus Staal... Team has showwed since day 1,that him being out means nothing.Now if callahan is out,that will hit home.That guys heart and soul of this team.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Jackson Ranger

MDZ
Hags
Girardi
Gaborik
McD

MDZ gets most improved this year. His play from last year to this year is night and day.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Silence Of The Plams
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Hagelin-Amazing call-up.
MDZ is playing really well.
Gaborik is back, leading the league.
Our Defense is spectacular despite losing Staal and Sauer for now.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Really?!!?!?! Staal is one of 6 defenseman.he is not the heart of the team,nor is he the best defensively on the blue line,he is not the most physical either.

NYR has top end young talent.There is nothing shocking about there play on the blue line minus Staal..McD and Sauer were phenomenal last yar.Girardi always been solid,but everyone was busy blowing Staal so Girardi got little recognition.delzotto is good,he had a sophmore slump and thats not something un common..I still think delZotto will be a steady solid 50 point defenseman as he matures. Eminger another solid vet on the blue line.Very consistant.i am happy with him.

So can you really say you are shocked at how good the Defense is minus Staal... Team has showwed since day 1,that him being out means nothing.Now if callahan is out,that will hit home.That guys heart and soul of this team.
You are doing a tremendous disservice to this team, in particular the defense when you downplay Staal's significance and talent.

The team as a whole has stepped up big time in the face of losing Staal (& others)... The coaches say it, the players say it and I have a hard time believing you over them.

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Fean

MDZ
GAS line
I know that Anisimov best defensive player to top lane but i think it was Anisimov - Richards - Gaborik

I hope Dubby improve his stats but he lead NHL in last season with 19 EN points (if my memory doesn't play with me) so his stats not surprise me

Fean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:41 AM
nyrfan1026

this thread needs more:

nyrfan1026 is offline   Reply With Quote