Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Outdoor rinks in the city

Old
12-26-2011, 10:28 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Well looks like Bronx Park CC will be down to one rink for the foreseeable future as ****-heads decided to burn down one of the players boxes (penalty box) last night.
(mod edit)

Last edited by Jet: 12-26-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Do not promote violence
sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:41 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Well looks like Bronx Park CC will be down to one rink for the foreseeable future as ****-heads decided to burn down one of the players boxes (penalty box) last night.
Unbelievable. Or, unfortunately, believable, as some people simply don't care, and will get their kicks any way they can. What a stupid thing to do.

Last edited by Jet: 12-26-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Qep
YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:43 AM
upperbowl

vCash: 500
This is the Bronx president. We will get plywood boards up as fast as we can. Replacement boxes will have to wait until spring. One of the nets was involved, too, unfortunately.

upperbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:16 PM
hypocrite*
hypocrite

Hi guys... my Dad wants to come skating too (not play hockey) but wants indoors because his toes have some issues with cold.

Anybody have any information or know where I get the info for indoor public skating? Even if we have to pay it's fine.

hypocrite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:44 PM
sipowicz
The Original

From the Winnipeg Sun: Bronx Park CC

Old
12-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section326 View Post
Hi guys... my Dad wants to come skating too (not play hockey) but wants indoors because his toes have some issues with cold.

Anybody have any information or know where I get the info for indoor public skating? Even if we have to pay it's fine.
Here's a schedule of the free public skating in pdf form.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/cms/recreatio...ic%20skate.pdf

12-26-2011, 07:48 PM
hypocrite*
hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Here's a schedule of the free public skating in pdf form.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/cms/recreatio...ic%20skate.pdf

Thank you!!

hypocrite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:25 PM
CPAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
From the Winnipeg Sun: Bronx Park CC

Wow i grew up near there and spent countless hours at Bronx. Sorry to hear about this. What a stupid wasteful thing to do.

CPAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Pokeys

That's ****** but don't they still have 2 other rinks?

I wonder if it was intentional or just some punk who left his smoke in there and it all caught fire. Slap some red paint on the posts and crossbar get some new netting and throw that puppy on the pleasure rink.

I used to enjoy going to Bronx as a teen, haven't been their since the city decided to redo everything a few years back.

Pokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:40 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeys View Post
That's ****** but don't they still have 2 other rinks?

I wonder if it was intentional or just some punk who left his smoke in there and it all caught fire. Slap some red paint on the posts and crossbar get some new netting and throw that puppy on the pleasure rink.

I used to enjoy going to Bronx as a teen, haven't been their since the city decided to redo everything a few years back.
Part of the redo from community club to senior centre/CC included the removal of one of the hockey rinks (seniors don't play hockey) so now there are only two hockey rinks (one now), that along with the elimination of rinks at Kelvin did a lot for area youth.

Last edited by sipowicz: 12-26-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old
12-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Prot

vCash: 100
I live a short walk away from there... it completely disgusts me. Wtf is wrong with people?

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:52 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I used to live less then a block away.
Skated there numerous times
Sorry to hear this.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:47 AM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Antropov was out at Tuxedo on Christmas Day, they've got decent ice right now considering the weather.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:59 AM
Inflict
Viking

A little off topic, but does anyone know of any places that provide ice skating lessons for adults? I used to know how to skate as a kid, but it's been 15 years and I am itching to learn again. My balance is okay considering it's been so long, but stopping, skating backwards and overall agility is lacking .

Edit: I guess I can call 311. Looks like they have a skate program for young adults: http://winnipeg.ca/cms/recreation/pd...teprograms.pdf

2nd edit: Turns out these places are on the far east side of town. Looking for areas more South or Central parts of the city.

Last edited by Inflict: 12-27-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section326 View Post

Southdale c.c. Has a small indoor pleasure rink, about the size of the neutral zone. Not huge but it's indoors and open from 9-9 daily.

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
A little off topic, but does anyone know of any places that provide ice skating lessons for adults? I used to know how to skate as a kid, but it's been 15 years and I am itching to learn again. My balance is okay considering it's been so long, but stopping, skating backwards and overall agility is lacking .

Edit: I guess I can call 311. Looks like they have a skate program for young adults: http://winnipeg.ca/cms/recreation/pd...teprograms.pdf

2nd edit: Turns out these places are on the far east side of town. Looking for areas more South or Central parts of the city.
Check Canlan, they run the old Highlander complex on Ellice near the airport. They have lessons including adult lessons, better teachers than the city too.

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:26 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
Antropov was out at Tuxedo on Christmas Day, they've got decent ice right now considering the weather.
I wish I did not read that. I live on Carmarthen Blvd, a 2 minute walk away and decided not to skate that day because I thought it would have been too warm.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:15 PM
upperbowl

Part of the redo from community club to senior centre/CC included the removal of one of the hockey rinks (seniors don't play hockey) so now there are only two hockey rinks (one now), that along with the elimination of rinks at Kelvin did a lot for area youth.

The redo at Bronx makes it a hundred times better in all ways. There was always two hockey rinks and a pleasure rink (same as now).Because the baseball diamond was eliminated the pleasure rink is bigger than ever. The two rinks at Kelvin are still there and were extensively renovated last summer. The city is allotting a big whack of money to Kelvin to revamp it and the two existing changehouses and are currently holding a series of meetings in the area to discuss what local folks want to see done there to make it even better. The ice resurfacer on the tractor at Kelvin was just replaced with a new one this December. Good things are happening here thanks to volunteers and the City of Winnipeg. Not one thing you wrote is correct. I think a negative rant is better placed elsewhere.

Old
12-27-2011, 11:25 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperbowl View Post

The redo at Bronx makes it a hundred times better in all ways. There was always two hockey rinks and a pleasure rink (same as now).Because the baseball diamond was eliminated the pleasure rink is bigger than ever. The two rinks at Kelvin are still there and were extensively renovated last summer. The city is allotting a big whack of money to Kelvin to revamp it and the two existing changehouses and are currently holding a series of meetings in the area to discuss what local folks want to see done there to make it even better. The ice resurfacer on the tractor at Kelvin was just replaced with a new one this December. Good things are happening here thanks to volunteers and the City of Winnipeg. Not one thing you wrote is correct. I think a negative rant is better placed elsewhere.

Good to hear the rinks at Kelvin are still there and good news that they received upgrades. Don't know if your memory is starting to go, you are wrong about Bronx though, there were three hockey rinks and an oval for pleasure skating, now there are two hockey rinks and a large pleasure rink.

Last edited by sipowicz: 12-28-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old
12-28-2011, 01:25 AM
upperbowl

Yup. You're right about the number of rinks. Two along Bronx. One near chelsea. One of the ones on Bronx was replaced by a big brand new gym. Point is, though, Bronx is better. Better rinks, facilities and more programs for all age groups in the area including the youth at all times of the year, not just winter. Felt like you were dissing Bronx and Kelvin when they've been improved and the neighbourhoods are benefitting. Couldn't let that sit out there.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:14 PM
suitup17

Any outdoor rinks open yet? Seems cold enough.

suitup17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitup17 View Post
Any outdoor rinks open yet? Seems cold enough.
I know riverview in south osborn should be open and i think West Broadway is or will be very shortly

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

I think most CC's are shooting for this weekend if they aren't already open.

11-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I know riverview in south osborn should be open and i think West Broadway is or will be very shortly
Confirmed that Riverview is open, lots of people there tonight. I just drove by a couple to check. A bit too far for me to walk so I'd have to go there when the girlfriend doesn't need her car. I feel like I'm 17 asking my parents if I can borrow the vehicle.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Confirmed that Riverview is open, lots of people there tonight. I just drove by a couple to check. A bit too far for me to walk so I'd have to go there when the girlfriend doesn't need her car. I feel like I'm 17 asking my parents if I can borrow the vehicle.
Same im in west k, not about to make the trip for a shinny. Hopefully the rinks round here open up pretty soon

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote