HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

JvR for Luke Schenn

Old
12-26-2011, 01:23 PM
BrownBeaut*

vCash: 500
JvR for Luke Schenn

Leafs fan here...wondering what it would take to get JvR to the Leafs?

I was thinking along the lines of

To Philly: Luke Schenn, Matthew Lombardi, 3rd round pick
To Toronto: JvR, Blaire Betts

BrownBeaut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:46 PM
JVR21
G

Nothing's going to work with Lombardi in the deal.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Cap space doesn't work out. I'm not entirely sure I do it for strictly hockey reasons either. Not a crazy idea though.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:50 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBeaut View Post
Leafs fan here...wondering what it would take to get JvR to the Leafs?

I was thinking along the lines of

To Philly: Luke Schenn, Matthew Lombardi, 3rd round pick
To Toronto: JvR, Blaire Betts
No thanks. We have Coburn long-term. There's no reason to get another Coburn.

JVR has higher potential as a forward than Schenn has as a defenseman AND JVR's not playing nearly as bad as some Flyers' fans perceive him to be playing this season (despite his recent stretch where he appears to be hurt).

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

vCash: 840
the idea is sound. One of the Flyer's many forwards, for a young defensemen. Not sure about Luke though.

However, it would be neat to have the Schenn brothers on the same team...maybe they could turn into the Sedin's

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:22 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Anyone else think, like with Simmonds, with these trade threads that he will somehow get out of his funk and start unloading some pucks in the net and become a force for us again?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:24 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Anyone else think, like with Simmonds, with these trade threads that he will somehow get out of his funk and start unloading some pucks in the net and become a force for us again?
He's going to be hot in spurts, just like Giroux was, until the day he becomes accustomed to the day in and out of NHL play.

I'm not concerned in the least honestly.

Old
12-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He's going to be hot in spurts, just like Giroux was, until the day he becomes accustomed to the day in and out of NHL play.

I'm not concerned in the least honestly.
Perhaps you're right, but he's never going to be as good as Claude will IMO. Not mean enough. I'd also like to see him add a dimension or two to his game. We know he's great in transition, I would like to see him do a little more to create when the play is already set up in the offensive zone. I'm speaking of course, about once he is healthy.

Old
12-26-2011, 02:34 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Perhaps you're right, but he's never going to be as good as Claude will IMO. Not mean enough. I'd also like to see him add a dimension or two to his game. We know he's great in transition, I would like to see him do a little more to create when the play is already set up in the offensive zone. I'm speaking of course, about once he is healthy.
Nobody is like Giroux...but remember that vision Giroux used to show off in flashes before he became the second coming of Peter Forsberg?

I see glimpses of JVR muscling his way to the net with the puck and forcing the puck past the goalie much like powerforwards of yesteryear. Playoffs last year was an eye opener as to the kind of player JVR can become in the league. Give him the opportunity to become that player before we throw him under the bus.

Old
12-26-2011, 03:05 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Nobody is like Giroux...but remember that vision Giroux used to show off in flashes before he became the second coming of Peter Forsberg?

I see glimpses of JVR muscling his way to the net with the puck and forcing the puck past the goalie much like powerforwards of yesteryear. Playoffs last year was an eye opener as to the kind of player JVR can become in the league. Give him the opportunity to become that player before we throw him under the bus.
Hes had opportunity this year and so far he hasnt done ****....

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:

I'm definitely not one of the JVR haters. I think he's been progressing slowly but surely before his injury situation this year, and if he never gets better than he is now, will still be a useful player in the NHL for a long time. Big, responsible forwards who can skate well, shoot well and have good enough hands to turn those other assets into 50 points don't grow on trees.

I am saying however, that I think if you look at last year you'll see most of his highlight plays were him leading the rush with the puck and going wide with speed, or otherwise creating transition opportunities with his speed. I would like to see him elevate the rest of his game to the level at which he rushes the puck. If he does that and gets a little meaner he'll be a fantastic player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Hes had opportunity this year and so far he hasnt done ****....
To be fair, health has been an issue, and his production for the time he gets is good, especially since he's not out there with the star players all the time. He's not having a bad year statistically, particularly if you look at what he was doing before he aggravated whatever his upper body injury is.

Old
12-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:

This is my view too... how Giroux appeared at times to be Forsberg-esque in those playoffs, JVR in the last 30 games of last year, and into the playoffs ofc, reminded me, and I imagine a lot of others, of a certain number 10 with those impressive drives to the net. When he is fully healthy and grown fully into his frame I can easily see him as a 40-40 guy, who can take over games. Still wish he played a bit more physical, but hopefully this year that is due to the abdominal problems.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:21 PM
ELab2

JVR isn't playing well but I think he's hurt, he also signed a long term deal and I think the Flyers cannot keep trading long contracts they just signed.

I'm also not enamored with Schenn's upside. IF you're going to trade JVR it's got to for someone with #1 potential and I don't see that with Schenn.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:24 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

We should trade JVR to the jackets for their 1st in this years draft plus if JVR doesnt get his **** together that is we then could get Nail Yakupov or Alex Galchenyuk even Mikhail Grigorenko would like to have one of them. And there is plenty of dmen in the draft that are good to.....

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:31 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
We should trade JVR to the jackets for their 1st in this years draft plus if JVR doesnt get his **** together that is we then could get Nail Yakupov or Alex Galchenyuk even Mikhail Grigorenko would like to have one of them. And there is plenty of dmen in the draft that are good to.....
This is the very definition of needlessly throwing JVR under the bus.

Old
12-26-2011, 03:59 PM
SgtJoseph

I feel that both Luke Shenn and JVR are under achievers at this point of their young careers....I think JVR has been playing hurt for quite awhile now and i would like to see JVR at 100% for about 25 games before i would entertain such a move....Luke Shenn is a little overrated in my opinion, and i do not see him as the player many say he is....Subban is another defensemen i do not see what all the fuss is about....Hopefully JVR can get 100% and perhaps prove that the JVR we saw during the playoffs was legit and not " chemically" enhanced ?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:17 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd be in to having the Schenn brothers. They definitely need to find a young defenseman if Pronger's injury ends his career.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
This is the very definition of needlessly throwing JVR under the bus.
He's only been a fan for 6 months bless him.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:55 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Galchenyuk? We could probably get him with our pick...

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:21 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Because obviously the Jackets would trade their almost guaranteed top-3 pick for JVR...

Get real. Nail Yakupov is probably the best prospect since Crosby. They're going to give up a chance to get him (or Grigorenko or any of the other numerous top-end talents in this draft) for JVR?!? I doubt it.

Plus a move like this (without a corresponding move to improve this year's team) would leave us seriously lacking the necessary pieces to go deep in the playoffs and would set the development of our team back a few years.

But hey, it's definitely a great idea!!!!

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:01 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
Galchenyuk? We could probably get him with our pick...
Galchenyuk won't be available w/ the last pick in the 1st round

Seriously though, he won't last past 15 IMO and I doubt we're picking that early.

Old
12-26-2011, 06:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Galchenyuk won't be available w/ the last pick in the 1st round

Seriously though, he won't last past 15 IMO and I doubt we're picking that early.
Ryan Murray, Morgan Rielly, Griffin Reinhart, Matt Dumba, Jacob Trouba, Michael Matheson, Olli Maatta, Ludwig Bystrom, Cody Ceci, Jordan Schmaltz, Damon Severson, Derrick Pouliot, Matt Finn....

If we're outside of the top 3, there is very little reason to take a forward in the 2012 Draft. Also, we won't be in the top 3.

Old
12-26-2011, 06:24 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Double post

Last edited by o Hamhuis 2 x: 12-26-2011 at 07:29 PM.
o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:56 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Ryan Murray, Morgan Rielly, Griffin Reinhart, Matt Dumba, Jacob Trouba, Michael Matheson, Olli Maatta, Ludwig Bystrom, Cody Ceci, Jordan Schmaltz, Damon Severson, Derrick Pouliot, Matt Finn....

If we're outside of the top 3, there is very little reason to take a forward in the 2012 Draft. Also, we won't be in the top 3.
I agree... I wasn't saying we should go forward in the draft, I was simply saying there's relatively no chance Galchenyuk lasts to the mid-late 20s where we'll be picking.

He's a top-10 talent according to most/all scouting services before his injury and he's still top-15 according to most.

If he did last till our pick, I think we'd honestly have to take him kind of like we did Couturier. He'd be the best player on the board where we'll be picking... and you ALWAYS go BPA... never draft for need.

Old
12-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

I to have glimpses of JVR doing the same thing. Then unfortunately I wake up. Chris, I hope you are right about him. But I saw to many games where he is a non-factor. This goes back to his days in N.H. I do not want to get rid of him. But if the right deal came along that would benefit us. I would move him. With our forward depth and with a lot of early picks in the next two drafts losing him would not be the end of the world. The return would have to be something very very substantial. That would be the only way I would move him. The kid needs a little sandpaper in is game. One thing about Claude was no matter what, he played with grit from day one. And that is a significant difference in their games. JVR needs to get mad.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote