HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shakeup of roster looms as Rangers get healthier

Old
12-26-2011, 01:51 PM
satrabyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Only because Torts hates Avery.
exactly not because he is as bad as WW and EC.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:55 PM
UlfNilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i hope this doesnt means you rather keep Wolski over Dubinsky
Where did I say that? I remember posting that the Rangers should trade WW at the deadline if possible.

UlfNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Rangerfans

For those who want to put a guy who has done jack this season (WW) and put him immediately on the 2nd line....wow. I can't even comprehend what you're thinking. He deserves 4th line minutes -- if any -- at this point. The man is useless until he proves it.

Just because it looks cute on paper, doesn't mean it works. If you ever played a competitive sport, you would realize that.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:03 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
For those who want to put a guy who has done jack this season (WW) and put him immediately on the 2nd line....wow. I can't even comprehend what you're thinking. He deserves 4th line minutes -- if any -- at this point. The man is useless until he proves it.

Just because it looks cute on paper, doesn't mean it works. If you ever played a competitive sport, you would realize that.
And you would realize a guy who has the ability to score 65 points next to an elite center is a no-brainer, until it's proven NOT to work.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:05 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Really..Really & Really ??????

Wolski has shown absolutly nada and you want him on the second line and Hagelin to the 4th???????
have you been watching NYR games this year?have you not noticed Hagelin??? Havent you not seen how useless Wolski just about is and what a waste of cap space he is??

Rupp sitting & Mitchell in?????????????

I Thank GOD you arent a head coach of the Rangers
The one issue this team has among the forwards is the revolving door at LW on Richards' line. It was meant to be Dubi, but he has completely underwhelmed. Hagelin looks good there in spurts, but he's still a rookie in his first season and is not the finisher that should slot in there. He'd be perfect on the 3rd line (as he was previously), but because Dubi has not stepped up to fill that 2nd line spot, they're competing for bottom 6 LW playing time.

Whether you care to admit it or not, Wolski is one of our most offensively gifted players - a finisher who has scored 65 points in this league before. He was on fire in the playoffs two years ago and he was playing very well earlier this year before he got hurt. We haven't seen him at full strength but for short spurts in his Rangers career and, barring a trade any time soon (and mind you, I've been campaigning for the team to acquire Ryan for months now), he's the best fit I see on the current squad for LW on the Richards line.

Honestly, I can see quite a bit of shuffling up and down that LW and bottom 6 center once Wolski comes back. I just suggested the alignment that makes the most sense off the bat to me. I could equally see Mitchell sitting and Rupp sliding to center (although I think that once again leads to a player playing out of his best position) and Wolski sliding down to one of the other lines in favor of Dubi/Hagelin, if he fails to produce.

The problem we have is that we have WAY too many candidates for LW on the 3rd/4th line - and too few candidates for LW on the 2nd line and center on the 3rd/4th line. Much better would be to eventually trade one or more of these pieces to get folks who fit into their natural spots.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
exactly not because he is as bad as WW and EC.
Solidarity, brother. And Torts hates WW too, because he hates hot tubs.

Khelvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:

Yeah let's watch him prove himself by playing with Gordie Prust and Wayne Christiensen there on the fourth line. He's bound to score a ton of goals playing with those 2 all stars.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And you would realize a guy who has the ability to score 65 points next to an elite center is a no-brainer, until it's proven NOT to work.
Has the ability? That's all hear-say. He hasn't done it. He is beyond inconsistent. Does he have potential? Sure. So does the hobbit. But until they do it, I'm going to go by what I see.

All I see from Wolski is that he's inconsistent and can't back-check worth a damn.
But if they put on the 2nd. Fine. I have no major problem with that. But he better show me something.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Has the ability? That's all hear-say. He hasn't done it. He is beyond inconsistent. Does he have potential? Sure. So does the hobbit. But until they do it, I'm going to go by what I see.

All I see from Wolski is that he's inconsistent and can't back-check worth a damn.
But if they put on the 2nd. Fine. I have no major problem with that. But he better show me something.
Wolski HAS done it though. Not here.

You put him with an elite center, see if he can score, and if he can't, then you sit him, trade him or waive him. But he's easily the best candidate on that line past Dubinsky.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Gardner McKay
What a time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Wolski HAS done it though. Not here.

You put him with an elite center, see if he can score, and if he can't, then you sit him, trade him or waive him. But he's easily the best candidate on that line past Dubinsky.
Agreed. Wolski can put up numbers. I truly believe he will put up good numbers when he comes back

--But after the long calm, there are now beginnings of a stir. The reunion at hand may joy, it may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings. For they are coming back. At last, the promise has been made. --
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:00 PM
chosen

Quote:

Whether your opinion of Wolski is accurate or not, I can assure you that it has nothing to do with hearsay.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Dorado*

Big Problem with WW on the Brad line is Torts like to Match Brad line against other teams top line , as is BR has been average at best defensively ( inconsistent maybe better word ) him and Cally are 2 of our only minus Players ( take that for what it's worth ) and with WW ON LW on that line makes them that much more defensively challenged . Conversely his ability to one time the puck and dangle might mean they score a few more off the rush .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:03 PM
eco's bones

Wolski had a couple good games this year--and the rest weren't so good. One can understand that he's not exactly been 100% but one can also understand the critique from the other side that he has had a tendency throughout his career to play soft and there is no room for him if he can't put up big numbers because his lack of grit and an inability to play an all around game does not really fit all too well into the culture of what the team has become.

Maybe the softest forward we're carrying right now is Gaborik and he's not quite as soft as Wolski and he's putting up big numbers. We don't need a forward floating around if he's not producing and that's the conundrum that WW will face if he doesn't. As far as his salary--I'm not buying that he has to play because he's making too much. His ice time should be earned on the ice like anyone else.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Chimp

Players returning from injury usually have an initial performance boost. As Dubi has been such a disappointment offensively this season, let Wolski show what he can do, as we're lacking a natural 2nd line LW. Let Wolski try to grow some confidence from the return boost. It's not like we're overwhelmed with offensive skill.

As the other options are a slumping Dubi and Hagelin (who has been impressive, but I don't see him as a 2nd liner - yet), we don't have much to lose.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Agreed. Wolski can put up numbers. I truly believe he will put up good numbers when he comes back
I don't "truly believe" he will put up good numbers, far from it in fact. But this team needs another scoring punch in the top 6 and wolski has the talent to help. The question is if he has the drive and work ethic. The team has no choice to hope he excels there because he's not very helpful outside of the top 6.

Regarding Brooks' article, I usually find him pretty entertaining but he's out to lunch with Avery and Christensen. No team in the league is going to give up any asset for either one. Avery is unwanted due to a myriad of factors, and Christensen stinks.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Wolski had a couple good games this year--and the rest weren't so good. One can understand that he's not exactly been 100% but one can also understand the critique from the other side that he has had a tendency throughout his career to play soft and there is no room for him if he can't put up big numbers because his lack of grit and an inability to play an all around game does not really fit all too well into the culture of what the team has become.

Maybe the softest forward we're carrying right now is Gaborik and he's not quite as soft as Wolski and he's putting up big numbers. We don't need a forward floating around if he's not producing and that's the conundrum that WW will face if he doesn't. As far as his salary--I'm not buying that he has to play because he's making too much. His ice time should be earned on the ice like anyone else.
Torts has benched WW before so I'm not worried about him being handed a top 6 spot, but this man has to get some sandpaper in his game if he's going to play for the Rangers because as you mentioned Gaborik is the softest forward, and even he throws his body around. If WW isn't putting up consistent points then hes just another Christensen - skilled, incosistent, soft. Obviously WW has much more talent than EC but look at Pavel Brendl. FWIW I would like to see WW and Christensen off this team for good, as they do not fit the mold of what this team stands for.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Monglobster View Post
Torts has benched WW before so I'm not worried about him being handed a top 6 spot, but this man has to get some sandpaper in his game if he's going to play for the Rangers because as you mentioned Gaborik is the softest forward, and even he throws his body around. If WW isn't putting up consistent points then hes just another Christensen - skilled, incosistent, soft. Obviously WW has much more talent than EC but look at Pavel Brendl. FWIW I would like to see WW and Christensen off this team for good, as they do not fit the mold of what this team stands for.
Yes. WW (and EC, who is pretty much a copy of WW) are goners and I think that's a majority opinion, for reasons mentioned. Very inconsistent, soft, weak character. Not a good fit in this system, WW is probably more suitable as a mercenary plug on a team with rebuild plans, who don't care about immediate results.

Since WW arrived here, I think has been pretty much useless and hasn't been even close to cover up all his deficiencies with his strengths. His moments of brilliance have been non-existant (I can't even remember any time I've been impressed by him). After most games, you have to check the roster sheet to see if he even played or not, regardless of his actual minutes.

With that said, he has about half a season left to prove everyone wrong and get some mojo to his game. Or until the trade deadline, but I can't see him having much value at all. Sure, he has produced 65 pts in his career, but I don't think anyone has seen anything even remotely close to that resemblance. He has bounced around several teams for a reason.

Last edited by Chimp: 12-26-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:00 PM
IfYouCantEtemJoinEm
so hot right now

vCash: 983
Quote:

It's not like they would be breaking up an awesome 2nd line to fit Wolski in. Richards has been slumping all month. Same with Cally. At even strength that line hasn't done anything recently. It would be nice to have a consistent scoring threat from more than 1 line.

IfYouCantEtemJoinEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Gardner McKay
What a time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I don't "truly believe" he will put up good numbers, far from it in fact. But this team needs another scoring punch in the top 6 and wolski has the talent to help. The question is if he has the drive and work ethic. The team has no choice to hope he excels there because he's not very helpful outside of the top 6.

Regarding Brooks' article, I usually find him pretty entertaining but he's out to lunch with Avery and Christensen. No team in the league is going to give up any asset for either one. Avery is unwanted due to a myriad of factors, and Christensen stinks.
He has the talent. This is his 3rd team in 4 years. He knows he has no choice or pretty soon he will have Christensen status.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Fact of the matter is we've hardly seen W2 this year. What we DID see looked better than last year. Folks who are saying "get a 5th for him" have their heads up their *****. He's a talented player. He was even hitting before he got hurt, and he was pretty good at it.

Why the hell am I still hearing Avery's name?

Don't pretend Torts "has a love affair" with EC just to justify Aves not playing. It looks pathetic.

I see two possible line configurations

GAS line
WW B-Rich Cally
Dubi Feds Hags
Rupp Boyle Prust

I know Feds normally plays wing, but we've seen him play center before, and it's not awful.

Alternately, if Dubi TRULY has woken up

GAS line
Dubi B-Rich Cally
Wolski Feds Hags
Rupp Boyle Prust

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:14 PM
free0717

I think Wolski should go to Hartford on a Conditioning Assignment as soon as he is cleared to play. A couple of weeks in the minors to get his timing back. Then he should be given a shot. He was our best forward against Washington in the PO. He worked hard this summer and got hurt. If he doesnt cut it, then trade or waive him.

Avery and EC should both be waived. EC has talent but just is too soft. Avery is always offside and misses the net. I do like the way Avery gets in on the Forecheck.

As far as the Dmen go, Once we are healthy, I like Bickel as my sixth dman. Erixon needs time, Stralman although he has been decent scares me and Woywitka just plays too much hot potatoe. Torts is right on Emminger, his game is Ugly as hell.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Dubi play has been 100% better last 4 games , even though not on the scoresheet as we hope once we have a lead in the 3rd his line of Boyle and Mitchell have been monsters on the wall in both zones and eaten up a ton of time on the forecheck . Mitchell is quick , hard on the puck , rarely takes a minor and good away from the puck . Logical sit would be RUPP or Feds ( the latter rotating to keep them fresh) who are important but could use nights off from time to time to keep them fresh .
Yeah, and no matter what -- any player will struggle for stretches during his career.

Dubi is a "55-60 pts" IMO. On a good year, in a good environment, he could score 10-15 pts more then that. On a bad year, like 40 pts is what you get. Thats just how it is with him, Callahan, Anisimov and co. We can't dump them as soon as they are cold for a while.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:39 PM
xxxZENxxx

Avery and Erixon will clearly be demoted. What happens beyond that should be interesting. Staal, WW, and Sauer combine to make a large cap dent.

It is worth nothing that there might be a lot of trade fireworks leading up to the deadline this year. Interesting names like Suter/Weber, Parise, Hemsky, Semin, B.Ryan... maybe even Doan & Iginla could be on the move in the next 2 months. Besides expiring contracts and bad teams trying to acquire assets, the impending lockout might push some teams to dump salary as well. Will Sather go for it if this team keeps winning? Don't be surprised. Dubi should be shaking in his boots right now.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:53 PM
eco's bones

Dubi being benched is not even an issue. He plays in all situations and with grit. At the pace he's on he still gets 40 points with a good portion of his ice on the third line. He also has a habit of playing his best in important games. He's a very important core member of the team.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Ace2008

like to see Wolski+Dubi+pick for S.Weber....waiting.....yeah...Poile will do it in a heart beat.

then swap Zuccarello+ a high pick for R.Bourque or wait until the jets are out of the mix and get either Bogosian or B.Wheeler for Zucc+a 1st and maybe a cheap blueliner/Eminger/ or Woywitka

1--Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik

1b-Hagelin-Richards-Callahan

1C-Fedotenko-Rupp-Prust

1d-Bourque/Christensen-Boyle-Wheeler or Newbury

mcD---Girardi

Staal*he's ready right...-Bickell(let Staal show his skating more) and Stu show off his muscle

Erixon/Dz-Weber

Sauer/Eminger/bogosian/ pick 1

eventually we'll probably see

somebody have B.Ryan rumors but the blueshirts don't have 20+ minutes to hand out @ RW and he's been much more effective playing there than @ LW where he's slotted this season and parts of last

of course if Gabby's shoulder is bothering him...then why not get some insurance...

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote