HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Worst Team In Canada:Damien Cox

Old
12-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
It's not the greatest future ahead, but i don't think it's bad. All that i care is that we keep our current core of players. PK, Price, Georges, Eller, Patches, Pleks and you can add Emelin and Leblanc to that list. And i hope the recent panic will not be detrimental to that core. i'm not big fan of these players missing out on the PO's, even if it's only for 4 games.
Whatever comes next, i hope that core is intact next September, and with a set plan and blueprint to winning. Whatever the strategy is.
Not bad has been the problem for the past several years for us. We're... not bad.

Good enough for the playoffs. Not good enough to win anything. Not low enough to get high picks... And not proactive enough to get high picks or prospects.

Being 'not bad' is kind of the problem....

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Amazing how people still think this. All you have to do is watch the guys since he was fired and watch before (guys on the bench smiling, Cole's wave, lots of communication between players) and now (frowns, players looking straight in front of them). Not to mention the way they look on the ice and being outscored 17-6 since then. Firing Martin was a terrible mistake and I think the players did not like the move one bit. But keep telling yourself that he lost the room and the players hated him because people on hfboards said so.
Or! It could be an entire month of continual failure, both under Martin and now Cunneyworth had made the players feel miserable. Cole's wave came after we beat Carolina, in one of the worst games I have ever seen played, albeit our recent performance hasn't been much better. Cunneyworth has been arguably a weak coach but this team was awful before he signed on to man the ship.

Frankly, I am glad for the mistake because this team is not playoff bound and if the recent trend continues, we can at least mitigate our damages with a legitimate star prospect. Would be nice for once in lieu of mediocrity year in and out.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:26 PM
mix1home

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLights View Post
lol you guys are 6 points back of the playoffs with 46 games remaining. I thought leafs fans were jumpy but, damn! if the leafs by some miracle make the playoffs i want montreal in there as well because if we played it would be epic.
Just thought I would post some stats to put things in perspective. To get to 91 points and have a chance at PO Habs need to go something like 27-14-5 or 66% WP or 13 games over .500 the rest of the way. Doable? - Yes. Probable? - No. Long losing sticks in this NHL are unforgivable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Not very hard to do with Ottawa having half an AHL team, Calgary being on a downward spiral and Toronto not having made the playoffs in like 7 years and dropping after a hot start.
Main difference though is that Ottawa has hot PP and very young and talented team, Calgary has veteran team that can compete and they can unload some star players for king's ransom. And Toronto is just good team that has string of tough games against good opponents and still finished it 4-4-2 (.500). Leafs actually overcome a lot of injuries this season so far (Reimer, Armstrong, Kadri, Connolly, McArthur. Grabobski, Komisarek, Brown, Lombardi, more than Habs did for sure, AINEC). Leafs were only noticeably outplayed by Boston, but then who was not?

mix1home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Or! It could be an entire month of continual failure, both under Martin and now Cunneyworth had made the players feel miserable. Cole's wave came after we beat Carolina, in one of the worst games I have ever seen played, albeit our recent performance hasn't been much better. Cunneyworth has been arguably a weak coach but this team was awful before he signed on to man the ship.

Frankly, I am glad for the mistake because this team is not playoff bound and if the recent trend continues, we can at least mitigate our damages with a legitimate star prospect. Would be nice for once in lieu of mediocrity year in and out.
seriously... team was playing bad before RC took over, and obviously the whole S*** storm around his hiring combined with a 5 game losing streak adds up to a lot of unhappiness in the habs locker room.

mistake wasn't so much firing Martin, as it was replacing him with an anglo interim coach & then both the GM & owner doing nothing but undermine him making it clear that he's just a stop-gap.

that Gauthier/Molson have so poorly handled this mess just compounded an already degenerating situation...

like you, I think this situation actually bodes well for us long term IF molson is bright enough to dump Gauthier, ignore Gainey, and proceed to bring in the kind of excellent leadership our franchise has sorely lacked for far too long.

getting a high pick (if this slide continues), would just be icing on the cake

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:48 PM
One Trick Pony

Even team Canada jr would beat us

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Even team Canada jr would beat us
They're a bigger team than us

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post

Entire month of failure in which the Habs picked up a point in every game in December until JM's firing (minus the one Chris Lee stole) despite being the most injured team in the league in the first half of the season. They were 2 games above .500 at the time and had the second best penalty killing unit in the league. They were also about 10th 5 on 5. With two rookie defensemen, 1 sophomore who was logging 28+ minutes a game and guys missing everywhere that's not failure. That's keeping the team afloat until the bodies start coming back. That's what people are not seeing. But JM was boring right? At least it was more fun to watch than getting absolutely embarrassed game after game and looking like a team with no direction, no clear idea of what the system is and nobody working together. They looked like **** the last 4 games. Just awful. At least under Martin there was some sort of structure and credibility. Now they are a laughing stock.

Having said that, sure change, I don't agree with it but it seems in Montreal the grass is always greener on the other side. Let's say change is a good thing, (in other words that getting rid of our coach every second season actually works for once) you don't replace a guy with 1200 games coached in the NHL with someone who's never coached before at the NHL level with that many injuries and rookies when you're a point of two out of 8th place. It's a recipe for disaster. If you're going to change at least have a clear plan and for ****'s sake, do it in the offseason. To put it in perspective we were 2 points behind the Leafs when JM got canned. They just extended Wilson.

The firing of JM was terrible. I would have kept him around for many years. If you're going to get rid of a guy like that at least wait until the offseason and for heaven's sake have a clear replacement.

Last edited by Jigger77: 12-26-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:08 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
They're a bigger team than us
seriously i think this might be right. hamilton is 6'4, stone is 6'3 no?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
Just thought I would post some stats to put things in perspective. To get to 91 points and have a chance at PO Habs need to go something like 27-14-5 or 66% WP or 13 games over .500 the rest of the way. Doable? - Yes. Probable? - No. Long losing sticks in this NHL are unforgivable.
True. However, this season it looks like 88 points will make a spot just like it did a few years back. We also have the 'luxury' of being in a conference with clubs like the Leafs and Panthers who could fall apart any time now. We're still in the thick of things.

If we were in the West we'd have no chance but... we're not.

I still think we have a legit shot at the playoffs. I only hope that mgmt goes the 'seller' route instead.

Old
12-26-2011, 10:38 PM
mix1home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
True. However, this season it looks like 88 points will make a spot just like it did a few years back. We also have the 'luxury' of being in a conference with clubs like the Leafs and Panthers who could fall apart any time now. We're still in the thick of things.

If we were in the West we'd have no chance but... we're not.

I still think we have a legit shot at the playoffs. I only hope that mgmt goes the 'seller' route instead.
What you guys in majority still don't get (since the summer) that East got a lot stronger and its shows in tight standings. I'm absolutely stunned by your persistence. It was consensus before the season even started. Granted, West has more .500+ teams atm, but balance is a lot closer this year.

Standings actually reflect actual strength of teams so far. There is no team behind Leafs that is better. All those teams have their own problems.

As to the 'seller' route, Habs don't have pieces contenders will want, a.e. good veteran players on last year of their contract. Most of your veteran players are untradeable unless you want to add to get rid of their contracts. You can trade Gill, Kostitsyn and Moen, who fit the bill of deadline trading.

mix1home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Sorry guys but at 33 points we're closer to 15th place Islanders (28 pts with 2 games in hand) than 8th place (39 pts). We don't have the team to put the miraculous winning streak together that wed need to make the playoffs. In fact, most of us expect them more to completely crumble and compete for lottery rather than making the playoffs at this point. Unfortunately the management will probably once again try to save the facade, do another dumb minor move and we'll end up 8th-12th or something.

If the NHL didn't have the loser point, we'd be 13-23. That's a .325 winning%

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Erik Estrada

Statistically we have a 1 in 7 chance of making the playoffs... It's not time to mortgage the future on wishful thinking. We're not one or two pieces away from making a run at anything.

We can have a wait and see attitude very early in the new year to see if any momentum can build up with this roster... In the meantime, we cant give away picks... If we don't take off right away, we need to sell.

I hope the current management in place has the team's best interest at heart and won't do anymore Kaberle-type deals.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
What you guys in majority still don't get (since the summer) that East got a lot stronger and its shows in tight standings. I'm absolutely stunned by your persistence. It was consensus before the season even started. Granted, West has more .500+ teams atm, but balance is a lot closer this year.

Standings actually reflect actual strength of teams so far. There is no team behind Leafs that is better. All those teams have their own problems.
The top teams in the East may be as good as the top ones in the West but I can tell you that 88 points won't sniff you a spot out there. It just might be good enough in the East though.
Quote:
As to the 'seller' route, Habs don't have pieces contenders will want, a.e. good veteran players on last year of their contract. Most of your veteran players are untradeable unless you want to add to get rid of their contracts. You can trade Gill, Kostitsyn and Moen, who fit the bill of deadline trading.
Who wouldn't want Plekanec? You have to give to get dude. Of course they don't want Gill. Clubs will want Pleks and even though he's slumping, Cammy should get a decent return.

We have to have the will to do this though so don't worry, we won't do it.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:11 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
While he may not be completely wrong, Cox is more of a hack then anything. I tend to take anything he writes with a grain of salt.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:17 PM
FF de Mars

I agree with Cox that we presently (at the Xmas break) are the worst Canadian team. However, things change really quickly in the NHL. One of this and two of that and we might easily end up being the second best Canadian team by trade deadline time.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:27 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

For being the worse team in Canada we certainly set the Sens back last night

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 02:52 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
For being the worse team in Canada we certainly set the Sens back last night
i know the sens are doing better than expected, but i wouldn't brag about beating the sens, even if it was a good old-fashion ass kicking...

still, it's probably just the shot of confidence the boys and RC needed

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote