HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lines at practice

Old
12-26-2011, 02:32 PM
MarkovsKnee

vCash: 500
Weird. Eller gets benched last game & is now playing with our top 2 wingers. In any case, I actually like the lines. Cammy-DD-LL could be a little scary, but I think LL will help them out on the forecheck and DD & Cammy worked well together when they were with Cole too, so it might work.

Need to try something. Wish we could add a little toughness to the line-up. Not necessarily an enforcer, but someone like White who will stand-up for his teammates. I think it would be a great psychological lift to this team. Blunden doesn't really do much out there & it doesn't sound like White is coming back too soon.

Same with the D. I think it would be much better if we could trade Campoli for someone like Steve Staois of the Islanders. We need some grit back there. There's so many rumours surrounding this team I'm definitely interested to see if anything happens once the trade deadline freeze is over.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:34 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Eller promoted after being benched? Sorry but I already feel like Randy has lost me.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:40 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
Cammy+DD= No doubt the single greatest shutdown unit in the history of sports
Seriously I won't cry about that since I've wanted to see what Eller could do in DD's spot for a while. Can't believe it took so long for Eller to be tried with 2 offensive wingers.
From the pressbox to the first line... !!!

Brilliant.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:41 PM
habitue*

Cunneyworth won't last until the end of this calendar year.

Old
12-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Most people agree that Eller's benching was unjustified, now that he's promoted, everyone criticizes Cunneyworth.

Besides, I think it's a new start for the team, that's the mentality they're in.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:50 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Most people agree that Eller's benching was unjustified, now that he's promoted, everyone criticizes Cunneyworth.

Besides, I think it's a new start for the team, that's the mentality they're in.
I want Eller in the line up, but not in fraging hell, between nour two best (and bigger )wingers.

Old
12-26-2011, 03:01 PM
MXD

Wow... Carbo's line were looking good!

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Hank Scorpio

My only adjustment would be switching Leblanc and Kostitsyn but I have no issue with these lines and certainly am not complaining. I've wanted to see Eller center Cole and Patches for a while now and I'm happy they've split up Cammalleri and Plekanec, as I suspect the Cammy, DD, LL line will start a lot of shifts in the offensive zone where as Pleks line is built more for the defensive zone and transition. Hopefully, clarifying the roles will help our players simplify and execute.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:17 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I want Eller in the line up, but not in fraging hell, between nour two best (and bigger )wingers.
I really don't see what's so wrong about giving the guy a chance. If DD got one after a bad camp and beginning of the season there is no reason why one of our most consistent player this season shouldn't.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:28 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I think they would actually fit together.

Cammalleri looks like **** because of confidence issues, his bread and butter is scoring goals, nothing more. Eller likes to carry the puck and one of the main things he needs to learn is when to let it go in the offensive zone.

With Cammalleri's presence, I feel that Eller will have more confidence and make better decisions with the puck in the offensive zone.

What the habs need is to be more dynamic in the counter attack

Mainly because Eller is a pretty good tough minutes player while Cammalleri should ideally be a soft minutes one. The rest is just a feeling sorry can't explain maybe I subconsciently don't want Cammy draging down my fav player lol

I don't hate the idea of Cammy and DD. Two soft minute guy (DD as a center anyway) but they should probably be with someone with more experience. But yeah injuries, sad that the team is so small some lines have to be full on smurfs line to get a real big line.

Old
12-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Schwang

HMM....so a healthy scratch (Eller) = a promotion with better wingers next game?
Pure genius!

Keep sliding Montreal! We'll get that 1st or 2nd pick soon.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:12 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

I think Cunney is trying to get Eller going and work from that. Alot of you say DD new line will be bad defensively but they could also be very strong offensively if they gell. I don't think that line will get Alot of tough matchups either as it looks to be the 3rd line.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Lucky Luke

Looks like the lines will be the following:

Cole-Eller-Pacioretty
Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Moen
Cammalleri-Desharnais-Leblanc
Darche-Nokelainen-Blunden

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:16 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Glad to see Eller promoted and DD demoted. DD is awful defensively and there's no other way to put it. Let's hope Randy also realizes Campoli is a train wreck.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Cyclones Rock

Yeah. DD's so awful that he's got the 2nd best +/- of all the forwards on the team who have played over 25 games.

It's almost de rigueur to pronounce DD as poor defensively despite all the statistical evidence to the contrary.

Eller has never been a top offensive producer anywhere. While it would be nice for him to become one, it's doubtful that he will at the NHL level.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:39 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke View Post
Looks like the lines will be the following:

Cole-Eller-Pacioretty
Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Moen
Cammalleri-Desharnais-Leblanc
Darche-Nokelainen-Blunden
You have the first 2 lines backwards, but yes.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:42 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Yeah. DD's so awful that he's got the 2nd best +/- of all the forwards on the team who have played over 25 games.

It's almost de rigueur to pronounce DD as poor defensively despite all the statistical evidence to the contrary.

Eller has never been a top offensive producer anywhere. While it would be nice for him to become one, it's doubtful that he will at the NHL level.
DD gets the weakest defensive assignments on most nights. Every time he gets lined up against opposing teams top lines he finishes the night -2 or worse.

Eller lead his AHL team in scoring in 09-10 by a sizeable chunk. He was playing with complete garbage and made them produce. Even as a 19 year old he was one of the offensive leaders on his SEL team, a league that does not give one **** about developing prospects.

DD at 19 was unable to get an AHL contract. At 20 he played in the ECHL. At Eller's age DD was putting up the numbers Eller put up as a 20 year old in the AHL.

Eller is 22 years old and already plays in a shutdown role against the top lines in the league and chips in offensive here and there. If you put him in DD's role of facing third liners with the best wingers on the team he would produce just as much. Not to mention the 4 minutes a game of PP time DD gets when the PP was awful.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Habs13

....and where is Emelin??

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post
HMM....so a healthy scratch (Eller) = a promotion with better wingers next game?
Pure genius!

Keep sliding Montreal! We'll get that 1st or 2nd pick soon.
You're acting as if Eller was supposed to be a healthy scratch in the first place.

Quote:

It's easy to have a good +/- when you get the easy match ups. Martin was giving the DD line all the soft match ups while Plekanec and Eller drew the top lines.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:55 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:

+- loses it's meaning when you compare a guy playing sheltered offensive minutes with someone playing a defensive role against top lines. (and that's coming from someone who thinks DD would make a decent defensive winger)

Desharnais's first full AHL season at 22 year old on a pretty stacked Bulldogs team: 58 pts in 77 games for a 0.75 ppg
Eller's first full AHL season as a 20 year old making transition from european ice on a poor Peoria team : 57 pts in 70 games for a 0.81 ppg

Old
12-26-2011, 06:00 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
DD gets the weakest defensive assignments on most nights. Every time he gets lined up against opposing teams top lines he finishes the night -2 or worse.

Eller lead his AHL team in scoring in 09-10 by a sizeable chunk. He was playing with complete garbage and made them produce. Even as a 19 year old he was one of the offensive leaders on his SEL team, a league that does not give one **** about developing prospects.

DD at 19 was unable to get an AHL contract. At 20 he played in the ECHL. At Eller's age DD was putting up the numbers Eller put up as a 20 year old in the AHL.

Eller is 22 years old and already plays in a shutdown role against the top lines in the league and chips in offensive here and there. If you put him in DD's role of facing third liners with the best wingers on the team he would produce just as much. Not to mention the 4 minutes a game of PP time DD gets when the PP was awful.
You type faster than I do it seems. I agree, don't get the people who don't see the offensive upside and who seems to want him to fail. Come on people the guy has higher upside than any foward in our system so I'll pretty much always want him put in the best situation to succed.

Edit: and to be even more of an homer I'll add that he did this while battling mononucleosis during the first month (in his 20 year old AHL season)

Last edited by EllertoKostitsynGoal: 12-26-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old
12-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Protest the Hero

Obviously I'd rather have Eller develop better than DD(6'3" vs 5'6"), and I'm happy he's finally playing with our two most consistent wingers, but DD's new line is going to get trapped in our zone even longer than our lines normally do.

On the other hand, DD continues to put up points, so maybe he helps Cammy, and hopefully Cole/Pacioretty can help Eller put up some points consistently.

Plekanec is probably wondering what he has to do to play with Pac-Cole

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:28 PM
ericd

The problem is not with forwards lines. It is with the defense pairings.

Campoli and Weber = Healthy scratches?
Emelin = Playing on right side of Kaberle?

ericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Max Levine

I couldn't wait to see Eller playing with top 6 wingers and I thought this would never happen with Martin and now Cunneyworth. But to go as far as playing him with the two power forwards, I'm not sure I see the logic.

It's obvious Desharnais needs big wingers and I was hoping White, upon his return, would join him and Pacioretty which would allow Plek to have Cole on his side.

I like Eller's chemistry with Kostitsyn and I thought Cammaleri could join them. At any rate, it's about time Lars be placed in a winning situation.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:48 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Some fans man...they will never be happy.

And the Habs don't have a 1st line. So you can cool it with the "OMG, Eller's on the 1st line". So bipolar.

The team can't score, Cunney's shaking things up. Pacioretty has been invisible for the last 10 or so games. Again, we don't have a #1 line.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote