HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lidstrom back to "Norris calibre" again?

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Goldark

vCash: 500
Lidstrom back to "Norris calibre" again?

The only reason why I have "Norris calibre" in quotations is that his offensive game has really picked up as of late and we all know how important that is when talking about Norris consideration. He's been great defensively all season still.

9 points in the last 6 games for 26 points in 31 games this season, good for third in defenseman scoring. Considering we're missing 2 of our top 4 defenseman (Fischer and Kronwall), Lidstrom becomes even more important to our success (if that was even humanly possible).

Here's to another Norris for Nick.

Old
12-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldark
The only reason why I have "Norris calibre" in quotations is that his offensive game has really picked up as of late and we all know how important that is when talking about Norris consideration. He's been great defensively all season still.

9 points in the last 6 games for 26 points in 31 games this season, good for third in defenseman scoring. Considering we're missing 2 of our top 4 defenseman (Fischer and Kronwall), Lidstrom becomes even more important to our success (if that was even humanly possible).

Here's to another Norris for Nick.
He had a Norris calibre game tonight, that's for sure.

Old
12-12-2005, 10:08 PM
MetalMilitia

If Bryan McCabe wins the Norris this year and not Nick Lidstrom, I will be EXTREMELY shocked and mad. The Norris is given out for the most points nowadays, and I wouldn't be surprised if McCabe finishes the season with the most points by a Dman and be a negative +/-. Once Nick Lidstrom gets his +/- up to the double digits, I will be convinced that he will win the Norris once again. But I am convinced that he is back to Norris calibre. In Lidstrom We Trust

Old
12-12-2005, 10:37 PM
doublejack

His offensive game has improved of late but he's still not playing Norris caliber hockey imo. He had a couple fairly large defensive lapses today including another stick obstruction penalty. Good defenseman, yes. Norris material, no.

Old
12-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
His offensive game has improved of late but he's still not playing Norris caliber hockey imo. He had a couple fairly large defensive lapses today including another stick obstruction penalty. Good defenseman, yes. Norris material, no.

That tripping penalty was a joke.

I think Lidstrom has been playing great the last few games. He's had quite a few lapses this season (measuring by the usual inhumanly high Lidstrom standard), but he does so, so many things right that don't get noticed. Either they don't get noticed, or it's just that everyone is so used to him making the difficult look easy they don't comment on it anymore. It's hard to telestrate smarts, I guess.

I know one thing, Detroit would be screwed without him; especially right now, with Fischer and Kronwall out of the lineup.

He's great, whether he gets the Norris or not.

Old
12-12-2005, 11:43 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Why is Nick the only Norris contender that has to be perfect? Other defensemen commit penalties and make mistakes. Even the really good ones.

Old
12-12-2005, 11:53 PM
C-J...*

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Why is Nick the only Norris contender that has to be perfect? Other defensemen commit penalties and make mistakes. Even the really good ones.

Hes judged by his past.

Has there ever been a player in the NHL that made less mistakes?

The only thing hes lacking to be considered the best ever, or atleast top-3, is the physical part of the game.

But then again, if hes able to control the game without being physical, why should it matter.

And lets all realize that he´s 35 years of age, no springchicken.

Old
12-12-2005, 11:54 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-J...
Hes judged by his past.

Has there ever been a player in the NHL that made less mistakes?

The only thing hes lacking to be considered the best ever, or atleast top-3, is the physical part of the game.

But then again, if hes able to control the game without being physical, why should it matter.
That's true. But also ******** that it has to be that way.

Old
12-13-2005, 12:02 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
IMHO right now the runners for the Norris should be Ohlund, McCabe and maybe the 3rd spot is a wild card really, whoever...

Ohlund has been solid as hell in vancouver. Lidstrom very well could improve his numbers in the 2nd half and once kronny is back i think were gonna see nik take off with some solid play... nik lidstrom that is, lmao

Old
12-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Howard35

right now, my top 2 for the norris are ohlund and mccabe, lidstrom with a strong month could very well up his value to be considered in there as well... If lids can regain and win a few categories out of others, such as assists, plus minus and play more minutes, i think he could win this again after a slow start

Old
12-13-2005, 12:07 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
He doesn't have to be perfect to win a Norris, but there is a caveat. Nick has never been a physical guy which is fine... as long as he remains positionally sound. I think a more physical player should get more slack, not much but a little, because it's a tradeoff - you get some big hits but you open yourself up to being out of position. Conversely, a more offensive minded guy like a Schneider should also get more slack because they take risks at the other end of the ice.

From tonight's game, did anyone else notice the footrace Nick lost? I believe it was in the 2nd period. He was skating in our zone towards the corner after a loose puck when the Pens forward blew right by him. Nick went into damage control mode and forced the play behind the net, but this was a perfect example of what I've been talking about. If this had happened at the blueline rather than 20 feet from the corner it would have resulted in a breakaway.

The lack of speed is really affecting his game this year. He's adapting, sure, but it makes him less effective than he was before. Nick is slowly (no pun intended) turning into Larry Murphy right before our very eyes.

Old
12-13-2005, 12:12 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
IMHO right now the runners for the Norris should be Ohlund, McCabe and maybe the 3rd spot is a wild card really, whoever...

Ohlund has been solid as hell in vancouver. Lidstrom very well could improve his numbers in the 2nd half and once kronny is back i think were gonna see nik take off with some solid play... nik lidstrom that is, lmao
My top 3 right now are Ohlund, McCabe and Pitkanen. I'd fill out the top 5 with Chara and, hmm, maybe Visnovsky.

Old
12-13-2005, 12:41 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
He doesn't have to be perfect to win a Norris, but there is a caveat. Nick has never been a physical guy which is fine... as long as he remains positionally sound. I think a more physical player should get more slack, not much but a little, because it's a tradeoff - you get some big hits but you open yourself up to being out of position. Conversely, a more offensive minded guy like a Schneider should also get more slack because they take risks at the other end of the ice.

From tonight's game, did anyone else notice the footrace Nick lost? I believe it was in the 2nd period. He was skating in our zone towards the corner after a loose puck when the Pens forward blew right by him. Nick went into damage control mode and forced the play behind the net, but this was a perfect example of what I've been talking about. If this had happened at the blueline rather than 20 feet from the corner it would have resulted in a breakaway.

The lack of speed is really affecting his game this year. He's adapting, sure, but it makes him less effective than he was before. Nick is slowly (no pun intended) turning into Larry Murphy right before our very eyes.
Less effective than he was before, but no less effective than the vast majority of other NHL defensemen.

Old
12-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Higgy4

I give up.

Last week people on here were ready to let this guy go off the glue factory after the season.

Now...3 games later...we have a Lidstrom for Norris thread.

Old
12-13-2005, 01:44 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Lidstrom&Schneider >Mccabe&kaberle

Old
12-13-2005, 02:00 AM
Howard35

Quote:
My top 3 right now are Ohlund, McCabe and Pitkanen. I'd fill out the top 5 with Chara and, hmm, maybe Visnovsky.
i would definitely say pitk, but he hurt his chances by being injured, someone is gonna pass him up, u cant give a norris trophy to a kid who had a great first half but then got hurt, sucks tho because i was about to type him in there for top 3 but i couldnt and it sucked. thats ok, hes got about another 15-20 years where he will win a few

Old
12-13-2005, 02:07 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
That would be also be my list. Visnovsky is making a strong case for himself...by scoring a lot of points.

My 5 would be Lidstrom then, very solid as the season progresses

Old
12-13-2005, 04:05 AM
Hendo2k

Send a message via ICQ to Hendo2k Send a message via AIM to Hendo2k Send a message via Yahoo to Hendo2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldark
He's been great defensively all season still.
no

he hasnt

Closed Thread