HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

If the Playoffs started today

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2005, 09:29 AM
SensRbest

vCash: 500
If the Playoffs started today

Sens (1) Vs Leafs (8)

I really wouldn't be worried at all about it this time, Sens would win it in 6 or maybe 5.

Old
12-12-2005, 09:32 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

If the playoffs started today, we wouldn't have Redden, Havlat or Spezza in the lineup.

Old
12-12-2005, 09:37 AM
SensRbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
If the playoffs started today, we wouldn't have Redden, Havlat or Spezza in the lineup.

True but don't you think that Muckler would have gone for another forward, and even with Spezza and Redden not in the lineup for a few games we still have a terrific D, and we don't have Lalime (remember ?)

Old
12-12-2005, 09:39 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensRbest
True but don't you think that Muckler would have gove for another forward, and even with Spezza and Redden not in the lineup for a few games we still have a terrific D, and we don't have Lalime (remember ?)
I promised myself that I would never underestimate the Leafs again in the playoffs, and I will hold to that promise.

I don't care who they have in the lineup, who we have, what our records are, how we've been playing lately, etc.

Toronto has earned enough respect against us over the years with their 4 playoff victories to be considered a huge obstacle in any playoff run by the Senators.

Old
12-12-2005, 09:47 AM
SenatorusFanaticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
I promised myself that I would never underestimate the Leafs again in the playoffs, and I will hold to that promise.

I don't care who they have in the lineup, who we have, what our records are, how we've been playing lately, etc.

Toronto has earned enough respect against us over the years with their 4 playoff victories to be considered a huge obstacle in any playoff run by the Senators.
I absolutely agree, NyQuil. That said, I want to see Sens-Leafs in the first round of the playoffs. I think the best thing for the Sens would be to face Toronto early and beat them decisively. It would be a huge morale booster at a time when (historically speaking) the Sens' morale has often been less than soaring. Also, if we don't face Toronto in the playoffs, it's still an unresolved rivalry, even if we win the Stanley Cup.

Old
12-12-2005, 09:52 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorusFanaticus
I absolutely agree, NyQuil. That said, I want to see Sens-Leafs in the first round of the playoffs. I think the best thing for the Sens would be to face Toronto early and beat them decisively. It would be a huge morale booster at a time when (historically speaking) the Sens' morale has often been less than soaring. Also, if we don't face Toronto in the playoffs, it's still an unresolved rivalry, even if we win the Stanley Cup.
Well, at some point we will beat the Leafs.

Whether it's this season or not, who knows? Whether it's part of some greater Cup run or not, who knows?

I'm ambivalent at this point.

On the one hand, it'd be a big morale boost, but on the other, would our players see the playoff as a success just from having beaten one team, as some Leaf fans typically do when evaluating their playoffs?

Also, if the series is mean-spirited and physical, as it is likely to be, what are our chances after getting out of the next round, if we do win? The Leafs have never won a round after beating us.

If we don't face the Leafs, and manage to earn some success, I could really care less about the unresolved rivalry.

If Leaf fans say, "Well, you didn't beat us..." after us somehow managing to win the Cup, the easy response is, "Well, if you'd bothered to make it far enough, we would have had the opportunity."

It's the Cup that counts, not the Leafs. Defeating the Leafs in the playoffs will occur at some point, so there's no point worrying about it until it happens.

Old
12-13-2005, 01:07 AM
RTWAP*

I'd rather not face the Leafs. If we do, I hope it's not until later in the playoffs. If we faced them early and beat them then I worry that we'll coast through the first few games of the next round. Kind of like a playoff equivalent of our loss to Philly this year.

Old
12-13-2005, 05:38 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorusFanaticus
I think the best thing for the Sens would be to face Toronto early and beat them decisively. It would be a huge morale booster at a time when (historically speaking) the Sens' morale has often been less than soaring.
While there would certainly be a measure of satisfaction if Ottawa were to beat the Leafs in the playoffs (note: if), I'd actually be a bit worried about an emotional come-down after such a series. The Leafs have never won a playoff series after a 'Battle of Ontario' - which is not to say that this team couldn't, but I'd just as soon the team not face that kind of emotional side-show if they're to be making a deep playoff run... making a serious run at a Stanley Cup carries with it more than enough adversity and challenge for even the best teams. Of course if it happens it happens, but I'm not sure I'd be exactly seeking it out come April.

Closed Thread