HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Islander fan with a question

Old
12-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Bauer Warrior*

vCash: 500
Islander fan with a question

I'm an Islander fan for over 30 years, and I'm disgusted with what's happened to the team. So my question to Ranger fans is; is beating the Islanders even satisfying? We've been the laughing stock of the league for, let's just say, at least 10 years, and it's longer than that in reality. But I haven't gotten the jitters for an Islander v. Ranger game in several years, and it's not because of the Rangers. The Islanders have just been flat terrible, but you guys know that. So again, is beating the Islanders satisfying? Wouldn't it mean more to you if both teams were good? God, it's got to be hard for you guys to gloat, because even most Islander fans know the team sucks.

Blame falls squarely on Wang.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:35 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

They're just another team to me...

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:36 PM
mike14

when you go through a stretch like the Rangers did prior to the lockout, winning any game is a still a great feeling

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I'm not that pumped to play them. I know it's a rivalry and I look for these games on the schedule, but it's like beating anon-rival team.

Last edited by Florida Ranger: 12-26-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:38 PM
mrhockey193195

Beating the Isles is satisfying, because you guys usually bring your A game against us, and it's never a gimme. But yea, overall I would say the rivalry suffers when one or both teams don't play well. I have considered the Devils to be bigger rivals for the past 15 years.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:39 PM
lebear
I have no idea

It is, because it's a derby. Although Rangers are winning most of the games, the Islanders still have a tendency to put up a fight (even if they're in the bottom of the league).

NYR vs. NYI games usually have a great competitive atmosphere, making a victory even sweeter

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:39 PM
redbranch

Up until this season, these games seemed to have nothing to do with their places in the standings. They were always hard fought games in which the rangers were often outworked. So yeah, these games always got my blood up.

To me, games like this are a measuring stick. Do they win games they should? Are they willing to match the intensity of the other team, and take it to them? This year, the answer is yes more often than not.

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:40 PM
alves

I usually get that "feeling" when we play the Isles, a mixture of excitement and nervousness. They're just another team to me now. While there may be a little more enjoyment out of beating them than other teams, it's not even close to what it used to be. This is based on watching it on TV, going to a game is different because you're a part of the atmosphere, so going to these games is still very exciting.

alves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:40 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Don't really care for the Isles.

Im only 20 so I didn't grow up when the rivalry was at its best. They're below the Devils, Flyers, and Pens as my hated teams.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Achene*

Yes. Rangers-Islanders games are always entertaining, regardless of the teams' records.

Achene* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:41 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
I'm an Islander fan for over 30 years, and I'm disgusted with what's happened to the team. So my question to Ranger fans is; is beating the Islanders even satisfying? We've been the laughing stock of the league for, let's just say, at least 10 years, and it's longer than that in reality. But I haven't gotten the jitters for an Islander v. Ranger game in several years, and it's not because of the Rangers. The Islanders have just been flat terrible, but you guys know that. So again, is beating the Islanders satisfying? Wouldn't it mean more to you if both teams were good? God, it's got to be hard for you guys to gloat, because even most Islander fans know the team sucks.

The Isles always play us incredibly hard, regardless of their overall record. So we don't take anything for granted. Still, at this point we're clearly the better team, so it's a sense of expected satisfaction. And winning is always fun, so it's still a good feeling irrespective of the opponent's strength.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Hell yes.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Beating the Isles is satisfying, because you guys usually bring your A game against us, and it's never a gimme. But yea, overall I would say the rivalry suffers when one or both teams don't play well. I have considered the Devils to be bigger rivals for the past 15 years.
This just might be the saddest statement I've ever read.

Old
12-26-2011, 08:44 PM
darko

Beating Isles is always satisfying for me. Hate losing to that team. Same goes for Devils.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:44 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
yea im still not used to being a pretty good team yet, and im still cautious as to whether we are because we were bad for so long. its good to beat the isles for sure, would feel better if yall had a more quality side, but the isles have played the rangers pretty well the last few years anyway

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvesNYR View Post
I usually get that "feeling" when we play the Isles, a mixture of excitement and nervousness. They're just another team to me now. While there may be a little more enjoyment out of beating them than other teams, it's not even close to what it used to be. This is based on watching it on TV, going to a game is different because you're a part of the atmosphere, so going to these games is still very exciting.
I guess it's different when you expect to win.

Old
WeWillWinTonight

Any win is obviously satisfying. Just because they are low in the standings it is still the NHL and any team can beat any team on any night. And that's without even mentioning anything about rivalries

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
For me, I would much rather beat the Devils, Flyers, Capitals, and Canadians. But beating you guys is always fun too

12-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Pizza

....Do we answer questions from Islander fans here

Seriously, I hate and will always hate the Islanders. It goes back a long way for me. So....beating the Islanders will always be satisfying. I just love when my team wins, but defeating a rival (and yes the Islanders are always rivals) is special.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2860
Honestly the Islanders are my least hated team in the division, but I always enjoy when the Rangers beat them.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:47 PM
skroob**

Beating the islanders as a team is not that big a deal right now.

However, i do get great joy from it when talking with Islander fan friends the following day.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:48 PM
OverTheCap

I grew up in Long Island, and the Islanders always play us hard, so a win against the Isles is always satisfying to me.

But the rivalry doesn't have the same edge that it used to. The last time the rivalry had that amped up playoff type feel was in 2007... DiPietro's 54 save shootout loss at the Garden, Hollweg-Simon incident, Dubielewicz shootout win, etc.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Every win is satisfying. End of story.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:49 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Beating the Isles is satisfying due to being another 2 points, and for some reason the Isles always playing very well against the Rangers.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post

I would prefer it if the Isles were good. They have the tools but for whatever reason Wang just is too cheap to provide a tool box. If they would hire a decent NHL calibre coach that would be a huge step in the right direction.