HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Flyers Prospects and Phantoms Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Prospect Update:

Ranford: 18th in the WHL in scoring and rising, 6 goals, 14 assists for 20 points in his last 12 games. Total: 32GM, 18G, 23A, 41PTS

Noebels: 25GM, 9G, 11A, 20PTS. Good for 2nd on the team in scoring for the 2nd worst offense in the league.

Blidstrand: 24GM 3G, 6A, 9PTS. Nice to see he's showing a some semblance of offensive ability.

Cousins: 13th in the OHL in scoring with 33GM, 16G, 25A, 41PTS. Leading scorer on his team by 12 points.

Mathers: 34GM, 4G, 3A, 7PTS 109PIM

Suellentrop: 34GM, 2G, 8A, 10PTS

Placek: 7GM, 0G, 0A

Luukko: 16GM, 0G, 3A, 3PTS

Parks: 18GM, 2G, 1A, 3PTS

Hovinen: 14-4-4, 1.94GAA, .929SV%, 4SO

GAA is 4th in the league, 3rd in shutouts, and 5th in SV%.
I've had a chance recently to watch some OHL games (package comes with CentreIce here).

Cousins - small, feisty agitator with good speed and skills. Gets compared to Steve Ott and Sean Avery, but reminds me of Derek Roy in his stature/skating style. He's always in the play, has the puck a lot, and does good things with it. Hits when he gets his chances. Even the opposition commentators who hate him accept he's destined for an NHL career.

Suellentrop - Good solid all around dman. Steady, smooth, efficient. Nothing extraordinary but reliable. Gets good minutes in all situations. Reminds me of former Flyer Gord Murphy.

Mathers - Gets good icetime for a big, hitting goonish type. Reminds me of Dave Brown in his upright skating style. Shows surprisingly good passing hands, goes to the net well, but he needs work on his skating to get a pro career.

My 2 cents.

Old
12-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Flyers1974

Thank you for the update! Good to know how the kids are doing!

Old
12-21-2011, 11:57 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Czech win first exhibition game 7-1. Hyka with 2 goals.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I've had a chance recently to watch some OHL games (package comes with CentreIce here).

Cousins - small, feisty agitator with good speed and skills. Gets compared to Steve Ott and Sean Avery, but reminds me of Derek Roy in his stature/skating style. He's always in the play, has the puck a lot, and does good things with it. Hits when he gets his chances. Even the opposition commentators who hate him accept he's destined for an NHL career.

Suellentrop - Good solid all around dman. Steady, smooth, efficient. Nothing extraordinary but reliable. Gets good minutes in all situations. Reminds me of former Flyer Gord Murphy.

Mathers - Gets good icetime for a big, hitting goonish type. Reminds me of Dave Brown in his upright skating style. Shows surprisingly good passing hands, goes to the net well, but he needs work on his skating to get a pro career.

My 2 cents.

I was disappointed that we drafted Cousins ahead of Catenacci. But from everything Ive heard this year he is destined to have an NHL career where as Catenacci is the type of player who if he isnt in the top 6 he may be lost, and Cousins can play just about any line.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:17 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Czech win first exhibition game 7-1. Hyka with 2 goals.
Still annoys me. If you're only job is to know the CBA and once or twice every year you screw it up.... pronger, talbot, hyka. It's like having a mathematician who can't count.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:31 PM
bryzgalovsky*

does anyone know why the phantoms changed their mascot from phlex to this doofus?

probably the worst mascot that ever existed to be honest

Old
12-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I was disappointed that we drafted Cousins ahead of Catenacci. But from everything Ive heard this year he is destined to have an NHL career where as Catenacci is the type of player who if he isnt in the top 6 he may be lost, and Cousins can play just about any line.
I haven't seen much of Catenacci, but from watching Cousins, has really good speed and runs the PP from the sideboards pretty well.

He embellishes a lot and gets nailed heavily a lot too, but he seems fine with that. If he ends up as another Harry Z, that would be great, if he ends up higher up the chain that's fine too.

I caught most of his game with OHL vs. Russian selects and his line only scored once in a rout, but they had loads of chances. A couple times they just missed, but drew penalties and the PP scored right after. It was 5-0 after the first so the game was a laugher. Still Cousins didn't look out of place centreing a line vs. good competition. He may not have earned a WJC invite, but that doesn't mean he won't play for the Flyers someday.

Old
12-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
does anyone know why the phantoms changed their mascot from phlex to this doofus?

Team doctors should check this mascot out. Looks like post concussion syndrome.

Old
12-21-2011, 04:32 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I haven't seen much of Catenacci, but from watching Cousins, has really good speed and runs the PP from the sideboards pretty well.

He embellishes a lot and gets nailed heavily a lot too, but he seems fine with that. If he ends up as another Harry Z, that would be great, if he ends up higher up the chain that's fine too.

I caught most of his game with OHL vs. Russian selects and his line only scored once in a rout, but they had loads of chances. A couple times they just missed, but drew penalties and the PP scored right after. It was 5-0 after the first so the game was a laugher. Still Cousins didn't look out of place centreing a line vs. good competition. He may not have earned a WJC invite, but that doesn't mean he won't play for the Flyers someday.
Cousins is going to be a beast for the Flyers. He'll end up getting moved to the wing, but he's going to be a top goal scorer for this team for years to come.

I think what people don't realize is that Cousins already has two NHL caliber skills - shooting and skating. He's also a very under rated passer and his two way game is excellent. He's been a proven point producer at every level he's ever performed at and he just keeps getting better and better - kind of sounds like a player the Flyers drafted a few years back out of Gatineau in the Quebec League. A lot of people questioned whether it was a good pick or not and every year, he just got continually better and better. When he finally reached the pros, his game also got better and better.

Old
12-22-2011, 02:07 AM
mirimon

Another loss in the final seconds for the Phantoms. Connecticut's Pavel Valentenko made it 3-2 with only 16 seconds left on the clock. That's the fourth game of the last eight that they've lost in the final minute of either regulation or overtime, and in those eight games the Phantoms have scored only two goals or less six times. A little bit alarming, perhaps. They are missing a lot of key personnel though. A few callups, injuries to Wellwood and Bartulis.

Entering the Christmas break they are very much still in the playoff race though. They are tied for the final spot, I believe. Only four points separate the 6th and the 12th team in their conference though, so this habit of losing points late in the games can turn out to be very costly.

Testwuide had a goal, second game in a row after going scoreless for 22 games. That first goal was an empty netter as well. McGinn had the second Phantoms goal. Marshall was back with the Phantoms, but unfortunately he came out of the game -2. Bacashihua in net saved 24 of 27 shots.

Old
12-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:

Wow, that is dumb. I always hated the Montreal Expos mascot. This new Phantoms one actually looks like its mutant offspring.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:06 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Entering the Christmas break they are very much still in the playoff race though. They are tied for the final spot, I believe. Only four points separate the 6th and the 12th team in their conference though, so this habit of losing points late in the games can turn out to be very costly.
As it stands, the Phantoms are in 9th place as they have the same amount of points as the 8th place Sharks, but have played 2 more games then the Sharks have.

It looks like the big reason that the Phantoms are even in the race is because of Leighton. 2.37 GAA, .923 save %age yet his record is 11-10. With numbers like that you would expect to have a much better win/loss record.

Old
12-23-2011, 07:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
Former Flyers draft pick Mario Kempe with a shootout winner and strange celebration afterward.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
12-23-2011, 08:05 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:

The Brick Tamland of mascots

Old
12-23-2011, 08:43 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Former Flyers draft pick Mario Kempe with a shootout winner and strange celebration afterward.

What even happened to him? Wasn't he supposed to be a steal?

Old
12-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Beastieboy

Anybody tracking the Flyers prospects in the WJHC? Do they have any playing? I noticed for some reason the TSN site only lists the NHL team for the Canadian roster and not for any of the other countries. And our Canadian kid (Couturier) is not available (clearly). Isn't there usually a WJHC thread here?

Old
12-26-2011, 09:49 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
Anybody tracking the Flyers prospects in the WJHC? Do they have any playing? I noticed for some reason the TSN site only lists the NHL team for the Canadian roster and not for any of the other countries. And our Canadian kid (Couturier) is not available (clearly). Isn't there usually a WJHC thread here?
We don't have any in the top division, but Marcel Noebels was on Team Germany(who went undefeated, promoting them back into the top division next year) and was 3rd in the tournament in scoring with 4 goals, and 5 assists in 5 games.

Old
12-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Beastieboy

Wow. Not a single prospect in the WJHC. Good thing we have the market on these undrafted college free agents. Thanks for the info Billyshoe. Are there any other NHL teams without a player in the tournament?

Old
12-27-2011, 01:20 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
Wow. Not a single prospect in the WJHC. Good thing we have the market on these undrafted college free agents. Thanks for the info Billyshoe. Are there any other NHL teams without a player in the tournament?
I don't think Toronto or Carolina has any either.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Cousins is going to be a beast for the Flyers. He'll end up getting moved to the wing, but he's going to be a top goal scorer for this team for years to come.

I think what people don't realize is that Cousins already has two NHL caliber skills - shooting and skating. He's also a very under rated passer and his two way game is excellent. He's been a proven point producer at every level he's ever performed at and he just keeps getting better and better - kind of sounds like a player the Flyers drafted a few years back out of Gatineau in the Quebec League. A lot of people questioned whether it was a good pick or not and every year, he just got continually better and better. When he finally reached the pros, his game also got better and better.
Our forward depth is getting sick. Who do you compare him to who is currently playing in the NHL? Someone mentioned a better Steve Ott.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I'm not sure about Toronto, but Carolina has Gregory Hofmann, who's playing for Switzerland. I haven't yet watched yesterday's game against Russia, but I though he was their best player (apart from maybe Haas) in the pre-tournament game against Canada. If I was to base my opinion of him on one game only, I'd definitely say he's a steal for a fourth-rounder.

Carolina also has Faulk, but they didn't release him, so in that regard, it's the same as with us and Cotourier, who I'm guessing would've made the team.

Old
12-27-2011, 03:35 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Our forward depth is getting sick. Who do you compare him to who is currently playing in the NHL? Someone mentioned a better Steve Ott.
Marchand

Old
12-28-2011, 10:54 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Brad Marchand is a very good comparison. I also liken Cousins to Steve Downie in the sense that he's very skilled, but a pain to play against. Derek Roy is another name that Cousins compares favourably to as well.

Old
12-28-2011, 11:06 AM
BringBackStevens

Demolition for the Phantom's new arena is scheduled to start January 3rd and they expect to have the Phantoms in the building for the 2013-2014 season

Old
12-29-2011, 01:36 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Another update. Toronto has (at least) Petter Granberg, the Swedish defenseman, and Carolina also has Victor Rask, also Swedish, and currently playing for the Calgary Hitmen in WHL. So I'm not sure whether that makes us the only team without a prospect or not, but I'll report back if I find out.

Closed Thread