HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Shea Weber - Concussion - day-to-day (video)

Old
12-26-2011, 11:25 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

vCash: 500
Shea Weber - Concussion - day-to-day (video)

http://www.examiner.com/nashville-pr...m-mark-fistric

"In the closing minutes of Nashville’s final game before the Christmas break, Weber was hit with a flying elbow from Dallas defenseman Mark Fistric. On the hit, Fistric’s elbow appeared to hit Weber in the lower part of the jaw.

Weber took part in a very brief portion of the team’s morning skate Monday before leaving the ice. Following the skate, Predators head coach Barry Trotz said that he did not know the status of Weber for the game, as he had not had time to talk to the training staff at that point."

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...Ctext%7CSports

"The Predators recalled defenseman Ryan Ellis from Milwaukee of the American Hockey League on Monday. Nashville’s first round draft pick in 2009, Ellis has 17 points in 26 games with the Admirals this season.

Weber played in all 82 regular season games last season as well as all 12 of Nashville’s playoff games."

Video:

Weber has had one very serious concussion in his career that I know of. That one happenned in 2004 when he we was still in the WHL playing for the Kelowna Rockets:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=53652

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 12-27-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: injury update
JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:35 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I think he had another when travis moen got in a haymaker at the end of a fight ealry in his nashville days

edit: looked it up and this was listed as a "jaw injury" but he was knocked out and so even if it wasnt called one he probably had a concussion then. but he only missed three games so maybe he will recover quickly from another blow to the jaw this time

Last edited by PredsV82: 12-26-2011 at 11:44 PM.
PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:10 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I think he had another when travis moen got in a haymaker at the end of a fight ealry in his nashville days

edit: looked it up and this was listed as a "jaw injury" but he was knocked out and so even if it wasnt called one he probably had a concussion then. but he only missed three games so maybe he will recover quickly from another blow to the jaw this time
I see what you mean...

Moen and Weber, are former teammates again in Kelowna, playing together briefly during Shea's first season in the WHL. I'm sure they see each other all the time at the annual alumni weekends.

Old
12-27-2011, 03:46 AM
torero

Fistric has already been involved in other dirty hits aimed at taking out or hurt seriously the opponent.

you see well the hit at 0.48

Fistric seems to keep heading for the ... head with the shoulder.
surprisingly in the same way. Surprising because Fistric was suspended some games by Shanahan for the above deed.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:03 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

When Tootoo or Weber makes that exact same hit, we cheer it. Just look at our lack of outrage on the hit Weber put on Ryder earlier in that game.

The Fistric hit on Nino ... Nino has his head down, Fistric comes in for a hard shoulder check and catches him high with the skates leaving the ice after contact. A player gets injured so Shannahan takes action after there was nothing called on the ice. Fistric's on ice penalty was for the roughing afterwards.

The hit on Weber ... Shea's head is down looking back as Fistric comes over. This is such an egregious act that nobody here complained about it Friday when it was covered live on FSN-TN ... from where I was sitting in the front row of the 300 level on that end line it didn't look dirty live ... and suddenly 48 hours after the video gets onto youtube we're up in arms. From that angle you can't see if the point of impact is Shea's face or his chest. Fistric does appear to hit with the shoulder/upper portion of his left arm ... not the elbow.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:57 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Announced as a concussion ... day to day.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:22 PM
markie8002000

Trotz said he's progressing well and is possible for Friday....

markie8002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:29 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
great ****ing news!!

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:42 PM
pekkaslap

I hope they treat this with respect and don't try to rush him back too quick. I mean, it's painfully obvious how important he is to the team, but it's not worth him coming back, making it worse, and losing him for months.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:56 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Which in trotz speak means he will be out for at least a month

I'm thinking that statement is probably just an attempt to try to keep us from getting totally bent over by whatever GM Poile is talking to

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Legionnaire11

No injury is good, especially the concussion type and especially to your captain... But it's been apparent for a while that the team needs another big vet d-man to really solidify the 4th spot, and maybe this is what will finally force Poile get something done.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Which in trotz speak means he will be out for at least a month

I'm thinking that statement is probably just an attempt to try to keep us from getting totally bent over by whatever GM Poile is talking to
you never know man.. its better than the crosby diagnosis. must be positive

Old
12-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
I know he's trying to give some stability to the situation but if we've learned anything this year it's that concussion symptoms are very unpredictable.

Here's hoping for the best. Just means more icetime for Ellis, lets see what the kid can do.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:06 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The more I've watched the video, the more I see this as a routine play gone bad for us. Weber pinches, makes contact with Nystrom as he goes for the puck, gets his head low and is looking back for the puck, Fistric reads the Weber pinch and moves across for a check as the puck comes around the boards ... bad body position put Weber's head just below Fistric's shoulder. At the time of impact, Fistric's elbow is next to his hip, not up ... looks like his skates are on the ice (hard to tell from camera angle) ... just what we like to see from our players with a bad result this time.

No reaction from any player as though this was a dirty hit ... including Weber. No reaction from our broadcasters. No outcry from Cooper at the time of the event although he was in the building.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:28 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

It's nearly impossible to tell from the angle, but it does seem like an elbow and a bit of a "lunge" (as Shanny calls it) into the hit. Whatever. Get better soon, Webs. We need you

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:25 PM
NoNecksCurse

wow weber really is a big name.. he was just on sportscenter.. with a story about concussions.. sc also said he was an UFA. RFA, right? just wanting to reassure myself... haha

Old
12-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
wow weber really is a big name.. he was just on sportscenter.. with a story about concussions.. sc also said he was an UFA. RFA, right? just wanting to reassure myself... haha
RFA ... team has no arbitration rights next year

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 02:01 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It's nearly impossible to tell from the angle, but it does seem like an elbow and a bit of a "lunge" (as Shanny calls it) into the hit. Whatever. Get better soon, Webs. We need you
Here it is somewhat frame by frame...

Old
12-28-2011, 02:09 AM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
When Tootoo or Weber makes that exact same hit, we cheer it. Just look at our lack of outrage on the hit Weber put on Ryder earlier in that game.

The Fistric hit on Nino ... Nino has his head down, Fistric comes in for a hard shoulder check and catches him high with the skates leaving the ice after contact. A player gets injured so Shannahan takes action after there was nothing called on the ice. Fistric's on ice penalty was for the roughing afterwards.

The hit on Weber ... Shea's head is down looking back as Fistric comes over. This is such an egregious act that nobody here complained about it Friday when it was covered live on FSN-TN ... from where I was sitting in the front row of the 300 level on that end line it didn't look dirty live ... and suddenly 48 hours after the video gets onto youtube we're up in arms. From that angle you can't see if the point of impact is Shea's face or his chest. Fistric does appear to hit with the shoulder/upper portion of his left arm ... not the elbow.
On both plays he was clearly aiming high... Theres no effing way he ends up 3-4 feet off the ice on the Niederreiter hit if his force isnt primarily in the vertical direction and I just watched this hit multiple times and hes clearly going high again. Even if their heads are down (which I dont believe they were) theres nowhere else this guy can aim for other than up high?

He get a hearing/suspension? I think its worthy of one, but im certainly no expert on the subject

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:17 AM
cleangene

Skates are off the ice. PREDS CAPTAIN hit in the head and concussed. Nuff said.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:53 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Skates are off the ice. PREDS CAPTAIN hit in the head and concussed. Nuff said.
Doesn't look like he left the ice until the follow through. His skates were on the ice when contact was made.

And I think the NHL would say Weber was falling at the time which led to incidental head contact.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I was pretty upset with the hit when it happened but shrugged it off when weber kept playing. Looked like a bit of a headshot to me but what do I know.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:56 AM
token grinder

I am sorry, that is a clean hit, and I hate that it was. Fistric skates leave the ice on the follow through, which we know happens when you hit someone. The only reason it is a headshot is because weber is crouched down. It isn't like Fistric is coming in elbows high either. Looks like Weber sees the hit coming and even raises his arm to protect him self. I would guess Fistric would barrel into Webers chest had weber not tried to protect himself.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

It's not charging (his skates don't leave the ice until after the hit), but that elbow to the face is pretty obvious. It's a tough call though because Weber was in the process of falling down as he got hit, so his head was elbow level high. If Weber hadn't lost balance right before the hit, it would be a perfect shoulder to chest hit and no injury. Just an unfortunate play really.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote