HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islander fan with a question

Old
12-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

vCash: 500
The satisfaction comes from knowing how much the Islanders would love to beat the Rangers, and denying them that satisfaction.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:54 PM
McMonster

As long as Islander fans keep doing the chicken dance, beating them will always be satisfying.

Keep chanting 1940, 1 in 70, or whatever else you want to say. We'll just keep winning hockey games.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Giacomin

I grew up following the Rangers in the early 70,s and watched the Islanders overtake us and stomp us for a good 15 years not counting 1979. ( I was a fan of the LI Ducks before the Islanders existed) so the Islanders will always be are greatest rival. I almost laugh when I hear young fans say they consider the Devils, Flyers and especially the Pens better rivals. Time may change things but there was no more of a passionate rivalry locally than the Rangers/Isles from Parise,s goal to the Rangers sweep in 1994 unfortunately we almost always were on the short end. We all remember the :1940: chant and it was the Islander fans who did this. We had the last laugh as the otvin Sucks: chant will last forever among are diehard fans,especially those who lived through that period!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:02 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

The fact that someone who has been an Islander fan for 30 years, came in here, whimpering with his tail between his legs and made this thread...is VERY satisfying! hahaha

Let's Go Rangers!!

"Mercy is for the weak!"

Mark "Mr. Softie" Streit should NOT be your Captain, and your coach needs to go. Just my 2 cents.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Lerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
The satisfaction comes from knowing how much the Islanders would love to beat the Rangers, and denying them that satisfaction.
Yup!

Lerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:13 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
I'm an Islander fan for over 30 years, and I'm disgusted with what's happened to the team. So my question to Ranger fans is; is beating the Islanders even satisfying? We've been the laughing stock of the league for, let's just say, at least 10 years, and it's longer than that in reality. But I haven't gotten the jitters for an Islander v. Ranger game in several years, and it's not because of the Rangers. The Islanders have just been flat terrible, but you guys know that. So again, is beating the Islanders satisfying? Wouldn't it mean more to you if both teams were good? God, it's got to be hard for you guys to gloat, because even most Islander fans know the team sucks.

Blame falls squarely on Wang.
Can't speak for anyone else, but I am an older guy and when I started watching this game (mid-late 70's) with the Islanders still very new to the league, they were the first team I hated. That hate grew through your well deserved dynasty.

I have taken joy in every win the Rangers have had over the Islanders franchise from when I first started watching up through today.

I feel bad for you guys, but not enough to not enjoy when the Rangers win.

as for who's right or wrong in this situation, I can't say I would do anything different if I were Wang. Even with a payroll as low as it is, he's losing money in that building. I can't say that I would do anything different and I personally would have moved already.

I prefer to have both teams competitive, the only team I want to see living in the basement in the new division set up is the Devils.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Beating the Isles is the greatest feeling, along with the Flyers.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Miller Time NYR

beating thems always fun since their the isles, but as far as rivals go and who id rather win against their behind the flyers,devils,pens,caps

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:27 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

I became a hockey fan in 86, after the Islanders 4 cup. So I've been a fan for 2 playoff series, and the Sticks have won ONE game. So to me, I've always considered the Devils to be THE rivalry for me. Even before I married my Devils fan wife..they've just always been the team, I DON'T want to lose to.

That said, for some reason, yes..I do get satisfaction out of the Rangers beating you them..maybe cause they always play us hard, maybe cause of the few years they were better then us in the early 2000's when they started getting cocky with their "make the playoffs" chants, maybe just cause my dad ingrained it in to my head.."hate the Islanders" But I've always done the Potvin Sucks chant, and I never really even saw him play..it was just something I was taught.

Truth be told though, I would love if the Isles got good again, and made the playoffs. I want all 3 local teams in the playoffs.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Rangers1135

I'm so satisfying!

Rangers1135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:45 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Meh.

I lump them in with everyone else except the Flyers, Canadiens, Devils, and Pens.

If they were good, maybe. But they suck, so I expect a win.

12-26-2011, 09:53 PM
bmw2004

I would love to see Islanders as a contender. Hope this day is not that far a way. I remember couple of years back when Isles made the playoffs I was rooting for them.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:56 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I would love to see Islanders as a contender. Hope this day is not that far a way. I remember couple of years back when Isles made the playoffs I was rooting for them.
In an ideal world, for me, we'd be beating the Isles in the ECF every year. With the Devils/Penguins/Flyers some combination of fodder in the previous round.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Killem Dafoe
waf fi

like Christian Bale said in Batman Begins. "You're practice"

so i was happy to see Hags and Del Zotto get some points. i was happy to see Hank get a shutout and improve his stats. i was happy to see Gabby climb up the goal ladder. and the win to claim 1st in the league. your team didn't matter to me much. good question though. thanks for stopping by.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:31 PM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

I love beating the Islanders. I live on the Island so I'm surrounded by Isles fans, and the best part is rubbing the win in their faces.

EpicDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

The Isles are at the top of my most detested list with Pittsburgh and Philidelphia. Not only do I want to beat them, but beat them so bad that they are forced to move to Kansas City out of pure humiliation.

So yes, it still has meaning.

12-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Whenever we play the Islanders, I expect them to win every time. And when we don't, I am pissed.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:45 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Beating the Devils feels good...Sorry, but the Isles are just another team to me nowadays

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:05 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

Absolutely. The Islanders are that pesky team that plays better against you than they play against anybody else. They always seem to hang around and the game is in question till the very end.

And considering that I get more annoyed at a loss to the Islanders than just about anyone else. Yes.. very satisfying. Always great to beat a rival.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:33 PM
BigMamaBlueberry
R.I.P. Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I feel bad for you guys, but not enough to not enjoy when the Rangers win.

as for who's right or wrong in this situation, I can't say I would do anything different if I were Wang. Even with a payroll as low as it is, he's losing money in that building. I can't say that I would do anything different and I personally would have moved already.

I prefer to have both teams competitive, the only team I want to see living in the basement in the new division set up is the Devils.
I couldn't have said it more perfectly! I LOVE when the Rangers win against any team, but when we beat the Islanders there's a bit more of NY pride. Like a few others have said, the Isles always seem to bring it, regardless of where either team is in the standings. Usually they're damn fun games (unlike some of the snorefests we have against the Devils).

I sincerely wish the Islanders some sort of financial stability and solvency. Hope they get can get out of that horrible sinkhole of a lease. So much crap financially; must be nearly impossible for them to truly make long term moves. Bad luck injuries with people like DiPietro hasn't helped that in the slightest.

I would hope other Ranger fans can see it in their hearts to wish some modicum of success (business/administration/team-wise) to the Islanders so that they can stay where they are to keep this amazing rivalry alive for many decades to come.

BigMamaBlueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Fataldogg

I'm most satisfied when we beat the Devils. Best rivalry since the lockout. Previous to the lockout... I'd still say it was the Devils (although Sandy McCarthy and Theo Fleury made for some entertaining games against the Isles).

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:47 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Growing up, the Flyers were the bane of my existence as a Ranger fan. I was a toddler the last time the Islanders were a great team. They've had a few good teams since, but not many, and they never did to the Rangers what Eric Lindros and company did.

I always hated them, but not as much as the Flyers or Devils. These days, I still hate them, but truthfully I get more satisfaction out of beating the Canadiens, Pens and maybe even the Leafs, too. If the Islanders were better, it would probably be different.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:55 PM
bigdom1012

I was at the game tonite and a ranger fan said it best today he said he wished the isles were a better team n we were competing so this rivalry cld mean sonethin again...i remember just a few years ago every sports magazine had said that the rang/isles rivalry was the beat in all of sports

bigdom1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:11 AM
adam94
BU Terriers

Growing up on Long Island, a majority of people around me are naturally Islander fans. Isles are just another team to me, but when I hear Islander fans talking ****, it's nice to see them shut up

It's almost like a Yankees-Mets thing. Everyone knows who the better team is and, more often than not, the better team will come out on top.

If you are in fact a Mets fan as well, I apologize. If you're also a Jets fan, I'll load the gun for you.

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:12 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
The fact that someone who has been an Islander fan for 30 years, came in here, whimpering with his tail between his legs and made this thread...is VERY satisfying! hahaha

Let's Go Rangers!!

"Mercy is for the weak!"

Mark "Mr. Softie" Streit should NOT be your Captain, and your coach needs to go. Just my 2 cents.
You should go to the Islander board, you'll fit right in. We're all saying the same exact thing. It's a sad day when Islander and Ranger fans agree. Not because one fan base knows any more or less than the other, but this is supposed to be a rivalry. From our side, the rivalry is greatly diminished, because anything you say about our Islanders is pretty much right, and we know it!

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote