HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sign Alexander Semin (UFA) in the Offseason?

View Poll Results: Should the Flyers sign Semin in the off-season?
YES!!! He's the perfect linemate for Giroux. 0 0%
Yes, but only if the price is right. 6 6.32%
Maybe, I'd need to see what else is out there on the free agent market. 5 5.26%
No, I'm comfortable with our cheaper in-house options to pair with Giroux. 17 17.89%
NO!!!!! Alex "Sasha" Semin never gives full effort and isn't worth the money. 66 69.47%
No, I don't think he'll make it to free agency, the Caps will sign him long-term. 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-27-2011, 02:09 AM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Sign Alexander Semin (UFA) in the Offseason?

I was just thinking long-term about the players we have on this team and who would be playing w/ Claude Giroux when Jagr hangs em' up. This Jagr-Giroux-Hartnell thing we have going is beautiful, but I think we all need to recognize that Jagr is 39 going on 40 and that in even the most optimistic circumstances, all signs point to the 2012-2013 season being Jagr's curtain call in the NHL.

And after thinking for quite some time, I realized that I don't think we have a "star" caliber winger of sufficient skill to truly get the most out of G's game once Jagr is gone.

Sure Voracek could continue to develop, but I think it's a legitimate question whether or not he'll ever have the shot to make him an adequate #1 winger to pair w/ Giroux.

And sure JVR will likely (hopefully) continue to develop and may reach #1 winger status (hopefully a 40-40 guy down the road), but from the glimpse we saw this season, he didn't seem to have too much chemistry w/ Giroux. And if he does become a true power-forward, he'd be more a replacement for Hartnell on that line than for Jags IMO.

And looking at our other "internal" options (Read, Simmonds, Briere, etc.) I don't really see someone who would be ideal to replace Jagr on the Giroux line.

When thinking about the ideal linemate for Giroux, I'd want someone who:
- is a sniper with a sick shot: Giroux is like Forsberg in that he creates a lot of space / open ice for the other players on his line. He also frequently draws defenders out of position and gets defensemen to take their eyes off of their assignments. The ideal Giroux linemate is someone who can take advantage of this open ice and set up for a good one-timer / slapshot. And someone who is a known sniper and can pick the corners.

- has good top end speed & good acceleration: Giroux is an above-average skater in this league and is sneaky fast. The ideal linemate for him would be someone who can keep up... someone who is fast. Jags is great right now, but he does slow Giroux down some.

-Has good hands: Giroux is one of the best(if not THE best) passers in the NHL. If you are open, he will find you from any/all angles, even seemingly impossible ones. The ideal linemate for Giroux needs to have good hands to deposit Giroux's excellent passes into the top shelf w/ one-timers or deflections or tip-ins.

-Is solid on the puck, can change directions quickly, and can dangle defensemen: One of the major things Jagr is contributing to the Giroux line is that he is very strong on the puck and effortlessly dekes defenders to carry the puck into the zone. Giroux is also quite strong in this area of his game, but IMO the Harts-G-Jagr line is having so much success because they have 2 guys who can effortlessly clear the neutral zone. Having a linemate that can navigate the neutral zone w/ ease takes some of the pressure off of Giroux and allows him to find some open space for a pass / shot. Some of our best rushes this year have come w/ Jagr navigating the into the offensive zone and dishing to Giroux.
---------------------------------------------------------

Keeping the above list in mind, I think Alex Semin would be an ideal future linemate for Claude Giroux.

-IMO, Semin is the pre-eminent sniper in the game. He has the absolute most wicked wrist-shot in the entire NHL and a top-10 slapshot too. If you disagree, watch the videos at the bottom and then tell me what you think.

-Semin also has himself an incredible pair of hands... some of the best in the entire NHL and is quite good @ setting himself up for one-timers.

-Semin is also notably quite fast on his skates and certainly wouldn't slow Giroux down.

-And finally, Semin is certainly solid on the puck, can change directions quickly, and he has dangles/dekes for days and days. He would have no trouble carrying the puck through the neutral zone for the Giroux line.

---------------------------------------

Semin is 27 years old, right smack dab in the middle of his prime, the perfect age for a #1 winger to pair w/ Giroux.

And to answer the questions that I'm sure are coming, yes Semin is having a poor year right now. But part of the problem for him is that he hasn't had a center like Giroux to play with exclusively. He's been relegated to the 2nd line in Washington for much of the season. And even when he is on the first line, he's the 3rd fiddle to the Backstrom-Ovechkin show.

But there is a positive that will come out of Semin's poor play this year: the price for him in free-agency will go down. He won't even be able to think about getting a long-term deal @ his current cap hit of 6.7M... the price should come down to around 5.5M, 5.75M, somewhere in there... and paired with Giroux, Semin could and should return to being a 40 goal scorer, perhaps even a 50 goal scorer.

So what do my fellow Flyers fans think? Would you like to see Sasha in Philly?

Semin Highlights:

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:18 AM
Amateur Hour

Semin's a female dog, and Giroux hates him with a passion. Pass.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:18 AM
mypunkrock

If he can't play defense, he isn't coming here.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:19 AM
YuioIklo

I wouldn't really want him. Not a player I really like.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:21 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Semin's a female dog, and Giroux hates him with a passion. Pass.
Any evidence that Giroux hates him with a passion?

Old
12-27-2011, 02:22 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:23 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
If he can't play defense, he isn't coming here.
He can (and does) play defense a heck of a lot better than Danny Briere does.

He can have some effort issues on the defensive side of the puck, but so does Danny and everyone seems to love him.

Semin will NEVER get undressed for lack of effort the way Danny B. was by Landeskog on the 1st goal against Colorado.

I know everyone's all down on Semin right now, but you should try actually watching him play some time... he's a highly skilled player and with Giroux as his center, they could be magic.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:23 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

No.

Did we not learn anything from Zherdev?

Plus, our forward lineup is full. No room. No thanks.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:24 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Thank you as always for your amazing contribution of a .GIF to the thread.

I don't know what we'd do without you.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:26 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Thank you as always for your amazing contribution of a .GIF to the thread.

I don't know what we'd do without you.
You knew it was coming, just like I knew another proposal was coming.

The circle of life.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:27 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
No.

Did we not learn anything from Zherdev?

Plus, our forward lineup is full. No room. No thanks.
You don't think he's slightly different than Zherdev?

Semin is a former 40 goal scorer w/ the best wrist-shot in the game.

He also happens to quite skilled defensively (which is way more than you could ever say about Zherdev).

Old
12-27-2011, 02:28 AM
CerpinTaxt

Seems like a troll thread. Everytime Semin's name is mentioned on here, the majority bashes it.

Dont know if the OP actually thought he could convince people to like Alex Semin

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:30 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
You knew it was coming, just like I knew another proposal was coming.

The circle of life.
Silly me, I thought perhaps you had matured in the past 2 weeks and maybe you wouldn't get a kick out of patrolling the forums looking for opportunities to use the same recycled .GIFs for the 200th time.

I guess I was wrong.

Apparently, you still have the maturity of a 5th grader.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:30 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

he was a healthy scratch for a good bit of games iirc

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:32 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Any evidence that Giroux hates him with a passion?

Guess you don't remember this game from last season? Giroux didn't make it any secret how he felt about Semin.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:32 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Silly me, I thought perhaps you had matured in the past 2 weeks and maybe you wouldn't get a kick out of patrolling the forums looking for opportunities to use the same recycled .GIFs for the 200th time.

I guess I was wrong.

Apparently, you still have the maturity of a 5th grader.
You still over-react.

This is just going to be another thread where everyone says it's borderline retarded and you're going to defend it to the death.

Lastly, I've never used that ".GIF" before. No wonder your proposals are so horrid, you never do your research.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:33 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
Seems like a troll thread. Everytime Semin's name is mentioned on here, the majority bashes it.

Dont know if the OP actually thought he could convince people to like Alex Semin
Not a troll thread, just legitimately thought it might be a decent option. Like I said, Jagr won't play forever... this could conceivably be his last year depending on how it shakes out, how he feels, etc. and as good as Jake has been, he doesn't have the shooting ability right now to be a great compliment to Giroux.

And Giroux has obviously been great this year, but I doubt he's leading the league in scoring @ this point if Voracek is on his wing instead of Jagr...

I was just trying to think of a winger who might actually be available whose abilities would compliment Giroux well. Semin fits that bill IMO.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:33 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
You don't think he's slightly different than Zherdev?

Semin is a former 40 goal scorer w/ the best wrist-shot in the game.

He also happens to quite skilled defensively (which is way more than you could ever say about Zherdev).
Semin is highly skilled, soft, and selfish despite being much better defensively than most people believe (which still doesn't make him "good" defensively just not atrocious).

He's better than Zherdev from an outside perspective, but he's still someone who doesn't fit into the make-up of this team. I'm reluctant to bring in "odd eggs" so to speak when it comes to the locker room. Semin is the oddest egg imaginable. He does not fit.

Now, assuming that you skill want his skill and you feel my arguments to be petty...

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
vanRiemsdyk - Schenn - Briere
Simmonds - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Talbot - Sestito

Wellwood - Akeson - Zolnierczyk - Holmstrom ....etc

Plus Jagr, who I'd sign LONG before I signed Semin....

So where does that leave Semin?

This thread is pretty much a non-starter. Semin is not coming here.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:35 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:

Guess you don't remember this game from last season? Giroux didn't make it any secret how he felt about Semin.
Wait... he checked another player?

OH MY GOD.

Giroux checked Voracek a couple seasons back too... I can only imagine the animosity between the two of them in our locker room...

Old
12-27-2011, 02:37 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Wait... he checked another player?

OH MY GOD.

Giroux checked Voracek a couple seasons back too... I can only imagine the animosity between the two of them in our locker room...
Sigh... way to watch the rest of the video. Again, it's pretty obvious to me you didn't watch this game. I did, and I vividly remember Giroux giving it to Semin ALL game because your beloved Sasha was playing like a cheap punk.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:38 AM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
Not a troll thread, just legitimately thought it might be a decent option. Like I said, Jagr won't play forever... this could conceivably be his last year depending on how it shakes out, how he feels, etc. and as good as Jake has been, he doesn't have the shooting ability right now to be a great compliment to Giroux.

And Giroux has obviously been great this year, but I doubt he's leading the league in scoring @ this point if Voracek is on his wing instead of Jagr...

I was just trying to think of a winger who might actually be available whose abilities would compliment Giroux well. Semin fits that bill IMO.
So youre saying then that you didnt know the majority of the opinion of Flyers fans on Semin, or that you did know but thought you could convince them anyway?

Its fine having an opinion, and even voicing said opinion, but it just feels like you wanted to stir up trouble to me.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:42 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Semin is highly skilled, soft, and selfish despite being much better defensively than most people believe (which still doesn't make him "good" defensively just not atrocious).

He's better than Zherdev from an outside perspective, but he's still someone who doesn't fit into the make-up of this team. I'm reluctant to bring in "odd eggs" so to speak when it comes to the locker room. Semin is the oddest egg imaginable. He does not fit.

Now, assuming that you skill want his skill and you feel my arguments to be petty...

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
vanRiemsdyk - Schenn - Briere
Simmonds - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Talbot - Sestito

Wellwood - Akeson - Zolnierczyk - Holmstrom ....etc

Plus Jagr, who I'd sign LONG before I signed Semin....

So where does that leave Semin?

This thread is pretty much a non-starter. Semin is not coming here.
As far as Jagr goes, again, I see either 2011-12 or 2012-13 being his final season. I think it's highly unrealistic to expect him to play any longer than that... so he's not a long-term option.

And as I said, I don't see Voracek being a true #1 winger and I don't see him complimenting Giroux well @ all. Voracek is a pass-first winger who is very, very reluctant to shoot and he also has problems finishing. Giroux is also a pass-first guy, almost to a fault sometimes. The ideal winger for Giroux is someone who isn't afraid to shoot the puck. Voracek doesn't fit the bill.

In my scenario, ideally Briere would be asked for a list of 5 teams he'd accept a trade to, and then we'd trade him while we still can.

Long-term, the team would be:

Hartnell-Giroux-Semin
JVR-Schenn-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Sestito-Talbot-Rinaldo
Wellwood
Akeson

Old
12-27-2011, 02:47 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Sigh... way to watch the rest of the video. Again, it's pretty obvious to me you didn't watch this game. I did, and I vividly remember Giroux giving it to Semin ALL game because your beloved Sasha was playing like a cheap punk.
My "beloved Sasha"? I couldn't care less about the guy. Do I think he's a good player? Yes.

Do I think he'd improve the Flyers? Yes.

Do I think he'd be a good linemate for Giroux? Yes.

Do I think he's better all around than Briere? Heck yes.

But to say I "love" the guy is a total joke.

Btw, I did watch the entire clip and I did watch the game. Giroux and Semin were chirping at each other during ONE GAME. So what? Dear god I swear fans in here see one clip of guys jawing and would swear that they're mortal enemies and would kill each other if they ever saw each other in a dark alley.

Giroux and Semin are two very competitive guys. They will jaw back and forth @ each other all game. But @ the end of the day if Semin helps get the team closer to a Stanley Cup, does Giroux really seem like the kind of guy who would say "no I'm not playing with this guy, he called me names?".

I can tell you for a fact Giroux hates Malkin 100x more than he does Semin, but if Malkin was an option in free agency for this team, I'm sure Giroux would be the first guy to welcome him to the team.

If you need another example, see Pronger. I guarantee you 90% of this team f**king hated Chris Pronger's guts before we traded for him. Then he became the captain of our team.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:48 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
As far as Jagr goes, again, I see either 2011-12 or 2012-13 being his final season. I think it's highly unrealistic to expect him to play any longer than that... so he's not a long-term option.

And as I said, I don't see Voracek being a true #1 winger and I don't see him complimenting Giroux well @ all. Voracek is a pass-first winger who is very, very reluctant to shoot and he also has problems finishing. Giroux is also a pass-first guy, almost to a fault sometimes. The ideal winger for Giroux is someone who isn't afraid to shoot the puck. Voracek doesn't fit the bill.

In my scenario, ideally Briere would be asked for a list of 5 teams he'd accept a trade to, and then we'd trade him while we still can.

Long-term, the team would be:

Hartnell-Giroux-Semin
JVR-Schenn-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Sestito-Talbot-Rinaldo
Wellwood
Akeson
Considering everything going the way it has, if the Flyers find roster room on the wing and figure out the kind of cap space needed to sign Semin, I don't see any possible way they don't bring back Jagr instead. He puts butts in the seats, he creates media buzz, he sells jerseys, he piles up the points, and he mentors the young kids very well.

The Semin experiment could backfire on the Flyers; not tragically or anything, but it's pretty dumb to take a sure fire thing in Jagr and to use it on Semin. The only thing Semin has on Jagr is age, and Jagr brings so much more to this organization just in not bringing the negatives that Semin brings without mentioning the good Jagr does.

Also, don't think for a second that Briere's future with Philadelphia is in doubt. Briere is here next year.

I don't see Semin in Philadelphia next year or ever...thank god.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:55 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Considering everything going the way it has, if the Flyers find roster room on the wing and figure out the kind of cap space needed to sign Semin, I don't see any possible way they don't bring back Jagr instead. He puts butts in the seats, he creates media buzz, he sells jerseys, he piles up the points, and he mentors the young kids very well.

The Semin experiment could backfire on the Flyers; not tragically or anything, but it's pretty dumb to take a sure fire thing in Jagr and to use it on Semin. The only thing Semin has on Jagr is age, and Jagr brings so much more to this organization just in not bringing the negatives that Semin brings without mentioning the good Jagr does.

Also, don't think for a second that Briere's future with Philadelphia is in doubt. Briere is here next year.

I don't see Semin in Philadelphia next year or ever...thank god.
I agree... I'd love to have Jagr back next year. But you don't know if he wants to play another season or not. And even if he does, you have to assume that would be it, that 2012-13 would be his final NHL season. What do you do after that?

I was just trying to brainstorm some long-term options there, since I don't think Jags will be here any longer than next season. And like I said, I don't see Voracek fitting the bill.