HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sign Alexander Semin (UFA) in the Offseason?

View Poll Results: Should the Flyers sign Semin in the off-season?
YES!!! He's the perfect linemate for Giroux. 0 0%
Yes, but only if the price is right. 6 6.32%
Maybe, I'd need to see what else is out there on the free agent market. 5 5.26%
No, I'm comfortable with our cheaper in-house options to pair with Giroux. 17 17.89%
NO!!!!! Alex "Sasha" Semin never gives full effort and isn't worth the money. 66 69.47%
No, I don't think he'll make it to free agency, the Caps will sign him long-term. 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-27-2011, 01:58 AM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
So youre saying then that you didnt know the majority of the opinion of Flyers fans on Semin, or that you did know but thought you could convince them anyway?

Its fine having an opinion, and even voicing said opinion, but it just feels like you wanted to stir up trouble to me.
Literally had no clue he was so absolutely hated around here.

I know the league-wide sentiment on him is down since he's having an off year, but I had no clue Flyers fans absolutely hated his guts.

I don't quite understand why either... it's not like he's dirty and has slewfooted some of our players like Malkin. He's never taken one of our players out, and he's never said anything bad about philly or scored a particularly painful goal against us.

I guess I'll avoid the Semin topic around here in the future... yikes.

It does amaze me though how people hate Semin yet love Briere. Is it just the anti-Russian thing or what?

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:03 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
I agree... I'd love to have Jagr back next year. But you don't know if he wants to play another season or not. And even if he does, you have to assume that would be it, that 2012-13 would be his final NHL season. What do you do after that?

I was just trying to brainstorm some long-term options there, since I don't think Jags will be here any longer than next season. And like I said, I don't see Voracek fitting the bill.
Long term options at the wing position?

**** dude...

vanRiemsdyk (22) - Giroux (23) - Read (25)
Voracek - (22) - Couturier (19) - Simmonds (23)
Wellwood (21) - Schenn (20) - Akeson (21)
Zolnierczyk (24) - Cousins (18) - Ranford (19)
Rinaldo (21) - Holmstrom (24) - Sestito (24)

I'm not really that concerned.

Quote:
It does amaze me though how people hate Semin yet love Briere. Is it just the anti-Russian thing or what?
Briere is a team-first guy and may be small but is tenacious. Semin has a history of not putting his team first and is soft to the point where he's easily knocked off his game.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:30 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

I, for one, would love to have Semin on this team (at the right price, of course.) Having selfish players isn't always a bad thing, especially when you have a guy like Claude Giroux on your team. I believe that if Semin came here, he would also have a better attitude because he would be a more successful individual and a member of a team that will actually compete and not choke in the first round of the playoffs. And seeing his defense, it isn't even bad. People like to overexagerate their opinions to make other people also believe the same opinion. The guy may have a few bad plays here or there, but then again, doesn't everyone? I would love to give Semin a chance to play for the Flyers.

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:38 AM
dookie88

sandlansd should be banned for this proposal.

Semin is the epitome of lazy.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:45 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Long term options at the wing position?

**** dude...

vanRiemsdyk (22) - Giroux (23) - Read (25)
Voracek - (22) - Couturier (19) - Simmonds (23)
Wellwood (21) - Schenn (20) - Akeson (21)
Zolnierczyk (24) - Cousins (18) - Ranford (19)
Rinaldo (21) - Holmstrom (24) - Sestito (24)

I'm not really that concerned.

Briere is a team-first guy and may be small but is tenacious. Semin has a history of not putting his team first and is soft to the point where he's easily knocked off his game.
I'm aware that the team has excellent DEPTH, Chris. I've never stated that 2nd/3rd line wingers are a worry for me. However I do think that this team currently lacks a winger capable of maximizing Claude Giroux's talent long-term.

Jagr can fill that role in the short term, but I don't see JVR or Voracek or anyone else currently on the roster being that guy for the long-term.

As to your comments about Semin/Briere, I think you're being incredibly unfair to Semin. There's not one shred of evidence that says he's a "me first" kind of player as opposed to Briere being team oriented. In fact, Boudreau had the chance to throw the guy under the bus after being fired and instead he praised Semin and said he's largely misunderstood and does care and does give good effort for the good of the team.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...misunderstood/

Briere does the same exact stuff that you'd love to ding Semin for.

Briere:

-takes tons of stupid penalties (with Semin, you'd criticize him for this, but with Briere, you chalk it up to "tenacity" and act like it's a good thing).

-is HORRIBLE defensively and is often caught giving zero effort as he was in the Colorado game when he was caught napping by Landeskog (for some reason, this is OK out of Briere (who is terrible defensively even when he tries), but it's unacceptable from Semin (who is actually good defensively when he tries)).

-disappears for games at a time / multiple shifts at a time (again, this is OK for Briere because he is "clutch" or if he's having a bad week, it's ok because "well, he'll turn it on for the playoffs", but this behavior is completely unacceptable out of Semin).

Like I said, I don't really think you're willing to give Semin a fair shake. You're clearly biased against the guy and you clearly love Briere unconditionally.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:33 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Lol. Semin got called out by his own team mates. The guy is a great player with a skillset not many players in the league have. He is also fantastic defensively (when he tries)

That's the problem though. He never tries.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:47 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

If Semin signed here for 2-2,5 million, sure. He'd never sign for under 6, so it's a moot point. There's NO way he's coming here. Too expensive, too lazy, too uninspired.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:57 AM
CptCannon

One troll disappears, another one pops up. This time it's sandslandsdasads.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:02 AM
BringBackStevens

Lolno.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvxfXgFtiLU

The only way I would want him in Philly is if he was playing bongo's in the teams band, and since we don't have a team band, and bongo's are never usually a part of a sports teams band...

I get the proposal though, UFA, extremely skilled guy, if I was playing NHL 2012 it might work, but adding in personal, personnal and a whole heap of other factors... just no.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Kaktus*

Depends on how much and for how long. I would at least look into it.
Semin does have a lot of skill.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:39 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
No thanks.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:39 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Silly me, I thought perhaps you had matured in the past 2 weeks and maybe you wouldn't get a kick out of patrolling the forums looking for opportunities to use the same recycled .GIFs for the 200th time.

I guess I was wrong.

Apparently, you still have the maturity of a 5th grader.

Oh and as for us signing Semin?

Gonna go have a seizure now (an immature one of course)

Last edited by decadentia: 12-27-2011 at 07:44 AM.
decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Lol. Semin got called out by his own team mates. The guy is a great player with a skillset not many players in the league have. He is also fantastic defensively (when he tries)

That's the problem though. He never tries.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

It is absolutely corrosive to a team to have a player like Semin. In order for me to take him from the Caps at this very second, he'd have to be packaged with an asset to make it worth the headache.

If we were playing fantasy hockey, that'd be one thing, but on a team with a lot of young players, the absolute last thing you want is a prima donna like Semin. He would simply never make it on a Laviolette coached team.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:37 AM
JVR21
G

Our money needs to go to defense. End of story.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:05 AM
duffy9748

No way would I want him.

Shot? Awesome.
Stick Handling? Awesome.
Defense? Not too bad.
Tough? No way.
Clutch/Perform when it matters? Please don't ever compare him to Briere again.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:09 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

No way. Do not want. 2 words Ryan Suter. That is all I have

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Actually, his playoff stats and performances hasn't been that bad at all, it's just something about him that screams NO WAY. He's a better, way more expensive Zherdev.

If Semin actually decided to be the player he's very capable of being, I'd love to have him. As it is though, no.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:17 AM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

No,NO.No,NO,..................and a NO!

Don't want him anywhere near this team.

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:39 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I think Suter is spelled S.u.t.e.r. Not S.e.m.i.n.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156

You know how people hated Zherdev? Semin will be worse. He'll likely be paid more, too. On top of that he's a huge dick to the media and fans, so he'll just be roasted alive in the media. I'd rather not risk having that drama lying around...he's also by far the worst player on the Caps this year.

I'd be willing to throw 1.5mil, maybe 2 at him. Anything more isn't worth it. He's a useless diva bum. Let Columbus sign him, or let him go home to Russia.

Edit: Oh, and he's a known partier. Big time. So...guy who doesn't treat Philly media like gods...parties...hmm. I think we've seen this before.

Edit 2: Just to be absolutely clear, signing Semin instead of using that money for defense is basically the worst idea possible this coming offseason. Especially Semin, of all people. Hooray, 5 million+ so he can maybe put forth effort in 1/3 games! Or judging by this year, 1/10 games. Yeah. Let's pray Holmgren doesn't do that.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 12-27-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Jumping

Quote:
I'm aware that the team has excellent DEPTH, Chris. I've never stated that 2nd/3rd line wingers are a worry for me. However I do think that this team currently lacks a winger capable of maximizing Claude Giroux's talent long-term.

Jagr can fill that role in the short term, but I don't see JVR or Voracek or anyone else currently on the roster being that guy for the long-term.

As to your comments about Semin/Briere, I think you're being incredibly unfair to Semin. There's not one shred of evidence that says he's a "me first" kind of player as opposed to Briere being team oriented. In fact, Boudreau had the chance to throw the guy under the bus after being fired and instead he praised Semin and said he's largely misunderstood and does care and does give good effort for the good of the team.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...misunderstood/

Briere does the same exact stuff that you'd love to ding Semin for.

Briere:

-takes tons of stupid penalties (with Semin, you'd criticize him for this, but with Briere, you chalk it up to "tenacity" and act like it's a good thing).

-is HORRIBLE defensively and is often caught giving zero effort as he was in the Colorado game when he was caught napping by Landeskog (for some reason, this is OK out of Briere (who is terrible defensively even when he tries), but it's unacceptable from Semin (who is actually good defensively when he tries)).

-disappears for games at a time / multiple shifts at a time (again, this is OK for Briere because he is "clutch" or if he's having a bad week, it's ok because "well, he'll turn it on for the playoffs", but this behavior is completely unacceptable out of Semin).

Like I said, I don't really think you're willing to give Semin a fair shake. You're clearly biased against the guy and you clearly love Briere unconditionally.
Briere - wins play off games

Semin - not so much

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:23 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I was gonna vote "Yes, but only if the price is right.", but that would only be at something 3mil or less.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Kaktus*

If/when Jagr leaves, I would only offer one year deal for around 3.5 to Semin
Semins playoff numbers are not that bad for 27 year old player.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:13 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Ask me what type of player is the absolute exact opposite of what the Philadelphia Flyers are, and I'll talk about Alex Semin.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote