HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So, At What Point Is It Ok To Start Believing We Can Compete For The Cup This Year?

Old
12-26-2011, 08:58 PM
cenas*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Technically 1st place in the NHL. Don't take the foot off the pedal boys.
I don't want to sound all doom and gloom, but they are on their way down.. I give them one more hour at the top of the NHL.

Chicago leading Columbus Puke Jackets 3-0

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:59 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Technically 1st place in the NHL. Don't take the foot off the pedal boys.
No technicality. They are 1st place

Still a long way to go. Need Staal and Sauer to get back. Dubinsky needs to be playing like he did last season or WW show us some of his skill.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Don't overrate the Bruins just because we haven't seen them yet this year. They're not magic, they're not 18 unstoppable boulders and a brick wall. They're a tough, skilled hockey team.

So are we. Healthy? Who knows. We might be better.

Remember, Tampa and Montreal nearly took Boston down in the playoffs last year. They're not special.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Achene*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
There is a difference between competing for a Cup and winning the Cup. Only one team wins the final game of the year. Everyone else goes home disappointed.

Can we compete? Yes. Can we win it? That's a different story.

At the start of the season, I thought that a successful season would be to win one playoff round and be competitive in the second round.

Now I think a successful season would be to win two playoff rounds and make it to the conference finals. Anything can happen at that point, good or bad. If we made it that far I would not be surprised if either they won and made it to the Cup finals or lost.

Barring injuries to Henrik, Gabby, Richards or another key D-man, I see no reason why we can't continue to be one of the top teams in the league.

Sometimes I feel like we are one player away from being a legit Cup contender. And that player might be..........................Marc Staal.
We're quite stacked on defense and have the best goaltender in the league.

I think it's certainly a forward that is the missing piece.

Achene* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:17 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Don't overrate the Bruins just because we haven't seen them yet this year. They're not magic, they're not 18 unstoppable boulders and a brick wall. They're a tough, skilled hockey team.

So are we. Healthy? Who knows. We might be better.

Remember, Tampa and Montreal nearly took Boston down in the playoffs last year. They're not special.
Nobody said they were unstoppable

Almost only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades, atomic bombs and bocce.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:23 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achene View Post
We're quite stacked on defense and have the best goaltender in the league.

I think it's certainly a forward that is the missing piece.
Playoff hockey is much different than regular season hockey.

We need Staal for the playoffs.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Nobody said they were unstoppable

Almost only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades, atomic bombs and bocce
Not if the Horseshoe, grenade, bomb, or bocce ball are ALMOST close enough to make a difference

Seriously though, Don't discount the fact that they were pushed to game 7 three times (overtime in one) of them just because they came out on top. They're not unbeatable in the playoffs

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:21 AM
NYRaNgErS99112

Send a message via AIM to NYRaNgErS99112
Haven't felt this good about one of my sports teams since the Mets in 2006... we all know what happened there though. Like others said, we'll see what happens when they play the Bruins... I'm already starting to develop an immense hatred of them in anticipation for how pumped I'm going to be for that game. Goal scorer at the deadline might be nice too, although we'll see if they're worried about shaking up the "chemistry". On a random note, the Hagelin kid is a boss. LETS GO RANGERS!

NYRaNgErS99112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:40 AM
ohbaby

So, At What Point Is It Ok To Start Believing We Can Compete For The Cup This Year?

I guess we can't help but get excited about the success this team has been having. But Cup Contenders is a bit of a stretch at this early stage. No doubt we are one of the better teams in this league at this point. And I have reason to believe, they will continue to be a top flight team right through to the seasons end.

But all this means nothing, once the playoffs start. I'm of the opinion, all 16 teams that make the playoffs are genuine Cup contenders.

I think we should just be happy with the success of late and the promise of perhaps a great season.

Stats for years past at the X-mas break, show that the Rangers are most likely to make the playoffs. Better than 80%. So you can say, we will make the playoffs with a fair amount of certainty. And in turn, you could probably say we are Cup contenders. But so are the other 15 teams that make the playoffs.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:11 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

If our team stays healthy (especially the defense) and we play well leading into the playoffs, I'll feel optomistic about this team advancing in the post season.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:13 AM
BleedinBLUEsince92

I feel like these next 3 games will really show us what kind of team we got here

BleedinBLUEsince92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:01 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

I answer this question with another one: Why not?

Is there any reason to believe we cannot compete for the cup this season? We've shown we can hang with the best teams in the league, have a top goalie and one of the better defenses in the NHL WITH our injuries currently. A healthy Staal and Sauer will go a long way to getting the Cup.

Why are people making Boston out to be some kind of a Holy Grail of Hockey. Less than one year ago, they were chokers that could never put it together, yet they are considered to be a "Juggernaut" of a team as constructed.

Why not this team? I'm tired of hearing people saying that this team is great and we're not on that level until we play them. Why isn't it the other way around? Why shouldn't the other team be considered a poser if they lose to us?

We'll play Boston soon enough, and I think they have more to worry about from us than we have to worry about from them. I find Boston as a great physical team, but I believe our natural talent (Gaborik, Richards, Stepan) is great than theirs. Seguin is the only player on that team that I fear. He has the ability on offense to be dynamic. The rest, not so much. Their D is good, but we've seen better I believe and beaten better. Thomas is good as well, but as we saw last time these teams played, he can be very streaky.

Why not this team? I think all the parts are in place when healthy. Maybe acquire another forward for scoring depth, but that's about it. This team has the horses to make a run at the cup.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:04 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
I answer this question with another one: Why not?

Is there any reason to believe we cannot compete for the cup this season? We've shown we can hang with the best teams in the league, have a top goalie and one of the better defenses in the NHL WITH our injuries currently. A healthy Staal and Sauer will go a long way to getting the Cup.

Why are people making Boston out to be some kind of a Holy Grail of Hockey. Less than one year ago, they were chokers that could never put it together, yet they are considered to be a "Juggernaut" of a team as constructed.

Why not this team? I'm tired of hearing people saying that this team is great and we're not on that level until we play them. Why isn't it the other way around? Why shouldn't the other team be considered a poser if they lose to us?

We'll play Boston soon enough, and I think they have more to worry about from us than we have to worry about from them. I find Boston as a great physical team, but I believe our natural talent (Gaborik, Richards, Stepan) is great than theirs. Seguin is the only player on that team that I fear. He has the ability on offense to be dynamic. The rest, not so much. Their D is good, but we've seen better I believe and beaten better. Thomas is good as well, but as we saw last time these teams played, he can be very streaky.

Why not this team? I think all the parts are in place when healthy. Maybe acquire another forward for scoring depth, but that's about it. This team has the horses to make a run at the cup.
I think we match up well against Boston head to head. They are always tight close games that can go either way. But to say Boston is a poser would be a stretch. The defending champs have the best goals for, and against in the east. Their goal differential is a mind boggling 56. There is no doubt they are a force to be reckoned with.

There is still alot of hockey to be played. And for the Rangers,... their best might still be ahead of them. Whereas I can't see Boston getting any hotter.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Bruins don't match up well against the Rangers. I remember reading this last March after the Rangers beat the Bruins in Boston

Quote:
In essence the Rags and B’s are very similar hockey clubs, and the Bruins have experienced serious difficulty piercing New York’s collapsing defense over the last three seasons with the same cast of roster characters for both sides.

The Bruins have pretty clear strength and toughness advantages over either Montreal or Tampa Bay, and that’s a huge point when the playoffs reward teams with those attributes around the net. The Rags are Boston’s equal in many of the brawn and bruising categories, and block more shots than any other team in the NHL in front of their All-Star goaltender.

The big bodies like Brian Boyle, Brandon Dubinsky, Wojtek Wolski up front and a defensemen corps that’s all well over 6-feet tall and 200-pounds isn’t going to be rag-dolled by the Bruins.

If and when the B’s do manage to maneuver their way through New York’s layered defense, Henrik Lundqvist and his NHL-leading 11 shutouts will be crouched in wait to make the saves as he did while snatching Rich Peverley’s top shelf wrist shot out of thin air in the third period.

Lundqvist has long been a dominant force against the Bruins between the pipes, and that was again the case on Saturday afternoon. There’s no reason to think that would any different in the playoffs where the B’s would no longer have a discernible advantage in the goaltending department.

That was pretty obvious when Lundqvist remained calm and tall between the pipes while stopping 12 shots in the third period during a frenzied assault by the Black and Gold.

Because the Rangers tend to strictly execute their defensive system, hustle and grind their way through blocking shots in front of the net, they are the worst kind of B’s adversary: the team that simply lets the Bruins sleep without waking the sleeping bears.
http://www.csnne.com/03/26/11/Hagger...40&feedID=3944

Hopefully Staal and Sauer can return. Staal(knock on wood)should be back when he gets his conditioning back. Eminger too. Throw in Girardi,McDonagh and MDZ.

Wolski needs to get his career back on track. The free agent list stinks. The rentals are lousy. Unless Ruutu is your cup of tea,there isn't much there with so many teams in the playoff hunt. The deadline is 7 weeks away and the playoff race will remain the same with 40 days left in the season. The Rangers can not take on contract/salary past this season with the CBA expiring.

Trade deadline day is overrated. Boston could have won without Kaberle last season. The Cup winners haven't added a major piece at the deadline in order to win. Those teams were built in the summer and stayed that way for most of the season. A little tweak here or there but nothing earth shattering.

The 1994 Rangers were exception to the rule. Different league back then. They didn't added major pieces but they took a risk messing with team chemistry.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
When Avery's inserted back into the lineup because clearly we play better with him in it

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:52 AM
PatriceBergeronrules

The Rangers scare me more than any other team in the east. They matchup well with Boston. I don't see Boston wearing them down by the third like they do against most teams.

Really looking forward to 1/21. Those 4 games against each other are going to be huge down the stretch.

Last edited by PatriceBergeronrules: 12-27-2011 at 07:03 AM.
PatriceBergeronrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:57 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Not if the Horseshoe, grenade, bomb, or bocce ball are ALMOST close enough to make a difference

Seriously though, Don't discount the fact that they were pushed to game 7 three times (overtime in one) of them just because they came out on top. They're not unbeatable in the playoffs
I'll say this again...I never said they were unbeatable PERIOD, regular season or playoffs. I was simply responding to people posting that they weren't that good.

Vancouver "almost" beat them in the SCF final....

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Stepanformayor*

Too many unknown's yet for me personaly to talk about competing for the cup. As some others have stated, the playoffs are such a different animal than what we are seeing from teams now. We all must still keep in mind. We still have alot of players with little or no experience when it comes to playoffs. That will be especially tough on the young Defenseman.. Also Gabby throughout his career has never really shown up come playoff time, and we still have a lot of younger forwards that will have to show they can ramp up their intensity level another 10 fold.. IMO we still need another goal scoring forward with some Grit, and another veteren Defenseman. I may be in the minority but i really still believe by seasons end the young D we have is going to show..Hope i'm wrong.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote