HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Legace Avaliable?

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

vCash: 500
Is Legace Avaliable?

I was browsing the Trade Rumors/FA Forum and was reading about how Legace might be on the block since there's the belief that Howard will be the #1 next year with Osgood holding the backup position. Uhm, is there any validity to this?

Old
12-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Nothing concrete, but that's the general feeling.

Old
12-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Higgy4

The Wings goaltending situation is not settled at all. Legace is the best of the bunch, but he is already 31 or 32 years old. Osgood will never be #1 in Detroit again, and I am quite sure he wont be back next season. In fact, both Legace and Osgood are free agents after this year.

The Wings have a number of young goalies in their system including Jimmy Howard. But that doesnt mean any of them will end up being #1 NHL goalies.

So...to answer your question. I believe Holland would trade Legace in a heartbeat for the right return. What is that? I dont know. But Legace is definitly tradeable, IMO.

Old
12-10-2005, 02:29 PM
norrisnick

I'd say if there was a sweet enough deal, AND Osgood puts in a solid claim to the starter position in the next couple months he might be available. Ideally the Wings would probably want to keep Legace around (if he loses out the starter position) because he's the best backup out there and so Howard can play regularly in GR, but you never know.

At least one, if not both, of Osgood and Legace will be gone in the offseason. We have three guys coming up (Howard, MacDonald, Liv) that should be good enough for regular backup duty in the NHL (or competing for the starter spot in the AHL) and one or more may even be given a crack at the starter position up with the Wings (Howard is in the lead in that department) if they have a good camp (after finishing this season strong).

Old
12-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
The Wings goaltending situation is not settled at all. Legace is the best of the bunch, but he is already 31 or 32 years old. Osgood will never be #1 in Detroit again, and I am quite sure he wont be back next season. In fact, both Legace and Osgood are free agents after this year.

The Wings have a number of young goalies in their system including Jimmy Howard. But that doesnt mean any of them will end up being #1 NHL goalies.

So...to answer your question. I believe Holland would trade Legace in a heartbeat for the right return. What is that? I dont know. But Legace is definitly tradeable, IMO.
Alright, so far so good. But whatabout trading him in the West. Not to a division rival, but to EDM? Heh.

Old
12-10-2005, 02:30 PM
jacK

i would say no... first of all just cuz howie may be #1 next year, moving manny only hurts our chances at a playoff run this year. second, i wouldn't think ozzie will be back next year. we're stacked in our system with goalies, so next year i see us keeping manny and using macdonald/macintyer as backup while jim gets another year of solid #1 action in the American league.

Old
12-10-2005, 02:31 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli
Alright, so far so good. But whatabout trading him in the West. Not to a division rival, but to EDM? Heh.
What would you (or more importantly management) be willing to part with?

Old
12-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
What would you (or more importantly management) be willing to part with?
Sorry to have to answer with another question (haha), What's Manny's contract look like, as well as Detroit's Caproom?

Old
12-10-2005, 02:46 PM
shadoz19

Quote:
Sorry to have to answer with another question (haha), What's Manny's contract look like, as well as Detroit's Caproom?
Not much caproom, Legace makes 1.13m this year and is a UFA at the end of the season.

Old
12-10-2005, 02:46 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
He makes somewhere between $1.1 and $1.2M. As for cap room? Who knows. We've had $1M Kronwall out until February some time. Fischer is more than likely done for the year (if not more). Lang has been out month. I'm not entirely certain how the cap relief due to injuries works. There was something about being able to replace a player and not having the contract count against the cap, but I'm not sure if guys like Hudler, Lebda, and the other fill ins are already acting as those freebie replacements or if you can have one player's larger salary take the place of three smaller salaries that are out at once.

I don't think we can take on much more than $2M in salary.

Old
12-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Legace being a UFA hurts his value. He'll probably want a raise as well and DET probably can't afford that.

As far as EDM, We have a 3 goalie situation right now, so we'd have to send two somewhere else before we look at getting a goalie. The only D we're looking to ship off are our 5/6 pairings. Probably be looking at round 2/3 picks and mid prospects or something around a Pisani/Reasoner.

Old
12-10-2005, 04:19 PM
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming

Quote:
Legace might be on the block since there's the belief that Howard will be the #1 next year with Osgood holding the backup position.
Uh......wow. No. Howard as the #1 next year?

Old
12-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Legace being a UFA hurts his value. He'll probably want a raise as well and DET probably can't afford that.

As far as EDM, We have a 3 goalie situation right now, so we'd have to send two somewhere else before we look at getting a goalie. The only D we're looking to ship off are our 5/6 pairings. Probably be looking at round 2/3 picks and mid prospects or something around a Pisani/Reasoner.

to take care of the goalie issue, morrison would work. He could bounce back and forth between the minors and such, and give an option should the wings decide to part with MacDonald. Pisani, or maybe Rita(actually, IIRC he makes too much $$$) and a pick.

Morrison, Pisani, 3rd would work IMO.

Old
12-10-2005, 05:41 PM
SlavaKozlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBoltz56
Uh......wow. No. Howard as the #1 next year?
what I was thinking...

I think either one of Legace or Osgood will be gone next year. I would like to think Legace sticks around and keeps the starer spot with MacDonald being his back up. That way Howard and MacIntyre can split time in GR. Koopmans will be gone, hopefully Live can also come over and show what he can do over here, but I guess he would have to go to Toledo?

Next year should be interesting. Will the Wings look at either Ozzie or Manny for the job, or are there any good goalie UFAs on the market we can pick up? I still feel someone like MacD or MacIntyre should be backing up to get one of their names in the NHL and let Howard recieve the fuller load in GR, splitting time with the other goalie or maybe Liv. Also, with how well MacIntyre has been playing, does that make MacD expendable now, assuming Liv comes over? Strange goalie situation for next year indeed, for the NHL, AHL and possibly ECHL teams in the Wings system.

Regardless, I think Howard should not be an NHL starter yet, give him a year in the minors and get a veteran goalie with one of the more proven (MacD or MacIntyre ) prospects the NHL spot. Drew and Joey have been playing alright the past few years to earn a look at back up, especially Drew with his season for Grand Rapids this year.

Old
12-10-2005, 06:26 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

What about singing Manny Fernandez or Dwayne Roloson? But are UFA at the at end of the year. Both want to be #1 number goaltenders next year if not with the Wild then somewhere else!

This means that Howard can be backup to gain some experience!

Old
12-10-2005, 11:03 PM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuJo#31
What about singing Manny Fernandez or Dwayne Roloson? But are UFA at the at end of the year. Both want to be #1 number goaltenders next year if not with the Wild then somewhere else!

This means that Howard can be backup to gain some experience!
no way. you don't put a young talent like Howard on the big club to ride the pine. backup 'experience' pales to playing experience, which jim needs (and will get in the ahl.) roli's pushing 40. plus, there are better ufas out there... turco, nabokov to name a couple. it'd be nice to see marty in a winged wheel...

for those of you questioning cap room, we're going to be fine. lidstrom's huge salary will be reduced, cheli should be gone, stevie should be gone, osgood should be gone... that means our younger/cheaper/more talented guys are up and leaves us with plenty of cap maneuverability.
also if revenues are higher than expected, like they're saying is possible, i believe the cap goes up as a percentage of revenues?
Holland's a genius, he'll figure it out... and we'll be contenders all over again.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:54 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
wouldnt everyone much rather spend right now about 200-300k more and keep legs for another 1-2 years then osgood back up jimmy H whos still a rookie?

Id much rather see Legace over Osgood, and a combo of

Legace/Howard

then

Howard/Osgood

with howard being the so called starter... the kid is great, but we cant and dont need to rush him.. lets take our time with this young kid, let him see about 10-15 gms this year, great... 20-30 next year... and keep progressing it

Old
12-11-2005, 04:21 AM
Shoalzie

For Legace's salary and how well he's played, the Wings would be stupid to trade him. If this team is going to make a run at the cup, Legace will be the goalie to do it. Howard still needs seasoning and Osgood is nothing more than a backup.

In Manny We Trust

Old
12-11-2005, 07:30 AM
interminded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie
For Legace's salary and how well he's played, the Wings would be stupid to trade him. If this team is going to make a run at the cup, Legace will be the goalie to do it. Howard still needs seasoning and Osgood is nothing more than a backup.

In Manny We Trust

Of course... Ozzy has always been a backup his entire carreer on every team he played for...

Old
12-11-2005, 08:30 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by interminded
Of course... Ozzy has always been a backup his entire carreer on every team he played for...

He wasn't a backup when he nearly won the Vezina...damn you, Jim Carey!

Old
12-11-2005, 08:52 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie

In Manny We Trust
As long the Wings don't play Vancouver or Calgary (Mac got lucky he said), but he beat Minny and of course St. Louis and Columbus, Hawks too. And the Kings, but Howard beat them as well.

I can see where Manny played well, but that was when the Wings were beating the teams they should've back in October. I can't say Ozzie been great, but I can't what Manny has ever accomplished this year that could put him head and shoulders above Ozzie or Howard, who has looked prettu impressive so far, minus the rookie mistakes.

And the Wings making a run at the Cup...don't know about that, unless they figure out how to score in the playoffs.

Old
12-13-2005, 12:20 PM
jacK

ya know... the more trust ozzie gains by playing well, i could actually see manny being dealt. i think kenny will go after a big FA after this year, and manny would be too expensive to hang onto as a backup. might as well trade manny while he's got decent worth...? i still think howie should stay down in GR for a year or two and get some pt tho...
i may be doing a 180 here from previous thoughts, but the more i think about it, the more it seems possible. lets just say i wouldn't be surprised if it happens, and it would almost make sense to me

Closed Thread