HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JVR playing through hip injury

Old
12-27-2011, 09:14 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

vCash: 500
JVR playing through hip injury

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=149264&spln=1

Quote:
James van Riemsdyk is reportedly dealing with a hip injury that could require surgery at the end of the year.
According to multiple sources, the Philadelphia winger has a cam impingement in his hip which has been giving him problems since the beginning of the season. Van Riemsdyk is also hurting with a knee issue that was "banged up a few games ago," but the holiday break did help in that regard. GM Paul Holmgren denied both of those injuries though and said, "Lots of guys have issues throughout the season." He has nine goals and 10 assists in 29 games this season, but has struggled with three points in his last 10 contests since returning from the muscular tear in his midsection. Whether he is laboring with an assortment of ailments or not, JVR is expected to be in the lineup on Tuesday night versus Tampa Bay.
Direct link to Philly.com:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1hkVJrTLD

Quote:
Multiple sources confirmed yesterday that van Riemsdyk has both a cam impingement in his hip, which has been bothering him since the onset of the season, and a knee that was "banged up a few games ago" but was aided by rest over the 2-day Christmas holiday break.

When asked yesterday after an hourlong practice, van Riemsdyk said he didn't want to delve into specifics about his injuries.

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren denied both of van Riemsdyk's injuries when asked yesterday.

"Lots of guys have issues throughout the season," Holmgren said in a text message.

A source said that van Riemsdyk could require offseason surgery to correct his hip injury, which is a common occurrence in hockey players. One recent report suggested that more than 50 percent of all NHL players have a similar hip injury due to overuse. A cam impingement occurs when the ball-shaped femoral head rubs abnormally or does not have full range of motion in the pelvic socket. This can result in damage to the cartilage surrounding the bone.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-27-2011 at 10:26 AM.
NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Jtown

If this is the case then holy ****. FAI is extremely painful. And its one of those things that doesnt go away unless there is extended rest. It can also create permanent damange. I hope the Flyers are being smart about this.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:42 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
If this is the case then holy ****. FAI is extremely painful. And its one of those things that doesnt go away unless there is extended rest. It can also create permanent damange. I hope the Flyers are being smart about this.
If by being smart about it you mean playing him 13-16 mins a game then yes they are. Plus if you're denying the injuries it makes the whole thing look foolish when you see the decline in minutes, production, and it's visible he's playing injured. I don't see him getting any rest until the team is healthy (mostly).

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

So how long recovery is it from a surgery? If Schenn is healthy and JVR will be back playing in mid-march, I'd say cut him up now, but obviously I don't know anything about recovery etc

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:14 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I think we all knew he was playing injured, but with all the injuries going around sometimes someone has to bite the bullet.

I hope this cools down some of the JVR trash talking, but I doubt it.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:25 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
They should shut him down and rest him if it's serious, and it sounds like it is.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:59 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Yep.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:26 AM
esuhock22

Quote:
Does not sound like something he should be playing with. I hope it's not that serious, but it certainly looks like he is playing through some pain.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:33 AM
mm6492

But he stinks and is a bust and is terrible and should be traded and should be killed and should give all his money to charity and should pick a new sport.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:44 AM
dats81

So who is next?
They are not even playing but whenever I'm turning on my computer it's about new injuries being disclosed

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
So who is next?
They are not even playing but whenever I'm turning on my computer it's about new injuries being disclosed
Honestly...

I'm waiting for Schenn and Couturier to come back.

The only reason I could possibly imagine the organization is keeping JVR playing is because either JVR himself or the team believes he's needed right now due to all of the concussions.

As soon as Schenn and Couturier are ready to go, I want JVR to get this taken care of.

In fact, it should've gotten taken care of a month ago.

Old
12-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Xegiie

why the hell is he still playing?

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

This is brilliant. Just brilliant. As soon as schenn is back I bet they shut him down.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:10 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Well if this is the case it would explain his play so im now ready to cut him some slack and dont want him to be traded cause with thoses two injuries it explains it.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:11 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I hope those trash talking him and saying they hate him will be less harsh now. It was pretty obvious he lacked speed and that is pretty much his game.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:21 PM
cheesesteak

Why not get it fixed now if it's that much of a problem, what's the healing time?

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:28 PM
flountown

Here is a handy little diagram I used a few years ago when presenting a report on FAI(Femoral-Acetabular Impingement) in regards to goalies and the butterfly technique.

It is obviously a bit more severe in goalies as the current butterfly style revolves around this joint and repetitive impacts. Eventually they will go in and shave the bone, but if I remeber correctly the recovery from this type of surgery is really more suited for the off season, it leaves you unable to walk without canes for a bit of time.

Computer not cooperating, here is a direct link to the image. http://www.atlantasportsmedicine.com.../Picture31.jpg

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
It is obviously a bit more severe in goalies as the current butterfly style revolves around this joint and repetitive impacts. Eventually they will go in and shave the bone, but if I remeber correctly the recovery from this type of surgery is really more suited for the off season, it leaves you unable to walk without canes for a bit of time.
So basically...if JVR gets shut down...he's shut down. Ugh.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:49 PM
cheesesteak

This is what it said on a medical site.

"Open femoroacetabular impingement surgery is a 2-4 hour procedure that entails making a large incision over the side of hip so that the hip can be carefully dislocated while preserving the blood supply to the head (called a “surgical dislocation”). Once the femoral head and acetabulum are exposed, the extra bone that is contributing to the impingement can be cut away. After thorough removal of the impinging bone and damaged cartilage, the hip is reduced. The patient is usually in the hospital 2-3 days after such surgery and must be on crutches for 1-2 months. Almost the same surgery can be done arthroscopically. [please see video] Although arthroscopic treatment of hip impingement remains a long procedureof 1-2 hours,the patient can go home that day, does not have to use crutches, and the risks of surgery are much lower. In addition, the patient usually feelsbetter much sooner. Most patients do not feel that this type of surgery completely “cures” their hip because the damaged areas cannot be replaced; only removed. However almost all the patients can be significantly improved."

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:51 PM
BWAVgal
A sad Flyers fan

vCash: 50
Wonderful. If he needs it done, get it done now. Another fine job by our crack medical staff.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
This is what it said on a medical site.

"Open femoroacetabular impingement surgery is a 2-4 hour procedure that entails making a large incision over the side of hip so that the hip can be carefully dislocated while preserving the blood supply to the head (called a “surgical dislocation”). Once the femoral head and acetabulum are exposed, the extra bone that is contributing to the impingement can be cut away. After thorough removal of the impinging bone and damaged cartilage, the hip is reduced. The patient is usually in the hospital 2-3 days after such surgery and must be on crutches for 1-2 months. Almost the same surgery can be done arthroscopically. [please see video] Although arthroscopic treatment of hip impingement remains a long procedureof 1-2 hours,the patient can go home that day, does not have to use crutches, and the risks of surgery are much lower. In addition, the patient usually feelsbetter much sooner. Most patients do not feel that this type of surgery completely “cures” their hip because the damaged areas cannot be replaced; only removed. However almost all the patients can be significantly improved."
Do it now. No waiting. Schenn is back. Couturier is coming back. We have Wellwood and Zolnierczyk and others. Get it done now.

EDIT: On second thought, if it's just because he wants to play in the WC against the team he grew up watching, I'm okay with that. It's a big deal. Just shut him down afterwards. He'll be ready for the playoffs.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I honestly can't understand how the teams medical staff can be so inept.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:58 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Jesus Christ

Just get the surgery so he's healthy come playoffs time.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I love how Holmgren outright just lies about it. With a straight face, it seems. Give the guy credit.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:07 PM
bryzgalovsky*

GIVE HIM THE SURGERY NOW

at least then there is a .001% chance of him playing in the playoffs. Right now there is a 0% chance because he's going to aggravate it a thousand times before the playoffs start.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote