HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Trade Proposals and Rumors Part XX

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Tuumo Ruutu is the exact type of playoff winger we need to help the forward group, which is not particularly tough in the top 6 at all, not at least the way the Ruutu's play. And he's a guy that's been rumoured to be coming to Ottawa for some time.

De Costa is expendable now we have 4 legit young top 4 NHL Center's. Good building block as well for Carolina

Ott: T. Ruutu
Car: De Costa
Deal should read:

Ottawa gives up:
Da Costa
and the ability to ever sign college free agents ever again

Carolina gives up:
Ruutu

Old
12-26-2011, 11:52 AM
HSF

i think people are trying way to hard to speed through the rebuild... it wont happen.

If we are getting anyone in their late 20's then it will be in the free agent market. I dont use trading DaCosta either

Old
12-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Eugene View Post
Deal should read:

Ottawa gives up:
Da Costa
and the ability to ever sign college free agents ever again

Carolina gives up:
Ruutu
Where do you see De Costa breaking into the lineup? If there was an open spot for him it took a huge closing when they dealt for Turris, and next year with Stone, Zibby and Silferberg coming in not to mention Noessen and Puempel.

Ottawa could easily sell this to future college free agents as giving De Costa a chance to make an NHL roster rather then play 1-2 more years in the AHL. They gave him a huge free agent contract at $1.5 million, played him in 20 NHL games.

If they want to keep him I'm all for it, but it's not like Ottawa can never trade Butler, De Costa or Winchester because they signed them as free agents.

Ott: Ruutu
Car: Butler, Lee

Old
12-26-2011, 12:46 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
When Gonchar and Kuba are gone, I think the sens are going to need more puck movement from the backend. Karlsson and Cowen can obviously break it out, but another threat would be great. A Francois Bouchemin for the sens own little Neidermayer-Pronger, or Brian Cambell to Seabrook-Keith.
How about a guy like Rundblad, here he's pretty good offensively

In all seriousness, we have Gonchar for the next one and a half seasons, so we can still see if Wiercioch pans out to be a top-4 guy in the NHL in that time. Worst case scenario we dip into UFA. This offseason the only guys who really look interesting that are puck-movers are Suter (not so much puck mover, but high end D), Liles, or Wideman. Wouldn't mind adding Gorges or Boychuk, though.

12-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Gorges would be our new Chris Phillips and it would be awesome to poach him from the Habs on a 5 year deal. Solidifies our second pairing long term at hopefully only 4 or so million a year.

Old
12-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Quote:
Where do you see De Costa breaking into the lineup? If there was an open spot for him it took a huge closing when they dealt for Turris, and next year with Stone, Zibby and Silferberg coming in not to mention Noessen and Puempel.

Ottawa could easily sell this to future college free agents as giving De Costa a chance to make an NHL roster rather then play 1-2 more years in the AHL. They gave him a huge free agent contract at $1.5 million, played him in 20 NHL games.

If they want to keep him I'm all for it, but it's not like Ottawa can never trade Butler, De Costa or Winchester because they signed them as free agents.

Da Costa chose Ottawa for cultural reasons. Let's send him to Raleigh. That will endear ourselves to future free agents.

Old
12-26-2011, 01:08 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Da Costa chose Ottawa for cultural reasons. Let's send him to Raleigh. That will endear ourselves to future free agents.
I think more went into his decision than that, but the point remains. It'd be hard to trade Da Costa this soon without affecting how future college free agents view us as a possible destination.

Old
12-26-2011, 01:17 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

The number 1 thing I want Ottawa to solidify is their defense. Our offense seems set at times plus, with the Swede prospects coming in next year, I think it will fill in the blanks by itself. By next year I want Ottawa to try to close out the remaining pieces of their defense for long term. That includes:

Re-signing Karlsson long-term
Nabbing a guy like Gorges for the foreseeable future.

Cowen-Karlsson
Phillips-Gorges
Boroweicki-Gonchar

That's a playoff defense. Over a couple of years, it would become a contending defense. When Gonchar and Phillips age, it's much easier to fill in the holes through UFA for number 3 or 4 defense man than it is for top 6 forwards. Especially if we get a guy like Ceci via draft.

It pains be to see Rundblad not there because I still think that he would have made us deadlier than Turris is gonna make us. I pray that I'm wrong and Turris gets his game together.

Old
12-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Tuna99

Quote:
come on, he played hockey in Texas. He chose Ottawa for more then the Parliment buildings.

Old
12-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Healfezza

Eh I figure now that we have strong depth in the prospect pool we will have become a less desirable location for college UFAs. I figure what they want most is a shot at icetime and a team that is weak on prospects or has a hole on the roster for them is the most desirable. We have neither.

I like Da Costa's skill and he could still be a good player in a couple years. I would keep him in Bingo for seasoning. Winchester and Butler should be out the door though.

And for the record, trading a college player doesn't nessisarily reduce our chances of getting one if we are giving them a better chance at their new destination.

Old
12-26-2011, 01:43 PM
GreatStateofHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healfezza View Post
Eh I figure now that we have strong depth in the prospect pool we will have become a less desirable location for college UFAs. I figure what they want most is a shot at icetime and a team that is weak on prospects or has a hole on the roster for them is the most desirable. We have neither.

I like Da Costa's skill and he could still be a good player in a couple years. I would keep him in Bingo for seasoning. Winchester and Butler should be out the door though.

And for the record, trading a college player doesn't nessisarily reduce our chances of getting one if we are giving them a better chance at their new destination.
The thing about College FA's is that most of them are NHL ready, so as long as Ottawa has a weak line-up, we will be a desirable location.

Old
12-26-2011, 01:45 PM
lafite

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
I think more went into his decision than that, but the point remains. It'd be hard to trade Da Costa this soon without affecting how future college free agents view us as a possible destination.
Undrafted players now have to be given the equivalent of guaranteed no-trade NHL contracts? Drafted (as in proven) players have to take their chances, go where they are told, and can get flipped whenever the team sees fit. DaCosta has shown some talent and might be an NHL regular some day, but I agree with those thinking there is not much room for him in the Sens short to medium term future.

Old
12-26-2011, 02:04 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafite View Post
Undrafted players now have to be given the equivalent of guaranteed no-trade NHL contracts? Drafted (as in proven) players have to take their chances, go where they are told, and can get flipped whenever the team sees fit. DaCosta has shown some talent and might be an NHL regular some day, but I agree with those thinking there is not much room for him in the Sens short to medium term future.
No, and I didn't say that.

I said it may be a bad idea to trade a recently signed college free agent, because of how it will impact future negotiations. If you can't see the difference between those two statements, I can't help you.

Old
12-26-2011, 04:46 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:

I doubt that Canes would agree. Ruutu will not probably traded for garbage. Probably Da Costa and Lee yes, but not Butler.

Old
12-26-2011, 04:58 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
No, and I didn't say that.

I said it may be a bad idea to trade a recently signed college free agent, because of how it will impact future negotiations. If you can't see the difference between those two statements, I can't help you.
I doubt it will have much impact on future free agents. They will sign wherever they feel they will have the best chance at cracking the lineup.

It's not like Ottawa has been signing college free agents and shipping them out each year. It's also not like Ottawa hasn't given these players a fair chance at sticking to the roster.

12-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Mephias

I think when a college free agent is unable to crack the lineup, and you trade said player to an NHL team where he IS able to crack the lineup, you're actually doing him a favour.

Old
12-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephias View Post
I think when a college free agent is unable to crack the lineup, and you trade said player to an NHL team where he IS able to crack the lineup, you're actually doing him a favour.
This x1000.

Circumstances have changed with the acquisition of Turris. I think keeping Da Costa in the AHL for years on end is more likely to cause Undrafted Free Agent's to be skeptical.

I still don't think Da Costa is "done" yet, just adding a point.

Old
12-27-2011, 06:23 AM
burgess1978

Philly traded RJ Umberger - but he had played 3 full seasons in the NHL. I wouldn't say college signings are "un-tradeable" but I would agree that trading Da Costa less than a year after signing him would be considered poor form. At this stage I wouldn't consider trading him. He's scoring at a PPG in the AHL so right now I'd still consider him a prospect with a chance of being an NHL player in the next 18 months.

Butler is in a little different situation, since he is nearing waiver eligibility - but worst case scenario he is the 23rd man on the roster so there is no need to have to waive him. Again - I wouldn't consider trading Butler this year, but I would think from Draft day on he'd be fair game, because he'll be waiver eligible and we may have other guys taking up roster spots. Hopefully for Bobby Butler he can catch fire and we don't have to worry about that.

Old
12-27-2011, 06:26 AM
burgess1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healfezza View Post

While I would say Winchester is definitely tradeable, why should he be "out the door"? He's been great this year.

Old
12-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Holdurbreathe

Da Costa signed in Ottawa most likely because Ottawa was in a position to play him immediately, and with the team starting a rebuild, appeared to have a need for a second or third line center.

However with the emergence of Smith, the acquistion of Turris, and Zibanejad on the horizon, Da Costa's opening has all but closed for the time being with Ottawa.

At this point in time, should Murray decide to trade Da Costa to a team with an immediate need, rather than leave him in the AHL, future free agents would be more likely to see the trade as positive not negative.

Any player striving to play in the NHL realizes trades are part of the business, most players appreciate a trade that enhances their opportinity to play in the NHL.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:51 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
I'd love to make a Brian Lee for Zach Boychuk swap. A few Canes fans seem to be pretty disappointed with Boychuk's play thus far, he'd certainly make for an interesting project having been drafted one spot ahead of EK in '08.

Old
12-27-2011, 10:00 AM
SensSharksGirl*

I am doing something unbearable: Another trade proposal. Here it goes!

To Hurricanes:

Sergei Gonchar
Filip Kuba

To Senators:

Tuomo Ruutu
2nd Round draft pick for NHL Draft 2012

*I am going to say please keep Da Costa

Old
12-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensSharksGirl View Post
I am doing something unbearable: Another trade proposal. Here it goes!

To Hurricanes:

Sergei Gonchar
Filip Kuba

To Senators:

Tuomo Ruutu
2nd Round draft pick for NHL Draft 2012

*I am going to say please keep Da Costa
I don't see Carolina looking to add veteran pieces. They're going to have to blow it up (outside of their core), and their new team isn't going to made up of mid thirties defenceman.

Old
12-27-2011, 10:15 AM
HSF

DaCosta is a ppg in the AHL

he is off limits

Old
12-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Tuna99

Would anybody do this trade today?

Ott: Iginla
Cal: Mark Stone

I probably wouldn't, but you'd be crazy not to. Right?

Closed Thread