HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tortorella for the Adams

Old
12-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
he may very well get it. and it may very well be deserved, but i was referring to a time not too long ago where people were calling for his head. the fickle nature of these boards still amuses me after all these years.
Theres a lot of young fans here that let their emotions be dictated by every game, period, or shift. Its just something that happens, and will continue to happen.

The saddest cast of characters, however, are the ones continuing to bash him for his handling of the 4th line and the 12th - 14th forwards on the roster. That needs to stop, because its beyond ridiculous at this point.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Dorado*

Never been a fan of torts .His narcissism , huge ego and surliness with the media being big reasons ....
However he appears to have the TEAM , playing as a TEAM, usually on the right side of their man and on the puck on most nights now . Not sure how much this has to do with the personnel or how much is on him . MDZ , and MCd development is a big plus to him if in fact he has something to do with it .MDZ. Clearly spent too much time at WARREN 77 and chasing skirts last season and I think Torts got through to him . Bringing Brad in has helped as well since he wanted to Play for torts only I think at this point and although lately his presence on the scoresheet has been lacking his presence on the ice still demands resPect .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:21 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Never been a fan of torts .His narcissism , huge ego and surliness with the media being big reasons ....
However he appears to have the TEAM , playing as a TEAM, usually on the right side of their man and on the puck on most nights now . Not sure how much this has to do with the personnel or how much is on him . MDZ , and MCd development is a big plus to him if in fact he has something to do with it .MDZ. Clearly spent too much time at WARREN 77 and chasing skirts last season and I think Torts got through to him . Bringing Brad in has helped as well since he wanted to Play for torts only I think at this point and although lately his presence on the scoresheet has been lacking his presence on the ice still demands resPect .
Don't know what you mean by narcissim and ego

This media thing is way overblown because of a few incidents, and from where I sit he does it purposely and for a reason. Every big time blow up he has had was after his team played poorly, the Brooks incident with Tampa, the Hitch incident during the SC run and this year during the slow start. Takes all the attention and heat off the team and puts it on himself.

The guy has won at every level of hockey, you may not agree with how he does things but they work.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Might be a little early to have a discussion for this award, but clearly the guy deserves some credit.

I'm sure we will hit more hurdles as the season goes on, but so far this team has been rising to the challenges and that is due, in large part to coaching.

Not sure why he was never given a shot here when he was Assistant, but my impression is that he's always wanted prove he could cut it in New York.

Good for him. Glad he's here.

12-27-2011, 10:32 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I would also say that this is way to early to discuss....if not for the injuries thsi team has taken to the Defence.

A Defence that was supposed to have been a weakness at full strength.

Torts and the coaching staff have done a wonderful job of making the guys who have stepped in look very well by asking them to play the most simplest of games.

Don't do to much, but don't be afraid of doing something.

Additionally, Dubi, Boyle and Feds are all having down seasons and we are still 9th in overall scoring.

Imagine where thsi team would be if out PP was also 9th in the league?

Scary.

If there's a discussion of Adams, Torts has earned his way into that discussion.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:36 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Might be a little early to have a discussion for this award, but clearly the guy deserves some credit.

I'm sure we will hit more hurdles as the season goes on, but so far this team has been rising to the challenges and that is due, in large part to coaching.

Not sure why he was never given a shot here when he was Assistant, but my impression is that he's always wanted prove he could cut it in New York.Good for him. Glad he's here.
IIRC it was the Smith/Muckler battle and don't think they wanted any remnants of Mucklers staff to remain.

Old
12-27-2011, 11:20 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
He's not playing Avery, fire him
another hater dragging avery into another thread. i thought his fans were the ones that were obsessed.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
another hater dragging avery into another thread. i thought his fans were the ones that were obsessed.
Its been the only complaint about Tortorella recently.

Im sure it makes plenty people laugh being how stupid the criticism has been.

Not you though.

Old
12-27-2011, 11:38 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Every time I watch 24/7, it makes me realize how much better of a coach Laviolette is, and he won't even be in the discussion this year with Dineen and Yeo being the front runners for it right now.

I don't really like Tortarella all that much, and I think his misuse of Avery because of his personal issues with the guy is a joke. Avery must have said something really bad about him or went right back in his face one time. The fact that he was playing Erik Christensen in the lineup over him at one point is a joke.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:42 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Every time I watch 24/7, it makes me realize how much better of a coach Laviolette is, and he won't even be in the discussion this year with Dineen and Yeo being the front runners for it right now.

I don't really like Tortarella all that much, and I think his misuse of Avery because of his personal issues with the guy is a joke. Avery must have said something really bad about him or went right back in his face one time. The fact that he was playing Erik Christensen in the lineup over him at one point is a joke.
You're kidding right? The team is currently 22-8-4 hard to question Torts decisions with a record like that.

Old
12-27-2011, 11:43 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

This is insane.

I can't even fathom it.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:48 AM
WeWillWinTonight

Just think 3 games in people wanted him canned and now he's the best

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:

If jokes like that continue to have his team hovering at the top of the conference, I will gladly spring for a clown suit.

Jokes aside, this team has been consistently overachieving under Tortorella. There are plenty of teams that boast similar or even greater talent than us that aren't doing anywhere near as well (looking at you, Washington, LA, Anaheim, Buffalo, Tampa, even Islanders).

We were overachieving ever since Torts got here, and that's a mark of a great coach. The difference is that this year our roster is considerably better with another star forward and a bunch of youngsters stepping up (the coaching staff gets major credit for this as well), so the team's overachieving ways are pushing us into the upper echelons of the league, even with our defensive corps decimated, and our PP and several key forwards struggling.

Whether it's his system or his no demanding no BS personality, Tortorella gets the most out of his teams, and I'm glad we're finally seeing the results. Jack Adams is not a long-shot at all.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

The fact you're complaining about this during a damn good time to be a Ranger fan is the real joke here.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:19 PM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

vCash: 2319
Quote:

I'll reiterate what many people have said before: a fourth liner isn't going to change anything. It's not like Torts is playing EC over him, he's playing legitimate contributors like Rupp and Prust for grit and fighting ability (which Avery doesn't have) and Feds is, well, Feds. To sum it up, WE DON'T NEED AVERY. Get over it.

EpicDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:28 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I'll be the first to admit that I am a big fan of Sean Avery and the way he plays the game.

That said, I like the way the team looks with Avery, EC and Wolski all in street clothes.

If Rupp is going to get 5-9 minutes a night, I have no problem with that.

I love the ability of Dubi/Boyle/Mitchell to work and grind the puck down low. I do not think that Avery is capable of duplicating that. Additionally, Avery seems to be much easier to get off his game than a guy like Mitchell.

Earlier in the year, Torts screwed the pooch with the decision to waive Avery. Currently, he's making the right choice by keeping him in plain clothes.

There's no shortage of grit on this team and they are much more difficult to rattle.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:31 PM
clmetsfan

Poster: Boy, I really like this Rangers team.

HFB denizens: SHUT UP! HOW CAN YOU KNOW WHETHER YOU LIKE THEM OR NOT UNTIL THE SEASON IS OVER?? TALK TO ME IN JUNE YOU IDIOT!!!

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

If there was an award for coming in, changing the culture and turning the team into a serious, hardworking one... He'd be a shoe in. It took a few years but he's created an identity for them.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:34 PM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

vCash: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Poster: Boy, I really like this Rangers team.

HFB denizens: SHUT UP! HOW CAN YOU KNOW WHETHER YOU LIKE THEM OR NOT UNTIL THE SEASON IS OVER?? TALK TO ME IN JUNE YOU IDIOT!!!
That's HF logic for you

EpicDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:48 PM
ohbaby

Lets be frank. He won't win any popularity contest but he gets the job done. He has a short fuse and demands the best, but the players respond.

I was an instructor once, and while I might not have been everyone favorite teacher, they learned for me and became great students.

I think the same can be said for Torts. I don't think the Rangers will ever ''Win one for the Gipper" to borrow an expression, but he has brought and organized a plan for success that has previously paid dividends.

So while his methods and manner in bringing this about might not be popular, he must be given credit for the results.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:49 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:

Even when this team is in 1st place, there is still people who have complaints about the HC.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
He's not playing Avery, fire him
Lol! This board is schizophrenic. If/when we hit a wall and start losing games, the "Fire Torts" thread will resurface. I've loved Torts from the get go and I firmly believe he's the only guy who should be coaching this team because he doesn't tolerate players not working hard or making mental mistakes. Like Gabby said in the first 24/7, "I really like him because you know where you stand with him." That's good enough for me.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Don't know what you mean by narcissim and ego

This media thing is way overblown because of a few incidents, and from where I sit he does it purposely and for a reason. Every big time blow up he has had was after his team played poorly, the Brooks incident with Tampa, the Hitch incident during the SC run and this year during the slow start. Takes all the attention and heat off the team and puts it on himself.

The guy has won at every level of hockey, you may not agree with how he does things but they work.
Right on! The guy is a master motivator and has pushed all the right buttons with line changes, motivating certain players, etc. He does a great job deflecting criticism of his players and when they do play lousy, he puts the heat on himself by his less than cordial post game conferences. I for one couldn't care less how he responds to the media when dinosaurs like Stan Fischler ask dumb questions after a loss. I always detested Tom Renny's habit of waxing poetic and kissing up to the media after a horrendous loss. Torts is the man!

Old
12-27-2011, 01:09 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Lol! This board is schizophrenic. If/when we hit a wall and start losing games, the "Fire Torts" thread will resurface. I've loved Torts from the get go and I firmly believe he's the only guy who should be coaching this team because he doesn't tolerate players not working hard or making mental mistakes. Like Gabby said in the first 24/7, "I really like him because you know where you stand with him." That's good enough for me.
Agreed 100%.

I've always loved Torts. He kind of reminds me of Mike Tomlin/Doc Rivers..doesn't take **** and gets the most out of his players.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:

Avery? He won't even be in the league next year. You Avery sympathizers make me laugh out loud. That dog won't bark anymore so get over it already!