HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are they building next to the arena? (Music City Convention Center)

Old
12-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
They're making almost $30 million in improvements to LP for next season.
Is it a sure thing or is that how much the Titans are asking for?

And I believe the majority is going towards a new jumbotron and video boards? They need to get field turf in there, if MTSU can do it, so can the Titans.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Is it a sure thing or is that how much the Titans are asking for?

And I believe the majority is going towards a new jumbotron and video boards? They need to get field turf in there, if MTSU can do it, so can the Titans.
Totally agree on the field turf; except it's not a money issue. Fisher always wanted natural grass and Munchak has said the same.

A lot of the cost will be for the new elevators to the upper levels as well.

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

I always hated that about Fisher. Sure it's great that the coach has a preference and all, but the city has to have some say in this, and make the best investments possible with their money.

Elevators would be good, it's quote a hike to get to the third level. I think most people will still end up walking though.

Old
12-25-2011, 01:50 PM
pekkaslap

-much larger, high-definition video boards in both end zones;
-high-definition, LED ribbon boards (the narrow video screens that circle the entire bowl of the stadium)
-a new sound system that will distribute sound more evenly (this was badly needed)
-a fan hospitality area
-a new control room
-elevators to the upper parts of the venue.

That was from a Tennessean article. It also said they were going to work hard on bringing more concerts to LP, which they've been criticized for not doing more.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
-much larger, high-definition video boards in both end zones;
-high-definition, LED ribbon boards (the narrow video screens that circle the entire bowl of the stadium)
-a new sound system that will distribute sound more evenly (this was badly needed)
-a fan hospitality area
-a new control room
-elevators to the upper parts of the venue.

That was from a Tennessean article. It also said they were going to work hard on bringing more concerts to LP, which they've been criticized for not doing more.
I wouldn't pay a dime to see a concert at LP Field. Such a crappy venue ... I'd go to Bridgestone & Ryman before that hole

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:10 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
I wouldn't pay a dime to see a concert at LP Field. Such a crappy venue ... I'd go to Bridgestone & Ryman before that hole
I dont think venue matters if you have the right band. see vandy and U2.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:34 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I dont think venue matters if you have the right band. see vandy and U2.
I disagree. For instance, Ted Nugent at the Ryman is a bad idea. That place just isn't set up for such a loud show. Venue matters, but it isn't always a make-or-break

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:37 PM
66Falconboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
Found this in a florida times article ...

Weather: Average high temperature in early February must be at least 50 degrees
This is also a problem.

Anyone who seriously thinks Nashville would host a Super Bowl in the near future, with or without the convention center, is kidding themselves.

66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:07 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Falconboy View Post
This is also a problem.

Anyone who seriously thinks Nashville would host a Super Bowl in the near future, with or without the convention center, is kidding themselves.
How is it a problem? The average temperature is 49 on February 1st and goes up to 50 on February 6th. If they would deny a city a Super Bowl because of 1 degree it would be the dumbest thing ever. 50 is okay to host a Super Bowl but if your average is 49, no chance!

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:27 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I disagree. For instance, Ted Nugent at the Ryman is a bad idea. That place just isn't set up for such a loud show. Venue matters, but it isn't always a make-or-break
I meant stadium shows. I thought that since that is what we were talking about it would be implied. Of course you can't put a loud rock/stage show at a small venue. But you get the right band in the stadium, you will sell a ton of tickets. The one problem with a stadium is there aren't too many right bands. There are not too many acts today that could pull it off, and I dont think there are too many older ones that will do stage shows.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I meant stadium shows. I thought that since that is what we were talking about it would be implied. Of course you can't put a loud rock/stage show at a small venue. But you get the right band in the stadium, you will sell a ton of tickets. The one problem with a stadium is there aren't too many right bands. There are not too many acts today that could pull it off, and I dont think there are too many older ones that will do stage shows.
I've seen the Chesney festival shows twice at LP and have tickets for next year's. Stadium does fine for that show ...

If I remember correctly, the elevators will only handle 11,000 / hour so yes, many will still hike it.

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:47 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
They need to get field turf in there, if MTSU can do it, so can the Titans.
No no no no no. Ugh. No. Field turf is awful.

Plus, with field turf, we would never be able to host the World Cup, World Cup Qualifiers, etc.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:48 AM
66Falconboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
How is it a problem? The average temperature is 49 on February 1st and goes up to 50 on February 6th. If they would deny a city a Super Bowl because of 1 degree it would be the dumbest thing ever. 50 is okay to host a Super Bowl but if your average is 49, no chance!
Well, the weather is only one consideration. Nashville is not a destination that can compete with San Diego, Miami, (even Indianapolis with their indoor stadium) once all factors are considered together, taking into account weather, market size, stadium amenities, etc.

66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
No no no no no. Ugh. No. Field turf is awful.

Plus, with field turf, we would never be able to host the World Cup, World Cup Qualifiers, etc.
Not true on either account.

Field Turf is an amazing product. It looks great, feels great and plays great for football, perhaps not for soccer although it's use in soccer is growing each year.

And there have already been WC events on field turf. It may not be the prefered surface but i'm much more concerned about the Titans continued use of the field than any potential WC events.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:03 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Not true on either account.

Field Turf is an amazing product. It looks great, feels great and plays great for football, perhaps not for soccer although it's use in soccer is growing each year.

And there have already been WC events on field turf. It may not be the prefered surface but i'm much more concerned about the Titans continued use of the field than any potential WC events.
It is very true... Actually, less than 18% of NFL players choose the Field Turf over real grass. Football and Soccer players alike have been quoted saying that Field Turf is a lot tougher on their bodies. It literally cuts people's careers short. Why would you want to cut a guy's career (that is already between 4-10 years) shorter than it already is?

“The ball bounces different on the artificial stuff, the passes run a lot faster, it’s more difficult to cut and change direction, and it generally makes your body a bit more sore than if you were to play on grass,” said the Chivas USA striker Alecko Eskandarian.

Chicago Bears chairman George McCaskey on Tuesday said no changes are planned (too change to Field Turf) for a very important reason.

"It's not a money issue on the turf," McCaskey said on "The Carmen, Jurko & Harry Show" on ESPN 1000. "It's at this point, primarily it's a safety issue."

"...the studies that we have looked at have shown a higher incidence of lower leg injuries among players on artificial turf. And we want to prolong careers. We want our players to be safe. We want our investment in the players to be protected and the state of artificial turf or an infield surface is such now that we think the safest surface for our players is natural grass."

The NFL Injury and Safety Panel reported considerably higher incidences of knee and ankle injuries on infilled synthetic turf than on grass. Currently, only an abstract from this study has been released and the full study has yet to appear in a scientific journal. When and if that study becomes available, it will be interesting to compare the complete data set with the other studies that found no difference in injury risk.

references:
http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...-a-good-thing/
http://turf.uark.edu/turfhelp/archives/021109.html
http://www.arborage.com/ME2/dirmod.a...FE1F258F7191B8

Old
12-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

And the same reports show lower rates of concussions...

Currently the Titans playing surface is closer to playing on painted sand when conditions are good, and painted cement when it's bad.

Chargers second-year running back Michael Turner played on FieldTurf at Northern Illinois.

“In my opinion, FieldTurf is the best surface I’ve ever played on,” Turner said. “I like it better than grass. The cuts are sharp. You don’t have to worry about the grass coming up when you make a hard plant. You get more explosive cuts on FieldTurf.”

http://www.easyturf.com/2005-04-nothing-but-the

"We think it's important, and a really good sign that we see more and more professional soccer teams taking artificial playing surfaces seriously," stated Bob Hunter. "In selecting FieldTurf, I think it's a positive step toward player safety and consistent playability. FieldTurf's latest product features a fiber that is more durable and looks and stands up more like real grass. The players like playing on it and for good reason. Speed of play is a major component in the development of soccer players and what we are getting is a high-quality proven surface that is ideal for soccer."

http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroo....html?d=118251

and this site...

http://www.sounderatheart.com/pages/...ct-or-fiction/

has a lot of great info, it highlights that many of the complaints are about 1st and 2nd generation fieldturf, the newest 3rd generation has improved to rival grass surfaces with no difference in injury rates.

You can find plenty of resources to support both views, but it would seem that 3rd gen fieldturf and/or future fieldturf is definitely going to be the preferred surface around the globe in the near future.

Old
12-28-2011, 08:59 AM
utmfisher19

Interesting... I wonder how the 3rd generation FieldTurf reacts to a soccer ball bouncing off of it. Does it race away or does the "grass" settle the ball down as it should...

Also, one of the links I showed mentioned the FieldTurf wasn't exactly "cheaper" in terms of maintenance costs. Do you know if this new generation of FieldTurf is indeed cheaper?

I'm interested to try this stuff out now. I wonder if baseball will turn to it?

Old
12-28-2011, 09:31 AM
pekkaslap

A vast majority of NFL players prefer playing on a natural surface. Fieldturf and artificial surfaces in general cause a lot more injuries too.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Interesting... I wonder how the 3rd generation FieldTurf reacts to a soccer ball bouncing off of it. Does it race away or does the "grass" settle the ball down as it should...

Also, one of the links I showed mentioned the FieldTurf wasn't exactly "cheaper" in terms of maintenance costs. Do you know if this new generation of FieldTurf is indeed cheaper?

I'm interested to try this stuff out now. I wonder if baseball will turn to it?
Who knows, I read about one field, may have been a soccer pitch, where they integrated real grass and did a 50/50 blend.

On the injury research. I really want to see some solid research on professional levels. The initial research was done on high school football fields, I think there is probably too much variance at that level to accurately conclude one way or the other about the effect on injuries. How well was the surface installed? How well is it maintained? What kind of conditioning and medical staff do the HS teams have? What level of athletic ability did the players possess?

http://www.ci.wellesley.ma.us/pages/...20Analysis.pdf

I don't know the accuracy of the costs listed in that article, but it does give a solid breakdown and lists FieldTurf as significantly cheaper to maintain. I think the first list of pricing in your link is probably the most accurate, where Fieldturf ranged from 13.7k-39.2k and grass from 8.1k-49k.

Although I presume that on the professional level, Grass is more expensive as the change out the sod more often and have higher payrolls for maintenance, while lower levels will let a bad field go longer to save cost.

The biggest factor is improvement over existing conditions. The Titans have never proven that they can grow a great field with their given soil/grass types. They could bring in fresh sod 3-4 times a season, but that cost would be astronomical. The newest FieldTurf would be a big improvement here, and in 10 years when it needs replacing, the technology will be even better.

Now if you're in an area that can grow a great grass field and it doesn't need constant replacing or tremendous upkeep, it's best to stick with that.

One consideration mentioned in several articles is that more and more lower level sports are installing synthetic surfaces since they are more accessible to youth (not as much down time for watering, mowing, sodding, etc.). As more and more youth grow up playing on the FieldTurf surfaces, they are likely to become accustomed to that surface and reject natural grass on the professional level.

Old
12-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Also it seems that Football players are starting to prefer FieldTurf while Soccer players prefer grass. I think there are two main differences for this...

1. Soccer is played mostly with the ball on the actual surface. The ball responds differently on synthetic surfaces which is their main complaint. While in football, the game is played mostly with the ball in the players hands and is only on the ground for kicks. So the consideration for turf is only a matter of how it reacts underfoot.

2. Football is played with pads, and collisions mostly into the surface, the padding and surface has actually shown to reduce impact in that type of collision (hence the lower rate of head injury). Soccer has only shin pads, and their contact with the surface is mostly sliding across it, which I imagine would be more painful to the body as your knees, thighs, rear, side and arms are subject to brushing across the pellets.

Which goes back to my argument that we might host a WC event every once in a while, but the majority of use is by the hometown Titans which should be the main point of consideration.

Old
12-28-2011, 12:00 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
A vast majority of NFL players prefer playing on a natural surface. Fieldturf and artificial surfaces in general cause a lot more injuries too.
I always preferred field turf when I played.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote