HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

OT: Studying abroad Fall 2012... St. Gallen?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2011, 04:48 PM
  #1
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,942
vCash: 500
OT: Studying abroad Fall 2012... St. Gallen?

Can anybody let me know how the city of St. Gallen is for a student? I'll probably be spending 20 weeks there in the end of 2012... Thanks

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:14 AM
  #2
jonas2244
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,201
vCash: 500
Nice city, probably very small for someone from the USA.

What do you want to know? It's easier to answer specific questions.

jonas2244 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:04 AM
  #3
Belenos
Registered User
 
Belenos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Biel, Switzerland
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
Switzerland is small compared to the US and public transports are on a high standard. From St. Gallen you reach most of the bigger cities in less than 2-2,5 hours by train.

About St. Gallen i have no idea, i just went once there for a music festival. (Normally in the last days of june)

Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:18 AM
  #4
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2244 View Post
Nice city, probably very small for someone from the USA.

What do you want to know? It's easier to answer specific questions.
How big is it?
Do you think it would be a nice city for a foreigner to go to?
Do you think most people would understand english there?
How long of a train ride would it take to get to places like Austria, Luxembourg, Germany, Czech, Italy, etc?
How are the ladies
What else should I know about the town?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
Switzerland is small compared to the US and public transports are on a high standard. From St. Gallen you reach most of the bigger cities in less than 2-2,5 hours by train.

About St. Gallen i have no idea, i just went once there for a music festival. (Normally in the last days of june)
How is the weather generally?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:46 PM
  #5
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
How big is it?
Do you think it would be a nice city for a foreigner to go to?
Do you think most people would understand english there?
How long of a train ride would it take to get to places like Austria, Luxembourg, Germany, Czech, Italy, etc?
How are the ladies
What else should I know about the town?


How is the weather generally?
for many of your questions ... watch on internet ... Wikipedia ... and also look for the train.

You may get some very cheap alternatives for some countries by planes via easy-jet. cheaper than the train and very convenient.
By train .. : Luxembourg 10hours ... italy 5 rome 10, Paris 10 Germany 2 hours or 10 depending where you go.

Girls ? in Saint Gallen ?? no girls. Many students in technology ... low % of ladies !.
and many militaries ;-)

i exaggerate ;-) but their is no concentration of girls ! as you understood already Czechia would be more appropriate for this.

How many people do understand English ? sincerely i don't know ! ... and to make it more complicate ... the language their is Swiss German ... so forget to learn it (although i met an Australian on a plane that was speaking perfectly Swiss German ... but that was really an exception !)
I guess for the easy things it should be fine. And generally Swiss people tend to be seriously polyglots so ... you will see that almost everybody know the main words for politeness and to serve their specific role in society. (most Swiss people speak 2 or 3 languages ... 4 or 5 becomes good !)

Weather is better (warmer) than in Edmonton and colder than California. -5 in winter to + 30 in summer. Rain is ok (reliably present) . if you have a frog, he will be happy. grass is always green. Very green!

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:24 PM
  #6
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,942
vCash: 500
Wow thanks! I already have a good foundation in French and will be fluent by the time I go to St. Gallen. Is French a viable language in that region of Switzerland?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:10 PM
  #7
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Wow thanks! I already have a good foundation in French and will be fluent by the time I go to St. Gallen. Is French a viable language in that region of Switzerland?
it is one of the national languages ... so sure, very viable !
you should be able to communicate seriously in french with 2/3 of the people !

They have a serious Swiss German accent ... it is a 1000 kgs heavy accent ! but they sure will understand and communicate with you. You are safe !
English should also make it. But for more superficial discussion and with more misunderstandings.

And by the way ... i see that you come from Chicago. So in no way cities will be like yours ! the biggest city in Switzerland is Zurich and it counts around 800'000 (zurich city !) St Gallen ... 72'000 inhabitants !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland

Study a bit the history of the country ... you will discover something very interesting beyond banks, chocolate and cheese and usual other clichés!

And by the way, girls will be with no comparaison more feminine than in the North America. (average of course !) And as you move away from the germanic regions ... this will become even more obvious ... west France and Spain ... south Itlay and east ... eastern countries.


Last edited by torero: 12-21-2011 at 10:32 PM.
torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:23 PM
  #8
primoremix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lausanne
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Wow thanks! I already have a good foundation in French and will be fluent by the time I go to St. Gallen. Is French a viable language in that region of Switzerland?
In St. Gallen it's for economy right? If you want a good university in Switzerland where you can speak french and english, try Lausanne. And you'll see nice ladies and the craziest hockey fans even if the team is in the second division.

primoremix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 06:32 AM
  #9
mrSlot
Registered User
 
mrSlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: tsürii
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Can anybody let me know how the city of St. Gallen is for a student? I'll probably be spending 20 weeks there in the end of 2012... Thanks
well first of all it`s a great university for economics and business administration - if not the best in the german speaking part of europe (including germany, austria and switzerland) what means if your a "HSG" graduate you will be able to find well paid jobs in switzerland.
"Women" is a rarely seen species at the university, but the chosen few are not bad at all
and if you`re going out at night in the city, there are a lot of beautiful women around, but they rarely speak english, but you will be fine with french I think!

If you`re already sure that you spend your semester in st. gallen, try to look out for an apartment asap. maybe the university will help you with it.

http://www.unisg.ch/de/Studium/Austa...nterkunft.aspx

because this is HFboards and you seem interested in hockey you should at least watch one icehockey game in that period of time

mrSlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:24 PM
  #10
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,942
vCash: 500
Thanks guys! And HSG is considered the top business university in Europe so I'm happy to be going there.

I'll start hunting for apartments/places to stay probably in April.

I WILL definitely go to a few NLA games and maybe make my way to the DEL!

And today when I was at the tanning place I was talking to the guy about Switzerland and he perked up. He went "do you have a steady girlfriend?" and I said no. And he want "AWHAHAHA You are going to have a BALL out there. The women... OH my god!"

So now I'm very excited

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:50 PM
  #11
Belenos
Registered User
 
Belenos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Biel, Switzerland
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
A big part of the HSG students are germans, so if you learn some words i'm sure that would help. I think torero is wrong. I think people in St.Gallen speak english better than french. (At least the people i know from the eastern region in Switzerland.) But english is spoken by most of the people, so know problem.

By train you'll have 5 hours and 26 minutes to Paris, 4h 10 to Munich, 4h 48 to Milano, 8 h to Roma. Si you really are in the heart of Europe!

St. Gallen is a soccer city, so you should probably go to see a game in the AFG-Arena. (The soccer team is currently first in the second highest division) And you should go to a FC Basel game once, huge atmosphere. For hockey you can choose whatever you want, even the smaller organizations have some nice crowd.

Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:53 AM
  #12
21
Peter The Great
 
21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Thanks guys! And HSG is considered the top business university in Europe so I'm happy to be going there.

I'll start hunting for apartments/places to stay probably in April.

I WILL definitely go to a few NLA games and maybe make my way to the DEL!

And today when I was at the tanning place I was talking to the guy about Switzerland and he perked up. He went "do you have a steady girlfriend?" and I said no. And he want "AWHAHAHA You are going to have a BALL out there. The women... OH my god!"
So now I'm very excited
He was probably mixing up Switzerland and Sweden, common mistake, I'm sorry. ;-)

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:19 AM
  #13
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
A big part of the HSG students are germans, so if you learn some words i'm sure that would help. I think torero is wrong. I think people in St.Gallen speak english better than french. (At least the people i know from the eastern region in Switzerland.) But english is spoken by most of the people, so know problem.

By train you'll have 5 hours and 26 minutes to Paris, 4h 10 to Munich, 4h 48 to Milano, 8 h to Roma. Si you really are in the heart of Europe!

St. Gallen is a soccer city, so you should probably go to see a game in the AFG-Arena. (The soccer team is currently first in the second highest division) And you should go to a FC Basel game once, huge atmosphere. For hockey you can choose whatever you want, even the smaller organizations have some nice crowd.
This is awesome thank you. And I wish I knew more German Oh well. Luckily I'll be taking classes in English. And I'm hoping to get there about a month early and do a little traveling... I'm actually very tempted to go the Austria-Slovenia-Croatia-Serbia-Macedonia-Greece route... That would be interesting... Then maybe go to Germany and Italy a few times... Very exciting

And that would be awesome to go to a soccer game I understand it's about an hour train ride from Zurich so I can go to a few Zurich NLA games too

Thank you for your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
He was probably mixing up Switzerland and Sweden, common mistake, I'm sorry. ;-)
It's just a matter of fact that all women west of the Iron Curtain are very attractive

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.