HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

“The Right Stuff” / Detroit Red Wings @ Nashville Predators 7:00pm

Old
12-26-2011, 10:13 PM
NoNecksCurse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
the LINESMAN called it. even more bovine excrement.
lol the ref from the blueline? sorry should of had better lingo. agree.. dont see how he made that call. his angle to where the puck was would have made it literally impossible to see if the puck was over the line.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:20 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Watching at home I thought it was a goal and actuallu the best angle was from out in front of the goal. Puck clearly seemed to go in and behind the post before pekka pushed it back out.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:27 PM
cleangene

Has Trotz & company EVER worked on passing the puck drills???? Watching the difference between the way the wings pass and the gold is AMAZING. I still can't believe how very, very, very, very, very, very, VERY soft most all preds are on the puck- there must have been at least 20 turnovers or stolen passes by the wings, and when the preds did have a shot taken (with the exception of a couple of flurries) it landed softly in the mid section of Jimmy Howard. Why in the world would the Capt. and Alternate WANT to come back into this group of non-threats????????

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:38 PM
pekkaslap

Weber/Suter are gone, it's just a matter of time.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
Weber/Suter are gone, it's just a matter of time.
If the team doesn't improve I agree. Tonight highlights why we need these guys to be competitive.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:51 PM
pekkaslap

I mean if I look at it logically from both their points of view. Those 2 guys are the team let's face it. If they're both playing together at the same time, at a high level the Preds a a decent to pretty good team. Without one of them we're mediocre to bad, without both we're a horrible, bottom dwelling team. So if the team can't/won't bring in the forwards talent necessary to compete for the cup along with signing both these guys, why would they sign? It seems like a bit of a crap sandwich, perpetually banging our head against a brick wall of mediocrity, but that's the way it seems it's going to be. Constantly seeing a revolving door of talent coming in for a few years then leaving. Such is life as a Preds fan I guess, lol. Oh well, I still love this team.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:54 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Just got back. Notes from tonight:

Detroit fans in front of me represented their city accurately. Thats all im saying on the matter.

Suter looked disinterested at best. Just looked like he didnt care.

Ellis was better than expected.

Weird review. A non goal stands as a goal? bizarre. I thought there was no conclusive evidence and whatever was called on the ice should have stood, goal or not.

Just to add to that, Ellis' breakout pass led to the play that led to Blum's goal. Ellis was off the ice by the time Blum shot so Ellis did not even get the plus.

12-26-2011, 10:56 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
I mean if I look at it logically from both their points of view. Those 2 guys are the team let's face it. If they're both playing together at the same time, at a high level the Preds a a decent to pretty good team. Without one of them we're mediocre to bad, without both we're a horrible, bottom dwelling team. So if the team can't/won't bring in the forwards talent necessary to compete for the cup along with signing both these guys, why would they sign? It seems like a bit of a crap sandwich, perpetually banging our head against a brick wall of mediocrity, but that's the way it seems it's going to be. Constantly seeing a revolving door of talent coming in for a few years then leaving. Such is life as a Preds fan I guess, lol. Oh well, I still love this team.
I'm gonna wait till the whole situation pans out before passing judgement. I agree on your points though.. they are our team pretty much right now .. but poile may get them some help, we dont know yet. this coming summer will be the biggest one ever for the preds (heard that before).. and if/when it becomes obvious we will lose them, I will be very disappointed and assume major changes will be on the horizon.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:57 PM
leotroy82

good game preds fans.

leotroy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:04 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

I think its a specious argument to say that we suck without weber and suter so they will therefore leave because we suck if they aren't here. Any team would suck if they lost a pair of defensemen like them. Our offense hasn't been that bad. Its the rest of our defense after suter and weber that has made us look crappy this year.

Poile has time to make this better. Webers injury is likely to force his hand but in the end that may be a good thing

Old
12-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Detroit fans in front of me represented their city accurately. Thats all im saying on the matter.
The girl who made the megatron gesture?

Quote:
Suter looked disinterested at best. Just looked like he didnt care.
Suter played half the game and was charged with leading a squad of rookies all night. How is he supposed to look? he could only do so much and it had to be frustrating for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Awful game.
It was a decent game, Preds had plenty of chances. Officiating was not terrible. It was just like the good old days where the Wings caught the breaks and Howard was dominant. Imagine if the 2nd goal had been called no-goal on ice, that call would have stood without conclusive evidence, the Preds don't come out flat and allow the 3rd goal... then it's an entirely different game. That one call totally deflated the Preds and basically determined the game. But The Preds played fairly well without the captain, and created plenty of scoring chances.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:14 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
It was a decent game, Preds had plenty of chances. Officiating was not terrible. It was just like the good old days where the Wings caught the breaks and Howard was dominant. Imagine if the 2nd goal had been called no-goal on ice, that call would have stood without conclusive evidence, the Preds don't come out flat and allow the 3rd goal... then it's an entirely different game. That one call totally deflated the Preds and basically determined the game. But The Preds played fairly well without the captain, and created plenty of scoring chances.
Beyond the Wings second goal there was the Halischuk/Geoffrion break in 2on1 ... Smith missing a couple of early chances ... Hornqvist lifting the puck over Howard and the crossbar ... plenty of chances in the first two periods that the team simply didn't capitalize on.

We turned the puck over far too often, and failed to capitalize on the chances we had. The Wings made us pay for just about every lapse in the first 40 minutes and won because of it.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:30 AM
predfan98

Frankly, I don't think that another dman is going to make all that much difference if the forwards continue to play as horrid as they have.

the red wings played as a 5 man unit, we look like a scrambling bunch of nothingness for the most part. i don't know how many times i saw NO forward in front of the net.

you can't beat a good goalie if he can see everything.

and how many times a forward passed a weak or "no look" pass to a red wing player.

imo, almost every "inexperienced" forward is playing better than the experienced forwards. (geoffion needs to go back to milwaukee, he's the exception)
the rest of our experienced forwards....not enough hustle, follow thru, everything...

i think most of our d looked fine for the situation they were in..... i had to smile when i saw ellis take on holmstrom and not get pushed around. suter looked a little stressed, but still had the effort.

our lines are very stagnant and need to be shaken up.

i have to wonder what is going on in the locker room also....do we have too many quiet "leaders" that aren't leading anything on the ice right now , also.

we were outcoached and outplayed....

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Frankly, I don't think that another dman is going to make all that much difference if the forwards continue to play as horrid as they have.

the red wings played as a 5 man unit, we look like a scrambling bunch of nothingness for the most part. i don't know how many times i saw NO forward in front of the net.

and how many times a forward passed a weak or "no look" pass to a red wing player.

imo, almost every "inexperienced" forward is playing better than the experienced forwards. (geoffion needs to go back to milwaukee, he's the exception)
the rest of our experienced forwards....not enough hustle, follow thru, everything...

i think most of our d looked fine for the situation they were in..... i had to smile when i saw ellis take on holmstrom and not get pushed around. suter looked a little stressed, but still had the effort.

i have to wonder what is going on in the locker room also....do we have too many quiet "leaders" that aren't leading anything on the ice right now , also.

Good post. I agree with everything with one exception. Shaking up the lines won't do a thing.

IMO this is a very sorry bunch of forwards. Erat is our best puck handler and playmaker, and he would be a 2nd/3rd line forward on most Stanley Cup contending teams.

Our forwards make nothing happen in the neutral zone. Their puck possession time always lags our opponents.

Prederator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:27 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post

Im starting to wonder if this isnt the problem with this team.

Something just isnt right, nobody seems to be playing with any heart, and I have to think Weber's dicking around with his contract and Suters seeming reluctance to sign has sapped their ability to act as leaders in the locker room... I can certainly see someone saying to them "how can you call my commitment into question when yours is clearly questionable?"

Wishing now we'd made Legwand the "C"....

Old
12-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Im starting to wonder if this isnt the problem with this team.

Something just isnt right, nobody seems to be playing with any heart, and I have to think Weber's dicking around with his contract and Suters seeming reluctance to sign has sapped their ability to act as leaders in the locker room... I can certainly see someone saying to them "how can you call my commitment into question when yours is clearly questionable?"

Wishing now we'd made Legwand the "C"....
Captain Inconsistent? Some nights Legwand will play like a lion and other nights like a kitten. Weber and Suter are pretty much (here and there they have **** ups) consistent in their play but they usually let their play speak for itself. This year, however, I think the team still lacks identity and can't seem to consistently rally behind these guys. Sure we have resiliency, but that only gets you so far. More 60 minute efforts, better play by forwards in both zones, and defense clearing the crease are the only things that are going to make this team good. Its maddening when they DO show that potential one night and fail to do it another.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:45 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Captain Inconsistent? Some nights Legwand will play like a lion and other nights like a kitten. Weber and Suter are pretty much (here and there they have **** ups) consistent in their play but they usually let their play speak for itself. This year, however, I think the team still lacks identity and can't seem to consistently rally behind these guys. Sure we have resiliency, but that only gets you so far. More 60 minute efforts, better play by forwards in both zones, and defense clearing the crease are the only things that are going to make this team good. Its maddening when they DO show that potential one night and fail to do it another.
there more to being a captain than play on the ice.

My concern is that with their contract situations being what they are they either arent totally focused on leading the team or else their commitment is being called into question.

Would really be interesting to know if there are leadership "factions" in the room and who is in what "camp"

Old
12-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
there more to being a captain than play on the ice.

My concern is that with their contract situations being what they are they either arent totally focused on leading the team or else their commitment is being called into question.

Would really be interesting to know if there are leadership "factions" in the room and who is in what "camp"
I find it really hard to believe that Suter and Weber are interested in staying here after witnessing the kind of offensive power teams like the Redwings possess. With those two on the D line backed by Rinne, this team can contend for a Cup if and only if they upgrade the forwards lines. The group we have now won't get us there.

Prederator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Preds311

I don't think pending contracts, etc have any type of lockerroom cancer situations for a current season....maybe if it was a holdout situation in the preseason, but not 30 or so games into a season.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:00 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds311 View Post
I don't think pending contracts, etc have any type of lockerroom cancer situations for a current season....maybe if it was a holdout situation in the preseason, but not 30 or so games into a season.
i don't agree.

what happened with weber and going to arbitration this summer is seemingly written all over this team. someone earlier had some stat about how few players remain with their team after this happens. remember how unfocused weber was when he worried about making the olympic team.

and with suter not making a commitment........

i do think people are looking around and wondering, and these 2 are the leaders.

the team had a noticeable improvement in their play after pekka was re signed.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:01 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Sometimes a smiley really does say it all

Old
12-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Iron Duke

I find it hard to lay the blame on the offense when the team's biggest problem continues to be the inability to GET THE FRIGGIN PUCK OUT OF THE ZONE. Your forwards aren't going to be able to do much offensively when they spend 45 seconds defending in their zone and have to dump and change when they finally do get the puck.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:34 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
I find it hard to lay the blame on the offense when the team's biggest problem continues to be the inability to GET THE FRIGGIN PUCK OUT OF THE ZONE. Your forwards aren't going to be able to do much offensively when they spend 45 seconds defending in their zone and have to dump and change when they finally do get the puck.
We're failing to play collective team defense for any length of time. It's usually right up to the point where Pete and Terry mention how good the team is doing ... then the wheels fall off. Weak clear attempts, blind passes when the lane is there to skate the puck out of the zone, poor decision making all around.

From Twitter:
Smashville247
In a conversation with Poile last night, he said that they are taking the holidays off in Suter/Weber negotiations, will resume in January.

But the Suter and Weber are definitely gone ... so gone that they continue to negotiate. Maybe they leave, maybe they stay ... but nothing is definite as yet.

Old
12-27-2011, 04:00 PM
naihlflames

After watching a Preds game without Weber, I think his price just went up $500,000-$1,000,000 per year.

naihlflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:13 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by naihlflames View Post
After watching a Preds game without Weber, I think his price just went up $500,000-$1,000,000 per year.
You can't lose 2 of your top 3 defensemen. As good as Weber is, Klein is a valuable piece on the blue line as well. We dressed 3 rookies last night, one of which played his first game and one who hasn't played 20 games yet. We also have a defenseman that is new to the team and the system in Hillen. Not a recipe for success.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote