HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Gm #36: Kings vs Coyotes, 12/26/11, Post Game WIN thoughts & tidbits

Old
12-27-2011, 10:21 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

vCash: 500
Hs there been any updates on how David Courtney is doing? I hope he's feeling better.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
The Kings might only have scored 2 again, if they had faced a stronger goaltender.
ye but they also created a ton of chances, even when looking at chances only against mcacalcacaheheniy, JJ hit the post, Richardson hit the post when he had 2/3's of the net open to aim for, Williams hit a almost certain goal hit the top of mc's stick then onto the post.

The Kings very easily could have scored 6 or 7 tonight, good signs

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:09 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
ye but they also created a ton of chances, even when looking at chances only against mcacalcacaheheniy, JJ hit the post, Richardson hit the post when he had 2/3's of the net open to aim for, Williams hit a almost certain goal hit the top of mc's stick then onto the post.

The Kings very easily could have scored 6 or 7 tonight, good signs
I hope these are good signs. None of the goals came from what would be called a prime scoring area though. Kings were basically throwing the puck at the net on those shots and with JLB in goal 4 of them found the back of the net.

Nice to see Kopitar trying to take it to the middle more though. He needs to keep doing that instead of taking what the defense gives him.

Best wishes to David Courtney, hope he is better soon.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:21 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Hs there been any updates on how David Courtney is doing? I hope he's feeling better.
Not as of yet. The only reason I got the update that I was because he was in the and they sent out a mass e-mail to AEG employees.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:28 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

I hope David Courtney is okay. On the telecast, Bob said "flu like symptoms" for him.

Good game. It's funny to see this team a little scramble-y on D, but much better on O. I loved watching the back and forth play with rushes from both sides.

IMO, Williams played a LOT better, except for the one shift he fell down 3 times with no one around. I'm assuming his skate lost its edge or something.

I love to see Sutter talk to the players on the bench. It's awesome!

Quick didn't look great (but man was that one save from across awesome in the 3rd!), but the team finally won one for him. It's about time.

I figured someone was hurt, but sadly couldn't figure out who, because Gagne has been invisible anyway. Right before the Brown goal, I was like WTF? Fraser is on the 1st line, then he causes the turnover and we score. I really like Fraser (though he shouldn't be on the first line)!

Jack may have been a plus this game, but he didn't have a very good game. If you're going to take a penalty when a guy has a step on you, you make sure he CAN'T score. That was terrible. He looked lost most game IMO.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:32 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
It seems like only yesterday there were threads dedicated to reasons why JLB was not a #1 goaltender and people refuted those reasons with anger. Where are those people now? Very entertaining game to watch, JLB playing that hybrid stand up style which should have him placed in my rec league helped a lot. The Kings seem to be playing with a lot more enthusiasm and I swear I thought I saw a few cross ice passes in the offensive zone. I thought the puck wasn't allowed to go across ice and could only travel in a U direction?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:33 AM
MsWoof

Has there been any word on Gags?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Mully12
John Jackson!

Send a message via AIM to Mully12 Send a message via Yahoo to Mully12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Has there been any word on Gags?
I've only heard "upper-body injury".

Mully12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Jack may have been a plus this game, but he didn't have a very good game. If you're going to take a penalty when a guy has a step on you, you make sure he CAN'T score. That was terrible. He looked lost most game IMO.
I'm sorry but that's a load of horsesh!t. Aside from that goal, how did Jack Johnson not have a very good game? This is yet another example of how unfairly vilified Johnson is on here.

I guess you overlooked the three strong defensive plays Johnson made soon after that goal in preventing Taylor Pyatt from cutting to the net and also cutting off the Coyotes from entering the zone. Or his shot-pass to Penner right in the middle of the ice that generated a good scoring chance, or his shot that hit the post.

Johnson played just fine after that goal, I think some of your brains are automatically programmed to just hate on him no matter what he does. How about we start tearing Voynov apart for missing his assignments? He was running around at times as well and was on the ice for a similar goal that was scored while Johnson was on the ice.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

the difference between Murray and Sutter in post game interviews....I love it.

Murray:

"(on his between period message to the team…)
MURRAY: “At the end of the day, if you’re going to live up to the expectations and be a good hockey club, you as an individual, you as a hockey player, when you’re sitting in there, that’s where your responsibility is. You have to make that decision. It’s an attitude that pushes you up to the next level. I’ve said this to the players before. If you line everybody up on the goal line and you race everybody to the far goal line in this league, the difference is very, very little. There might not be a difference with some teams. Minnesota is the No. 1 team in the league right now. They’re a good team. They’ve got good balance. But they work hard, they’re intense and their attitude is right. I like our team a lot. We’ve got good people. Most every game, we bring the right attitude with the right compete. But it has to be there for 60 minutes. That’s the start of the game. That’s the start of the second period. That happens in Anaheim, with a little hand-off play. You have to execute the details. Those things are the difference in games today. The parity, everybody is so close. It’s just the focus that you have to have, the attitude that you have to have, to be ready to go, the right way, right from the very start right through to the very end.’’

Darryl Sutter:

(on his message to the team between periods)
“Well, we weren’t that strong in the second. We just wanted to have a better third, as a group. It really didn’t matter what the score was.’’

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:02 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

From the LAKings twitter:

David Courtney says he is feeling much better....he left last night's game feeling ill...

Old
12-27-2011, 12:05 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'm sorry but that's a load of horsesh!t. Aside from that goal, how did Jack Johnson not have a very good game? This is yet another example of how unfairly vilified Johnson is on here.

I guess you overlooked the three strong defensive plays Johnson made soon after that goal in preventing Taylor Pyatt from cutting to the net and also cutting off the Coyotes from entering the zone. Or his shot-pass to Penner right in the middle of the ice that generated a good scoring chance, or his shot that hit the post.

Johnson played just fine after that goal, I think some of your brains are automatically programmed to just hate on him no matter what he does. How about we start tearing Voynov apart for missing his assignments? He was running around at times as well and was on the ice for a similar goal that was scored while Johnson was on the ice.
WOWZERS, that's just my opinion! Sensitive much? I thought he didn't have a good game. I didn't watch him intently, but I mostly noticed his poor play over his strong play. I'm actually a huge JJ fan and usually say only good things about him. IMO, he needed to tie up Torres on the goal. He half assed it, which led to a goal. If you're going to take a penalty, you make sure the guy can't score. End of story.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Old
12-27-2011, 12:06 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
the difference between Murray and Sutter in post game interviews....I love it.

Murray:

"(on his between period message to the team…)
MURRAY: “At the end of the day, if you’re going to live up to the expectations and be a good hockey club, you as an individual, you as a hockey player, when you’re sitting in there, that’s where your responsibility is. You have to make that decision. It’s an attitude that pushes you up to the next level. I’ve said this to the players before. If you line everybody up on the goal line and you race everybody to the far goal line in this league, the difference is very, very little. There might not be a difference with some teams. Minnesota is the No. 1 team in the league right now. They’re a good team. They’ve got good balance. But they work hard, they’re intense and their attitude is right. I like our team a lot. We’ve got good people. Most every game, we bring the right attitude with the right compete. But it has to be there for 60 minutes. That’s the start of the game. That’s the start of the second period. That happens in Anaheim, with a little hand-off play. You have to execute the details. Those things are the difference in games today. The parity, everybody is so close. It’s just the focus that you have to have, the attitude that you have to have, to be ready to go, the right way, right from the very start right through to the very end.’’

Darryl Sutter:

(on his message to the team between periods)
“Well, we weren’t that strong in the second. We just wanted to have a better third, as a group. It really didn’t matter what the score was.’’
Hilarious and SO true. I will say, watching Sutter do pre and post game interviews is pretty painful though. You just want to shake him when he stands there for like 2 minutes and says 2 words so quietly, no one can hear him. LOL I liked how someone asked him about Kopi's performance and he said it was about the team, not one player.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
WOWZERS, that's just my opinion! Sensitive much? I thought he didn't have a good game. I didn't watch him intently, but I mostly noticed his poor play over his strong play. I'm actually a huge JJ fan and usually say only good things about him. IMO, he needed to tie up Torres on the goal. He half assed it, which led to a goal. If you're going to take a penalty, you make sure the guy can't score. End of story.
He didn't half ass it, he was overpowered by Torres who to his credit, made a very strong play. Johnson didn't have the body angle as he was chasing Torres from behind, and that entire play started from a Williams turnover. Johnson didn't let Torres walk in and score. And like I said, he played just fine after that shift. Didn't have any breakdowns or errors that led to goals or scoring chances. Made some strong defensive plays on Langkow and Pyatt among others and created scoring chances.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:08 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post

Wow, you guys are REALLY sensitive about Jack right now. I can't say ANYTHING bad about his play? Okay, that goal by Torres wasn't his fault then. He wasn't the one that was out of position that led to the semi-breakaway, and he wasn't the guy who didn't take him out of the play so he could score a goal. Trust me, I'm a JJ fan and one of the few who DON'T want to see him traded.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:15 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
From the LAKings twitter:

David Courtney says he is feeling much better....he left last night's game feeling ill...
That's good to hear.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Wow, you guys are REALLY sensitive about Jack right now. I can't say ANYTHING bad about his play? Okay, that goal by Torres wasn't his fault then. He wasn't the one that was out of position that led to the semi-breakaway, and he wasn't the guy who didn't take him out of the play so he could score a goal. Trust me, I'm a JJ fan and one of the few who DON'T want to see him traded.

Okay good.

Cause it was Williams who made the stupid decision of taking the puck into a gaggle of players and taking a low percentage shot which was blocked.

Jack was at the point where he should have been. Torres had forward momentum from the shot block, jack was stationary. Torres is a speedy player also which helped him get a step.

Because Torres had a break Jack did the right thing and took a penalty, a "professional" foul if you will. But Torres made a FANTASTIC play and got himself free of the hook and put a great shot in.

If there is one problem with these boards that is an epidemic of sorts...it's always having to blame someone, even when it's not warranted.

Can we not just simply say Jack made a good play in a bad situation... the right play, but Torres made an even better one? I think that's perfectly acceptable to say, don't you?

It was like people with Cloutier and Labs back in the day. They were terrible goalies, awful. But some goals were just simply not their faults, but since no one could find anything wrong with what happened aside from it being a perfectly legitimate goal and play by an opposing team, it was automatically "Beach ball strikes again." sort of ****. Piling on is easy to do.

If you REALLY wanna blame someone on that play...you should look at number 14. And even then he didn't necessarily do much wrong...he walked into the slot and tried to shoot...granted there were 4 or 5 guys in front of him....he still tried to take a shot. Just credit Torres with a good play and move on.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
TSN reported that Gagne has a concussion. Weber and Liles also just suffered concussions.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Whiskeypete

is it just me? everytime i see sutter, i think of Sloth and the Goonies (which is still an awesome movie btw)

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Nex06

Quote:
I liked how someone asked him about Kopi's performance and he said it was about the team, not one player.
I wanted to post exactly the same. I thought Kopi deserved his first star of the game, but I liked the way Sutter handled the question. There is no need for coach to single out one player in the team, just because he played the way he expected him to.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
TSN reported that Gagne has a concussion. Weber and Liles also just suffered concussions.
Oh man... well, that was the risk that Lombardi took. I am sure few people will criticize him even more over this signing now.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:11 PM
MsWoof

Gags has had so many concussions. He had one during the playoffs last year with TB and a bad one with Philly a few years ago. He needs to start thinking about retirement...seriously.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:13 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

From David Courtney's twitter:

Thanks for your prayers and concern. Better after E.R. visit from severe food poisoning. Glad Kings got W, sad not there at end to say it.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Oh man... well, that was the risk that Lombardi took. I am sure few people will criticize him even more over this signing now.
Sucks. I like Gagne when he's healthy, smooth like butter. Noone should criticize DL on that deal because he was the second best available FA after the other Richards. Also Gagne was available on the cheap. On the bright side, looks like we'll be trading for a winger sooner than later.

C. Stewart please. I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather get Stewart+another better bottom 6 guy than one Parise.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote