HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Shakeup of roster looms as Rangers get healthier

Old
12-27-2011, 12:29 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Sent: Dec 27, 2011 1:23p

Torts also says he is undecided what to do with #NYR lineup when it is deemed that Wojtek Wolski is healthy enough to return

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/thenyrangers/stat...29877324800003

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Torts really likes Mitchy.

Sent: Dec 27, 2011 1:25p

Torts on John Mitchell: "he has played really well...he has pushed some people out of the lineup"

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/JimCerny/status/151730371141185536

Old
12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sent: Dec 27, 2011 1:25p

Torts also made sure to point out strong play from Mitchell. Sure doesn't sound like he is coming out of the lineup #NYR

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/s...30544294637569

Old
12-27-2011, 12:36 PM
beastly115

Behind Gaborik, Hagelin has been our best goal scorer the past 10 games. Why people are taking him off Richards' line is beyond me. It's times like this I'm glad our coach is much smarter than the posters here.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:37 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I would disagree with how the Dubi/Boyle/Mitchell line has been playing They've become a very effective grinding/defensive line, as they've been able to were down teams in the 3rd period. You need a line like that come playoff time.
I would agree with this howver you also need offensive contributions from those guys to go deep in the playoffs and right now that line isn't providing any offense...can things change between now and April of course, but right now the offense is being generated by just 2 lines.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:49 PM
SixGoalieSystem
Playaff poosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Behind Gaborik, Hagelin has been our best goal scorer the past 10 games. Why people are taking him off Richards' line is beyond me. It's times like this I'm glad our coach is much smarter than the posters here.
The same coach who two games ago said of the Hags-Rich-Cally-line: "They were nothing special" and then switched back to playing Dubi on Richards' LW (though admitedly changed back after just one period)?

Give the posters on this board a little credit. They are looking for ways to get our $50M UFA center going. It's obvious that he's missing a scoring winger, and some of us think that might be Wolski. Hags can still produce on a line with Dubi and Boyle.

Hags is awesome, but Wolski has more skill, more creativity and a better shot. If he get's going (big if, I know), he can be a very important contributor to this team.

I have no problem with people wanting Hags to stay on the 2nd line, there are reasonable arguments for keeping him there, but don't lable those who disagree as "less smart".There are sound arguments both ways. Some would say "don't change what's working", others would say: "You need to look for things to improve even when you're doing well."

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Dec 27, 2011 1:23p

Torts also says he is undecided what to do with #NYR lineup when it is deemed that Wojtek Wolski is healthy enough to return

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/thenyrangers/stat...29877324800003

KatieStrangESPN :
#NYR When asked about the plan for Wolski once he returns, Torts said itís not a given he will be back in lineup

Did Sather find a suitor for Wolski?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Are you going to ignore Wolski's track record of producing at the NHL level? Knowing you, yes, you are - but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Noone is saying hes the perfect solution, or even a solution. But hes been kept around for a reason, and is going to get first crack at 2nd line LW before the team starts looking outside the organization for another offensive threat.
He had 1 50 point season followed by 3 40 point seasons before the Av's tired of his half hearted play.

So, you might see a guy who can score some points, I see a guy who shows up for half the games and routinely coast. It is not a coincedence that he has been on 3 teams already.

Guys like him are not what you win with...he is kept around because he fools you into believing you can fix him...just like Zherdev, Lisin, EC and the like...skill, just no drive or heart or whatever it is that is missing.

I hope I am wrong...not sure when he gets in the lineup but when he does, I hope he scores 20 goals...i just don't see it.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:17 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

1st: AA - Stepan - Gabby = WW is a downgrade at any of those positions

2nd: Hagelin - Richards - Cally = again WW is a major downgrade

3rd: Mitchell - Boyle - Dubs = Can't say I see WW as a major downgrade here to a Mitchell - Dubs - WW, or Boyle - Dubs - WW line. But Jack Capuono? (sp?) all but came out and said that the NYR had guys that were grinding them to dust. He's not the firstÖ JD also alluded to the physicality in the NYR line-up, as did Ron Wilson.

I think this line causes problems for other lines, and traps top units in their own zone, manning up against their forecheck pressure. I know there's always a myriad of opinions here, but my opinion is that we are stronger having a 3rd and 4th line that both can be very physical.

The 4th is well suited to physicality and responsible defensive play.

The 3rd is well suited toward physicality and heavy forecheck pressure with some offensive creativity.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:36 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Richards-Callahan
Dubinsky-Boyle-Wolski
Fedotenko-Rupp-Prust

Those top 3 lines are filthy. Dubinsky and Boyle would create so much room for Wolski, everybody on that line can pot 20+ goals (ya ya Boyle may never do it again I know) and Wolski / Dubinsky building some chemistry would go a long way.

I mean really, if our leading scorer last year and a guy with as much potential as Wolski are on the 3rd line, we're in a really good position. If both of them play at even 75% of their potential that's one of the best 3rd lines in the league.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:38 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Interesting tidbits on Wolski and the lineup from Torts...

I think maybe a solid move could be made for a defensive/faceoff center to center the fourth line...

Who would be available? Who would be a good option?

Boyd Gordon?

Someone to take key defensive faceoffs. Like a Blair Betts.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:48 PM
eco's bones

On the cusp forwards:

Jury's out on Wolski and we won't know for sure until we see him actually producing in a top 6 role because he's not a bottom liner and he makes too much money anyway. Good chance he gets moved at the deadline. Very good chance he doesn't return next year unless he's willing to take a (potentially large) pay cut. In the meantime I'm not against Torts kicking the tires with him--see what he can do. Best to be at least a little open minded.

Avery--he's a favorite of mine but I don't think he's necessarily better than anyone else we have on the bottom lines. Very good chance he gets waived and not picked up. Not much chance he gets traded. Almost no chance the Rangers sign him again. At this point he's not a Tort's favorite but wouldn't mind him finishing the season in the organization if for no other reason he's a pretty decent insurance policy later on in case someone gets hurt.

EC--could be an insurance policy as well. I think he gets waived too. More of a chance someone picks him up if for no other reason he has a relatively small cap hit. Occasionally he can be a difference maker but he floats too much. He is still a legit NHL player. Could easily be a regular on 10-12 other maybe not playoff teams.

Mitchell I think is going to be here the remainder of the season. There may be occasions when he gets sat out but I think he's going to be in the lineup most nights. There's nothing spectacular about his game but he's good in both ends and along the walls. A prototypical 3rd-4th line jack of all trades.

Hagelin has NHL written all over him. He's not going anywhere.

Rupp--is a guy I can see out of the lineup now and again. But he'll stick around if for no other reason his size and toughness.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:49 PM
cenas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
KatieStrangESPN :
#NYR When asked about the plan for Wolski once he returns, Torts said itís not a given he will be back in lineup

Did Sather find a suitor for Wolski?
I'm sure this is just a part of the coaches rhetoric so to speak. He might or might not be a lock to return to the line up, but the coach can't really say that he is..

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:01 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

I think maybe a solid move could be made for a defensive/faceoff center to center the fourth line...

Boyd Gordon?

I was actually thinking about him as a deadline pickup. Good on faceoffs, strong defensively, good PKer, and the fact that he's with Phoenix means he can probably be had at a reasonable price. At the same time, his offense is negligible. Depending on the asking price, I'd rather snag a Tuomo Ruutu.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Bardof425

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Boyd Gordon?

Boyd Gordon would be a nice upgrade on the 4th line. Blair Betts????? the myth that he was any good on draws will not die. He was our worst faceoff guy when he was here which is why he was so active on the defensive side of the puck; the guy never had the biscuit because he lost draws and had no puck skills. NO on Betts!!

Bardof425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:09 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The praise for the Dubi-Boyle-Mitch line is a little overboard. Sure, they spend lots of time in the offensive zone. The problem with that line is that they never seem to move the puck off the wall. So either they need someone like Hagelin there who can create some space with his skating or they need someone like Wolski, who is more creative and can get the puck going towards the net. Either way, the line can be improved.
While I would like to see a goal here and there, I think you undersetimate how effective this is later in games.

Grnding like this down low pretty much every shift wears out a teams defence. Both physically and mentally.

I believe this grinding style is one of the reasons we have the success we have in the 3rd periods

Would it help is we scored mre often from that line, yeah, but they are doing their jobs and they are doing those jobs very well and we are seeing the results from that late in games.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of ÷zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
The same coach who two games ago said of the Hags-Rich-Cally-line: "They were nothing special" and then switched back to playing Dubi on Richards' LW (though admitedly changed back after just one period)?

Give the posters on this board a little credit. They are looking for ways to get our $50M UFA center going. It's obvious that he's missing a scoring winger, and some of us think that might be Wolski. Hags can still produce on a line with Dubi and Boyle.

Hags is awesome, but Wolski has more skill, more creativity and a better shot. If he get's going (big if, I know), he can be a very important contributor to this team.

I have no problem with people wanting Hags to stay on the 2nd line, there are reasonable arguments for keeping him there, but don't lable those who disagree as "less smart".There are sound arguments both ways. Some would say "don't change what's working", others would say: "You need to look for things to improve even when you're doing well."
One of the best posts I have seen on these forums in a long time.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Richards-Callahan
Dubinsky-Boyle-Wolski
Fedotenko-Rupp-Prust

Those top 3 lines are filthy. Dubinsky and Boyle would create so much room for Wolski, everybody on that line can pot 20+ goals (ya ya Boyle may never do it again I know) and Wolski / Dubinsky building some chemistry would go a long way.

I mean really, if our leading scorer last year and a guy with as much potential as Wolski are on the 3rd line, we're in a really good position. If both of them play at even 75% of their potential that's one of the best 3rd lines in the league.
Gotta agree with this..though it seems like torts wants to stick with mitchell. They might be looking to dump wolski, who knows. If it aint broke. It seems virtually guaranteed that avery and ec are donezo. Idk if WW is a given and I think rupp could sit out here and there, we shall see. But the bottom line is im going to be pissed as hell if the top 2 lines are touched.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post

Unfortunately neither Hagelin nor Dubinsky belong on that 2nd line with Cally and Richards. What will get our 50 mill center going is a bonafide sniper.

Wolski's too inconsistent in my opinion to put up better results than Hagelin. Where Hagelin doesn't have the scoring skill necessary, Wolski doesn't have the will and drive. That will only get him benched by our coach, leaving Richards with again another stop gap at that side of the wing.

What will get our 50 mill dollar center going is, for example, Bobby Ryan. Ryan fits the identity of the team while also providing the scoring skill needed for our center.

Hopefully if both Staal and Sauer come back healthy we can package Dubi and a defender (probably a prospect/draft pick as well) for Ryan and make 2 extremely dangerous lines.

Shift Hagelin down with Boyle and Mitchell, that line worked hte last time it was together. 4th line stays the same.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Wolski is soft, lazy and not mentally strong enough to play Tort's brand of hockey.

He is a skilled guy but doesn't mean ****....I am sure Sather is working the phones.

If we could get a 5th rounder for him it would be wise to move him.

Anyone who says Rupp is garbage should ask Dave Maloney that question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
I agree 100%

To me, WW is as consistent as EC. He definitely has the talent, but he is a lazy, lazy player.

Count me in on this too. I've been hearing Wolski touted endlessly like Zuccarello here and to a lesser extent Frolov. And I've seen nothing from any of them. Has Wolski been playing hurt all season and is really better than he has shown? He'll have to prove it first.

I'm much less impressed with Prust than I was last year. I know he tries harder than almost anyone but he's accomplished much less than last year and he has this annoying habit of fighting anyone who asks whether it's a good time to do so for his team or not. Rupp may not be the best fighter in the NHL but he can fight with the best and Prust can't.

Woywitka may be a marginal NHL player but he's restored the respect to the NY Ranger jersey #6 that Redden buried somewhere near China. And if that's not the biggest insult since I was ranking out other kid's mothers I don't know what is.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
He had 1 50 point season followed by 3 40 point seasons before the Av's tired of his half hearted play.

So, you might see a guy who can score some points, I see a guy who shows up for half the games and routinely coast. It is not a coincedence that he has been on 3 teams already.

Guys like him are not what you win with...he is kept around because he fools you into believing you can fix him...just like Zherdev, Lisin, EC and the like...skill, just no drive or heart or whatever it is that is missing.

I hope I am wrong...not sure when he gets in the lineup but when he does, I hope he scores 20 goals...i just don't see it.
Actually he had a 65 point season as recently as 2009-2010. But that was split between 2 teams, and you have to add to get that total, so I understand why you might have missed it.

In a vacuum, you have some good points. I might even agree with you. But thats not how the world works and "no heart = stinks" isnt how this situation has been or will be approached. Hes one of the more inheritantly talented players on the team, hes a LW on a team that needs some scoring punch from the left side. Hes a guy whose NHL career hangs in the balance, and if he gets the message, he can be a good asset for the team. If he doesnt, we're right back to where we started without him.

Anisimov - Stepan - Gaborik
Wolski - Richards - Callahan
Dubinsky - Boyle - Hagelin
Fedotenko - Rupp - Prust

Give Wolski the shot with Richards, scratch Mitchell who I dont think has been that impressive, and put Hagelin on the 3rd line. He has a well-rounded game and should be able to step in pretty seemlessly, unlike Wolski, who is far from a grinder.

Could have a very solid top 9 is all things break right. If Wolski is the dud hes been thus far as a Ranger, move Hagelin back up.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Unfortunately neither Hagelin nor Dubinsky belong on that 2nd line with Cally and Richards. What will get our 50 mill center going is a bonafide sniper.

Wolski's too inconsistent in my opinion to put up better results than Hagelin. Where Hagelin doesn't have the scoring skill necessary, Wolski doesn't have the will and drive. That will only get him benched by our coach, leaving Richards with again another stop gap at that side of the wing.

What will get our 50 mill dollar center going is, for example, Bobby Ryan. Ryan fits the identity of the team while also providing the scoring skill needed for our center.

Hopefully if both Staal and Sauer come back healthy we can package Dubi and a defender (probably a prospect/draft pick as well) for Ryan and make 2 extremely dangerous lines.

Shift Hagelin down with Boyle and Mitchell, that line worked hte last time it was together. 4th line stays the same.
So Richards hits a slump for a few games and all of the sudden we need to gut the team to get Bobby Ryan to get him going?

Let me guess you also think we could get him for Dubinsky and a 3rd or something?

Wrong. For a "bonafide sniper" from a team that has a atrocious defense such as Anaheims your going to look at something along the lines of McDonagh, Dubinsky, 1st.

12-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
So Richards hits a slump for a few games and all of the sudden we need to gut the team to get Bobby Ryan to get him going?
No, but without that sniper his production will not reflect that of a player being paid as much as he is.

Look at how our first line is constructed. Grinder (anisimov), set up artist (Stepan), sniper (Gaborik).

Look at how our second line is constructed. Grinder (Callahan), set up artist (Richards), grinder (Hagelin/Dubinsky/Fedotenko). Sorely lacking of the sniper.

The slump set aside -I haven't started to ask for Ryan just now. This has been for months now. For Richards to reach his full potential for us we need 1 more bonafide sniper. Otherwise his line will remain incomplete and will not be able to fulfill all the potential it has.

Old
12-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post

Let me guess you also think we could get him for Dubinsky and a 3rd or something?

Wrong. For a "bonafide sniper" from a team that has a atrocious defense such as Anaheims your going to look at something along the lines of McDonagh, Dubinsky, 1st.
No i was thinking more of:

Dubisnky, Sauer, Thomas, and a 2nd or 3rd.

Old
12-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Vitto79

The way the team is going its understandable that Torts wont just throw Wolski back in because he is healthy....the 4 current lines are doing well.

tomorrow should be interesting. I think its more likely we see both EC and Avery waived as even if they are both picked up they have 13 F.

of course neither would likely get picked up.

I could see Wolski moved for a vet rental Dman but since everyone filling in so well I doubt that as well. May as well just wait till Staal ,Sauer and Eminger are back

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote