HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2011-2012 Prospect Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2011, 04:55 PM
pattyb91

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
1g 3a in a blowout. I don't know what is up with him, but he looks SLOW. I feel like I'm watching Parenteau skate, his stride looks like it lacks serious power. He looks small out there too, he needs to add some serious size and muscle.

He looks a lot like JT did his rookie year. Waits for his wingers to get him the puck and then makes quick passes or will shoot. Definitely lacks the burst to try and carry the puck so he shows good vision with those subtle little passes. His goal was a nifty little toe drag with a surprisingly good shot, top left hand shelf. Looks like he used the screen well, the goalie never saw it.

He's showing something, but I'm really concerned with his lack of speed and burst.
I think 1g & 3a is pretty good here, he has had a part in half of his teams goals, thats not bad.

So far I am seeing some great offensive ability and creativity as well as a decent two-way game. His skating is still subpar like you said, but skating is something that can be improved. Tavares is a perfect example, if he works hard and we give him time, his skating will come around.

Old
12-26-2011, 05:09 PM
scott99

Quote:
1g 3a in a blowout. I don't know what is up with him, but he looks SLOW. I feel like I'm watching Parenteau skate, his stride looks like it lacks serious power. He looks small out there too, he needs to add some serious size and muscle.

He looks a lot like JT did his rookie year. Waits for his wingers to get him the puck and then makes quick passes or will shoot. Definitely lacks the burst to try and carry the puck so he shows good vision with those subtle little passes. His goal was a nifty little toe drag with a surprisingly good shot, top left hand shelf. Looks like he used the screen well, the goalie never saw it.

He's showing something, but I'm really concerned with his lack of speed and burst.
Geez, we have some really jaded Islander's fans here. For Christ's sake, Strome had 4 points in his first EVER WJC game, what else do you want ? A 10 point game ? It's not like he did this against Denmark, I was quite surprised Canada was able to blow out Finland so easily, Finland usually has a good team.

Listen, by the way some of you guys were describing Strome's pre tournament play, he was the worst draft pick ever. He goes out and scores 4 points in his first ever WJC game, and some of you guys act like he scored 0 points and was a -4.

One thing I noticed about the game, he wasn't getting a lot of ice time, caused a penalty and didn't even to play on the ensuing PP.

Overall, I'm very pleased, for some prospects, 1 goal 3 assists 4 points, is their total for the tournament, pretty good for one game.

Old
12-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Geez, we have some really jaded Islander's fans here. For Christ's sake, Strome had 4 points in his first EVER WJC game, what else do you want ? A 10 point game ? It's not like he did this against Denmark, I was quite surprised Canada was able to blow out Finland so easily, Finland usually has a good team.

Listen, by the way some of you guys were describing Strome's pre tournament play, he was the worst draft pick ever. He goes out and scores 4 points in his first ever WJC game, and some of you guys act like he scored 0 points and was a -4.

One thing I noticed about the game, he wasn't getting a lot of ice time, caused a penalty and didn't even to play on the ensuing PP.

Overall, I'm very pleased, for some prospects, 1 goal 3 assists 4 points, is their total for the tournament, pretty good for one game.
I agree, but you opened a can of worms. If he does not become a gretzky or crosby type, you will not hear the end of it. Even worse is if someone after him in the draft that becomes very good as well.

There is SO MUCH negativity around this franchise, players, fans and media that I feel it is a no win situation until we do turn it around, if ever.

Stay as far away from these trolls and complainers as possible, no worth a heart attack or even migranes.

The team will improve, when who knows. I would rather stockpile the minors to a point that even when we do make a trade we are still loaded. Right now, if we do a major trade we might be stunted in the growth.

The fan base for the islanders has hit rock bottom and will take a LONG time to recover. We need a 12 step program to recover from this disease.

Old
12-26-2011, 05:36 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:

Haha, I am indeed a jaded fan. I like Strome and I support him. I have since before we even drafted him. He had a good game tonight and I was very happy to see him on a line with Huberdeau and Stone. His two linemates were the most dominant players on the ice tonight and while Strome didn't look out of place with them, they carried his play. You can tell that Strome has good vision though, his quick deflection pass to Huberdeau where Stone potted the rebound - it was just like JT did to Moulson where Matty roofed it in a game last year. He did fight the puck a bit, but started to look a lot more comfortable as the game went on.

His goal, nice little toe drag and a nice wrist shot where he used the screen very well. I saw glimpses of really good things from him, but he has a really far way to go. I know that additional size and strength will come and his skating should improve as well, but let's not dream rainbows by looking just at the stats. Finland didn't show up tonight and it was over by the middle of the 2nd period.

Like I've said before, he's a projection pick. You can see that he has good vision and good offensive instincts, but his body is not ready to match his mind. He'll need to spend every waking hour in the offseason with Tavares to do EXACTLY what JT does. Strome is also still a kid and looks it. I'm not down on him at all, but I'm also keeping it real.

Old
12-26-2011, 06:27 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Haha, I am indeed a jaded fan. I like Strome and I support him. I have since before we even drafted him. He had a good game tonight and I was very happy to see him on a line with Huberdeau and Stone. His two linemates were the most dominant players on the ice tonight and while Strome didn't look out of place with them, they carried his play. You can tell that Strome has good vision though, his quick deflection pass to Huberdeau where Stone potted the rebound - it was just like JT did to Moulson where Matty roofed it in a game last year. He did fight the puck a bit, but started to look a lot more comfortable as the game went on.

His goal, nice little toe drag and a nice wrist shot where he used the screen very well. I saw glimpses of really good things from him, but he has a really far way to go. I know that additional size and strength will come and his skating should improve as well, but let's not dream rainbows by looking just at the stats. Finland didn't show up tonight and it was over by the middle of the 2nd period.

Like I've said before, he's a projection pick. You can see that he has good vision and good offensive instincts, but his body is not ready to match his mind. He'll need to spend every waking hour in the offseason with Tavares to do EXACTLY what JT does. Strome is also still a kid and looks it. I'm not down on him at all, but I'm also keeping it real.
I completely agree here. Strome has the potential to be an all star caliber player down the line, but they MUST develop him right. Right now he is small and lacks strength. He has some nifty hands and good vision. I really hope we give him a good 2 years in the minors, and if he still needs additional time give him another year in the AHL. We cannot afford to mess up on Strome.

As for his goal here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L1uO...layer_embedded

Old
12-26-2011, 06:52 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:

let's celebrate the fact he's playing on a scoring line and having success...it wasn't too long ago he was the 13th forward. He played better today.

You're completely right about him though. He needs to be much bigger, stronger, faster to play in the NHL and that will take 2-3 years at least. He's got a long way to go but remains a top prospect and no reason to sour on this kid whatsoever.

The Isles did NOT make a mistake taking him where they did.

I did think Strome was faster than he's looked though. He seems like he's not moving his feet enough. Today was a bit better but Strome needs to play with much more enthusiasm out there and really work harder. Not unlike the NHL-Isles who look awful when they aren't skating, hitting, moving their legs, on both offense and defense.

Old
12-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Symon Asher

When I here Strome is slow it makes me nervous. Someone who is picked at number 5 should have NHL speed ( Yeah I know about JT) . When you have no scouting staff and rely on a Chris Botta interview with Craig Button for your pick this is what you usually get.

Old
12-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Good to see Strome get off to a good start offensively. Canada's going to need Strome and Scheifele to carry the offensive load down the middle. Strome's on the scoreboard, but Scheifele's still looking kind of 'meh'.

On Strome's game: you can tell the kid has skills. When he gets some time and space, he can work some magic with the puck. What he's got to do between now and whenever he wants to play regularly in the NHL is work on the stuff that will allow him to create his own time and space at the next level. Skating and strength look to be his biggest issues at the moment.

Speaking of questionable skating ability, it's kind of ironic that Canada's best forward today and, arguably, in the three exhibition games, has been Mark Stone. The same Stone who dropped to a late round pick because of concerns about his skating ability. I don't know how he'll do at the next level, but the guy's certainly got a goal scoring knack.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:10 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symon Asher View Post
When I here Strome is slow it makes me nervous. Someone who is picked at number 5 should have NHL speed ( Yeah I know about JT) . When you have no scouting staff and rely on a Chris Botta interview with Craig Button for your pick this is what you usually get.
Strome certainly doesn't look slow, he's no Michael Grabner, but how many people are ? Craig Button loved Strome prior to the draft, said he was 2011's version of Skinner. Speaking of Skinner, people were worried about his skating prior to the 2010 draft, doesn't look like his skating has hampered him.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:50 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Strome certainly doesn't look slow, he's no Michael Grabner, but how many people are ? Craig Button loved Strome prior to the draft, said he was 2011's version of Skinner. Speaking of Skinner, people were worried about his skating prior to the 2010 draft, doesn't look like his skating has hampered him.
Youtube sets unrealistic expectations for prospects. Those highlight reel rushes, the slick moves, that's not what makes a great hockey player.

I feel many have the wrong impression about the kind of player Strome is.

We have to STOP looking at these teenagers as making us a better team. It's simply not realistic.

Unfortunately, our incapable GM and incompetent owner have failed to bring in players who CAN help this team so we look at teenagers our of desperation.

We don't have Bertuzzi, Helm, Cleary while Nyquist learns his game in the AHL, as the NHL team succeeds. So we whine, and blame rise not responsible (like Reasoner, Pandolfo, Staois, etc.)

Old
12-27-2011, 02:57 PM
steveat

I thought Strome was a decent pick. Actually, I don't think anyone in the top 10 made a bad pick from last years draft. In my mind, I play around wondering what would be had we drafted Dougie Hamilton. He looks amazing out there and real smart with his plays.

I noticed Schiefle playing well too, so that pick last year that left me and a few thousand other people scratching our heads WTF, actually looks pretty good out there...Zibanejad looks like a real man out there. That kid is big! I honestly think the top 15 of last years draft will all play regular minutes at the NHL level at some point or another in the next few years.

Old
12-27-2011, 03:32 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
I get the impression that I may have hit a nerve about his skating with you and many others. From what I have seen of Strome so far in the WJC (including the pre-tourney games), he will need to significantly pick up his skating for the next level. He lacks any real explosion from a stand still and it takes him too many strides to get going. He just looks physically weak out there and everything stems from that.

As he grows into a man's body, his skating is sure to improve with more power and burst. I don't think he'll ever be a burner, but he has shown me good lateral agility so he'll be elusive. His stride looks pretty good so I expect his skating won't be an issue by the time he's ready to make the jump - I don't think he'll be ready next year, he needs at least another year.

What I do see is a highly skilled, offensive player in the making. He has good vision, good hockey IQ (thought he and Huberdeau showed some chemistry against Finland), a pretty good shot, and some pretty sweet mitts. There is a lot to like, but you also see that he is clearly not physically ready. That also affects his confidence because he'd handle the puck more and look to create on his own rather than making the pass so quickly so far. He just doesn't look like he's asserting himself, probably trying to feel things out which is understandable in a short tourney. His ice time has fluctuated as well without a clearly defined role.

I know I'm being overly critical, but I'm not going to look for unicorns when they are not there. I liked the Strome pick and I still do. He's going to need time and with the impatience of Isles Nation... they are not going to like that. Right now, I think he's slow, small, and physically weak. In 2 years... that's my point.

Old
12-27-2011, 06:43 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:

WJCs are not some magic window into the future of a prospect. Many prospects who look incredible in this tournament wind up nothing special in the NHL. It can in fact jade a GM to the point they do something stupid, like the obsession Milbury developed with Rick because of his Beanpot Tournament play, or Nino's over-valuation due to his standing out during the WJC on a mostly vanilla Suisse squad.

I love the games and watch them where I can, but this is the last thing I am going to make a critical prediction off of.

Old
12-27-2011, 07:02 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
WJCs are not some magic window into the future of a prospect. Many prospects who look incredible in this tournament wind up nothing special in the NHL. It can in fact jade a GM to the point they do something stupid, like the obsession Milbury developed with Rick because of his Beanpot Tournament play, or Nino's over-valuation due to his standing out during the WJC on a mostly vanilla Suisse squad.

I love the games and watch them where I can, but this is the last thing I am going to make a critical prediction off of.
What you have to remember is, because of the team surrounding Niño, that's what makes what he did that more amazing. To upset a highly favored Russian team, a team the Swiss NEVER had beaten, and without their 2 best defenseman, was just legendary. I had no doubt that it was a coming out party for a special player, and I still think Niño will be a special player, despite the Isles mismanagement.

My feelings are, the only way they are mismanaging Niño, is they are not pairing him with a more talented/offensive center. You are setting him up for failure by not pairing him up with Tavares or Nielsen. No way he can succeed playing with Reasoner, while getting 8 minutes a game ice time. By doing that, they are wasting his time AND talent.

Old
12-27-2011, 08:10 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
From what I've seen comparing JT-Strome at the WJCs (roughly same age), Strome is a better skater (again that this juncture, comparing both at WJC point of time); his stride is also better, which suggests that he can improve his skating with less limitations than JT.

That said, and this remains to be seen, does Strome have the desire, commitment, motivation etc. to improve himself to the level of a John Tavares? JT wants to be the best in the world, he exudes that kind of mentality in his play, body language, demeanor, and training. Perhaps JT's habits will influence Strome (a good thing), however, that intrinsic motivation to better his game will come from Strome, and Strome only.

Right now (although that could change if NYI force feeds minutes to Strome next year) I am more concerned with Nino's development, NYI is doing this kid an injustice keeping him here.

Old
12-27-2011, 08:31 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
What you have to remember is, because of the team surrounding Niño, that's what makes what he did that more amazing. To upset a highly favored Russian team, a team the Swiss NEVER had beaten, and without their 2 best defenseman, was just legendary. I had no doubt that it was a coming out party for a special player, and I still think Niño will be a special player, despite the Isles mismanagement.

My feelings are, the only way they are mismanaging Niño, is they are not pairing him with a more talented/offensive center. You are setting him up for failure by not pairing him up with Tavares or Nielsen. No way he can succeed playing with Reasoner, while getting 8 minutes a game ice time. By doing that, they are wasting his time AND talent.
And Jim Craig looked incredible when we beat the Russians in 80 during the Olympics, but boy did he become quite the bust after that.

Tomas Tatar looked pretty good during his WJC on a fragile Slovak team. Not sure what that gets Detroit now.

I am not sure what we have in Nino yet. The one thing I am happy with is his size, but he plays kind of small to date, unless he's playing against kids somewhere. His game should have been bigger out of Jrs. That they are wasting this year for him is another problem. He should have gone to the SEL. It seems like they expected a Calder run from him and got "Bambi-in-the-headlights" instead. Nice talent evaluation Garf...

Old
12-27-2011, 08:58 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
And Jim Craig looked incredible when we beat the Russians in 80 during the Olympics, but boy did he become quite the bust after that.

Tomas Tatar looked pretty good during his WJC on a fragile Slovak team. Not sure what that gets Detroit now.

I am not sure what we have in Nino yet. The one thing I am happy with is his size, but he plays kind of small to date, unless he's playing against kids somewhere. His game should have been bigger out of Jrs. That they are wasting this year for him is another problem. He should have gone to the SEL. It seems like they expected a Calder run from him and got "Bambi-in-the-headlights" instead. Nice talent evaluation Garf...
I really think it's ONLY because of his ELC, allowing him a huge cap hit and low salary. The entire salary structure and contracts are based on this EXCLUSIVELY - Pandolfo, Staios (the last two signings) plus Nino, plus the back-loaded contracts to Okposo and Grabner and the whole Rolston shameful trade.

This has NOTHING to do with Nino and what's best for his development and EVERYTHING to do with minimizing salary THIS YEAR while reaching the cap floor.

Could not be more clear.

Old
12-28-2011, 10:04 AM
IslandersFan17

There is one prospect that seems like the kid fell off the face of the planet in Johan Sundstrom. Johan was one of our second round picks last year and aside from Nelson is the biggest forward we have in the system.

I know the guy only had one goal (the lone point) in 41 games last year and five total points in 30 games for the Elitserien league. However, the kid has been all over it seems like and plays well internationally.

I would like if someone could give me a better break down than this one. -

"Spelarprofil på svenska
A center, that can also play wing. Sundström has very good size, strength and speed. Has nice hands and hockey sense. Doesn't mind going into high-traffic areas. Is very well-rounded. Has tremendous reach. Pretty good release. Some consistency issues. (EP 2011)"- http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16727

Old
12-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post41555521

Since we're approaching 1k in posts. Part II is open. Go to the link ^^^^^