HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr's interview to Sovetskiy Sport (12/26/2011)

Old
12-27-2011, 02:24 PM
CSKA1974

vCash: 500
Jagr's interview to Sovetskiy Sport (12/26/2011)

I offer you the NHL relevant excerpts from Jagr’s interview to Sovetskiy Sport (12/26/2011).

The interview was given in Russian after the game in NYC, and I tried to keep the translation as close to the original as possible
By A. Volbidaht

I call Bryzgalov: “Mr. Universe”

Q: Do you call Bryzgalov Mr. Universe?
A: Do you watch 24/7 show on HBO? Bryz reasoned there that the Earth is very small and all our troubles are minuscule on the Universe scale. I have not seen the show yet. But everyone calls Bryz that way, and so do I.
Q: Have you met a funnier goalie in your career?
A: I am glad that Bryz is always joyful. But generally, everyone in the locker room is.
Q: Bryzgalov joined you for breakfast in the second episode, but you left. Why?
A: He is always being followed by a camera man. I did not want to be on the camera- laughs Jagr
Q: What if you share a hotel room with Brysgalov….
A: I would not! And I am NHL veteran; by league’s rules after playing 600 games, I have earned a right to a single room.
Q: But Datsyuk shared a room with him during Olympic Games.
A: I would not! I would demand a trade to another team.- laughs.

On NHL

Q: What to do with concussion epidemic in the NHL?
A: Hockey has become very fast, the players are very strong. They have to punish offenders more seriously. If you caused concussion- large fine and significant DQ; so that they would think twice.
Q: Would NHL ever agree to switch to larger rinks?
A: The league will never do it!

After the NHL I will go to Czech Republic

Q: How are you able to manage your team in Kladno?
A: I manage; happy they have been playing better this season.
Q: Is there a possibility that you will return to play in Russia?
A: I do not think so. I would like to finish my NHL career and then return to Czech. Will play there for a while. I will make my decision after the season.
Q: What would you wish yourself for Christmas?
A: Most importantly- health.
Q: What are you biggest impressions of 2011
A: Flyers. I enjoy playing for this team.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Thanks!!

12-27-2011, 02:33 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Why are these interviews so much better than anything we have here? They always ask the best questions. Thanks again for the translation! I am loving Jagr here and I have a feeling we'll have a couple more years of him.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Ryker

Great stuff, always fun to read.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Why are these interviews so much better than anything we have here? They always ask the best questions. Thanks again for the translation! I am loving Jagr here and I have a feeling we'll have a couple more years of him.
I always wonder the same thing.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Kaktus*

atta boy Jagr. Sign for another year.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:42 PM
decadentia

Thanks man.

Yeah...honestly, they actually ask interesting questions that generate answers other than "Yeah i just figure we need to give 110%, play 60 minutes of hockey that we know we're capable of...and uh...yea"

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Flyerfan4life

lol i would request trade to other team before i share room with him..

haha

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:59 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Because there is still real journalism in Russia and elsewhere in the world.

Everything you read, see, or hear in America is based on one thing -- profit.

(Excuse my rant, I'm pretty annoyed today. Nonetheless it's true.)

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:17 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
I feel like part of it might be that in general, unless someone translates it and posts it on puck daddy fans in North America aren't going to hear what they say, so they feel like they are able to speak more freely. Then, again the questions above, though good weren't exactly hard hitting ones so that doesn't offer as much of an explanation here.

Thanks CSKA!

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:19 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Gotta love the Jagr

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Because there is still real journalism in Russia and elsewhere in the world.

Everything you read, see, or hear in America is based on one thing -- profit.

(Excuse my rant, I'm pretty annoyed today. Nonetheless it's true.)
Thats not really it though. Canned responses are easier to put down on paper with little thought. The journo's(especially within the NHL) seem to have very little understanding of the NHL and the game. The "set up the play" question Iginla was asked the other day was hilarious.

In Russia they are no rules or regulations on what they can ask. They also get honest answers because the interviews rarely make the headlines in the US.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
I find the interviewee's answers to be much more candid. Can't blame them for not wanting to enter the spin cycle that is Philly journalism.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:58 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Thanks man.

Yeah...honestly, they actually ask interesting questions that generate answers other than "Yeah i just figure we need to give 110%, play 60 minutes of hockey that we know we're capable of...and uh...yea"
This sums up what I was getting at. While the players may be more candid overseas or in their native tongue, the interviewers here aren't asking questions that actually elicit thought provoking answers rather than the "110%" crap we're all used to hearing. I look forward to these interviews for this reason.

Old
12-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Ryker

Maybe it's also because when the players say the are "lost in the woods", the organization cracks down on interview giving practices, or when they ask what happened with a certain player of a certain opposing team, the interviewee changes the topic to what he wants to talk about rather than what the interviewer asked.

Old
12-27-2011, 08:03 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Maybe it's also because when the players say the are "lost in the woods", the organization cracks down on interview giving practices, or when they ask what happened with a certain player of a certain opposing team, the interviewee changes the topic to what he wants to talk about rather than what the interviewer asked.
Are you honestly going to say that the English interviewers we have ask thought provoking questions that actually give the interviewee a chance to say something of substance? They always ask the same stupid cliche things, never actually ask about the PERSON versus the PLAYER. Makes a big difference.

Old
12-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Ryker

Yeah, I don't know, really, because I don't read that many interviews. I just see the quick Q&A's after the game is done, press conferences or in-between period interviews, which you probably can't really compare to the above one. I do agree the questions there mostly suck, and are the same from one game to the next, though. But I don't think it's solely the interviewers' fault. Plus, maybe Jagr and the goalies just seem more comfortable answering such questions in their native language.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:23 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Yeah, I don't know, really, because I don't read that many interviews. I just see the quick Q&A's after the game is done, press conferences or in-between period interviews, which you probably can't really compare to the above one. I do agree the questions there mostly suck, and are the same from one game to the next, though. But I don't think it's solely the interviewers' fault. Plus, maybe Jagr and the goalies just seem more comfortable answering such questions in their native language.
Jagr's native language is Czech not Russian.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Jagr's native language is Czech not Russian.
Oh yeah, I missed the fact that it was for a Russian, not a Czech newspaper. OK, make that to questions not in English, then.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:58 PM
MsWoof

When Flyers who are Canadian speak to the Canadian media, they are different compared to when they talk to the Philly media. I rarely read anything from the Philly media anymore, do they ever do features on players where they actually get to know them?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Xegiie

Jagr is quite famous in czech for his intervies, he's always original

And sadly for you, english is somewhat limited in just saying "you" for both, ppl you know and ppl you don't, in czech, everyone in interview like this say "you" in a polite way like you don't know all those ppl. But Jagr say "you" as he's your friend, theres lot of videos on youtube with that its funny and we love it.
Sorry my english is kind of poor so i can't explaint the you thingi better, but i think you get the idea

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:11 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Thats not really it though. Canned responses are easier to put down on paper with little thought. The journo's(especially within the NHL) seem to have very little understanding of the NHL and the game. The "set up the play" question Iginla was asked the other day was hilarious.

In Russia they are no rules or regulations on what they can ask. They also get honest answers because the interviews rarely make the headlines in the US.
I think that is pretty key. My knowledge of the Finnish language is not that good, but I believe Timonen is much more candid when he is interviewed by some news paper/television channel from there as well.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote