HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella for the Adams

Old
12-27-2011, 01:13 PM
gluvhand

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Avery? He won't even be in the league next year. You Avery sympathizers make me laugh out loud. That dog won't bark anymore so get over it already!
He'll have a contract next year at a greatly reduced cap-hit IMHO. The sympathizers are no worse than the detractors.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
If jokes like that continue to have his team hovering at the top of the conference, I will gladly spring for a clown suit.

Jokes aside, this team has been consistently overachieving under Tortorella. There are plenty of teams that boast similar or even greater talent than us that aren't doing anywhere near as well (looking at you, Washington, LA, Anaheim, Buffalo, Tampa, even Islanders).

We were overachieving ever since Torts got here, and that's a mark of a great coach. The difference is that this year our roster is considerably better with another star forward and a bunch of youngsters stepping up (the coaching staff gets major credit for this as well), so the team's overachieving ways are pushing us into the upper echelons of the league, even with our defensive corps decimated, and our PP and several key forwards struggling.

Whether it's his system or his no demanding no BS personality, Tortorella gets the most out of his teams, and I'm glad we're finally seeing the results. Jack Adams is not a long-shot at all.
Bravo! This is a great post. Way to go.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
He'll have a contract next year at a greatly reduced cap-hit IMHO. The sympathizers are no worse than the detractors.
He may have a contract next year but it won't be on this side of the Atlantic ocean, bank on it!

Old
12-27-2011, 01:17 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
He may have a contract next year but it won't be on this side of the Atlantic ocean, bank on it!
We'll see. He has too much going on here to go overseas. I think he'll get a reasonable salary, play his limited time, and will come off looking like a bargain.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The fact you're complaining about this during a damn good time to be a Ranger fan is the real joke here.
Damn skippy! Some people just can't get over their love affair with Avery. Geez, just accept the fact that Avery is "insignificant" and when he's finally off the team and out of the league next year, I guarantee there won't be any tears shed.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
We'll see. He has too much going on here to go overseas. I think he'll get a reasonable salary, play his limited time, and will come off looking like a bargain.
You mean for us? Hmmm, gotta admit that would be a big surprise but I guess stranger things have happened.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Opps, left out one thing. I want to make it clear that I'm not an Avery hater. I really believe he has skill, can contribute and has been a good soldier this year under some trying circumstances(being waived, sent down, healthy scratch, etc). EC on the other hand I detest as a player because his personality and game are devoid of emotion.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

One thing that May be a torts addition is the set plays off the faceoff and the aggressive plays that keep the other team from pinching too much. Sending Gabby or Hangelin up the ice and keeping other teams honest... Love it.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:44 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Right on! The guy is a master motivator and has pushed all the right buttons with line changes, motivating certain players, etc. He does a great job deflecting criticism of his players and when they do play lousy, he puts the heat on himself by his less than cordial post game conferences. I for one couldn't care less how he responds to the media when dinosaurs like Stan Fischler ask dumb questions after a loss. I always detested Tom Renny's habit of waxing poetic and kissing up to the media after a horrendous loss. Torts is the man!
Lots of posters were ragging on him about changing lines at the start of the season when things were not going well, well the teams on a roll and guess what lines have remained relatively intact and that's a product of success on the ice, and the gripes about juggling lines have gone away.

How many Head Coach press conferences in any sport do you hear the coach say anything significant?

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:52 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
You mean for us? Hmmm, gotta admit that would be a big surprise but I guess stranger things have happened.
LOL...no. Not for the Rangers. I think that ship is getting ready to sail.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
LOL...no. Not for the Rangers. I think that ship is getting ready to sail.
You mean getting ready to sail with a potential destination/landing point? Hope so for his sake but I'm afraid that ship may be out to sea for a while before it finds a port.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:00 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
You mean getting ready to sail with a potential destination/landing point? Hope so for his sake but I'm afraid that ship may be out to sea for a while before it finds a port.
No. No destination in sight. Just...sailing. LOL

Old
12-27-2011, 02:17 PM
94now

With goalie above .93 SV% any coach will sail this ship. Everyone just love an a-whole turning positive all of the sudden, hockey or not. Instead of Jack Adams I'd give him a Jackass award.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:20 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now;41522057[B
]With goalie above .93 SV% any coach will sail this ship. [/B]Everyone just love an a-whole turning positive all of the sudden, hockey or not. Instead of Jack Adams I'd give him a Jackass award.
Tell that to Los Angeles.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:46 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
With goalie above .93 SV% any coach will sail this ship. Everyone just love an a-whole turning positive all of the sudden, hockey or not. Instead of Jack Adams I'd give him a Jackass award.
Has it occurred to you that he hasn't changed at all and whats actually happened is that people have begun to see him as a real person thanks to 24/7 and are realizing that he's not just the childish caricature that they always assumed him to be? I don't think he's gone from an a-hole to a positive person - people have just realized that he's a real human and that stupid labels like "a-hole" don't accurately sum up his personality.

Aside from that, personality change isn't why people are talking him up, its because the team that he runs is playing incredible hockey.

Lastly, it's really ironic that you're talking about other people judging him positively based on personality traits rather than performance while at the very same time you're harping on his personality and the parts of it that you don't like instead of giving him credit for running a very successful hockey team. The record doesn't lie. He's coaching this team very, very well and no amount of soft, mopey pessimism changes that.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:58 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
The thing is, it isn't just Lundqvist & Biron that are responsible for those save percentages... The team contributes to those save percentages by employing the defensive system the coaches have put in place... It's everything from the defensemen blocking shots and taking away passing lanes to negate scoring opportunities to the forwards back-checking to negate odd-man rushes and coming down low to help with coverages in front of the net.... All of which can be tied to the coaching staff and how they have managed these players.... The players deserve their fair share of the credit, as do the coaches.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:29 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its been the only complaint about Tortorella recently.

Im sure it makes plenty people laugh being how stupid the criticism has been.

Not you though.
the criticism from certain people may be over the top but i always think i've been fair whether someone disagrees or not. i'd rather have 1 sean avery over 26 eric christensens. its not something i want the coach fired for though.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
the criticism from certain people may be over the top but i always think i've been fair whether someone disagrees or not. i'd rather have 1 sean avery over 26 eric christensens. its not something i want the coach fired for though.
Is it really important? Neither one is playing now.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:37 PM
kovazub94

He completely rebuilt the Rangers team from a soft slow emotionless bunch into a complete opposite in just over 2 seasons and he did it on a fly - each year the team either made it to the play-offs or lost the spot in shootout. The whole body of work that was done since he got here is remarkable.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:56 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
He completely rebuilt the Rangers team from a soft slow emotionless bunch into a complete opposite in just over 2 seasons and he did it on a fly - each year the team either made it to the play-offs or lost the spot in shootout. The whole body of work that was done since he got here is remarkable.
All the while being one of the youngest teams on average, and an even younger D corps.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Really??? Really??? The same clown that coached the Rangers to a 3-3-3 record in the first 9 games? He should've been fired then! Unacceptable.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:46 PM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

vCash: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Really??? Really??? The same clown that coached the Rangers to a 3-3-3 record in the first 9 games? He should've been fired then! Unacceptable.

Shows even more that he could coach them back from that. I was never a Torts basher either. Always thought he did a good job with what he was given.

EpicDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Calad
Section 422

If nothing else, him and his staff has been AWESOME in developing our young players. In the end, isn't that what we've really wanted with this team (outside of a cup, of course)

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post

Torts is the best coach we've had here since Keenan and he's the best damn coach in entire New York area regardless of the sport. Some of you fans need to get your heads surgically extracted from your rear****!

Old
12-27-2011, 08:52 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

The best thing about Torts is that he is not complacent. I always watch the post game conference with Torts because I like his responses in the interviews. He is a coach who never gets on too much of a high, is never satisfied, never complacent. He constantly stresses that they still need to work on things. And you can tell what the answer is going to be to certain questions from reporters before he even answers. He's a good coach. Will he win the Adams, who knows.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote