HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Wilson extended

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Courage*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
Of course there was and there isn't an issue with that, but it's not uncommon for such remarks to be made when frustration sets in.

Capitals were expected to compete now, Toronto was expected to be a bubble team. The team who let their coach go was underachieving while Toronto's coach, who got extended by a measly year, is on par.
And the coaching change (like most, statistically) hasn't made much difference. Watched them last night against the Sabres and it's incredible how terrible and unmotivated they all still look.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
And the coaching change (like most, statistically) hasn't made much difference. Watched them last night against the Sabres and it's incredible how terrible and unmotivated they all still look.
And just to extend this argument, Carolina remain 9 points out of a playoff spot in the East - Muller has improved that gap by just 1 point since he took over. Massive change, right?

When players quit on their coaches, or as Burke put it, have "snipers" in the room, like in the case of Washington and perhaps even in Anaheim as well, then it's time for the coach to go without doubt.

I don't think we are anywhere near that situation in Toronto, with Wilson.

Yeah, the players are expected to speak in praise about their coach when he signs an extension, but their actions on the ice speak louder than words - for me, I don't see a team that has quit on their coach. Rather, I see a team that is working harder now, than they ever have, under this coach.

Can you guys look at Kessel and Lupul? Bozak? Phaneuf? And seriously tell me that they have an issue playing for Ron?

I don't see it.

Finally - say what you want about Brian Burke, but he's a very smart man. If he knew of issues in the room that suggested an overwhelming dislike of Ron, then he wouldn't keep the coach around. Simple

Old
12-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Courage*

No, some would rather us believe their theories over our lying eyes.

I have seen enough hockey to know when a team doesn't like their coach. I was there through Brophy, Watt and Murphy amongst others. I also saw how even a coach who's entire m.o. was motivation and team-building eventually had trouble in his room (Quinn). The signs were all around, and there was - however quiet - rumblings from the dressing
room and the media sharks circled.

In this case, the only "evidence" are the fantasies of interwebz warriors, despite all the evidence to the contrary in front of our faces.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Courage*

Quote:
I also saw how even a coach who's entire m.o. was motivation and team-building eventually had trouble in his room
Should be "whose", not "who's"

Old
12-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Timing is everything and Burke needed to get this contract approved by departing MLSE BOG before Bell/Rogers took over.

Quote:
Ron Wilson calls his contract extension a measure of well-deserved “combat pay”.

Yet, his fight has just begun. To convert the Maple Leafs into an actual playoff team that can contend for years to come and win the battle of public opinion on whether he deserves more term and salary with no guarantee of a fourth year out of the playoffs.

“I’ve coached 19 years and it’s not like I’m a rookie, or that I’m an experiment that could blow up in somebody’s face,” Wilson said. “I have a decent track record and I look more at (the extension) as a sign of respect — respect from the organization more than anything else.”

“I’ve seen lots of coaches (six) get fired this year with lots of term left ,” he retorted. “The pressure doesn’t change. After three years, I get an extension, but I could get fired next week for all I know. I have a little bit of combat pay coming.”

Burke, who would not say how much more rope Wilson now has, would likely have run this deal past the outgoing board of directors of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. But when 2012-13 starts, the new corporate masters from Bell and Rogers will want to see some tangible results.

Full story : http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19171296.html

Old
12-27-2011, 12:24 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Timing is everything and Burke needed to get this contract approved by departing MLSE BOG before Bell/Rogers took over.
Quote:
Ron Wilson calls his contract extension a measure of well-deserved “combat pay”.

Yet, his fight has just begun. To convert the Maple Leafs into an actual playoff team that can contend for years to come and win the battle of public opinion on whether he deserves more term and salary with no guarantee of a fourth year out of the playoffs.

“I’ve coached 19 years and it’s not like I’m a rookie, or that I’m an experiment that could blow up in somebody’s face,” Wilson said. “I have a decent track record and I look more at (the extension) as a sign of respect — respect from the organization more than anything else.”

“I’ve seen lots of coaches (six) get fired this year with lots of term left ,” he retorted. “The pressure doesn’t change. After three years, I get an extension, but I could get fired next week for all I know. I have a little bit of combat pay coming.”

Burke, who would not say how much more rope Wilson now has, would likely have run this deal past the outgoing board of directors of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. But when 2012-13 starts, the new corporate masters from Bell and Rogers will want to see some tangible results.

Full story : http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19171296.html
To me this 1 year extension is a sign of respect for RW.

Obviously, to get a longer extension he needs the team to get into the playoffs, but otherwise I don't think he'd be out of work long if he was not extended.

Other ?successful? coaches are on the market today, but as RW points out with golden handshakes.

If there are no playoffs this year, that may be Ronnie's handshake.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Yeah, because the current management don't want tangible results.

Awesome...

Old
12-27-2011, 12:38 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Probably speaking from experience.

Players speak via their play on the ice and they work hard for Wilson, a subtlety that would escape you.
More sad petty comments from the master of sad petty comments.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:41 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Wilson's extension was given to him because of the excellent results this team has had since last years All-Star game. Straight out of the horses mouth...

Quote:
After spending a few seasons overhauling the roster, Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke was finally satisfied with how his team looked at last season’s All-Star break.

The Maple Leafs have returned to respectability in the Eastern Conference since then, and Burke rewarded Ron Wilson for the turnaround, confirming Monday that the veteran coach has signed a contract extension.

“This coach has earned this extension,” Burke said. “It’s not charity, it’s not a gift.”

The Maple Leafs have not made the playoffs in three seasons under Wilson, who is 119-120-42 overall with Toronto, but the team appears to be on track to change that this season.

Entering Monday night’s games, the Leafs were sixth in the East with 40 points. Wilson has also guided the club to a 36-22-10 record since the middle of the last season.

“It’s pretty impressive, it’s certainly a healthy clip,” Burke said.

Burke confirmed the deal during the second intermission of Monday’s AHL game between the Toronto Marlies and the Hamilton Bulldogs at Air Canada Centre. He did not reveal contract details.

The 56-year-old Wilson was in the final season of a four-year deal.

“When the coach goes into the cage, he needs the chair and the whip—not just one,” Burke said. “It’s not enough to just be the coach for the rest of the season, in my opinion.

“So I think it’s an important statement. I think there’s a respect level involved and I think it was the right thing to do.”

Old
12-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
Yeah, because the current management don't want tangible results.

Awesome...
Current OTPP BOG are going out of business soon, and from this point on they're in the same boat as the rest of Leaf Nation fans that want tangible results without input.

But during their going out business sale Burke is getting all is full autonomy issues passed through the current board. Burke's autonomy is not guaranteed under new ownership as times are changing.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:48 PM
anderson3133

Quote:
Current OTPP BOG are going out of business soon, and from this point on they're in the same boat as the rest of Leaf Nation fans that want tangible results without input.

But during their going out business sale Burke is getting all is full autonomy issues passed through the current board. Burke's autonomy is not guaranteed under new ownership as times are changing.
Pro-tip: The Board of Governors is still headed by Larry Tannenbaum regardless of ownership changes.

He isn't going anywhere, especially after the additional 5% ownership stake he was allotted for allowing the MLSE sale to go through.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
Pro-tip: The Board of Governors is still headed by Larry Tannenbaum regardless of ownership changes.

He isn't going anywhere, especially after the additional 5% ownership stake he was allotted for allowing the MLSE sale to go through.
There's that and the obvious fact that when buying large scale operations like MLSE it's very common that a stipulation. Of sale would be a freeze on new contracts for high profile positions if there is any concern over current operations management. From all the details of the sale I've heard, the bidders are happy to have the day to day operations remain as is, otherwise they'd have forced Tanenbaum out rather than having him increase his stake and stay on as CEO.

More bovine scatology.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:02 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
When you and I converse I never take anything personally, I hope you do not either. You are knowledgable, I like to think I am also. We just disagree on a few hot points.

I have stated this numerous times on this thread, Wilson's so called developmental strength is he allows players a creative license to play, without the confines of structure. The way this team plays allows players like Kessel to play their games without stunting their natural talents. This is what Wilson has does.

But as I mentioned to you, where is the instruction you are suggesting to me of Wilson bringing to this team. PK? Defensive awareness? Pinching? Giveaways? Active sticks? Stick placement which lead to bad penalties?

Players develop themselves through progression of their own talent, experience, playing time, self maturity, age. ect...All coaches in the NHL can do what Wilson has done, throw them out there and let them play themselves into competent NHL players.

Again it wasn't until Kadri was sent down to Eakins before he understood 'danger areas' in his game. The minors is where he developed, now that he has this experience under his belt, he can now be on his way into developing himself into a good NHL'er. All the coach has to do is give him a chance. All coach's give players chances sooner than later, it's impossible to keep a great talent down. Ie. Kessel

So while you want to keep perpetrating this Wilson is a great developmental coach here. What he is doing is no different than what a lot of coach's do. It's standard practice, look at Rennie's record.

Right now Wilson is being judged on his coaching record, these are facts and stats that cannot be argued. If he makes the playoffs and we show well there, I will welcome him back. If he misses the playoffs, or we get blown out in the 1st rd. Then I suspect that 1 year extension will turn into a nice severance package.
Thanks for answering the question, although I did have to read between the lines. You've given me no reason to believe you.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:09 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
More sad petty comments from the master of sad petty comments.
Took a beating from a bunch of people for a dumb observation and takes it out on me.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Vexxed14

Without reading through this thread now that I am back from holidays, I would like to add that this extension really does nothing to change the situation of Ron Wilson. It just allows hims to focus on hockey for the next couple months. No making the dance will still be the end of his job and even making the playoffs wont guarantee anything.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:19 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Lance is so good at making his own speculation look like it's owned by somebody else.............

Burke gets a budget approved at the board level for operations, after that as President and GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs he spends that budget as he sees fit

his initial contract with MLS&E is predicated on his autonomy with the hockey club, that is not to say that he doesn't speak with Larry or Richard on certain decisions, becasue you can bet he does. His dealings with the board and certain members would solely be to keep the boss' in the loop not to ask permission

Old
12-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post41523101

Second part to Wilson's Contract extension.