HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs Sabres - 1st Niagara Center - 7pm - 12/26/11

Old
12-27-2011, 03:36 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I'm not having more fun now watching the Caps than I did two Decembers ago, but I'm having more fun than I have the past three springs.
less fun now + no more fun in the spring=not as much.

my point is this sucks and i see no sign that this crap on ice is directly connected to winning at least two rounds of playoffs this spring. there's a good chance of no playoffs this spring.

so many here thought that what was going on before this october sucked because they didnt get close to a cup. well, this is worse and getting worse yet.

yea. lets go ahead and fire mcphee and trade half the players and return to waiting and hoping for playoffs.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:59 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

It seems I'm one of the few that doesn't think the team is hopeless, or needs a major face lift.

A few moves and some confidence can turn it around.

Trade away the soft non-producers (Semin, Schultz, Hamrlik) and get an impact forward and top-4 defenseman and they'll be fine. A big acquisition could really give them a confidence boost.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:06 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Im just going with the cleaning house since I dont think Mafki can do anything your saying to do above (that I all agree with)

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:07 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
It seems I'm one of the few that doesn't think the team is hopeless, or needs a major face lift.

Trade away the soft non-producers (Semin, Schultz, Hamrlik) and get an impact forward and top-4 defenseman and they'll be fine. A big acquisition could really give them a confidence boost.
I don't see how you don't consider trading away three roster players to be a major face lift.

ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

I'm even fine with keeping Semin for now as he is at least putting in the effort to change his game. One of Schultz and Hamrlik has to go, though, preferably for an upgrade on D. Hamrlik moving would provide more flexibility, but to me he has looked much more confident and decisive since the coaching change.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:

Ha. He didn't do it 20 games ago when he should have. He didn't move Semin/Schultz a season ago, he didn't move them two seasons ago. Keep holding out hope that it's going to happen now that their value has eroded to the point of being negative.

I do think this mess is fixable, but I have no faith that it's going to be fixed.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:11 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
I don't see how you don't consider trading away three roster players to be a major face lift.
One has barely played since Hunter took over and one's been here for less than half a season.

It would be just over 10% roster turnover. That's tweaking to me, not a major face lift

Old
12-27-2011, 04:13 PM
txpd

oh...i dont know that its curtains this season or for this team as its built. thats said ovechkin semin and green are the key to making it work. just like in the past. i bet if ovechkin had a ten burst of 15pts the caps would win 8 of them. 6 or 7 points every ten games ain't gonna make it work.

same goes for semin and same goes for green. face it, the top end of this lineup is killing them with the exception of backtrom to some degree. you can blame hamrlik or schultz or laich or neuvirth if you want to, but it comes back to the top of the roster.

its a limiting factor. the confidene this team plays with when ov is on his game is palpable. when he's not, they suffer. its unavoidable.

Old
12-27-2011, 04:14 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Ha. He didn't do it 20 games ago when he should have. He didn't move Semin/Schultz a season ago, he didn't move them two seasons ago. Keep holding out hope that it's going to happen now that their value has eroded to the point of being negative.

I do think this mess is fixable, but I have no faith that it's going to be fixed.
I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but it could easily be turned around with a few moves.

And I don't think Semin and/or Schultz have negative value. You're probably not going to get great assets for them, but they're certainly movable, in my mind. Neither one would make it through waivers, for example.

Old
12-27-2011, 04:18 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:

Sorry but if you are thinking that the usual suspects are going to return any "quality" game changing players you are sadly delusional.

Other team GM's are salivating over the likes of what the Caps have as draft picks and prospects such as Kuznetsov and Holtby. It's with those assets where the conversation begins with other GM's and not with our broken toys. I for one take a pass.

That formula of trading a pick here or there to acquire the "missing piece" has not worked when it was Joe Corvo or Jason Arnott. Time to move pieces for picks and reshape not just the future via the picks/draft but the immediate team come July 1 with Hunter's input.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:21 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

But to make these moves to salvage the season now, you get little for those 3, and you send out major assets to acquire the 2 positions you desire. Semin will be hard due to salary at this time of year.

Or...

You bag the season. Sell Semin at deadline for likely a first. Wideman probably 2nd + B level prospect. Trade the rest you want to dump before UFA.

Choice 2 leaves them going forward in a better situation for a mini-restart. Choice 1 could work, but what's the likelihood based on 1/3 of the season and with only about 4-6 weeks left to make that choice?

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:22 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I never said they'd return any quality game changing players. I said they needed to be moved, and some quality players brought in. Separate moves, most likely.

Old
12-27-2011, 04:22 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
replacing a 5 and 7 d is really not a thing. semin is. i wouldnt call it a major facelift really. three primaries? semin, green and laich? thats different.

Old
12-27-2011, 04:25 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:

I tend to agree with you. I'm not convinced Semin has to go, but I wouldn't cry over it either. 1 solid D man and a solid top 6 fwd (center man, preferably) and, so long as the goalies pull themselves together, that's a big improvement.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:26 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I think if they were going to make a legit improvement, you might have to look to see what kind of older, bigger center that MoJo may bring in a trade.

edit: But again you're asking GMGM to look in the mirror at his faults

Old
12-27-2011, 04:27 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:

I am 100% with you. Even w/o trading who we have right now, I think this year is very salvageable. There are tons of teams in the league that would kill to have our roster. Right now our issues are two folds, IMO: 1) Team has no confidence in itself 2) Slight confusion from the system change.

I think if they can string together 3-4 wins in a row, nice, solid wins... I think we can get on a roll. Our guys right now are very unsure of themselves. We need a vocal leader, someone who can lift their spirits up a little.

tycoonheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I'm not a fan of Wideman, but give GMGM credit, that was a steal in getting him from the Panthers for a 3rd round draft choice and Jake Hauswirth. I suppose it was due to Wideman still having another year left on his 3.9 contract at the time.

Wideman's offensive side I believe could get at minimum a 2nd rounder in return this season.

McPhee tends to win trades it terms of "value" but really--if the player creates bad chemistry then it's just spinning your wheels in place.

Jagr was a great value trade but was terrible for chemistry. Yeah, yeah that was Ted.

Corvo had talent but was a terrible fit.

Shamo and a #1 for Gonchar. Seemed like good value. But Shamo was about 1/1000 as good as Gonch.

Feds was a great trade all the way around.

I dunno, McPhee is too slow. He's like MacPhail was for the Orioles--he does a few good things but he's too passive.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:30 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
I never said they'd return any quality game changing players. I said they needed to be moved, and some quality players brought in. Separate moves, most likely.
some quality players = first round draft choice/Kuznetsov/Holtby going the other way

You have to ask yourself, even if such quality players were brought in, do you see this team competing with the likes of Tim Thomas and the Bruins or Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers come the playoffs. Because I don't.

Old
12-27-2011, 04:33 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I think if they were going to make a legit improvement, you might have to look to see what kind of older, bigger center that MoJo may bring in a trade.
I'd be fine with that. He's good, but totally tradable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Right now our issues are two folds, IMO: 1) Team has no confidence in itself 2) Slight confusion from the system change.
I think there's a third issue: goaltending. Those guys need to pull it together. I've been blaming Pryor because of Neuvy's drop off, but whatever it is, it needs fixin'.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:37 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I'd be fine with that. He's good, but totally tradable.

I think there's a third issue: goaltending. Those guys need to pull it together. I've been blaming Pryor because of Neuvy's drop off, but whatever it is, it needs fixin'.
I think the goalie issue is related to team confidence as well. Both Noovy and Vokoun are making uncharacteristic mistakes.

tycoonheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:38 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
But to make these moves to salvage the season now, you get little for those 3, and you send out major assets to acquire the 2 positions you desire. Semin will be hard due to salary at this time of year.

Or...

You bag the season. Sell Semin at deadline for likely a first. Wideman probably 2nd + B level prospect. Trade the rest you want to dump before UFA.

Choice 2 leaves them going forward in a better situation for a mini-restart. Choice 1 could work, but what's the likelihood based on 1/3 of the season and with only about 4-6 weeks left to make that choice?
I like your thinking. When we have the equivalent of the Arab Spring on these HF Boards and we unceremoniously remove Mr. Warden, I'm pushing for you as the Supreme Mod. Then we can move on to those elitist, Strung etc..

Old
12-27-2011, 04:43 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I like your thinking. When we have the equivalent of the Arab Spring on these HF Boards and we unceremoniously remove Mr. Warden, I'm pushing for you as the Supreme Mod. Then we can move on to those elitist, Strung etc..
I know you're joking.

But I'm not when I say you probably don't remember that you just posted this after rushing to the bathroom

Old
12-27-2011, 04:45 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
i say no moves, they dont need a line up change to tell them that they suck right now. i think they need to grow/fight together as a team and with a bit luck they are in the playoffs at the end of the season, anything is possible after that, i think of the pens and flyers playoff runs with new coaches.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:47 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
i say no moves, they dont need a line up change to tell them that they suck right now. i think they need to grow/fight together as a team and with a bit luck they are in the playoffs at the end of the season, anything is possible after that, i think of the pens and flyers playoff runs with new coaches.
Avatar shout out to Warden's feed

#Imiss2008Caps

Old
12-27-2011, 05:05 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

If that doesn't qualify as a major facelift....I don't know what does.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote